• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

shpankey

not an idiot
Oni Jazar said:
Amen! Now my biggest problem is that I'm really starting to hate Guns & Roses. Damn song is driving my crazy.
It drove me insane as well. I went into the options and turned that (and quite a few other annoying songs) off permanently.

Ploid 3.0

TheGreatDave said:
Lack of ability had nothing to do with it. Not having a retry option in the game was fucking retarded.

I really hated having to go all the way back to try the race again. It was very tedious and boring. Going backwards taught me nothing about the map that would help me in the race. It was like base jumping off of a mountain to land on a small target. Get it wrong, hike back up. I just didn't bother with the stunts (elite or whatever). Now I may consider trying.

And yes, that song at the start is very annoying. Also the long setup to start the game is annoying. They should allow you to enable quick start that automatically boots the game to the car you had last. Why choose bike or car in the startup menu when you still want to use what you had last. And I mean a fast boot like resistance 1.

Returners

TheGreatDave said:
Lack of ability had nothing to do with it. Not having a retry option in the game was fucking retarded.

Ploid 3.0 said:
I really hated having to go all the way back to try the race again. It was very tedious and boring. Going backwards taught me nothing about the map that would help me in the race. It was like base jumping off of a mountain to land on a small target. Get it wrong, hike back up. I just didn't bother with the stunts (elite or whatever). Now I may consider trying.

And yes, that song at the start is very annoying. Also the long setup to start the game is annoying. They should allow you to enable quick start that automatically boots the game to the car you had last. Why choose bike or car in the startup menu when you still want to use what you had last. And I mean a fast boot like resistance 1.

Oh god not this again. You guys got your wish, just stop and enjoy this game.

Seriously, from one thing to another, retry to crash cam to soundtrack?... GAF never seems to be content.

And... this game is not that hard. Unlike MC:LA, but I'm not going to bitch bout that here.

Returners

TheGreatDave said:
I'm not complaining about it. But nobody should defend it's omission initially!

Wrong.

Criterion started out with an idea in mind. That idea worked for some but pissed off most.
There are pros and cons with not having retry, maybe to you there are no pros... and I don't want to go on a huge rant.

I guess eventually Criterion caved, not because it was a "bug" or "huge oversight". It just brings more people to this game... Plain and simple.

Threi said:
people actually do ranked races?
Yup. It's quite sad though, I get dinged for negative feedback when I destroy races because I know the "key" shortcuts. One race was from the Baseball stadium to the Ranch (Spaghetti Western is the name of the race, I believe). And half the people decided it was a good idea to head north and drive on 1st/2nd street to get there. Go figure.

Oh, I noticed your call for 360 players. I'll add myself sometime soon. Should be good.

Returners said:
Wrong.

Criterion started out with an idea in mind. That idea worked for some but pissed off most.
There are pros and cons with not having retry, maybe to you there are no pros... and I don't want to go on a huge rant.

I guess eventually Criterion caved, not because it was a "bug" or "huge oversight". It just brings more people to this game... Plain and simple.

There are absolutely no cons to giving people an option to retry. It's an option you never need to come across if you don't want to. Even if you spent 100 paragraphs saying why I'm wrong I'd never believe you, so we may as well stop now. <3

Darkpen

Banned
just patched it today, and holy crap, talk about an overhaul D:!

Is there a list of things I can read on what they patched, exactly?

TheGreatDave said:
There are absolutely no cons to giving people an option to retry. It's an option you never need to come across if you don't want to. Even if you spent 100 paragraphs saying why I'm wrong I'd never believe you, so we may as well stop now. <3

Exactly, to the people who never want the to retry and love the fact that they have to drive back to the start or to the uber gamers here that are so hardcore they finish every single race in first place every time they try it... having a retry option doesn't affect them at all... in any way shape or form.

But to the vast majority of people, having a retry option only enhances the game for them. So it's a win/win to have it in the game.

Bug or bad game design, I'm just glad they have seen the error in not including it and have fixed it so EVERYONE can enjoy the game.

Ploid 3.0

I always wondered why they put in the gimp retry in the online races. They should have had everyone return to the spot again on their own. Then they would learn the short cuts and gain some skill each time they finished a race. (S)

I just pulled out my old Logitech Driving Force Pro for the PS2. And as I've feared it didn't work with Burnout Paradise. Someone please tell me I'm doing something wrong and that it actually does work because that would fucking suck if it wasn't supported. The Burnout series is the ONLY racing games that I like and I practically bought the wheel just for BO3 way back in 2005.

Ploid 3.0

Rice-Eater said:
I just pulled out my old Logitech Driving Force Pro for the PS2. And as I've feared it didn't work with Burnout Paradise. Someone please tell me I'm doing something wrong and that it actually does work because that would fucking suck if it wasn't supported. The Burnout series is the ONLY racing games that I like and I practically bought the wheel just for BO3 way back in 2005.

I tried a flight stick with it (usb) and it didn't work either. The flight stick worked on motorstorm pr so I guess it's just that Burnout p don't allow anything other than sixaxis. You mean the ps3 version right?

Yes I'm talking about the PS3 version. And I'll reiterate, that would fucking suck if it wasn't supported. Many PS3 games still support the old PS2 wheels, so I don't get why Paradise wouldn't since from the looks of it, Criterion seems to go out of there way to show support for the game and the community.

DuckRacer

TheGreatDave said:
Yeah, I stopped playing Burnout a while back because of one single burning route; trying to win it, figuring out I'd lose by ten seconds, and then driving all the way back to the starting line to attempt it again wasn't fun at all. The whole "well, why don't you do another event" thing didn't hold when it was the last burning route I had to beat.

Of course, retry comes, and I beat it after a few tries. What's even better is that even the retry has no loading, so it's completely painless.

retry option is awesome. I am still frustrated with the pausing to look at the map and see which route is best. its just a constant back and forth trying to figure out what way is best.

Mrbob

The only thing I don't like about the PS3 controller are the triggers on it. I notice websites sell an item called Real Triggers, which make them triggers which are similar to what is offered on 360. Anyone using these on PS3 with burnout? Do they feel ok and make depressing the trigger an easier experience?

kamorra said:
Are you guys still bitching about the retry option?

Nope. But for some odd reason, the only guys bitching are the ones who think the game didn't need a retry option to begin with. I've seen nothing but positive responses from people glad that they fixed the problem.

Ploid 3.0

TheGreatDave said:
Slow motion crashes are the new lack of retry.

The quicker this game get's the more fun there is to be had. The unskippable slow motion, and the long intro to start the game are the last stumbling blocks to a very quick pop in and play experience. I have the disk version, but if I had the psn version, and if it was quick all around, it would get played a heck of a lot more. It is a arcade game after all, not a sim racer. Also speeding the crashes up is possible, as shown by the bikes. Just like online races showed people that it was possible for the devs to make a restart option for the main game.

OldJadedGamer said:
Exactly, to the people who never want the to retry and love the fact that they have to drive back to the start or to the uber gamers here that are so hardcore they finish every single race in first place every time they try it... having a retry option doesn't affect them at all... in any way shape or form.

But to the vast majority of people, having a retry option only enhances the game for them. So it's a win/win to have it in the game.

Bug or bad game design, I'm just glad they have seen the error in not including it and have fixed it so EVERYONE can enjoy the game.
there you go. a bug is something that is in the game by accident; game design is in there on purpose.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
OldJadedGamer said:
Nope? So there is no bitching
OldJadedGamer said:
But for some odd reason, the only guys bitching are the ones who think the game didn't need a retry option to begin with. I've seen nothing but positive responses from people glad that they fixed the problem.
but there is bitching. I see.

KGKK

Banned
Finally bought this game from PSN after I read the restarting event patch on this thread title. Bought the ultimate bundle, wonder what is included.
Really gotta look for a list for all there is new in BP.
Btw, I forgot how to start up Showtime, I pressed all the buttons and it would not go into it.

Thank you Critierion, now I can play this game again. When I stopped playing this game months ago I though "If only I could restart these fucking races and this would be the best racer I ever played"

I seriously can't think of any dev that has listened to the fans and supported a game like this

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The new complaint should be a faster bootup. Skip the logos. Skip the warning message about autosaving. Skip the news page. The menu to select Paradise City, Party or store. Skip the menu for cars or bikes. Too many boot up menus!!!!

Chris R

Wario64 said:
The new complaint should be a faster bootup. Skip the logos. Skip the warning message about autosaving. Skip the news page. The menu to select Paradise City, Party or store. Skip the menu for cars or bikes. Too many boot up menus!!!!
This!!!

But once you are in game it is not too bad. Only thing is I wish I could access that burnout map from in game, and not have to load up a save file to check what I need to get.

crispyben

OldJadedGamer said:
Wrong. Players abusing the retry function will not get to know the city as well and as fast as they would have without it (as first intended), and will then be a drag in online freeburns, which affects those who share their games.

Darkpen said:
The visuals in the game look so much more clear now. I wish there was a comparison video somewhere.
Did you search for one?

KGKK said:
Btw, I forgot how to start up Showtime, I pressed all the buttons and it would not go into it.
You need to go online or do a few events before Showtime is unlocked. Then it's R1+L1.

Stoney Mason said:
So how does the online mode work? Also some one explain to me how to do the stunts.
See this post and this post for online. For the stunts, well, listen to DJ Atomika... or be more precise :D If you mean stunt runs, there you go.

crispyben

Sean

Banned
Interesting, Burnout Paradise demo shot up to #6 in popularity on XBL Marketplace. Seems like a lot of people are checking it out now that the retry patch came out.

Sean said:
Interesting, Burnout Paradise demo shot up to #6 in popularity on XBL Marketplace. Seems like a lot of people are checking it out now that the retry patch came out.
Sadly, it's probably a bad thing, because now that it's been a year, the demo is even less reflective of what the game is.

AlphaTwo00 said:
Sadly, it's probably a bad thing, because now that it's been a year, the demo is even less reflective of what the game is.

Maybe, but there have to be plenty of new PS3 and 360 users that haven't been able to check the game around launch or the previous updates, so it's all good.

Top Bottom