• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

web01

bune duggy said:
But that's not how I look at it at all so stop presuming.

well explain you reasoning and why you believe it is a fair price?

after all we know that they are:

• remodeled variations of other cars (very little work involved)
  • flashy special effects added

Its not like an entire map pack or or something along those lines that may have thousands of hours in modelling work and testing put into it.
Also saying its worth the money to support them is not a valid argument to justify the price.

web01 said:

Its not like an entire map pack or or something along those lines that may have thousands of hours in modelling work and testing put into it.
Also saying its worth the money to support them is not a valid argument to justify the price.
Oh. So you are on the dev team and knows how much effort went into making it work then now?

Returners

AnEternalEnigma said:
I have the funds and I'm not poor. I will not be buying any of the cars. It's a little overpriced and since I am responsible with my money, I don't send a bad message to developers and pay for things I feel are overcharged. That's the way it is.

We get it. People vote with their money. Stop trying to impose your opinions on other people.

Also since this might come up. The cars are downloaded as part of 1.70 patch. This is done so you can play with people who have the cars. All you're downloading later is a 108kb key to unlock it. (Just like LBP actually)

web01

AlphaTwo00 said:
Oh. So you are on the dev team and knows how much effort went into making it work then now?

I am only stating the obvious you only have to open your eyes to see to see that.
Though some people are in denial about it.

HBP

I am loving this game, I had it before and traded it in because the triggers on PS3 were very uncomfortable to me. Well I got the real triggers attachments a few months back and then picked this up at $20 and it is fantastic. I haven't bought any DLC yet, but I think I will once I get further into the game.

PSN kapshin if anyone wants to race a noob.

Mar

Gryphter said:
Holy shit at that Delorean pic! Where we're going we don't need roads!

Got my A rank license yesterday, and this is where the difficulty felt right. I'm starting to lose matches now, which adds to the tension of each race or event, I love it! I got used to the starter Aggression car, but with the A license difficulty I'm going to have to find a new favorite, it's just not cutting it anymore.

The Hunter Citizen, once I unlocked it, took me through the rest of the game. I'd recommend it.

Also, after watching those videos of the new cars in action. I take back what I said. I'm going to buy them. They are fucking awesome.

McLovin

Geez after all the free stuff that they could have charged for and some of you guys bitch when they charge for DLC. At this point they could make DLC that simulates poop on a stick and I would pay them $10 as a thanks for all the free stuff. Motorcycles, night and day cycles, new cars, etc.

None of the stuff they've added (apart from the retry option) is as appealing as a fucking Knight Rider car, so they don't really get off with that excuse.

I was a little disappointed to learn that they were not included in the ultimate box (which I thought they were before buying it) but something about this turns me off buying them, especially the BTTF based car costing double, having low stats so it will be rather pointless for racing in, meh.

I've had 500 points on my account unspent for months now so it is tempting to buy a car, but I think I will just pass.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
LiquidMetal14 said:
Only 4 more trophies for my platinum. I can smell it now.

I'm kind of mad at myself because I ended up not getting credit for the really early trophies (3 gates, D and C License, etc). Although I'm nowhere near getting a platinum. I actually just got my Burnout License a couple days ago.

Mar

TheGreatDave said:
None of the stuff they've added (apart from the retry option) is as appealing as a fucking Knight Rider car, so they don't really get off with that excuse.

2h50380.gif

You are seriously reaching for things to complain about now. None of the free content was as good as an added car? Really?

Cagney Update:

New Vehicles

* Nakamura Rai-Jin Turbo
* Hunter Olympus

New Liveries

* Carson Hippie Van - fan-made Carson Inferno Van livery
* Hunter Oval Steel Racer - fan-made Hunter Racing Oval Champ livery New Freeburn Challenges

There are 70 new multi-part Timed Challenges. Each challenge has a leaderboard showing the top performers of each new challenge. Also, when playing any challenge, if one player leaves the game, the challenge will no longer be canceled. It will be as if that player had completed his/her part of the challenge. However, if a second player leaves, then the challenge will be canceled.

New Freeburn Game Modes

There are three new game modes to play while freeburning online. The host can access them by using the easy-drive menu.

Online Stunt Run

Very similar to single-player Stunt Run, each player tries to rack up the greatest score in the given amount of time. However if they are taken down by another player, their combo is killed. You will be able to play freeburn stunt run with up to seven other players.

Online Marked Man

Similar to single-player Marked Man, in freeburn marked man, a player is randomly selected by the game to be the 'marked man'. The other players gang up on the 'marked man' and try to take him down. The 'marked man' scores by taking down those chasing him down and making it 90 seconds without crashing or being taken down.

Online Road Rage

Players are randomly put on one of two teams. One team tries to race through set checkpoints while the other team tries to stop them by taking them down. You will be able to play freeburn road rage with up to seven other players.

Ranked Race Changes

There were many Ranked Race changes to help rid ranked racing of cheating. Instead of custom routes now are able to use any of the Paradise Drives. There are 40 new ones included in the 'Cagney' update including 7 user-created races.

* No more custom routes
* No more 'rounds' (excluding 10 Paradise Drives with checkpoints)
* Traffic is no longer able to be switched off
* Vehicles are able to be grouped by boost rating
* You are now able to select your car after you see the race's route
* The host no longer has the ability to kick players
* Starting positions are based on the players' Rankings
* All cars have full boost bars at the start of the race
* Rank and Racing points are displayed on Today's Best
* There are new Map icons to further tell the difference between start and finish points
* There is a Canadian leaderboard

Additional Fixes

Title Screen
Live Page

* There is a new title screen for you to look at when you start up the game featuring the Nakamura Rai-Jin Turbo that is included in the Cagney update.

* The Live Page is accessible through the EasyDrive Menu and the Start Menu. It shows Burnout Paradise news updates, what you've done recently in Paradise City, and what people are playing online. It also shows weather and time for real-life cities.

* The PlayStation 3 version of the game now features custom soundtrack support. Players are able to select music they have uploaded onto their PS3 hard drive and listen to it in-game. (The Xbox 360 version of the game already includes custom soundtrack support.) There are also new in-game music tracks.

* 1080i is now supported on the PlayStation 3. There are also improved graphics for players using SD televisions.

* Players can now see if other online players' cars are damaged.

* There are now sound effects included for the EasyDrive menu. The EasyDrive menu also closes after 20 seconds of inactivity.

* Searching for online games returns more information than before.

* You now have the ability to reverse mapping of camera controls on the right analogue stick using the 'under the hood' menu.

* You now recieve a "shout-out" if you are ahead in all of the "Today's Best" categories.

* You are now able to view online leaderboards for Ranked Races and Freeburn Challenges while in an Online Freeburn.

* The Hunter Citizen's sirens are now funtional.

* The classical music from Picture Paradise is now included in the game's soundtrack.

* You are now able to mute any player in an online freeburn.

* The turn signal navigation is improved.

Davis Update:

Motorbikes

Playable motorcycles (a first in the Burnout series) are included in Burnout Bikes.

List of Bikes

Two bikes are available at the beginning of Burnout Bikes.

* Nakamura FV1100
* Nakamura FV1100-T1
* Nakamura Firehawk V4
* Nakamura Firehawk GP Competition

In-Game Models

Unlike with vehicles in Paradise, the motorcycle rider will be featured as an either male or female in-game model. In event of a crash, the bike model will not be damaged and the rider will disappear until the bike respawns.

The bikes do not have boost or respond to the e-brake.

Wheelies may be accomplished by pushing down on the controller's joystick and using the accelerator at the same time.

Motorbike Game Play

These are also included specifically for motorbike game play...

* Motorcycle licenses similar to Licenses used in the single-player game for cars
* Time Road Rules for all 64 roads in Paradise City for both day and night.

as well as...

Burning Rides and Midnight Rides

A variation of the Burning Routes for cars in Paradise, in the daytime Burning Rides, the player will have a set time limit to drive through checkpoints placed around Paradise City and to the finish line on his bike. At night, there will be separate routes called Midnight Rides that are along the same guidelines as the Burning Rides. There are 19 Burning Rides and 19 Midnight Rides.

Bike Challenges

There are 70 new challenges created specifically for bikes, 35 of them will be timed, multi-part challenges (similar to the New Challenges in the Cagney Update.)

During online challenges, all players clocks are synced with that of the host to eliminate any unfair advantages.

Day/Night Cycle

'Davis' also features a day/night transitional cycle. This will be used for Time Road Rules for day and night. The player can choose how long the transition takes and can switch between settings at any time offline. Settings cannot be changed in online play and will be locked to whatever setting the host has chosen.

There are 5 settings:

Setting (real time = game time)

* 24 minute day (1 second = 1 min)
* 48 minute day (2 seconds = 1 min)
* 2 hour day (5 seconds = 1 min)
* 24 hour day (60 seconds = 1 min, Real Time)
* Match Local Time (Current time on your console, Real Time)
* Constant

* Sunrise (6am)
* Midday (12pm)
* Sunset(8pm)
* Midnight (12am)

Weather Effects

A dynamic weather system was introduced to change the feel of the city during the day/night cycle. While the dynamic weather is a Burnout first, weather, as a whole, has been in Burnout Before. In Burnout 2: Point of Impact, there was an option to choose from two different weather options, usually sunny or overcast and rain or snow respectively. The weather effects in Burnout Paradise are fog effects only, though, no rain or snow is included.

Vehicle Liveries

* Rossolini Tempesta Dream
* Carson GT Tiger

paparazzo

TheGreatDave said:
So buy the stupid car and stop bitching already. Yes, it is over priced but no one wants to hear your whining anymore. You're playing a broken record.

web01 said:

Do I really need to explain what "in my opinion" means? You see it one way, I see it another. You're not going to change my mind and I'm not going to change yours. so why bother arguing?

The Skater said:
So buy the stupid car and stop bitching already. Yes, it is over priced but no one wants to hear your whining anymore. You're playing a broken record.

You Can't Make a Record If, You Can't Make a Record If, You Can't Make a Record If...

My point is that it's backwards to say "well, this thing they did last year was good, so the thing they've done now is fine". If you like the prices that's super duper. This pricing doesn't bode well for the Island when it comes out, if that's at a high price is that fine too? What if they release more cars; they're not going to suddenly get cheaper.

JaseMath

web01 said:

Fucking Christ, Criterion has been dishing out FREE DLC FOR THE LAST YEAR. Get over a $3.99 car pack - don't buy it if you think it's too much. It's not complicated.

Pachael

TheGreatDave said:
This logic is retarded.

It's not - didn't some posters buy the Party Pack due to the love of the free DLC and support? Like I've said before, a great thank-you note sent straight to Criterion with a $20 check for the free DLC would be a far better use of the monies.

Or you could spend $20 to buy something else that is more full featured

Or put it in the bank

I dunno.

Kryten

Weird, the cars are available for purchase in the Marketplace, but aren't available in-game yet. And they bumped the price to 640pts for New Zealand.

Edit: Toy Cars are available for purchase as well, 480pts.

Kryten

No :) They're definitely there though. The new patch (1.7) is available from Marketplace so I'm grabbing that down, the update isn't triggered when you launch the game yet.

The individual Toy cars are 160pts each in the NZ store. Shit, just realised that there's TWO collections for the Toys, 480pts each.

Kryten

crispyben said:
Let us know if you manage to buy one and play it!

Well, they've taken the points off me - the 360 update (at least the one I've found in the marketplace) is 870mb, the download is frigging killing me right now.

Looking at the in game store, it looks like EA is pushing Criterion in to a NFS model ... ie you can buy cars that you haven't unlocked in normal play :/

Kryten

While I wait:

xbox.com said:
Burnout™ Paradise Toy Collection 1000pts

This collection gets you all of the fantastic Burnout Paradise Toys in one pack. Hunter bring you the Cavalry, Manhattan, Citizen and Takedown 4x4. Carson wade in with the GT Concept and Inferno van, Jansen offer up the wonderful P12 and the Krieger WTR rounds off the cars. Last but not least, Nakamura have created a Toy version of the fantastic Firehawk bike. All of the fan favourites in Toy form at incredible value.

Burnout™ Paradise Toy Car Collection 1 480pts

Featuring Hunter's Cavalry and Manhattan, the Jansen P12 and the awesome Krieger WTR this pack represents fantastic value over purchasing these cars individually.

Burnout™ Paradise Toy Car Collection 2 480pts

This collection features Hunter's Takedown 4x4 and incredible Citizen partnering up with Carson's GT Concept and the ubiquitous Inferno Van.

(individual Toy cars are 160, the bike is 240)

Burnout™ Paradise Boost Specials Collection 400pts

We know you all love Boost. These 2 brand new vehicles are perfect for all those players wanting more. Featuring both the Hawker Mech and the Carson Extreme Hot Rod, getting this collection will give you a great saving over purchasing these cars individually.

(or 240pts each)

Burnout™ Paradise Time Savers Pack 400pts

This is the ideal purchase for all those players that want all of the Burnout Paradise cars and bikes but don't quite have the time to win them all. Purchasing this pack will immediately unlock all the cars that you can get for free by playing Burnout Paradise all the way to completion. However, you'll still need to win the events to earn your Burnout Licenses. Now there's no excuse to not getting online and mixing it with all the other members of the Burnout Paradise community.

BeeDog said:
So wait, the Toy Cars are released today as well?
they are up on the US Live marketplace as well (108K unlocks)

edit: strange the PSN version and the BR versions DL's are a little bit different in size 133MB vs 137 MB

crispyben

Using the Legendary Cars pack ratio as a basis, this would give us (€=$ for Criterion Games):

Burnout™ Paradise Toy Collection (9 vehicles) / 1000pts -> €12

Burnout™ Paradise Toy Car Collection 1 (4 cars) / 480pts -> €6

Burnout™ Paradise Toy Car Collection 2 (4 cars) / 480pts -> €6

Individual Toy cars are 160pts -> €2, the Toy bike is 240pts -> €3

Burnout™ Paradise Boost Specials Collection / 400pts -> €5

Each Boost Special is 240pts -> €3 each

Burnout™ Paradise Time Savers Pack / 400pts -> €5

Oh boy.

Kryten said:
The Toy bike isn't in any of the collections. And I admit, I caved on the Toy Krieger WTR :) Go go update!
Yes it is. You scared me for a second.
Burnout™ Paradise Toy Collection 1000pts

This collection gets you all of the fantastic Burnout Paradise Toys in one pack. Hunter bring you the Cavalry, Manhattan, Citizen and Takedown 4x4. Carson wade in with the GT Concept and Inferno van, Jansen offer up the wonderful P12 and the Krieger WTR rounds off the cars. Last but not least, Nakamura have created a Toy version of the fantastic Firehawk bike. All of the fan favourites in Toy form at incredible value.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
WTF

I bought the stuff but the game can't see it or something? What gives :(

Top Bottom