• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I really hope there's going to be a single player "campaign" in the cops&robbers' pack.

Also, I hate how they divided the game's language support in EU.
I can only choose between italian (ugh!) and french (aaaaaargh!).
Every game thati is not Multi 5 to begin with should give me a language option settings in-game. I have my 360 set in english to play my games that way, but since there's no english dub/menu in the italian sku of BP, the game just starts in french and stays that way :p(

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm disappointed that the trophies for the PS3 version are very easy. They don't even have a trophy for Elite Burnout license, what the hell?

Oreoleo

jett said:
holy fuck there are video cards with two fucking gigs of memory? is there anything that actually takes advantage of that?

It's more useful for super high-res gaming than anything, games don't use that much video card RAM at normal resolutions.

crispyben

Wario64 said:
I'm disappointed that the trophies for the PS3 version are very easy. They don't even have a trophy for Elite Burnout license, what the hell?
They were implented late in the game's lifecycle and were not retroactive, so they're easy so as not to piss off those who had to start over from a completed gamesave...

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
dk_ said:
Where? Never happened to me before...
The run is called Falling Down, all the way on the left of the map. It's right after you begin. Just fall outside of the track into the mountains.

fistfulofmetal said:
well they aren't basically the same. One has 2gigs of memory and the other only has 512mbs.

I'm using a HD 4850 and it's pretty good. If you have the money I'd say go for the higher end model but the lower end one will probably do you just fine.
So the 512 it is as this will be one of 5 games I own on the PC. It's a start, right?

Wizpig

Dash Kappei said:
I really hope there's going to be a single player "campaign" in the cops&robbers' pack.

Also, I hate how they divided the game's language support in EU.
I can only choose between italian (ugh!) and french (aaaaaargh!).
Every game thati is not Multi 5 to begin with should give me a language option settings in-game. I have my 360 set in english to play my games that way, but since there's no english dub/menu in the italian sku of BP, the game just starts in french and stays that way :p(
Same, but i recently put my 360 in Italian again, since in English "bugs" like those can happen.

Keikoku said:
MSPR say hi.

I'm sorry, what? I know you're not trying to say I'm part of Microsoft's PR team. That would make no sense whatsoever, a) being as the game is multi-platform, b) as I actually own the PSN version.

Maybe you meant MSRP, as in Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price? But that, also, is a sensless nonsequitur.

I don't think I can help you...

crispyben

Blast Processing said:
I'm sorry, what? I know you're not trying to say I'm part of Microsoft's PR team. That would make no sense whatsoever, a) being as the game is multi-platform, b) as I actually own the PSN version.

Maybe you meant MSRP, as in Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price? But that, also, is a sensless nonsequitur.

I don't think I can help you...
He means you might also like MotorStorm Pacific Rift as a different racing game this gen :)

crispyben

Blast Processing said:
That makes more sense! I hadn't heard anything about post-release support for it, but I'll check it out.
DLC was announced, but nothing specific, I think he meant more in the sense that there's another worthwhile, quite different arcade racer this gen, when you said BP was all you needed.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
So, how much did the game sell? I know it's over a million but that was back in april. I wonder if the rereleases and free DLC has helped them alot. Would be nice if they made success press releases so hopefully other games would follow suit!

Man this patch has really got me back into this, 100% the bikes yesterday (the 4th bike is soooo good) and 100% the jumps and smashes tonight, remaining 4 billboards tomorrow then onto my Burnout license and beyond. :D

RotBot

I just realized that the street signs at the top of the screen hit the center right when you reach its intersection. That would have helped with the races when I was going for Elite.

McLovin

Is it my imagination or did the frame-rate get a slight bump? I could have sworn it didn't look this smooth the last time I played it.

Pimpbaa

Orellio said:
It's more useful for super high-res gaming than anything, games don't use that much video card RAM at normal resolutions.

Textures take up the majority of the ram on a video card, not the frame buffer.

Fun engine but everytime I play this game I have the same issue. It's very difficult for me to recognize turn offs and respond to them in time even with the left or right indicator at the top of the screen. My eyes end up glued to that or trying to spot the turns on the map therefore I can't concentrate on the racing. No way could I have played this game without the retry option.

I simply would prefer closed off tracks like in the prior games although obviously that is a personal opinion. I wish they would split off the series and put out a game for those that simply preferred it the old way and simply have two games maybe where you alternate betweeen years or something.

Nikorasu

Holy crap. I just got nearly $300 million in a single showtime. Over 1000 cars smashed and about 60 buses. It took like half an hour. It got to the point where I just had to stop.

I didn't even get an achievement for it. What a gyp. :(

edgefusion

Nikorasu said:
Holy crap. I just got nearly $300 million in a single showtime. Over 1000 cars smashed and about 60 buses. It took like half an hour. It got to the point where I just had to stop.

I didn't even get an achievement for it. What a gyp. :(

o_O In. The. Zone.

Mar

FTWer said:
Do you still have to come to a dead stop & wait a few seconds to end a race or can you now just select quit & end it?

Is this going to be the new 'retry complaint' now that they've put in retry? Come on man. It's not hard to stop for 5 seconds then go about your merry way.

Returners

OK I'm now officially on board with 1.6 upgrades.

After playing it for 2 hrs straight, I love the new colors and what it brings to the game. The handling (the Hawker that I use the most) is much better (but I don't know if its tighter or looser). Either way, I'm looking to pop this game in every single day now.

Also looked at the PS3 Criterion Game Network website. Very nice.
One suggestion, incorporation Burnoutteamrocks.com functionality would be much awesome :D.

Do you guys find yourselves using the compass or the minimap more?

I look to the minimap out of habit, but I really wish there was a way to turn it off to break myself of it.

Ryn

I keep staring at the minimap during races, and end up crashing because I'm not watching where I'm going. Oops. :lol

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Stoney Mason said:
Fun engine but everytime I play this game I have the same issue. It's very difficult for me to recognize turn offs and respond to them in time even with the left or right indicator at the top of the screen. My eyes end up glued to that or trying to spot the turns on the map therefore I can't concentrate on the racing. No way could I have played this game without the retry option.

I simply would prefer closed off tracks like in the prior games although obviously that is a personal opinion. I wish they would split off the series and put out a game for those that simply preferred it the old way and simply have two games maybe where you alternate betweeen years or something.

I agree with you whole-hardedly on this one. I was avoiding purchasing this game due to it's lack of split-screen, but ended up getting it cheap on sale. I'm enjoying it, but having to pay attention to where I'm going in terms of the city is killing the appeal for me. I can't even take shortcuts as I have no idea if they will get me to the finish line faster or lead me half way across the city. I'm also having trouble with the online mode, as it seems much too difficult to just start a quick-race against 7 other people like in Revenge.

Sean

Banned
Teetris said:
So, how much did the game sell? I know it's over a million but that was back in april. I wonder if the rereleases and free DLC has helped them alot. Would be nice if they made success press releases so hopefully other games would follow suit!

Not nearly enough:

To these successes we add Burnout Paradise, the latest iteration of the well-regarded Burnout series and the first on current generation consoles. It moved around 230,000 units (for the Xbox 360 and PS3 combined) when it launched in January of this year, yet the game is just now reaching 600,000 units LTD, even with heavily promoted gratis downloadable content. It goes without saying that Burnout Paradise probably has not lived up to the company's expectations. (It should be noted here that the complete PlayStation 3 game is available for download from Sony's PlayStation Store and sales figures for that version have not been released by either Sony or Electronic Arts.)

ea-sales.png

Ploid 3.0

Rapping Granny said:
Any trophy whores want to do the 8-player meet up at the stadium trophy? and the bike one.

Any time on Tuesday is good for me.

I'll do it, just to be there. I don't have it but I don't have most trophies in the game. Who knows, maybe someone will start a bumper car match in the arena. I gotta be there to see it.

RG already know my PSN, but just in case.

PSN: Ploid

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Rapping Granny said:
Any trophy whores want to do the 8-player meet up at the stadium trophy? and the bike one.

Any time on Tuesday is good for me.

Count me in. Lemme know if you can get 6 others. I can probably get 1 more, maybe 2.

Sean said:
I won't put a lot of weight on that. Burnout is a much much bigger title for Europe, and those NPD numbers won't do much for that.

Canada had to fight tooth and nails to get on the top 12 countries to be included in the leaderboard. 12. 9 EU countries were ahead.

Coen

Android18a said:
If you know anyone who doesn't own Burnout Paradise, sort them out :p Slap 'em around until they're converted.

I did! Recommended it to a friend of mine, who got a PS3 mainly for GTA IV, Rock Band and media capabilities. Bugged the shit out of him to get, I just knew he would be into it. So yesterday at a basketball game, he mentioned he got it and was going to play it. That night, I got a text thanking me for the recommendation and that he was really hooked. :)

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Stoney Mason said:

How long did you play the game? If it's a short period, give it some time to get used to the city and start knowing a few of the important places. Just go have fun across the map looking for jumps, shortcuts and billboards. Going online to do challenges help me a lot too.

Top Bottom