• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Wow, im surprised at all the turn around in this thread. Criterion offers so much for free, and even give warning of paid dlc, and everyone starts attacking them with a fervor.

drmcclin said:
You can get the platinum without any of the add-ons, FYI.
Yeah, I know, I just got turned off.

BTW I bought the party pack which is pretty sucky IMO. It could have been so good if they had put some more effort into it, I expected better from Criterion.

gamerecks said:
Wow, im surprised at all the turn around in this thread. Criterion offers so much for free, and even give warning of paid dlc, and everyone starts attacking them with a fervor.
I'm not. People are cheap. I called it last page.

Basically, you can do no right, unless your game isn't run by a real company, and throws DLC and all content for free.

I'm not sure I understand the logic behind the game being double the price on PC when PC games are usually cheaper and the PC version getting at least a month delay on DLC. I mean it's still worth the asking price, but I guess it explains why no one posts about the PC version in this thread though.

Ploid 3.0

I was never interested in these cars. They don't seem over powered so that's fine. I'm not sure if I'd buy the new island. I'm not into buying dlc.

CrookedRain said:
I'm not sure I understand the logic behind the game being double the price on PC when PC games are usually cheaper and the PC version getting at least a month delay on DLC. I mean it's still worth the asking price, but I guess it explains why no one posts about the PC version in this thread though.

PS3's bioshock cost way more than xbox bioshock. Xbox's bioshock is around $20-30 while the PS3's is $60.

Kryten

Have stats been made available for these cars? I've completed all of the "fun" stuff in the game, so if the cars aren't really useful for completing the remaining events I need for my Elite, they're kinda not worth it. I guess they might be ok for Freeburn challenges?

Ploid 3.0

4ieb0m.jpg

Mrbob

So much for Criterion being the next Valve.

But instead of getting mad, vote with your wallet. I'm going to get burnout paradise soon, but I won't pay for these cars on DLC. Of course this is another case of how DLC goes wrong on consoles. Not surprised.

Mrbob said:
So much for Criterion being the next Valve.

But instead of getting mad, vote with your wallet. I'm going to get burnout paradise soon, but I won't pay for these cars on DLC. Of course this is another case of how DLC goes wrong on consoles. Not surprised.
Outside of RB's DLC, which even TheGreatDave calls wrong, who has had a good record for being right?

Wait what? Four dollars for ONE car? Seven dollars for FOUR cars? I don't care how cool it is, that’s absolutely ridiculous.

I was going to buy everything they released, but you can count me out for this one. I'll buy the island if it’s reasonable, but there is no way I'm buying the cars. I was expecting $.99.

Mrbob

AlphaTwo00 said:
Outside of RB's DLC, which even TheGreatDave calls wrong, who has had a good record for being right?

On consoles...I have no idea.

I yearn for the days of real expansion packs once more.

Shivering Isles and possibly GTA4 lost and the damned...otherwise I have nothing. Well Valve and their L4D support will be good, but this is something they are carrying over from their PC tradition.

I don't demand things for free. PC gaming still does it right...bring out a regular game and then an expansion about a year later, and perhaps dole out some small extra content between these time frames.

But I don't want to whine about DLC in this thread. I'm used to it by now on consoles and will wait it out hoping things will change for the better.

Has there been any word if I can actually fly around with the DeLorean or am I just going to be hovering above streets? :\ lol

Cuz with those stats... who cares about hovering, I'll go with KITT.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Eh...whatever. I will buy this DLC. Criterion has supported this game like no other. 8 bucks as a "thanks" for 4 cars isn't going to kill me. Not shocked at the hate they are getting for having the nerve to charge money for DLC though. Once people are used to getting things for free, they have a fit when they have to pay.

8 bucks for 4 cars works out to $2 a car. Not really that crazy, especially considering all that they have given us for free.

Revolutionary said:
Has there been any word if I can actually fly around with the DeLorean or am I just going to be hovering above streets? :\ lol

Cuz with those stats... who cares about hovering, I'll go with KITT.

I think that you probably hover when you hit turbo.

AlphaTwo00 said:

Rock Band DLC isn't wrong. If anything, it's the most justifiable, because you can see how many different parties are entitled to a piece of the cash.

And in answer to your question...probably Bungie.

AnEternalEnigma said:
$4 for a fucking car? With stats at level 0 in every category? Blow me, Criterion.

It's the 2009 Horse Armor.
This has to be a joke post right? There is a video, where the car BOOST. So it's not 0.

Ploid 3.0

AnEternalEnigma said:
$4 for a fucking car? With stats at level 0 in every category? Blow me, Criterion.

It's the 2009 Horse Armor.

2s95260.jpg

Peronthious said:
...what the hell. Who's idea was it to have the stats at zero for the car everyone is drooling for? I assume it'll be upgradable or something, at least.

Yea I think the stats are unknown now.

Shearie

I'm thinking now that the island wll be $20 and if anything else, might even be over that. On the flip side, it's most likely the only DLC for this game that will actually be worth the money, although it's funny to think that before pricing of anything was ever announced, I was thinking the price for The Island was going to be $10. Who knows about Cops & Robbers but given that it's most likely also going to be a game mode you can play in online games, Criterion are going to be splitting the online community twice with substantial DLC with The Island and Cops & Robbers.

Shearie said:
I'm thinking now that the island wll be $20 and if anything else, might even be over that. On the flip side, it's most likely the only DLC for this game that will actually be worth the money, although it's funny to think that before pricing of anything was ever announced, I was thinking the price for The Island was going to be $10. Who knows about Cops & Robbers but given that it's most likely also going to be a game mode you can play in online games, Criterion are going to be splitting the online community twice with substantial DLC with The Island and Cops & Robbers.
The island was set to be free at one point last year. If they charge $20 for it, I'm out.

epmode

TheGreatDave said:
And in answer to your question...probably Bungie.
That died when Bungie decided to stop releasing their map packs for free (eventually). Oh and it REALLY died when they decided to attach a new Halo 3 map pack to a game from an entirely different genre. Christ.

I don't think there is anything wrong with not buying DLC, and I don't intend to buy these 4 cars. It doesn't mean I hate the game now. If you've got the game already, you're set. The only people crying about having to pay are the OCD completionist whores. Guys, it's ok NOT to have 100% on every game with regard to trophies. This is not a required purchase.

With Burnout Paradise, I only give them a pass because of the free content we've been getting over the last year. Bikes, online only cars, visual "improvements," added features with online games, and the mighty restart feature for the weaksauce.

dskillzhtown said:
Criterion has supported this game like no other. 8 bucks as a "thanks" for 4 cars isn't going to kill me.

No offense, but I really dislike people who think like you. It's not like a ray of sunshine is going to hit their hearts as they have an epiphany and yell, "WE ARE GENIUNELY TOUCHED BY dskillzhtown'S THANK YOU OF $8!"

That makes no logical sense whatsoever. Criterion is owned by EA. They don't need your money as a "thanks". All you're doing is reinforcing to them that this idea of paying $4 for an in-game car is a good one and setting them up to do more of this in the future.

Everdred

Like the others, I hope this doesn't mean the island will be more than $10 but I have a feeling it will be. I'm only buying that and depending on impressions I MIGHT be willing to pay $15 but thats still pushing it.

How many cars are in the game now? 70+ right? According to this scale thats $140 worth of cars and that doesn't even include gameplay! Add on the Paradise City world, thats $40 or so dollars. Damn, this game should have retailed for $180! Well I guess I got a pretty good deal since I've spent $90 on it (360 release, then PSN later).

AnEternalEnigma said:
No offense, but I really dislike people who think like you. It's not like a ray of sunshine is going to hit their hearts as they have an epiphany and yell, "WE ARE GENIUNELY TOUCHED BY dskillzhtown'S THANK YOU OF $8!"

That makes no logical sense whatsoever. Criterion is owned by EA. They don't need your money as a "thanks". All you're doing is reinforcing to them that this idea of paying $4 for an in-game car is a good one and setting them up to do more of this in the future.
People pay for whatever they think it's worth to them, whatever rationalization is irreverent.

Plenty of other people buy other DLC that I may not agree with, I'm not going to run around criticizing what they buy.

Returners

AlphaTwo00 said:
People pay for whatever they think it's worth to them, whatever rationalization is irreverent.

Plenty of other people buy other DLC that I may not agree with, I'm not going to run around criticizing what they buy.

crispyben

Wow, the winds of change have blown while I was sleeping... I don't know where to start. There have been all kind of good points made in this thread, from both sides of the debate. If you give a lot of things free, then start asking for money, you create the two groups at play here: the grateful (ready to pay a bit) and the angry (refusing to pay ever). I am in the first camp, but respect the other. However, expecting the cars to be 0.99 each was wishful thinking to begin with! I guess it all depends on the way you look at it, and the way I look at it, 2.00 per car is OK, moreso than the 10.00 Party pack. And nobody's forcing you to buy them! If you want them, 8.00 is reasonable, if you don't, why waste your time complaining? :p

By the way, were do those Legendary Cars stats come from? I know they were taken from the Burnout Wikia, but where did they get the info? It seems baseless, and the Jansen P12 88 Special has Stunt Boost, so it has boost stats like the other Legendary Cars I think.

Regarding Big Surf Island, I think its pricing will create another shitstorm, but until then, take a look at it in its current form...

There's also a new Flat Spin world record if you're into that sort of thing: 3,662 degrees! (WR before the update was more than 1,000 degrees below that, then there was this)

crispyben

FabCam said:
How much is that in £'s? Has that been announced yet?
How many pages back have you read? Could the answer be zero?

EDIT: £6.29 / € 7.99 in Europe and $7.99 in the US for all 4 cars.

GT Nighthawk - £1.59 / € 1.99 / $1.99
Manhattan Spirit - £1.59 / € 1.99 / 1.99
Cavalry Bootlegger - £1.59 / € 1.99 / $1.99
P12 88 Special - £3.19 / € 3.99 / $3.99

Ramenman said:
"Agression boost activated" ? What does that mean ? You can switch boost types with some cars ?
Yep, it seems the Boost Specials (Carson Extreme Hotrod and Montgomery Hawker Mech) will allow this trick :D

FabCam

Holy shit. £3.19 for one car is insane! I'll buy the Nighthawk and General Lee but the Delorian is too much for me.

EDIT: I actually would have preferred if they charged for the bikes pack instead of this pack. I don't mind paying that sort of money for content that extends the game life so I can see why the party pack is priced as it is. But for the price of 2 cars you could buy a full PSN game which is kind of off :/

web01

What a goddamn ripoff.
First the party pack and now this screw you EA and Criterion!

Also those sucking up with the "but look at the stuff they gave us for free"
guess what its not even that good. Cant even do races with bikes which is pathetic.
Also its likely the free stuff was just held back because they rushed to get the game out at release.

Not to mention the new cars are basically slight variations of existing cars with some fancy gimick and better stats added!

Haeleos

I'll give you 400 points for the entire pack, Criterion. There's still time to make this right!

Although, I wonder how many of you whining about the price of the DLC now will be posting about how awesome it is on Thursday.

Mar

web01 said:
What a goddamn ripoff.

guess what its not even that good. Cant even do races with bikes which is pathetic.
Also its likely the free stuff was just held back because they rushed to get the game out at release.

Not to mention the new cars are basically slight variations of existing cars with some fancy gimick and better stats added!

I bet those Criterion fuckers broke into your house, flushed your head down a toilet and pissed on your rug too.

It's a goddamn outrage!

cool cars.. but kinda feels like paying for extra trophies... :(

i'll buy the island though, and maybe a car.. criterion gave me plenty, i'll give them some of my money.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
web01 said:
What a goddamn ripoff.

Thread was going downhill fast but now it's getting really ridiculous.

Top Bottom