• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

AlphaTwo00 said:
Since 1.6/PSN/PC version, the Product Code was removed. It was suggested that rolling back to previous versions can work.
PSN 1.5 was like this as well. I might just download the game again and see what happens if you don't patch it at all because I did enjoy the Gamestop car for some reason.
TheGreatDave said:
I'd buy it as a digital download, if that helps!

To be honest, I'd much rather have had a new Burnout game come out this year than the patches/bikes put in this game. I can't be the only one that would rather pay for a whole new game than just download some add-ons for an old one?
After all the hype about the island, I want that to come out before I hear about Burnout Paradise 2. Maybe Jan 2010, two years later? Though that'll probably be Black 2. They keep putting Black into the pod casts after all.

This game is FINALLY back in stock at Amazon. It's not at my local EB and every single Best Buy in my area is sold out. I can't wait to give this a whirl now that they fixed the retry issue.

Mar

It's a shame restart wasn't added before the end of the year. I bet the game would have gone much better in GAFs GotY list due to the extra exposure. I fully believe those who are enjoying it now would have always enjoyed it, restart or no. But they never even gave the game a chance.

Did like 200 challenges in 4 days:lol

I had my Criterion elite license and all the challenges done before the trophy patch. Slowly working my way back up with each new piece of DLC that is added. Gives me a reason to come back and play this awesome game:D

Mar_ said:
It's a shame restart wasn't added before the end of the year. I bet the game would have gone much better in GAFs GotY list due to the extra exposure. I fully believe those who are enjoying it now would have always enjoyed it, restart or no. But they never even gave the game a chance.

I'd put 20 hours in to Burnout before the patch, so saying I didn't enjoy it would be a stretch, but I made next to no progress in the main game because of how stupid the lack of retry is. If it had been there at launch I'm certain I would have played it a lot longer and achieved a lot more.

Now all I need is a patch to turn off slow motion crashes and I'll go for my Burnout license.

jts

...hate me...
I imagine I got incredibly lucky because the first time I tried to do Freeburn Challenges, one of them was to meet up at the stadium, so there was my trophy.

Anyway, got Platinum. It's a shame that the Elite Licence won't give any trophy but hey... I'll try to get it anyway.

Barso

Banned
I am looking to invest in burnout paradise ult. edition but which version has the more popular and better online community?
Thanks everyone for your advice.

crispyben

Barso said:
I am looking to invest in burnout paradise ult. edition but which version has the more popular and better online community?
Thanks everyone for your advice.
PSN community is alive and open, between 70 and 100 rooms at all times.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Teetris said:
So, how would you get 1000000 in a stunt event? Any specific events?

Pick up a stunt car
Boost to avoid the multiplier to reset
????
Win

Any event will do since you can drive for as long as you want with the boost trick.

glaurung

TTP said:
Pick up a stunt car
Boost to avoid the multiplier to reset
????
Win

Any event will do since you can drive for as long as you want with the boost trick.

You probably forgot to add the line saying: try not to crash into anything.

In theory, you can do a string of multiple billboards through the city with massive jumps, the easiest route starts from the country club corner, going East through the beach (massive jumps and some barrel rolls if you're good), then through the Eastern warehouses (again, massive jumps plus two billboards; try stringing flatspins with jumps and billboards), then South down the street, got some billboards on the side and in the buildings, then back up the other way street with some jumps and at least 3 billboards.

Provided you do not crash too often, that route nets you a ton of score.

Sectus

Okay, that was actually awesome. I just won my last burning route in the game in perhaps the coolest way possible.

One of the most frustrating things in the game is probably crashing just before the goal. In races that always means a fail, and it usually means a fail in burning routes as well considering how much time you lose once you crash. But in this burning route, I noticed the timer seemed strict so I tried my best to drive safely but still fairly fast. And just before the finish line (with 2 seconds left on the clock), I crashed into a car.

So I immediately thought "Damnit! I failed the stupid event and now I retry." but while I saw my car flying around in the crash I got an achievement! Which made me super confused, but I got the achievement for finishing all the burning routes, and after the crash sequence it showed that I won that event. Which was pretty neat, that's the only time I won during a crash.

Oni Jazar

Sectus said:
Okay, that was actually awesome. I just won my last burning route in the game in perhaps the coolest way possible.

One of the most frustrating things in the game is probably crashing just before the goal. In races that always means a fail, and it usually means a fail in burning routes as well considering how much time you lose once you crash. But in this burning route, I noticed the timer seemed strict so I tried my best to drive safely but still fairly fast. And just before the finish line (with 2 seconds left on the clock), I crashed into a car.

So I immediately thought "Damnit! I failed the stupid event and now I retry." but while I saw my car flying around in the crash I got an achievement! Which made me super confused, but I got the achievement for finishing all the burning routes, and after the crash sequence it showed that I won that event. Which was pretty neat, that's the only time I won during a crash.

Cool! Maybe it was a driveaway crash.

zeloe326

Holy shiz, Burnout has a restart patch. Runs to local gamestop to re-buy game. Thank heavens, its only 20 bucks brand new. No re-start was the only reason I sold it in the first place.

any more news about the Cops and robbers?

EDIT: Like will it just be 8 players online where 1 player is the robber or can I play it offline? ;o

PuMa

zeloe326 said:
Holy shiz, Burnout has a restart patch. Runs to local gamestop to re-buy game. Thank heavens, its only 20 bucks brand new. No re-start was the only reason I sold it in the first place.

Just dont be the next guy that asks how to restart.

Wizpig

TheGreatDave said:
To be honest, I'd much rather have had a new Burnout game come out this year than the patches/bikes put in this game. I can't be the only one that would rather pay for a whole new game than just download some add-ons for an old one?
11kw4mx.gif

Just kidding, i'd love a new Burnout too, but it's obvious that it's not coming out anytime soon and i'm still having so much fun with this i honestly don't care.
Don't forget: if they rush it, it could become the next Burnout Revenge:D
I don't even know if Burnout 6 will come out in this generation, anyway...

Returners

Teetris said:

Know some places to get huge multipliers. (Quarry, the Beach)

I would stay away from carparks. Easy to lose multipliers while trying to get up there.

crispyben said:
These cars were pre-order or launch-related promos, so from this point of view they have no meaning 6 months or a year later...

yeah but don't those cars count towards the total amount you can get?
i'm not that bummed about removing that feature because i already have the cars on a complete save i made when the game came out, but i'm playing the game again and i would really like some of those.
oh well

crispyben

kazuma_pt said:
yeah but don't those cars count towards the total amount you can get?
i'm not that bummed about removing that feature because i already have the cars on a complete save i made when the game came out, but i'm playing the game again and i would really like some of those.
oh well
Getting one of these cars increases the possible total, so I don't think their removal would leave you with a "75/79 cars" type of thing.

Giard

Should I buy this for 20$? I'm not a huge fan of racing games, but I like them once in a while.

Are there impressive crashes like the other Burnout games? I've never played one of them btw. Online multi is good? Split-screen?

glaurung

Giard said:
Should I buy this for 20$? I'm not a huge fan of racing games, but I like them once in a while.

Are there impressive crashes like the other Burnout games? I've never played one of them btw. Online multi is good? Split-screen?

Yes, yes you should.

Though there is no old-style crash mode, and no split screen, the online is godly and the overall quality is mind-blowing.

shpankey

not an idiot
Giard said:
Should I buy this for 20$? I'm not a huge fan of racing games, but I like them once in a while. The fact that there have been people playing this for over a year hardcore should testify to this and its quality.

Yes... just trust us... go buy it. You can thank us later. I'm a racing fanatic and this is hands down the best arcade racer I've ever played. You will NEVER get more value for your money either.

Online play has to be seen to be believed... it's so quick and easy to get in a full match... it took me awhile to even believe it did it that fast and easy. It's hard to describe, but say you start up your game, you are in the city and cruising around doing stuff. Hit the D-Pad to the right 3 times quickly and in literally a mere 2 to 3 seconds you are online in a full game... and you are in the online city right where you were in the city by yourself. It's insane. I wish all developers would make online play so quick, seamless and painless. I continually marvel at their implementation every single time I play.

I could sit here and deliver more hyperbole and believe it or not, it still wouldn't do the game justice. Just go get it man and join in on the fun. PSN you can get it on your hard drive... both 360 and PS3 online communities are thriving. I like the 360 controller but PS3 has a few handy little extras (not much). I've been playing on PS3 and it's incredible in every regard. I especially like how they took time to make the cars sound MEAN. :)

Returners

Giard said:

YES

Giard

Thanks for the replies, I guess I'm off to buy it soon.

So the newest patches adds restarting and an older one added motorcycles? Seems nice.

What's the general opinion about the Party DLC? It looks fun.

NeoUltima

Teetris said:
I got like 1.4 mil from a single 'trick'. I was somewhere near the observatory and somehow managed to fly over the railing. I was in the air, rolling around, going down the mountain for like idk 5-10 seconds and amazingly landed on my wheels all the way down on a road near the city. It was the craziest shit I ever seen in the game. It's too hard to describe, I wish I had a video.

PatzCU

Played online for the first time last night with a friend of mine. OH. MY. GOD. Really, I haven't had this much fun on Xbox LIVE ever, and there were only 2 of us. I was just going through and picking some random freeburn challenges for 2 people. We managed to knock out colliding in midair off a bridge jump, chaining oncoming traffic, and doing simultaneous barrel rolls (although the barrel roll one was somewhat difficult as we keep bumping into each other in midair).

What a great game, it just keeps on giving! Can't wait to do some more online tonight.

crispyben

dreamer3kx said:
i haven't played online yet, how does it work? Do you just log in and it randomly chooses events?
You can chose to host a game, pick a game, join a game at random. Then it all depends on the host, who can start events (Marked Man, Road Rage, Stunt Run), races (with several variables) or challenges (timed or not, there are 490 total, for 2 to 8 players). All this from a few pushes in the EasyDrive menu :D

Oni Jazar

shpankey said:
Yes... just trust us... go buy it. You can thank us later. I'm a racing fanatic and this is hands down the best arcade racer I've ever played. You will NEVER get more value for your money either.

Online play has to be seen to be believed... it's so quick and easy to get in a full match... it took me awhile to even believe it did it that fast and easy. It's hard to describe, but say you start up your game, you are in the city and cruising around doing stuff. Hit the D-Pad to the right 3 times quickly and in literally a mere 2 to 3 seconds you are online in a full game... and you are in the online city right where you were in the city by yourself. It's insane. I wish all developers would make online play so quick, seamless and painless. I continually marvel at their implementation every single time I play.

I could sit here and deliver more hyperbole and believe it or not, it still wouldn't do the game justice. Just go get it man and join in on the fun. PSN you can get it on your hard drive... both 360 and PS3 online communities are thriving. I like the 360 controller but PS3 has a few handy little extras (not much). I've been playing on PS3 and it's incredible in every regard. I especially like how they took time to make the cars sound MEAN. :)

As cool getting online is in Paradise, I think Test Drive Unlimited did it better IMO. Right when you started you were online and there were human drivers all around you. Pull up to one and you can race to any point or just follow them around the HUGE map. Friends will have priority and show up in your gamespace. Really the most revolutionary non MMORPG system that I've seen in a game.

dreamer3kx said:
i haven't played online yet, how does it work? Do you just log in and it randomly chooses events?
You can connect to random games, there are three key branches:

Freeburn
Ranked/Player Races
Ranked Events

Races and Events are self explanatory. The host has selected those events, and the event can start once the host selects it.

Freeburn is up to the host. They can choose to do nothing, or trigger timed or freeburn challenges.

Just started playing this recently and I'm really enjoying it. I just love the fact that there's so much to do. Haven't hoped online yet, but will probably do so once I get more familiar with the city.

RotBot

I'd like to point out that Burnout Paradise came out on the PS3 in January 2008, notifies you when your friends are online, and lets you invite and join them from in-game (right on the d-pad). Yet we're still getting games released that force you to use the XMB friends list to check who's in-game and send messages with an invite attachment.

Returners

RotBot said:
I'd like to point out that Burnout Paradise came out on the PS3 in January 2008, notifies you when your friends are online, and lets you invite and join them from in-game (right on the d-pad). Yet we're still getting games released that force you to use the XMB friends list to check who's in-game and send messages with an invite attachment.

Isn't that how 360 does it? Most companies probably want faster turnaround in dev for these things, so its standard.

Returners

Giard said:
What's the general opinion about the Party DLC? It looks fun.

1) You play Burnout in party setting (note, only one controller passing gameplay, no splitscreen).
2) You like trophies/achievements.
3) You want to give back Criterion for all the stuff they put in.

You should consider the pack if you agree with any of the above.

RotBot

crispyben said:
These cars were pre-order or launch-related promos, so from this point of view they have no meaning 6 months or a year later...
While all the other cars are just advertising paintjobs of the existing unlockable cars, the Carson "Steel Wheels" GT is a unique boost type and stats modification.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Thanks for the suggestions, will try some tonight. Probably should also get a less fast car since I crash much easier with the speed cars.

NeoUltima said:
I got like 1.4 mil from a single 'trick'. I was somewhere near the observatory and somehow managed to fly over the railing. I was in the air, rolling around, going down the mountain for like idk 5-10 seconds and amazingly landed on my wheels all the way down on a road near the city. It was the craziest shit I ever seen in the game. It's too hard to describe, I wish I had a video.
Yeah, I got something similiar when falling through the map. It kept counting the airtime and I got some major multipliers.

Question about online. I assume that this is one of those games where you NEED a headset. Unemployment makes it fairly unlikely I'll have one anytime soon. Is it still possible to play, or are the voiceless pariahs? :)

Returners said:
1) You play Burnout in party setting (note, only one controller passing gameplay, no splitscreen).
2) You like trophies/achievements.
3) You want to give back Criterion for all the stuff they put in.

You should consider the pack if you agree with any of the above.
Suggestion: Watch the GiantBomb's video for it. Yes, they sort of harp on the absurd idea of passing the pad as a replacement for offline multiplayer, but some of the events in it are things that you can't do even in the online timed challenges.

Here: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-burnout-party-pack/17-211/

Top Bottom