• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Sean

Banned
Four bucks for a single car? I could just picture them reading the forums and doubling the price of that one when they saw fans were really excited over it.

Ah well, looks like I'll only be buying the island now (unless they go overboard with the pricing on that one too).

web01 said:
What a goddamn ripoff.
First the party pack and now this screw you EA and Criterion!

Also those sucking up with the "but look at the stuff they gave us for free"
guess what its not even that good. Cant even do races with bikes which is pathetic.
Also its likely the free stuff was just held back because they rushed to get the game out at release.

Not to mention the new cars are basically slight variations of existing cars with some fancy gimick and better stats added!
welp, you changed my mind.

Ramenman

web01 said:
What a goddamn ripoff.
First the party pack and now this screw you EA and Criterion!

Did you buy the party pack ?

Not to mention the new cars are basically slight variations of existing cars with some fancy gimick and better stats added!

Yeah, I reallty don't know why you'd want to buy them.

Oh wait, why were you bitching then ?

jts

...hate me...
What were you expecting? Criterion am god but their asses belong to EA.

That being said, I really wanna buy everyfucking pack for this game. I just have to get 4 other loonies like me willing to get all the DLC, gamesharing and splitting the costs. Viva la PSN.

crispyben

Oni Jazar said:
you'd think at those prices they would have gotten the actual licensing for the real cars, not fake knock offs.
A) Licensing these cars would have cost so much they would have been even more expensive
B) Burnout has never been about licensed cars, that would be NFS

i saw someone saying PC owners have to wait a month for the DLC. is there a story or a specific date saying when we can hope to get it?

$8 is pretty much nothing to me. i appreciate that's different for everyone and that what i think is affordable isn't what you think is affordable, but i am pretty upset that a years worth of free stuff is now considered pretty much moot.

you don't have to buy this, but i don't see how Criterion charging more than some people can justify spending for a few extra cars invalidates all the work they did giving you all that free stuff.

I picked this up at CC for $16 with their liquidation deals, awesome awesome awesome game! I'm just about done with my C license and hoping it gets more difficult; so far I haven't really struggled on any event and am usually in 1st place the entire time. I favor the Aggression type cars and have no interest in trying the bikes cuz I figure you won't be able to takedown any opponents.

Since I'm really loving the game and only paid $16 for it, I don't mind paying the $8 for these Legendary cars or for the Island. When are these due, anyway?

Is the game glitchy at all? It froze on me once during an event and I had to hard boot my 360.

Gryphter said:
I picked this up at CC for $16 with their liquidation deals, awesome awesome awesome game! I'm just about done with my C license and hoping it gets more difficult; so far I haven't really struggled on any event and am usually in 1st place the entire time. I favor the Aggression type cars and have no interest in trying the bikes cuz I figure you won't be able to takedown any opponents.

Since I'm really loving the game and only paid $16 for it, I don't mind paying the $8 for these Legendary cars or for the Island. When are these due, anyway?

Is the game glitchy at all? It froze on me once during an event and I had to hard boot my 360.
Cars: This Thursday.

Glitchy? Given how the game is, no. The only rare one that I've ran into is when you finish a burning route, and it rewards you with a car, and it never bails out of it. (happened to both 360 and PSN version)

Canti

I think the problem here with the "you don't have to buy it" defence is what BP fans want to buy it, they don't mind paying, just not at these prices. For instance, if it was $2 a car and $6 for the set I'd have probably said nothing, but is double the price for the Delorean justified? Sure it had more work put into it than the other models (with the hover mode) but these are all modifications to existing cars as it is. Even if you are willing to buy these, surely you must agree charging more for the Delorean "just because you can" stinks a bit.

These movie cars are unlicensed homages/knock-offs of other companies ideas that EA are profiting from without subsidy (making profit off the work of others that made these cars famous to begin with). If this business model proves successful, then I fully expect $3 a car in any inevitable sequels. The fans have to complain rather than bend over and take it up the rear, to stop the escalation of such practices (in before "perceived value" claims).

If 4 cars cost $8, the idea that the island will go for anything less than $15 seems like a pipe dream now. As others have pointed out, that's the price (or more) of a fully fledged PSN game. Don't get me wrong I love BP, but buying all the DLC is looking like a $60 affair. I'm not angry with this business model, just disappointed.

cool, thanks alphatwo. I'm not sure if I want to buy the legendary cars while I'm still early in the game, I don't want them to make all the other cars useless. I can't wait to fire up Ecto 1 though, so we'll see.

It's pretty easy to miss a turn and lose the race just because you're on the wrong road. The restart option is really nice and I can see why everyone was pissed before they put it in. I know that I wouldn't have even bothered to go back to the starting point manually; I would have just driven to a different event.

Is there a check rearview button? I know you can move the camera with the right analog, but what if I just want to check behind me real quick? The only button I didn't try is press in on the right analog.

Gryphter said:
cool, thanks alphatwo. I'm not sure if I want to buy the legendary cars while I'm still early in the game, I don't want them to make all the other cars useless. I can't wait to fire up Ecto 1 though, so we'll see.

It's pretty easy to miss a turn and lose the race just because you're on the wrong road. The restart option is really nice and I can see why everyone was pissed before they put it in. I know that I wouldn't have even bothered to go back to the starting point manually; I would have just driven to a different event.

Is there a check rearview button? I know you can move the camera with the right analog, but what if I just want to check behind me real quick? The only button I didn't try is press in on the right analog.
LB/L1 is mapped to rear view.

When I first started the game, I actually did more exploring and figured out which is the best route. The middle of the city still sometimes leaves me confused, and sometimes taking the blinker's advice may not be the best choice. But usually, the first batch of races aren't that punishing enough that if you missed one or two turns will put you too far back.

web01

Ramenman said:
Did you buy the party pack ?

Yeah, I reallty don't know why you'd want to buy them.

Oh wait, why were you bitching then ?

Yeah I did buy the party pack and it was a ripoff most of the people who brought it have said that. Doesnt even have half the options it should have. A very half assed effort at an add on.

Also the point about them being variations of existing cars is that they were very easy to make and remodel and that they should be a much cheaper price to refelect this. But maybe because your trying to be some EA defender you cant see that? I never said I didnt want them but they should be alot cheaper you are just being a smart ass asking questions like that.

To the rest of the people who quoted me that I cant be bothered addressing seriously grow up. Quote people all you want if it makes you feel like some type of internet genius by posting what you believe are witty responses. But it wont change the fact that the DLC is a ripoff no mater what way you look at it.

ie commments like this:

Mar_ said:
I bet those Criterion fuckers broke into your house, flushed your head down a toilet and pissed on your rug too.

It's a goddamn outrage!

Returners

web01 said:
Yeah I did buy the party pack and it was a ripoff most of the people who brought it have said that. Doesnt even have half the options it should have. A very half assed effort at an add on.

Also the point about them being variations of existing cars is that they were very easy to make and remodel and that they should be a much cheaper price to refelect this. But maybe because your trying to be some EA defender you cant see that? I never said I didnt want them but they should be alot cheaper you are just being a smart ass asking questions like that.

To the rest of the people who quoted me that I cant be bothered addressing seriously grow up. Quote people all you want if it makes you feel like some type of internet genius by posting what you believe are witty responses. But it wont change the fact that the DLC is a ripoff no mater what way you look at it.

ie commments like this:

chill man....

jts said:
What were you expecting? Criterion am god but their asses belong to EA..

I like how when studios that are owned by EA do things we like, we thank the studios. When it's studios owned by EA doing bad things, we blame EA.

EA are probably the ones to thank for Burnout being supported this long anyway.

TheGreatDave said:
I like how when studios that are owned by EA do things we like, we thank the studios. When it's studios owned by EA doing bad things, we blame EA.

Yup. I still wonder how well the sales are, and how the hell can they afford keeping the staff around this long for seemingly just this one game. Sure, there are other games in the pipeline, but over one year with nothing new announced? This is a huge gamble from EA to keep this going as long as it has. I'm surprised that the island hasn't been quickly shuffled into the next Burnout, and the Bikes weren't thrown into a different game altogether.

While I don't know the full extent of the testing and balancing that needs to be done for each new car introduced to the world of Burnout Paradise, but I'm assuming it's something rather substantial so that the new DLC doesn't break the game.

It's not like they're slapping together some high res models.

DuckRacer

gamerecks said:
Wow, im surprised at all the turn around in this thread. Criterion offers so much for free, and even give warning of paid dlc, and everyone starts attacking them with a fervor.
Ugh. People aren't attacking them because they're charging for DLC, they're attacking them because they're overcharging for DLC. $10 for a barebones mode, $8 for four cars (and if you only want the Delorean, that's $4 – for one single car), etc.

When Activision started selling DLC for Guitar Hero 2, you could only buy a 3-pack for $6.25 – no purchasing individual songs, so if you wanted one you had to buy them all – and everyone complained. When Guitar Hero 3 came along, people still complained. When Rock Band came along, the pricing model changed; $5.50 for a 3-pack, or $2 for an individual song. The complaining stopped. GH:WT adopted that model. No one bitches about DLC pricing nowadays.

My point is this: if the Party pack was $5, and the cars were, say, $1.50 a piece and $5 for all four, there would be no backlash, and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I may still get the General Lee clone, but that's assuming there's the classic orange / Confederate flag color scheme and the horn is basically spot on to the original. And even still I'd think on it.

crispyben

DuckRacer said:
I may still get the General Lee clone, but that's assuming there's the classic orange / Confederate flag color scheme and the horn is basically spot on to the original. And even still I'd think on it.
Using the Confederate flag and the original horn would put them is several kinds of trouble, so it will remain with the Mexican flag and a mysterious horn (La Cucaracha maybe?) in honor of a member of the BP community, but they said it was also available in orange.

EDIT: somebody on Operation Burnout was prompted to download a new update, bringing him to V1.70 and allowing him to see the Legendary Cars in the junkyard... Here's a picture of the P12 88 Special's stats:
snexk1.jpg

Oh man, the mistakes in the Manhattan Spirit's copy are still there!

DuckRacer

crispyben said:
Using the Confederate flag and the original horn would put them is several kinds of trouble, so it will remain with the Mexican flag and a mysterious horn (La Cucaracha maybe?) in honor of a member of the BP community, but they said it was also available in orange.
Thanks for the info, I'll pass then.

DuckRacer said:
When Activision started selling DLC for Guitar Hero 2, you could only buy a 3-pack for $6.25 – no purchasing individual songs, so if you wanted one you had to buy them all – and everyone complained. When Guitar Hero 3 came along, people still complained. When Rock Band came along, the pricing model changed; $5.50 for a 3-pack, or $2 for an individual song. The complaining stopped. GH:WT adopted that model. No one bitches about DLC pricing nowadays.
OH GOD OH GOD. You're going to drag TheGreatDave and M3wThr33 right back in!

crispyben

Still from Operation Burnout, here's a look at the Toys pack... No comment on the bobblehead biker. The Hunter Citizen is in. Looks like they will be split in several packs!

w85b80.jpg
j8irrn.jpg

And confirmation the the Dust Storm is packaged with Big Surf Island:

20r1h8y.jpg

HoTHiTTeR

damn, 8 bucks for 4 cars? I said crap when I heard it earlier, I was thinking maybe 400 MSPTs was reasonable; is that new island gonna cost 1600? :\

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Enough about bitching about them charging for cars. I am buying them Thursday.

Yesterday I bought the download from PSN. I originally bought the disc for 360, but I after the latest RROD, I am really trying to avoid playing the 360 that much. Anyway, the game plays great and the ease of playing from the XMB is so nice.

The graphical updates are subtle, but definitely make a difference. Also, it seems that the driving is a bit more forgiving.

crispyben said:
Still from Operation Burnout, here's a look at the Toys pack... No comment on the bobblehead biker. The Hunter Citizen is in. Looks like they will be split in several packs!

w85b80.jpg
j8irrn.jpg

And confirmation the the Dust Storm is packaged with Big Surf Island:

20r1h8y.jpg
Woo. I called it on getting new bikes!

epmode

Luckyman said:
EA is back bitches
TheGreatDave said:

Thanks Dave.

plagiarize said:
i saw someone saying PC owners have to wait a month for the DLC. is there a story or a specific date saying when we can hope to get it?

$8 is pretty much nothing to me. i appreciate that's different for everyone and that what i think is affordable isn't what you think is affordable, but i am pretty upset that a years worth of free stuff is now considered pretty much moot.

you don't have to buy this, but i don't see how Criterion charging more than some people can justify spending for a few extra cars invalidates all the work they did giving you all that free stuff.
If you use the in-game browser to look at the news, there's an article about the legendary cars being released for PS3 this Thursday. They also state that date and price announcements for PC users are coming soon and that we can probably expect the DLC in a month.

Just double-dipped for the first time ever, and now I have Burnout Paradise on 360 and PS3.

I like having the no-disc, play-at-any-time accessibility of the PS3 version, but no matter what 1up and Criterion themselves say, I still think the 360 is the superior version. Easier custom playlist support (I stream from my laptop), better integration of news (hate the PS3 browser) and the graphics/performance are so similar I don't really notice the differences.

Been trying to get my 20x Boost Chain achievement/trophy and I'm starting to think its friggin impossible. But its gotten me to play the speed cars for once, and it almost feels like an entirely different burnout. Sweet Jesus I've sunk so many gleeful hours into this game and it always has more to offer. Criterion am gods.

Last bit: Love the retries. I used to think the game didn't need them, but now that I have them I use them and appreciate them. Takes the entire edge off of losing a race from taking one wrong shortcut. Also couldn't be easier to use.

CrookedRain said:
If you use the in-game browser to look at the news, there's an article about the legendary cars being released for PS3 this Thursday. They also state that date and price announcements for PC users are coming soon and that we can probably expect the DLC in a month.
thank you.

kaskade

Shit, I think I'm going to get the PS3 version before all of the pay for DLC comes out. Fist time I've ever double dipped a game.

RotBot

NullPointer said:
Been trying to get my 20x Boost Chain achievement/trophy and I'm starting to think its friggin impossible.
That's only an xbox achievement. Did you try driving against traffic on I-88?

I wish the PS3 trophies weren't all so easy to get, but then again, I didn't have a 100% savegame before the trophy patch.

Returners

RotBot said:
That's only an xbox achievement. Did you try driving against traffic on I-88?

I wish the PS3 trophies weren't all so easy to get, but then again, I didn't have a 100% savegame before the trophy patch.

Its also a PS3 "award". No bearings on the trophy whatsoever.

Doodis

I posted this a while back, but nobody answered - what's the deal with planes in the game? They released news of them months ago but I haven't heard anything since.

And my two cents: Will not pay for overpriced legendary cars. Will pay for new island area.

Doodis said:
I posted this a while back, but nobody answered - what's the deal with planes in the game? They released news of them months ago but I haven't heard anything since.

And my two cents: Will not pay for overpriced legendary cars. Will pay for new island area.
I haven't hear anything either, I think the DeLorean is the only "flying" vehicle we will get, to bad I wanted the planes too.

Mar

Gryphter said:
I'm just about done with my C license and hoping it gets more difficult; so far I haven't really struggled on any event and am usually in 1st place the entire time. I favor the Aggression type cars and have no interest in trying the bikes cuz I figure you won't be able to takedown any opponents.

It's a pretty easy game. This was my concern with the introduction of retry, as well as the complaints about the slo-mo crash penalty. With retry gone, the game is even easier. If they take out the slo-mo crash, you basically have no difficulty in the game at all and can only lose if you crash 5 metres before the finish line.

It does get harder right near the end though. When you've got about 10 to 20 events to go the difficulty does ramp up quite a bit. Traffic will start to veer toward you. And AI cars will spawn in all around you during Marked Man etc. But it still never gets hard. It's a very easy going game.

Gryphter said:

No, not glitchy. You must have run into a random issue. In 400 hours the only freezing problems I had were back in the old days when you'd try and start an online game and the servers were down, causing the game to hang. They fixed that in a patch though.

crispyben said:
here's a look at the Toys pack... No comment on the bobblehead biker. The Hunter Citizen is in. Looks like they will be split in several packs!

Can someone explain to me what these toy cars are? I'm at a total loss.

Pojo

Banned
I can understand needing to buy an expansion area of a game for new trophies (sometimes), but you need to buy new cars to get trophies? The whole concept sucks. I love Burnout and want to complete it 100%, but not if I have to buy addons to get token trophies that require no skill.

Top Bottom