• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Mar

cjelly said:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3062/3030317022_ca0cd09cbf_b.jpg

That doesn't help. Do you actually drive these things around? While driving with full sized cars or what?

Mar

NullPointer said:
That's some sound advice there. Will do.

You also don't need to go full speed. Let go of the accelerator and just hold the boost down. You'll go a lot slower but still chain your burnouts.

$4 for a single car? Just as soon as my Fortune 500 company receives its bailout money, I'm on it.

:lol

Still love the game, though. I hope the island update is a little more.... realistically priced.

jett

D-Member
Nitemare1 said:
After all the free support for Burnout Paradise since it's release, I'll gladly give them the 8$ for 4 cars as a thankyou!

245bu3p.jpg

Send them a fucking thank you note, don't support ripoff-priced DLC.

Barso

Banned
I bought this off PSN 6 hours ago and it's on 40% downloaded.
I bought GTA lost and damned this morning and it was downloaded in 30 minutes.
GOD I fucking hate PSN download speeds. Killzone 2 demo took me 6 hours last week.
I double dipped because of the stronger PS3 community.
Thats the problem with so many online games for 360, people move on to quickly and only halo and gears have the strongest following.

Mar_ said:
Clearly, we should not give money to those who have worked tirelessly to provide us with hundreds of hours of entertainment.
You paid $60 for their game. Buying their obviously unreasonably priced DLC is not a "thank you" it’s just being dumb.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Mar_ said:
Clearly, we should not give money to those who have worked tirelessly to provide us with hundreds of hours of entertainment.

If you want to give them money, buy some stock of EA or something, rather than send them the message that overpriced DLC is what the community wants.

Ploid 3.0

Blu_LED said:
You paid $60 for their game. Buying their obviously unreasonably priced DLC is not a "thank you" it’s just being dumb.

Like someone said before. Play the game as a thank you. They track everything people do to make it more attractive for advertisers to pay for ad space in the game. Play the game as you would watch tv shows to give them ratings. Do you buy Arrested Development mugs to support the show?

Mar_ said:

Why don't you go down to Criterion and buy them all a lapdance? Rather than telling them that this kind of DLC is the way to go.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Since 8$ are such an outrage do you guys actually send emails to Criterion/EA about this ridiculous price tag? Or is it enough to bitch on GAF and tell everyone who want's to buy it how wrong he is?

Ploid 3.0

kamorra said:
Since 8$ are such an outrage do you guys actually send emails to Criterion/EA about this ridiculous price tag? Or is it enough to bitch on GAF and tell everyone who want's to buy it how wrong he is?

More like don't buy and ignore. If the cars were already on the disk, and dlc keys were available for launch that would suck. There are enough cars in the game to me. I'm not even sure if I'd want the island. I have enough burnout paradise as it is. I'd rather buy new games (psn) or just a whole new disk game.

kamorra said:

If people think it's worth the money, that's fine. Saying "Well, they gave us other things for free so I'll pay for this to support them" is simply an incorrect stance to have.

Ploid 3.0 said:
More like don't buy and ignore. If the cars were already on the disk, and dlc keys were available for launch that would suck. There are enough cars in the game to me. I'm not even sure if I'd want the island. I have enough burnout paradise as it is. I'd rather buy new games (psn) or just a whole new disk game.
Hint: They are in your game already (if not rolled in by the new version). They will be 108k files, just like Party Pack.

Pojo said:
I can understand needing to buy an expansion area of a game for new trophies (sometimes), but you need to buy new cars to get trophies? The whole concept sucks. I love Burnout and want to complete it 100%, but not if I have to buy addons to get token trophies that require no skill.
Talk to MS/Sony about this. With both Sony and MS, developers are allowed to increase trophy/achievement count for downloadable content. If you feel pressured to get them, then it says something about you as a player, doesn't it?

web01 said:
Yeah I did buy the party pack and it was a ripoff most of the people who brought it have said that. Doesnt even have half the options it should have. A very half assed effort at an add on.

Also the point about them being variations of existing cars is that they were very easy to make and remodel and that they should be a much cheaper price to refelect this. But maybe because your trying to be some EA defender you cant see that? I never said I didnt want them but they should be alot cheaper you are just being a smart ass asking questions like that.

To the rest of the people who quoted me that I cant be bothered addressing seriously grow up. Quote people all you want if it makes you feel like some type of internet genius by posting what you believe are witty responses. But it wont change the fact that the DLC is a ripoff no mater what way you look at it.

ie commments like this:
But that's not how I look at it at all so stop presuming.
Doodis said:
I posted this a while back, but nobody answered - what's the deal with planes in the game? They released news of them months ago but I haven't heard anything since.

And my two cents: Will not pay for overpriced legendary cars. Will pay for new island area.
planes = something someone worked on and they messed around with and that's it. AFAIK they've never mentioned it since then either.

Nitemare1

I see what all you guys are saying and its a good point, but cummon. its 8 lousy bucks and the cars are awesome.

I will concede that it was stupid of me to say I'd just give them the 8$ as a thankyou.

Nitemare1 said:
I see what all you guys are saying and its a good point, but cummon. its 8 lousy bucks and the cars are awesome.

I will concede that it was stupid of me to say I'd just give them the 8$ as a thankyou.

Yes, but what is the worth of "8 lousy bucks"? No one can ever really designate the value of certain money on Xbox Live. 8 lousy bucks is enough to buy a fair majority of Xbox Live arcade games. Are you trying to say that four in-game cars is the same value of an Xbox Live arcade game?

Mar

TheGreatDave said:
Why don't you go down to Criterion and buy them all a lapdance? Rather than telling them that this kind of DLC is the way to go.

Or, instead of buying a coffee and a donut, for the same price I could hand that money to a bunch of guys who made 400 hours of my life a hell of a lot of fun.

So many people having a cry about this. When in the end it's the consumers decision whether to part with their money or not. As a consumer, I choose not to buy this particular DLC. But I can sure understand others who wish to do so.

Mar_ said:
Or, instead of buying a coffee and a donut, for the same price I could hand that money to a bunch of guys who made 400 hours of my life a hell of a lot of fun.

So many people having a cry about this. When in the end it's the consumers decision whether to part with their money or not. As a consumer, I choose not to buy this particular DLC. But I can sure understand others who wish to do so.

Then write them an $8 check. Don't reinforce their idea that overpriced DLC is a good one.

Kryten

So after buying MS Space Bux in NZD and converting to USD, the price comes out to USD$4.80 for all four cars - not bad, I'm softening on buying the DLC now :)

AkuMifune

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:
Then write them an $8 check. Don't reinforce their idea that overpriced DLC is a good one.
Yeah!

Because showing developers that if they put out awesome free DLC for a year a lot of people will feel compelled to support their other content is a bad thing.

FightyF

Banned
AkuMifune said:
Yeah!

Because showing developers that if they put out awesome free DLC for a year a lot of people will feel compelled to support their other content is a bad thing.

I'm beginning to think it is.

1. I bought the 360 version used for $9 from a rental store.
  2. Had lots of fun with it.
  3. Saw the Party pack and thought "I had lots of fun with this, and I'll buy this to support the devs as my used purchase didn't do much for them".
  4. Party Pack fucking sucks.
  5. Why did I buy this piece of shit Party Pack? What was I thinking?
  6. I just burnt 800 MS points. I could have bought Machellevi's Ascent and Cave In Adventure and STILL have 400 pts left over!
  7. I could have had hours of fun with those games! But nooo, I had to support the devs by buying something completely fucking useless and frankly the Party Pack would be something that I wouldn't even download for FREE if it were an option.
  8. I realize that I still have cars locked that were given away for free by promotion, stuff like the Circuit City Hot Rod (which is a fun car to drive, I've tried it once)
  9. Realize that Criterion doesn't know what the fuck they are doing with DLC, because I paid for shit, and there's still plenty I don't have, and I don't think I can purchase them

If the Party Pack unlocked all them other cars, I'd be fine. But yeah, it doesn't, so I'm jaded.

If I really wanted to be all "support the devs", I should be perfectly fine with giving the devs my money and getting absolutely nothing in return.

But guess what, that "Party Pack" isn't just useless, IT'S INSULTING. Everytime I start up the game I see that freaking menu that asks me if I want to jump into Paradise City or play the fucking Party Pack. It's a slap on the face. How can you slap, Criterion? How can you slap?

Heheh anyways I wonder sometime if people here can determine if I'm serious or not. Anyways, I am going to be a bit more picky in my "support" of these developers.

Extra cars are appealing because they can be fun to drive. That Circuit City Hot Rod was awesome for online races (the host set it as the default car, and we had a bunch of races).

I'll be honest here, if there was a Batman vehicle pack for PGR, that included the Adam West 60's Batmobile, Tim Burton Batmobile, Nolan's Batmobile Tumber, and Nolan's Batpod...I'd spend $15 on it. Now that Bizarre's been bought out, it's not gonna happen, but it's something Criterion and EA could do. Instead of doing a ripoff they should license it.

In the end it has a lot to do with how much you are a fan of stuff I guess. I mean, if Criterion had worked with SEGA, and somehow made Sonic DLC where you could run as Sonic throughout Paradise City, I'd give them $30 and a jar full of sperm.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I have the funds and I'm not poor. I will be buying all the cars. A little overpriced but I have spare funds to get this, Noby, and LBP costumes this week. That's the way it is

LiquidMetal14 said:
I have the funds and I'm not poor. I will be buying all the cars. A little overpriced but I have spare funds to get this, Noby, and LBP costumes this week. That's the way it is

I have the funds and I'm not poor. I will not be buying any of the cars. It's a little overpriced and since I am responsible with my money, I don't send a bad message to developers and pay for things I feel are overcharged. That's the way it is.

RobbieNick

Go back to cheap ass Gaffers. $4 to play the Back To the Future Delorean in Burnout is okay with me.

The fact is Critereon has been supporting this title for a full year for free with cool add ons like the motorcycle mode and are only now starting to charge for DLC. So now, you start to complain about being charged for DLC that you don't ever have to buy.

GAF ain't happy unless they're bitching about some small thing.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
am i the only wh still have serious problems with using the brakes in this game?

i spin out of control 90% of the time, speeding or not and no matter what car i use still cant get a good drift, turns are close to impossible, i have to slow down almost completly like...im....driving a real car. WTF.

i cant be cuz i heard the latest Patch also fixed some "driving physics" thing. I wanna enjoy the game to the fullest and appreciate what Criterion has done, but the more i upgrade my license the thougher things get and NEED my brakes.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
AnEternalEnigma said:
I have the funds and I'm not poor. I will not be buying any of the cars. It's a little overpriced and since I am responsible with my money, I don't send a bad message to developers and pay for things I feel are overcharged. That's the way it is.
To each his own. You pay for what you want and I pay for I want, I'm sure you can live with that.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
am i the only wh still have serious problems with using the brakes in this game?

i spin out of control 90% of the time, speeding or not and no matter what car i use still cant get a good drift, turns are close to impossible, i have to slow down almost completly like...im....driving a real car. WTF.

i cant be cuz i heard the latest Patch also fixed some "driving physics" thing. I wanna enjoy the game to the fullest and appreciate what Criterion has done, but the more i upgrade my license the thougher things get and NEED my brakes.
X (E-Brake), or real brakes?

If you are doing e-breaks, you're doing it wrong. For regular brake, to a quick tap, then let go right away. If you are holding the brakes down, you're doing it wrong.

I've noticed that the SI-7, the first Speed car you get, has the brakes heavily modified so that it stops hard. Maybe give that car a go.

AnEternalEnigma said:
You keep on sending your message while I drive my hovering car over you then.

FightyF said:
One hell of a rant....

Extra cars are appealing because they can be fun to drive. That Circuit City Hot Rod was awesome for online races (the host set it as the default car, and we had a bunch of races).

I'll be honest here, if there was a Batman vehicle pack for PGR, that included the Adam West 60's Batmobile, Tim Burton Batmobile, Nolan's Batmobile Tumber, and Nolan's Batpod...I'd spend $15 on it. Now that Bizarre's been bought out, it's not gonna happen, but it's something Criterion and EA could do. Instead of doing a ripoff they should license it.

In the end it has a lot to do with how much you are a fan of stuff I guess. I mean, if Criterion had worked with SEGA, and somehow made Sonic DLC where you could run as Sonic throughout Paradise City, I'd give them $30 and a jar full of sperm.
I'm picking off a few points:

For the old sponsor cars, it's a reward for buying the game early, they took it out with the latest version/PSN version. If you have a disk version, remove all the Patches. The code enter section will be there.

-subnote - You know what's going to annoy you? Since you are in the US version (mentioning the Circuit City Hot Rod), you're going to get even more angry at the "missing" Euro sponsor cars, and B'z "Isuka GT" in Japan. Oh, and not to mention, the online only cars.

You're right. It all boils down to perspective, and the pricing is questionable. I will end up buying this, but I do think they priced it entirely out of anyone who isn't a hardcore fan of the game itself.

crispyben

Pojo said:
I can understand needing to buy an expansion area of a game for new trophies (sometimes), but you need to buy new cars to get trophies? The whole concept sucks. I love Burnout and want to complete it 100%, but not if I have to buy addons to get token trophies that require no skill.
Good news! The Platinum trophy is obtained when you earned all trophies for the original game (that excludes the Cagney and Bikes packs' additional trophies). However, your percentage will never be 100% if you don't buy all the DLC, but hey, life's a bitch!

Mar_ said:
That doesn't help. Do you actually drive these things around? While driving with full sized cars or what?
Look at the screencap I posted, the biker's bigger than the ride, so it seems the Toy vehicles are not full-sized, or the rider's a giant? You do drive them around with regular vehicles, they will be available at the vehicle select screen, and there are trophies related to them:

Barrel Roll a Toy Car in the Airfield (Awarded for successfully landing a Barrel Roll in the Airfield driving any of the Toy Cars) [Bronze]
Win a Race in a Toy Car (Awarded for winning any Offline Race driving any of the Toy Cars) [Silver]
Complete a Bike Timed Challenge using the Toy Bike (Awarded when you complete any Timed Challenge using the Toy Bike) [Silver]

AlphaTwo00 said:
Hint: They are in your game already (if not rolled in by the new version). They will be 108k files, just like Party Pack.
They will be simple unlock keys, but apparently they're part of V1.70, which we would all have to download tomorrow... I wonder if it will be the same for each new DLC?

Sean said:
Turn 10 put out a pack of 13 licensed cars all for 400 MS Points/$5 (and two other packs of 11 licensed cars for $5), there is no excuse for Criterion's pricing here.
Didn't know that, sure puts Criterion Games to shame on this front, but looking at the big picture...

polg

RobbieNick said:
Go back to cheap ass Gaffers. $4 to play the Back To the Future Delorean in Burnout is okay with me.

The fact is Critereon has been supporting this title for a full year for free with cool add ons like the motorcycle mode and are only now starting to charge for DLC. So now, you start to complain about being charged for DLC that you don't ever have to buy.

GAF ain't happy unless they're bitching about some small thing.

Finally somebody sensible...

Mar

~Devil Trigger~ said:

You're doing something very wrong. Pressing the e-brake instead of the normal one? You must be. With the normal brake tap it once and steer for drift. Tapping the e-brake = total loss of control.

crispyben said:
They will be simple unlock keys, but apparently they're part of V1.70, which we would all have to download tomorrow... I wonder if it will be the same for each new DLC?
They'll have to be if the content can be brought online.

Ramenman

FightyF said:
I'm beginning to think it is.

1. I bought the 360 version used for $9 from a rental store.
  2. Had lots of fun with it.
  3. Saw the Party pack and thought "I had lots of fun with this, and I'll buy this to support the devs as my used purchase didn't do much for them".
  4. Party Pack fucking sucks.
  5. Why did I buy this piece of shit Party Pack? What was I thinking?
  6. I just burnt 800 MS points. I could have bought Machellevi's Ascent and Cave In Adventure and STILL have 400 pts left over!
  7. I could have had hours of fun with those games! But nooo, I had to support the devs by buying something completely fucking useless and frankly the Party Pack would be something that I wouldn't even download for FREE if it were an option.
  8. I realize that I still have cars locked that were given away for free by promotion, stuff like the Circuit City Hot Rod (which is a fun car to drive, I've tried it once)
  9. Realize that Criterion doesn't know what the fuck they are doing with DLC, because I paid for shit, and there's still plenty I don't have, and I don't think I can purchase them

You gave them money for nothing even though you knew you'd be able to give them money for something soon enough ?

You're the problem.

LiquidMetal14 said:
To each his own. You pay for what you want and I pay for I want, I'm sure you can live with that.

NO NO NO ! BITCH BITCH BITCH ! :mad:

FightyF

Banned
Mar_ said:
You're doing something very wrong. Pressing the e-brake instead of the normal one? You must be. With the normal brake tap it once and steer for drift. Tapping the e-brake = total loss of control.

I made the same mistake too. Just tap the regular brake and you'll get really nice drifts. Really reminds me of RRV.

AlphaTwo00 said:
For the old sponsor cars, it's a reward for buying the game early, they took it out with the latest version/PSN version. If you have a disk version, remove all the Patches. The code enter section will be there.

But I wonder why these cars aren't being sold, so I can buy them and have fun with them. I can totally understand it being a free reward...and that's what I assumed.
-subnote - You know what's going to annoy you? Since you are in the US version (mentioning the Circuit City Hot Rod), you're going to get even more angry at the "missing" Euro sponsor cars, and B'z "Isuka GT" in Japan. Oh, and not to mention, the online only cars.

Online only cars I can somewhat understand, you don't want anything game breaking in there. But yeah...why not sell this other stuff?

Ramenman said:
You gave them money for nothing even though you knew you'd be able to give them money for something soon enough?

No. No, I didn't. I didn't give them money for nothing, I gave them money for something annoying (in the form of an extra screen between me and my Burnouting), and secondly I had no idea what prices the cars were going to be at, so those weren't a definite purchase for me either. I was thinking of something along the PGR/Forza car pack line of prices.

edgefusion

FightyF said:
I didn't give them money for nothing, I gave them money for something annoying (in the form of an extra screen between me and my Burnouting)

That screen is there regardless of if you bought the pack or not, which makes it even more annoying. It seems Criterion went from being a developer that hated menus to one that absolutely loves them and decided to stick them all right before the game even starts.

FightyF said:
But I wonder why these cars aren't being sold, so I can buy them and have fun with them. I can totally understand it being a free reward...and that's what I assumed.
Well. Circuit City isn't exactly the place to ask for whether they want licensing now, and I'd bet that the loopholes to ask for that stuff with the licences might be more complicated at this point.

FightyF said:
Online only cars I can somewhat understand, you don't want anything game breaking in there. But yeah...why not sell this other stuff?
But they don't. Both online only cars are a) In the party pack, and b) Given out to certain press, staff, and high ranking players to use offline and online. There are even more special cars and decals that are only available to a select few as a reward from Criterion. But guess what, that stuff is rolled into all versions of the game.
edgefusion said:
That screen is there regardless of if you bought the pack or not, which makes it even more annoying. It seems Criterion went from being a developer that hated menus to one that absolutely loves them and decided to stick them all right before the game even starts.
This I won't defend at all. Damn thing takes forever to load already, and now added the additional menus just makes it more annoying. I do appreciate the Car/Bike menu though. Scanning through that row just to find bikes is damn annoying.

However, I do think that decision for the extra Store/Party menu is entirely driven by business execs. Sure, they can have it in the EasyDrive menu (The Store is, not sure about the party), but it has less visibility for most players.

Ramenman

FightyF said:
No. No, I didn't. I didn't give them money for nothing, I gave them money for something annoying (in the form of an extra screen between me and my Burnouting), and secondly I had no idea what prices the cars were going to be at, so those weren't a definite purchase for me either. I was thinking of something along the PGR/Forza car pack line of prices.

Well you still gave them money for something you didn't want, which is still kind of stupid :p
And the screen is there regardless if you've bought the pack or not (and yes it sucks).

If you were to spend money on something just to support them, might as well have put the money on something overpriced than on something useless, don't you agree ?

However, I do think that decision for the extra Store/Party menu is entirely driven by business execs.

Yeah :(

Holy shit at that Delorean pic! Where we're going we don't need roads!

Got my A rank license yesterday, and this is where the difficulty felt right. I'm starting to lose matches now, which adds to the tension of each race or event, I love it! I got used to the starter Aggression car, but with the A license difficulty I'm going to have to find a new favorite, it's just not cutting it anymore.

Top Bottom