• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

crispyben

BeeDog said:
Sweet. Does this pack come with a new set of trophies/achievements?
Yes, four Bronze trophies:

Win a Stunt Run in the P12 88 Special (Awarded for winning any Offline Stunt Run driving the P12 88 Special)
Light up the Manhattan Spirit during an Online Challenge (Awarded for using the flashing lights of the Manhattan Spirit during an Online Freeburn Challenge or Timed Challenge)
Score a Boost Chain of x3 in the GT Nighthawk (Awarded for achieving a Boost Chain of x3 driving the GT Nighthawk)
Sound the horn on a Silver Lake Super Jump in the Cavalry Bootlegger (Awarded for sounding the horn and successfully landing a Super Jump in Silver Lake driving the Cavalry Bootlegger )

BeeDog

crispyben said:
Yes, four Bronze trophies:

Win a Stunt Run in the P12 88 Special (Awarded for winning any Offline Stunt Run driving the P12 88 Special)
Light up the Manhattan Spirit during an Online Challenge (Awarded for using the flashing lights of the Manhattan Spirit during an Online Freeburn Challenge or Timed Challenge)
Score a Boost Chain of x3 in the GT Nighthawk (Awarded for achieving a Boost Chain of x3 driving the GT Nighthawk)
Sound the horn on a Silver Lake Super Jump in the Cavalry Bootlegger (Awarded for sounding the horn and successfully landing a Super Jump in Silver Lake driving the Cavalry Bootlegger )

Danke. Good, small incentive to try out these new cars.

Mar

No word on 360 achievements. It's starting to get me down... I know Microsoft ran over Criterion's dog, but come on. Why are they so dismissive of their fans on this platform? A lot of us have been the most vocal on various community sites. I know I've put in a fair bit of time on GAF!

Without any extra content to play through or achievements. I doubt I'm going to pay for the legendary cars.

crispyben

Always-honest said:
When is the island due again?
A member of the online community posted these, saying they're from EA, but I'd take it with a healthy dose of salt (no mention of PCPD pack):

https://twitter.com/zerojay said:
May 2009: Big Surf Island
March 2009: Toy Cars pack, Boost Specials pack
February 2009: Time Savers Pack, Legendary Cars

Mar_ said:
No word on 360 achievements. It's starting to get me down... I know Microsoft ran over Criterion's dog, but come on. Why are they so dismissive of their fans on this platform?
There were only two achievements vs. several trophies for the Party pack, I think Sony is much more permissive about these. Isn't there a GS cap for games, like 1250? I don't think that Criterion is trying to send a message with this. I hope it doesn't prevent you from enjoying them!

web01 said:
Any news on the price hope it is cheaper than the party pack which felt like a complete ripoff.
http://twitter.com/ThePosterBoy said:
The Legendary Cars can be bought individually or in a collection. We'll release price details via the Criterion Games Network later today.

No word on the pricing yet, but surely they won't be too cheap.

Anyway, I would prefer getting all of the upcoming DLC in a single pack. Other than the Big Surf island, I'm not willing to get any of it separately at their current/expected price.

Mar

crispyben said:
There were only two achievements vs. several trophies for the Party pack, I think Sony is much more permissive about these. Isn't there a GS cap for games, like 1250? I don't think that Criterion is trying to send a message with this. I hope it doesn't prevent you from enjoying them!

It's not just that though. It's their general attitude toward the platform. You know I love this game. My favourite of all time. But it's hard to remain enthusiastic about the developers when they treat you almost like a second class citizen.

From not even mentioning or acknowledging that the 360 version exists on their Crash TV cast for quite some time. To openly telling people to stop playing the 360 version and get the PS3 one. For me, It's nothing to do with system wars or such bullshit. I want a PS3, there are quite a few games I want on it and I'd buy BP again for it too. But I just don't have the cash to own both systems.

And I think how they treat the 360 is to their own detriment. I'm sure there are plenty of 360 owners like me out there that can't afford a PS3 as well. But unlike me, they may hear Criterion's own recommendations and think there's something wrong with the game on the one platform they own and not buy it.

It's just odd. I'm sure they have a million reasons to prefer the PS3 version. I bet they have much more freedom on there to do what they want. But alienating an entire fanbase on the 360 is a bit of a silly thing to do.

crispyben

Mar_ said:
It's not just that though. It's their general attitude toward the platform. You know I love this game. My favourite of all time. But it's hard to remain enthusiastic about the developers when they treat you almost like a second class citizen.
*snip*
It's just odd. I'm sure they have a million reasons to prefer the PS3 version. I bet they have much more freedom on there to do what they want. But alienating an entire fanbase on the 360 is a bit of a silly thing to do.
You're right. They even had to clear up a few misunderstandings as to whether some content (PCPD pack) would be PS3-exclusive after it was announced on the PS3-only page... I agree with you, but I really think the achievements vs. trophies stuff is out of their hands.

edgefusion

Mar_ said:

From not even mentioning or acknowledging that the 360 version exists on their Crash TV cast for quite some time. To openly telling people to stop playing the 360 version and get the PS3 one. For me, It's nothing to do with system wars or such bullshit. I want a PS3, there are quite a few games I want on it and I'd buy BP again for it too. But I just don't have the cash to own both systems.

And I think how they treat the 360 is to their own detriment. I'm sure there are plenty of 360 owners like me out there that can't afford a PS3 as well. But unlike me, they may hear Criterion's own recommendations and think there's something wrong with the game on the one platform they own and not buy it.

?? BP has the same content on both PS3 and 360 so what's the problem? You're complaining because Criterion don't talk about the 360 version?

BeeDog

Mar_ said:

:lol Now you know how PS3 owners feel when it comes to pretty much any 3rd party developer. (a recent example, see the recommendation in the FEAR2 thread from one (former?) dev to avoid the PS3 version, and grab the others immediately instead). But I definitely agree with you, it's bad practice.

BeeDog said:
:lol Now you know how PS3 owners feel when it comes to pretty much any 3rd party developer. (a recent example, see the recommendation in the FEAR2 thread from one (former?) dev to avoid the PS3 version, and grab the others immediately instead). But I definitely agree with you, it's bad practice.

Yep. PS3 has been getting shitted on for awhile now. Sucks dont it.

Anyways, just earned every trophy in the game last night. All 73 of them I think. For the Massive party trophy my fiance and I just played as ourselves and 3 alters and totaled up the scores after the 8 rounds. It was a blast. Almost just as fun making up 3 alter egos and making faces togo with them on the camera.

kaskade

I was listening to Rebel FM and they were talking about the game and john said that criterion told him to get the PS3 version. I have the 360 version and I've made some good progress, I haven't been playing the game as much as I should though. I was thinking about buying the PSN version of the game for 20 bucks but why is the PS3 version so much better? I always hear that it is but never really a reason.

crispyben

ThePeacemaker02 said:
I was listening to Rebel FM and they were talking about the game and john said that criterion told him to get the PS3 version. I have the 360 version and I've made some good progress, I haven't been playing the game as much as I should though. I was thinking about buying the PSN version of the game for 20 bucks but why is the PS3 version so much better? I always hear that it is but never really a reason.
It seems it was the lead version for development, but other than that it's a matter of controllers and online communities (and the in-game web page & store).

crispyben said:
It seems it was the lead version for development, but other than that it's a matter of controllers and online communities (and the in-game web page & store).

The fact that they never created a solution for 360 users to link their progress in breaking gates and billboards to see online (there has to be a way to transmit that information if they're following everything else in terms of stats) is a pretty gargantuanly massive sign that they're only doing the bare minimum in supporting the 360 version. I don't mind that much. I still love the game and will be buying all the DLC, but it does make it clear that they're a multiplatform developer that actively does not care as much about one platform. And the worst part is that it wasn't even part of a deal. I can get Bethesda and Rockstar making deals. Everyone needs money these days. But Criterion just said "Eh, why bother."

ETA: Presumably. I mean, there could be any number of reasons why this is impossible.

Vashu

crispyben said:

The webpage I can get, but the ingame store is quite moot. Mostly because you can grab the stuff from the LIVE Marketplace when you're in the game. Not just Burnout Paradise, all games on the Xbox 360.

I myself am in the posession of the PS3 version, and I love every minute of it. I don't get why the X360 version gets so underrated though, wish there was more clarity on that, other than PS3 being the lead-platform.

It's weird because Burnout 2 got a director's cut on the Xbox. If there's any hate there it's for Nintendo. I can't find the interview but they've expressed their displeasure in the past (when B3 was being worked on) and they have tempered their public reactions but I doubt that changed anything behind the scenes.

I think I remember the dude from Criterion that wrote a letter the Christmas before Paradise came out dismissed anybody complaining about the demo as bitter Gamecube fans, or something to that extent. My memory may have made it more offensive in time.

crispyben

TheGreatDave said:
I think I remember the dude from Criterion that wrote a letter the Christmas before Paradise came out dismissed anybody complaining about the demo as bitter Gamecube fans, or something to that extent. My memory may have made it more offensive in time.
Here.

Ramenman

crispyben said:

WTF WTF WTF this is like in FUCKING 3 DAYZ OMG OMGZ my heart totally skipped beats.

I'm so sensitive ;;_;;

Anyway I'm glad I decided to order a wifi adaptor this weekend. My laptop died and I have no other way to connect my 360, I would have been pissed.

Struct09

ThePeacemaker02 said:

I rented and played through the 360 version, and now own the PS3 version. In all honesty, I haven't noticed any differences. I wish I would have bought the 360 version instead actually - I prefer the controller and that's where all my friends play.

F#A#Oo

Banned
Mar_ said:

Welcome the the PS3 owner experience my friend only you get to experience it for one title in how many? Man up...

Ramenman

crispyben said:

Wasn't there far less trophies than achievements in the game to begin with ? Since the trophies were added later.
Maybe they're just trying to make up for the initial lack of trophies on the PS3 version.
Still, with all the achievements whore, they're missing out on easy money.

downloaded the patch last night. ended up playing the game for like 2 and a half hours straight. funny thing is ive et to go online or do that many races.Even with the restart I just hate the map. I always press select to see where i am, maybe i need to figure out a way to start glancing at the map on the corner more.

crispyben

Funny that during the discussion on CG pushing the PS3 more comes out this Sky News video piece on 3D gaming, featuring Burnout Paradise PC played with the Xbox 360 controller, including the first footage of the Hawker Mech in action!

The screen says "Agression Boost activated. Use the siren button to switch boost." :D The car changes colors?!?

And is that a GT Nighthawk I see?

As for the 360 achievements: I'm willing to bet that the bigger DLCs like the Island will be the ones getting actual achievement points. They probably know what their end number of DLC is, and will have to stretch it to fit the 1250.

crispyben said:
Funny that during the discussion on CG pushing the PS3 more comes out this Sky News video piece on 3D gaming, featuring Burnout Paradise PC played with the Xbox 360 controller, including the first footage of the Hawker Mech in action!

The screen says "Agression Boost activated. Use the siren button to switch boost." :D And the car changes colors ?!?

And is that a GT Nighthawk I see?
HOLY CRAP. Hawker Mech will be the car to drive when it gets released.

Mar_ said:

I think their numbers on their online service can tell you why that is. I now have both the PSN and the 360 version, and it's quite sad to see, on a daily basis, how many more races and actual freeburn events happen on the PS3 vs the 360.

You want to know what the number of races that took places yesterday on the 360? 84. PS3? Almost triple of that. Sure, for a game that its a year old that isn't Halo and CoD, yes, the fact that the online community exist is great, but it clearly shows you that they can afford to have a bias because they know where their bread is buttered.

Aladuf

Banned
Cars this Thursday, huh.. very nice. I might just hold out on buying them until the Island's release though so I can have a whole lot to experience at once.

I have both versions but play the 360 one more often due to the fact that my friends are on that one more but I am a bit upset at the lack of achievements.

I am sure it is a MS thing but they have allowed other games (Orange Box with 99) to go well beyond the achievement limit in the past so why not let Burnout.

Not sure why Criterion sort of dismisses the 360 version as they have obviously spent a good deal of time with the system. Paradise runs perfectly on the 360 and it is the second Burnout game on the platform with Revenge landing in the first year of the consoles life.

Outside of the hints at them favoring the PS3 version does anyone know if there was something that happened between the companies? Was it MS not allowing it to be downloadable on the Marketplace or something else?

Either way.. my friends and I really enjoy it and play it often on the 360 so hopefully MS lets them expand the achievements but I have little faith that will happen.

Keikoku

Banned
bigGIRLSblouse said:
I have both versions but play the 360 one more often due to the fact that my friends are on that one more but I am a bit upset at the lack of achievements.

I am sure it is a MS thing but they have allowed other games (Orange Box with 99) to go well beyond the achievement limit in the past so why not let Burnout.

Not sure why Criterion sort of dismisses the 360 version as they have obviously spent a good deal of time with the system. Paradise runs perfectly on the 360 and it is the second Burnout game on the platform with Revenge landing in the first year of the consoles life.

Outside of the hints at them favoring the PS3 version does anyone know if there was something that happened between the companies? Was it MS not allowing it to be downloadable on the Marketplace or something else?

Either way.. my friends and I really enjoy it and play it often on the 360 so hopefully MS lets them expand the achievements but I have little faith that will happen.

How do they manage to favorite the PS3 version ? I'd like to know because I read that often, I own the 360 version and I'm ready to trade it for the PS3 version if it's better, I'd just like to know WHY.

Flunkie

Banned
Aladuf said:
Cars this Thursday, huh.. very nice. I might just hold out on buying them until the Island's release though so I can have a whole lot to experience at once.
This sounds like a great idea, actually. Buy everything at once so it's a big hit of awesomesauce all at once.

Keikoku said:
How do they manage to favorite the PS3 version ? I'd like to know because I read that often, I own the 360 version and I'm ready to trade it for the PS3 version if it's better, I'd just like to know WHY.

I explained it pretty well. Because of PS3's ability to upload save files, they offer the option to get a map of all your missing gates and billboards. Now, obviously, you can't do the same thing for the 360, but considering what gets tracked online, there's certainly some way you can do it, I'd imagine, but they haven't implemented it yet, who knows if they're actually trying.

I personally would love to have the option. It might not be the hugest deal, but if you combine that with more Achievements/Trophies, the PS3 version is unquestionably "better".

Returners

Didn't see these posted yet:

From the Burnout network:

Pricing for the Legendary Cars:
Individual
88 Special (DeLorean) - 3.99
Manhattan Spirit (Ghostbusters) - 1.99
Cavalry Bootlegger (General Lee) - 1.99
GT Nighthawk (KITT) - 1.99

Legendary Cars Pack - 7.99

Returners said:

Individual

o_O. Did not see this price coming. I can see the bitching and the stampede. RUN FOR YOUR LIVES.

Mar_ said:
No word on 360 achievements. It's starting to get me down... I know Microsoft ran over Criterion's dog, but come on. Why are they so dismissive of their fans on this platform? A lot of us have been the most vocal on various community sites. I know I've put in a fair bit of time on GAF!

Without any extra content to play through or achievements. I doubt I'm going to pay for the legendary cars.

Lionel Hutz: "The judge has had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog..."

Marge: "Oh dear!"

Hutz: "Well, replace 'kinda' with 'repeatedly' and 'dog' with 'son'."

Returners said:

Individual

Wait...why would it be so much for the one car and so cheap for all of them?

that said, $1.99 sounds right for 1 car. That's how much one song on RB costs, after all.

jet1911

Returners said:

Individual

lol wut

Keikoku

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
I explained it pretty well. Because of PS3's ability to upload save files, they offer the option to get a map of all your missing gates and billboards. Now, obviously, you can't do the same thing for the 360, but considering what gets tracked online, there's certainly some way you can do it, I'd imagine, but they haven't implemented it yet, who knows if they're actually trying.

I personally would love to have the option. It might not be the hugest deal, but if you combine that with more Achievements/Trophies, the PS3 version is unquestionably "better".

Uh ? That's all ? Just a upload save feature ?
I don't think that's enough to make a superior version for me.

Struct09

bune duggy said:
Wait...why would it be so much for the one car and so cheap for all of them?

that said, $1.99 sounds right for 1 car. That's how much one song on RB costs, after all.

Seems pretty obvious. The Delorean will be the most popular car, and a number of people will probably only want that one.

what until you have 1 smash left, then you'll change your mind. ;)

So it seems like price fixing/discrimination because everyone wants to drive the DeLorean, right? I mean, it's like iTunes and the $1.29 "popular" songs because they want more money.

EDIT: thanks for posting what I was trying to say 1 minute before I did, ass. :p

Also, I tried amazon and they won't ship from the UK. I tried GAME and they said there was an error and to call them and I'll be damned if I can figure out how to call them.

Top Bottom