• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Burai

shitonmychest57
AlphaTwo00 said:
Yes. On 360, the updates are cumulative. 1.7 contains all the rest before, and you can delete all the ones before it.

Sweet. Just deleted Cagney, 1.6 and the Bike pack and I've saved the best part of 2GB.

edgefusion

I went to hit "confirm purchase" for the legendary cars but I just couldn't do it. £6.30 for 4 cars for a game I've 101%ed just doesn't seem worth it, I can't justify the purchase in my head at all except "do want!".

edgefusion said:
I went to hit "confirm purchase" for the legendary cars but I just couldn't do it. £6.30 for 4 cars for a game I've 101%ed just doesn't seem worth it, I can't justify the purchase in my head at all except "do want!".

Do it as a "Thank you" gesture to Criterion for being freaking great.

Spy

edgefusion said:
Isn't the Paradise Island coming soon? That will bring you back to the game.

maybe it's just me, but I don't see the appeal of the toy cars. I wouldn't want to play them, let alone purchase them. Is it just that they're goofy looking? If that's the case, I'd much rather have like an ice cream truck, dude on a bicycle or segway...

Gryphter said:
maybe it's just me, but I don't see the appeal of the toy cars. I wouldn't want to play them, let alone purchase them. Is it just that they're goofy looking? If that's the case, I'd much rather have like an ice cream truck, dude on a bicycle or segway...
Handling is much different, and goofier.

The Skater said:
So the Toy Cars weren't supposed to go up today?
Only the Legendary Cars were. Unfortunately, it seems that MS slipped somewhere, and released it all, for maybe 15+ minutes. K****u seems to think that no one got it, but I beg to differ.:lol

I am super LTTP with this game but I had a question. I am thinking about picking it up and I have both a PS3 and 360 but I am not sure which system to pick it up for. I know the PS3 was the lead sku but my friends list on PSN is completely barren. I do most of my gaming on 360 with a chalk full friends list. How important is playing with friends in the game or is racing with random opponents just as fun?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Captain Blood said:
I am super LTTP with this game but I had a question. I am thinking about picking it up and I have both a PS3 and 360 but I am not sure which system to pick it up for. I know the PS3 was the lead sku but my friends list on PSN is completely barren. I do most of my gaming on 360 with a chalk full friends list. How important is playing with friends in the game or is racing with random opponents just as fun?

If you have friends that actually play the game, then get it for 360. Many of the challenges require actual cooperation, so friends would be ideal for those.

Captain Blood said:
Random people is good. But if you have a solid group that will stick around, that is way way way preferred over everything.

I read here that playing with a 360 controller is better than a DS3, but I don't know why. People said that they have to buy some sort of adapter for the DS3? I'm assuming that accelerate is R2 and that fingers tend to slip off of it.

Gryphter said:
I read here that playing with a 360 controller is better than a DS3, but I don't know why. People said that they have to buy some sort of adapter for the DS3? I'm assuming that accelerate is R2 and that fingers tend to slip off of it.

That's really all personal preference. I personally prefer the 360 controller, though I have friends who prefer the PS3 controller for driving games because they actually like how the DS3 triggers are a bit more like a gas pedal (I don't get how they see that but oh well).

Psychotext said:
These: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/195300.html

I couldn't handle using L2 / R2 for accelerate or brake without them.

I really want to get these but no place in Canada has them, and shipping the places that do carry them is too much for my tastes. I'm surprised this item hasn't taken off into at least EB Games and the like. Definitely something I'd love for shooters.

AlphaTwo00 said:
I'm online with the 360 right now. Everyone is shitting their pants seeing my Toy Takedown 4x4.

How awesome must that be... enjoy your 15 min of online fame man :) I would be online all the time just to get reactions.

So my one question.... do the toy cars go just as fast as the big boys?

bigGIRLSblouse said:
How awesome must that be... enjoy your 15 min of online fame man :) I would be online all the time just to get reactions.

So my one question.... do the toy cars go just as fast as the big boys?
Nope. It's fairly reduced. Speed is capped, out of all 9 cars, at around 4, IIRC. Boost fairs a bit better. However, Weight/Aggression is just as high, so the TakeDown 4X4 is still quite a heavy hitter. They do bounce around a lot more, and it's a joy to see both the inferno van and the takedown rock back and forth as you slam on the accelerator.

S1kkZ

i picked up the ultmate box (360) today and have a question: the game runs perfect 99% of the time, but sometimes the game stops for a very short time (under 1 second, more like a stutterer). it seems like the game is loading a new area or something. is this normal? in my 3 hours of playtime it happend 3 or 4 times. (played the game from the disc)

besides that, i love the game so far.

Returners

S1kkZ said:
i picked up the ultmate box (360) today and have a question: the game runs perfect 99% of the time, but sometimes the game stops for a very short time (under 1 second, more like a stutterer). it seems like the game is loading a new area or something. is this normal? in my 3 hours of playtime it happend 3 or 4 times. (played the game from the disc)

IIRC it is. Thought seems to me you're pretty sensitive to these kinds of things to even catch that.

I've never seen it stutter like that, only when loading the Burnout news page or whatever it is.

Here's an issue I have though, often times during my first 30 minutes of play, during a takedown as the controller vibrates, it'll disconnect on me as if the batteries died, but they're full. It only happens during a takedown, almost as if the game is simulating the driver's life ending as the car gets wrecked. It seems to go away after a bit, and all I have to do is press and hold the dashboard button and it'll turn right back on. I haven't bothered trying a different controller or different set of batteries because it doesn't bug me enough, but anybody else get this?

I'm on 360

MechDX

OK I rebought the 360 version of this game yesterday and downloaded the 1.6 patch. Went into some offline racing and I beat 3 races I just couldnt get passed when I stopped. 2 of them on the first try.

Did they make this game easier? I know about the restart option (about damn time!) but I cant believe after months of not playing I jump back in that easily.

S1kkZ

Returners said:
IIRC it is. Thought seems to me you're pretty sensitive to these kinds of things to even catch that.
i am not that sensitive but the game runs with 60 fps, which makes the freezes/hickups very noticable.

MechDX said:
OK I rebought the 360 version of this game yesterday and downloaded the 1.6 patch. Went into some offline racing and I beat 3 races I just couldnt get passed when I stopped. 2 of them on the first try.

Did they make this game easier? I know about the restart option (about damn time!) but I cant believe after months of not playing I jump back in that easily.
Burning routes, and the earlier races did get easier.

Pallaris

S1kkZ said:

This used to happen on the original pre-patched PS3 retail version too (sometimes longer than a brief stutter - literally freezing for a few seconds while it caught up - was quite hard to replicate though and wasn't exactly a regular occurrence but it used to annoy me especially during races). I seem to remember the 360 version having a few more issues with this (one of the patches a while back specifically mentioned improved streaming for the 360 version).

Thankfully i've had no such issues with the HDD version off the PSN after 14hrs play, which I re bought after trading the original ages ago. Not sure if its down to it being fully on the HDD, but i'm assuming they ironed this out with the updates they've done to the graphics - even the framerate seems smoother to me (i.e. drops frames far less frequently than before). It's almost completely 60fps now, whereas before it would sometimes, rarely in truth drop a bit during heavy pile ups.

shpankey

not an idiot
Gryphter said:
Well, as was said, it is a preference. But for me the Triggers on the 360 are just godly for use with gas and brake. Also, the controller is just overall more comfortable to grip, the DS3 can give me cramps after extended use. Lastly, the analog sticks being concave on 360 is a big deal to me. No slippage whatsoever. I also enjoy that the sticks themselves have a lot more resistance. Having said that, I can play fine with it on DS3, which is what I do since I have the game on PS3 (only b/c it is downloadable to the HDD, which is huge for me).

I bought the snap on triggers for the DS3 and it is MUCH MUCH better than default... even though I still don't like them as much as the 360's triggers, which are just sublime.

S1kkZ said:

I only get that if a friend is about to join my game or I am about to join a game. Sounds exactly like what you are describing . Perhaps you were in online freeburn.. even alone if someone is trying to get into your game it seems to do that.

Single player.. I have never seen that though. Try installing the game to your HDD..

edgefusion said:
Can anyone tell me how the Jansen 88 Special handles when it's in hover mode? Does it actually feel like its hovering?

mnn.. i'm driving it now.. seems like a floaty kiind of car
not really that different.. pretty cool thouugh.. when you leave the car floating and don't touch any button, it will land on its wheels again to go in pause mode..:p

it could be my imagination, but the car seems to go somewhat faster in hoover mode..

edgefusion said:
Can anyone tell me how the Jansen 88 Special handles when it's in hover mode? Does it actually feel like its hovering?
Handbrakeing/drifting is different when you are in hover mode, exactly like how you expect it to happen.

Just for the record:

I hate all of you 360/boooooostin'/toy car racing owners right now.

How quickly the favor of the Burnout gods reverses!

(I know it was a mistake, but still.)

:|

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
MechDX said:

I was thinking the same thing as well. Over last weekend I DLed the patch after not playing for a few months and I went all the way from around 70% completion to 100%. The stunt runs that had been frustrating me suddenly fell into place and I just romped through all of the remaining events. The only one I had to really retry was with the F1 car at the end, that was a bit hard, but easy compared to some other races. I guess the retry really takes the edge off, makes you drive like you don't care about dying, which is when the game really kicks in.

I love the new colours for the smashes and billboards though, they really were easier to find post patch.

I was slightly disappointed to see that there's a new patch out already though, I wasn't really planning on DLing another 850 megs worth.

And why the fuck is the 88 Special the most expensive new car?? Is it really because they knew it'd be most popular? If so that's a bit cynical really.

kaskade

There's a download in the PSN store to unlock all the cars for 5 bucks? That seems like it would take half the fun out of the game.

UraMallas

Gryphter said:
I've never seen it stutter like that, only when loading the Burnout news page or whatever it is.

Here's an issue I have though, often times during my first 30 minutes of play, during a takedown as the controller vibrates, it'll disconnect on me as if the batteries died, but they're full. It only happens during a takedown, almost as if the game is simulating the driver's life ending as the car gets wrecked. It seems to go away after a bit, and all I have to do is press and hold the dashboard button and it'll turn right back on. I haven't bothered trying a different controller or different set of batteries because it doesn't bug me enough, but anybody else get this?

I'm on 360
It sounds like the rumble in your controller is dislodging the battery pack. You may have to do something like tape the battery pack in a firm position.

Top Bottom