• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

RotBot

sparky2112 said:
Question about online. I assume that this is one of those games where you NEED a headset. Unemployment makes it fairly unlikely I'll have one anytime soon. Is it still possible to play, or are the voiceless pariahs? :)
I don't know about 360, but on PS3 there are a ton of people without headsets. I make it a habit to friend everyone who has a headset and isn't super-annoying. If you don't have a headset, you should play offline enough to get a handle on the stunts. If someone without a headset is consistently the last person to finish an online freeburn challenge, they're likely to get kicked.

Teetris said:
No mic is just fine.

Cool. Thanks.

One additional question that's probably already answered in this thread, but the thread is too long: how is online balanced car-wise? Obviously, a lot of folks have already unlocked all the cars, etc. Me, I'm still working on my A lic. Do I have to drive gimpy cars against everyone else?

I just bought the retail version yesterday. It took a little over a friggin' hour to download all the updates!

Spent about an hour and a half just driving around. Didn't do a single even and I already earned 13 trophies for it. Pretty fun so far.

RotBot

sparky2112 said:
Cool. Thanks.

One additional question that's probably already answered in this thread, but the thread is too long: how is online balanced car-wise? Obviously, a lot of folks have already unlocked all the cars, etc. Me, I'm still working on my A lic. Do I have to drive gimpy cars against everyone else?
Most people online do the freeburn challenges, and almost all of them can be completed with the car you start the game with. For choose-your-own-car races though, you're gimped.

Well after a very long hiatus from video games (been extremely busy with work personal life) I'm gonna go out tomorrow and buy Burnout Paradise for the 360 (can't beat $20 price tag).

Anyway so I don't have to search through all these pages can someone give me a quick rundown of all the updates that have happened, the DLC and which ones are worth getting? Thanks!

Mar

Oni Jazar said:
As cool getting online is in Paradise, I think Test Drive Unlimited did it better IMO. Right when you started you were online and there were human drivers all around you. Pull up to one and you can race to any point or just follow them around the HUGE map. Friends will have priority and show up in your gamespace. Really the most revolutionary non MMORPG system that I've seen in a game.

Did you just say... TDU's online was good? And that the friends component was also good? Wow man... You must be the only person in the entire world that thinks that. TDU's online was absolutely useless.

Mar_ said:
Did you just say... TDU's online was good? And that the friends component was also good? Wow man... You must be the only person in the entire world that thinks that. TDU's online was absolutely useless.
TDU had a nicer system for meeting random people, and populating an online world. But to start a race? Or to do stuff? I stick to my Burnout.

Barso

Banned
I just bought this for PS3 and wondering why there is no invert Y axis option in the option screen.
It is in the 360 version but not PS3, sorry but I hate push up to look down.
Any reason why?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
X360 users...I noticed that my X360 still kept the bikes and Cagney patch on my HDD, even though they're not necessary after the 1.6 patch. So if you want to save about 500-600 MB, make sure to delete those two patches.

The End

I got the update last night, and I must be missing something, because I don't see an option to restart either during the pause screen or when i fail an event.

crispyben

The End said:
I got the update last night, and I must be missing something, because I don't see an option to restart either during the pause screen or when i fail an event.
Heads up! You're doing it wrong. Everything you need while in-game can be obtained via the EasyDrive Menu, pushing right on the D-pad. That includes the restart option. Why look for it elsewhere?

Oni Jazar

Mar_ said:

Yep. The friend system didn't work great at first but that was patched. Having the world online right from the bat made it a really unique system IMO.

hgplayer1

Teetris said:

Ive watched this vid before but I just realized that the jump that ends his run is the same jump that I always have trouble with when I make that run around the shipyards.

I either crash where he did or I land in the water.

Also, I need help getting 2player challenges done. Mainly the timed ones but a few freeburn ones too. Seems like everytime I get online I end up with more than two people. Gamertag is hgplayer1

crispyben

hgplayer1 said:
Also, I need help getting 2player challenges done. Mainly the timed ones but a few freeburn ones too. Seems like everytime I get online I end up with more than two people. Gamertag is hgplayer1
Just have the room access set to "Invitation only" once you're two...

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
crispyben said:
These cars were pre-order or launch-related promos, so from this point of view they have no meaning 6 months or a year later...
What about the Carson Steel Wheels GT? That's not a pre-order or launch-related thing. It's also the only one I don't have.

They better add it back in, I'm not risking my game save over this.

Cravis

twinturbo2 said:
What about the Carson Steel Wheels GT? That's not a pre-order or launch-related thing. It's also the only one I don't have.

They better add it back in, I'm not risking my game save over this.
Delete the new update from your HDD. Then you can get the pre-order cars you missed. Once you download and install the update again everything carries over nicely. No worries about risking your game save. It worked fine for me and the game saves appear to be interchangeable with the original and the updated Burnout.

Sean

Banned
Wario64 said:
X360 users...I noticed that my X360 still kept the bikes and Cagney patch on my HDD, even though they're not necessary after the 1.6 patch. So if you want to save about 500-600 MB, make sure to delete those two patches.

Thanks for the heads up, they should've said that in the marketplace download description or something at least. I've got plenty of extra storage but no reason to keep around useless crap.

Barso

Banned
I just compared both versions and to be honest I found the 360 version to look sharper with more vibrant colours with a better ground/road texture. Also the reflections on the car looked better.
I also found the online a better experience due to better voice quality and more headsets.
I also hate the way the PS3 version loads the website. I hate the way sony lets that happen.
The 360 version also seemed to have less slowdown when exiting a garage.
Took my PS3 version back and will keep 360 version.

PuMa

Barso said:
I just compared both versions and to be honest I found the 360 version to look sharper with more vibrant colours with a better ground/road texture. Also the reflections on the car looked better.
I also found the online a better experience due to better voice quality and more headsets.
I also hate the way the PS3 version loads the website. I hate the way sony lets that happen.

Congrats. Chocolate chip or oatmeal raisin?

glaurung

Barso said:

I like it how you are wrong.

I have never, ever met any kind of slowdown on the PS3 version. However, from friends that play the 360 version, I have received information about such instances.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Barso said:
This bugs the shit out of me on the PC as well. Especially with the added delay while my computer changes resolution.

Any way to disable it?

shpankey

not an idiot
I thought the Xbox version looked a bit sharper with more vibrant colors too (this was before the patch) but it was only slight. My friend and I also noticed the cars sounded a tiny bit better on Xbox vs the PS3... a little bit meaner, as it were.

These were extremely small differences though, most people wouldn't even notice.

I also prefered the Xbox 360 controller, which is godly for this type of game.

But I bought it off PSN despite all that b/c having the ability to play it off the Hard Drive trumps everything. :D

Oni Jazar

shpankey said:
But I bought it off PSN despite all that b/c having the ability to play it off the Hard Drive trumps everything. :D

Amen! Now my biggest problem is that I'm really starting to hate Guns & Roses. Damn song is driving my crazy.

Erebus

bune duggy said:
So who in Europe (preferably Britain) would like to buy me a copy of the Ultimate box? I'll pay for it obviously, I just want a copy to go with my collection.

Can't you just buy one from an online shop?

Found this at Circuit City and got it brand new on 360 for $15! Firing it up for the first time tonight, can't wait!

edit: just to confirm, you can't turn off takedown camera replays in this one, right? I never liked it since it takes focus off of the race for a second... but can deal with it if need be.

I've been one trophy away from platinum for months. That stupid bronze mugshot trophy is all I need but I don't have a usb camera and I don't plan on getting one. Is there any other way to get it? Trophies and OCD do not mix!

criesofthepast said:
I've been one trophy away from platinum for months. That stupid bronze mugshot trophy is all I need but I don't have a usb camera and I don't plan on getting one. Is there any other way to get it? Trophies and OCD do not mix!
All you can do I guess is find someone who has a usb camera, I think the 360 one works on ps3 too but I might be wrong.

Kryten

They've patched all of the better known exploits for the 20X Boost Chain achievement so I had to do it the hard way - I ended up driving the Tempesta GT because it goes fast enough that you don't need to worry about drifting to keep the chain going and you can use the brakes a little. I went into the oncoming lane, clockwise around I-88 - the big things to watch out for are the toll bridge near Angus Wharf and then turn near the stadium.

The only remaining billboards I need are in Downtown but some of them are nightmares to get - gah, this game! :)

My copy came today... crappy PlatinumHits packaging. Can't wait to play and actually complete races this time with the retry option. I'm sooooooooo happy they fixed this bug.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Diablohead said:
All you can do I guess is find someone who has a usb camera, I think the 360 one works on ps3 too but I might be wrong.

It does work. That's how I got my trophy.

paparazzo

Diablohead said:
So a digital camera with a USB connector would work? Or is this restricted to the PS Eye, webcam, etc.?

OldJadedGamer said:
My copy came today... crappy PlatinumHits packaging. Can't wait to play and actually complete races this time with the retry option. I'm sooooooooo happy they fixed this bug.

I didn't even know this game had PlatinumHits packaging, I've never seen it. Thankfully I picked up a non PH version in store yesterday.

OldJadedGamer said:
Odd that your lack of ability is considered a "bug".

bune duggy said:
Odd that your lack of ability is considered a "bug".

Yes, because if I don't get first place in every single race I try on the first playthrough... that's a lack of ability. Gotcha. I only wish I had amazing game skill like you.

Top Bottom