• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

crispyben

strange_booj said:
I'm still trying to get the Play a round of Road Rage on the blue team, one on the red team but can't find a room!!!
Why don't you host your own room? Wait a few minutes and somebody will join, keep them around with a few challenges, others will show up, and then start the Road Rage, then switch teams when you want (all that from the Easydrive menu).

crispyben

Yep! There have been "leaks" of new images too, from Big Surf Island and PCPD Pack. I'll post them tomorrow from work, but I can tell you that there are (at least) police versions of the Watson R-Turbo Roadster, Hunter Takedown 4x4, Carson Annihilator, Carson Fastback and Carson Inferno Van...

EDIT: here's a video in the meantime.

Baron

Looking forward to the slew of new content for the game. I'm actually playing right now - I've got 3 more events to complete for my Elite license, they are all stunt runs unfortunately. Stunt runs get harder than hell the more you complete and advance. The main trouble I am having now is actually finding places to jump and pull stunts in the remote locations my remaining stunt runs are located. They were much easier to do in the city - I should have done these first and saved the city stunt runs for last, but I didn't consider what would happen.

Almost got the Elite! I think I'll hang in there and finish it today.

crispyben

cjelly said:
I wonder how long all of this DLC has been ready for.

I mean, they showed the Island, what, 12 months ago?
The island they showed last year is not the one they'll release soon (May?). They said they scrapped it when it grew out of control, and started from scratch with new ambitions. Apparently it's still in testing/QA. As for the various vehicle packs, they may have been ready for a little while, but certification is a long process I believe.

crispyben

Baron said:
I've got 3 more events to complete for my Elite license, they are all stunt runs unfortunately. Stunt runs get harder than hell the more you complete and advance. The main trouble I am having now is actually finding places to jump and pull stunts in the remote locations my remaining stunt runs are located. They were much easier to do in the city - I should have done these first and saved the city stunt runs for last, but I didn't consider what would happen.
You can take your stunt run anywhere you feel comfortable, just drive slowly and boost lightly regularly until you're in the desired area. As long as you start a combo within the given time (by boosting for instance), you'll be OK. 500,000 points is really not a lot, you can rack that up in the Quarry if you remember to spin! I think jumps where you spin can be repeated if you change the direction of your spin...

big_z

Baron said:
Looking forward to the slew of new content for the game. I'm actually playing right now - I've got 3 more events to complete for my Elite license, they are all stunt runs unfortunately. Stunt runs get harder than hell the more you complete and advance. The main trouble I am having now is actually finding places to jump and pull stunts in the remote locations my remaining stunt runs are located. They were much easier to do in the city - I should have done these first and saved the city stunt runs for last, but I didn't consider what would happen.

Almost got the Elite! I think I'll hang in there and finish it today.

yeah the stunt runs suck. i got a ton of them left to do.

fake edit: the fuck i was watching burnout tv how do you stop a barrel roll when you want?

crispyben

big_z said:
how do you stop a barrel roll when you want?
Since V1.6, barrel rolls auto-right after one rotation if you go the right speed. To keep them going, push the left stick in the desired direction. When you want to stop, push the left stick in the other direction (or let it go maybe).

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
crispyben said:
Since V1.6, barrel rolls auto-right after one rotation if you go the right speed. To keep them going, push the left stick in the desired direction. When you want to stop, push the left stick in the other direction (or let it go maybe).

you don't have to hit square anymore? Or did you never have to do that?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Returners said:
barrel roll, not flat spins

oh I know, but I'm pretty sure I've been holding square in mid air for some reason, there's so many buttons, I just want to use them all I guess.

Baron

Well, I got my Elite license, and now the next step is the Criterion Elite license. I assumed the events would reset once I acquired the Elite level, and I've have to do them all again to get the Criterion Elite, but they didn't reset after all - apparently if you completed an event on the Elite level, it's done for the Criterion Elite license too, which is nice. What I can't figure out, is why I just haven't been awarded the Criterion Elite yet. I have done every event, discovered everything, and have done all Road Rules and all Showtimes, both online and off. What I haven't done is earned all the Paradise Awards - I have six left to get. I also am nowhere near close to completing all the online challenges. Do those have to be done for the Criterion Elite license? I am at a loss as to what to do here.

Mar

Baron said:
Well, I got my Elite license, and now the next step is the Criterion Elite license. I assumed the events would reset once I acquired the Elite level, and I've have to do them all again to get the Criterion Elite, but they didn't reset after all - apparently if you completed an event on the Elite level, it's done for the Criterion Elite license too, which is nice. What I can't figure out, is why I just haven't been awarded the Criterion Elite yet. I have done every event, discovered everything, and have done all Road Rules and all Showtimes, both online and off. What I haven't done is earned all the Paradise Awards - I have six left to get. I also am nowhere near close to completing all the online challenges. Do those have to be done for the Criterion Elite license? I am at a loss as to what to do here.

How to get: The description sums things up nicely. Get your Burnout Elite
license then do every Time and Showtime Road Rule for every road, find 120
billboards, 400 smashes, 50 superjumps, 35 drive thrus and 11 car parks. You
also need the Block Party achievement, which is why this is under online
achievements. Do all of this and you will have 100% completion and a platinum
paint finish for your cars.

Block Party - 35 points
Completed 2 whole sections of online Challenges (excluding PDLC)

Baron

Mar_ said:
(some stuff about achievements)

I should have clarified, I'm playing the PS3 version, no achievements here. However, I looked up the achievement you mentioned to get an idea about what might need to be done for the PS3 version.

It says:
Block Party
Complete 2 whole sections of online Challenges (excluding PDLC)

So maybe I need to accomplish some online challenges? Anyone know anything specific about getting the Criterion Elite on PS3? BTW, the gold finish on the cars you get with the Elite license is actually really cool. It's very singular, special looking, and definitely a nice way to show people online that you've accomplished a great deal in the game to get it.

Kryten said:
I will reiterate - Road Rage in Toy cars is the most stupid fun, ever.
Hahaha.

Sadly, that's the thing I don't think we'll see, specific modes where it limits and take advantage of DLC based things. The Party Pack doesn't see the special cars and use them, and I don't see any other events doing the same thing. Imagine a Road Rage, where it's "Special Cars" vs normal cars. Game server checks all 8 players, and force the ones with the DLC to be in the blue team, and have the red team chase them down.

Baron said:
So maybe I need to accomplish some online challenges? Anyone know anything specific about getting the Criterion Elite on PS3? BTW, the gold finish on the cars you get with the Elite license is actually really cool. It's very singular, special looking, and definitely a nice way to show people online that you've accomplished a great deal in the game to get it.
If it's Block Party you are missing, that means you need to complete 2 full sets. You know how online freeburn challenges are grouped in 50 (based on number of players). You need to complete two full sets of those. The easiest would be 2Player/3Player.

crispyben

Baron said:
You're confusing licenses and completion percentage, I think.

To get the last license, the Elite license (and gold paint), you need to complete all 120 events on the map, and they should have been reset after getting the Burnout license (except for the Burning routes). However, you're saying Elite and Criterion Elite are not the same, so you may be looking for something that doesn't exist!

The Paradise Awards will help you get 100%. If you complete two sets of car Freeburn challenges online (for instance all 2-player and 3-player challenges -the regular ones, not the timed ones- i.e. 100 challenges total), you'll get 101% (and platinum paint). If you complete all 420 car Freeburn challenges (untimed + timed), you'll get 102%. Bikes only go up to 101%, once you've completed all 70 Freeburn challenges online.

And as promised...

i54ow1.png
28v4ex.png

2z4ec84.png
35l4tvp.png

crispyben

MrTroubleMaker said:
^ I can't wait for the new Island :)
If they keep this pacing, March 19 should bring the Boost Specials, but after that all bets are off for the PCPD pack and Big Surf Island. One in April and one in May?

Twitter said:
W3xfOrd: For Q+A's "How far along in testing are you with the island". From what I saw last June on my visit, its going to be awesome
SargeSullivan: The island is nearing completion and will be released as soon as we can. It will be worth the wait, the Sarge is already a big fan.

Mar_ said:
The cop car liveries look amazing. I hope you can use them in regular play.
Yeah, I really like the British version on the Roadster :D

Twitter said:
Cognimetrixx: Can you give ANY details about the Cops and Robbers stuff?
SargeSullivan: I can tell you it's great fun and you can play as Cops OR Robbers. More info soon.

crispyben said:
If they keep this pacing, March 19 should bring the Boost Specials, but after that all bets are off for the PCPD pack and Big Surf Island. One in April and one in May?

I've been a little bit spoiled since I was able to DL the Boost specials and Toy cars when Live had them up by mistake. So it's going to be even longer of a wait for me for the "new" stuff :(

Baron

If anyone is interested in joining me, I'll be going online for some challenges in a couple hours on my PS3. I'll be sporting my new gold finish privilege afforded by my newly minted Elite license! :D

My PSN id is "indigentia". I'm always up for Burnout - I have a webcam and mic as well, so you can see me in my skivvies when you smash me down.

I may spend some time offline getting some of the last few Paradise Awards at some point, though. I need to get the 40x stunt run multiplier - that one is a pain to get. I always get close to it, in the 30s, then wind up crashing in some freak low-speed accident. I also need the 7x Burnout chain one - I have had trouble with this one. Can anyone recommend a good car and location to use for this?

Baron said:
I also need the 7x Burnout chain one - I have had trouble with this one. Can anyone recommend a good car and location to use for this?

Use an entry level speed car, start a stunt run, then boost against the traffic on I-88

http://burnout.wikia.com/wiki/I-88

you don't need to press the gas either, just press the boost button once your moving so it will be a little bit slower and easier to control

crispyben

Baron said:
If anyone is interested in joining me, I'll be going online for some challenges in a couple hours on my PS3. I'll be sporting my new gold finish privilege afforded by my newly minted Elite license! :D

My PSN id is "indigentia". I'm always up for Burnout - I have a webcam and mic as well, so you can see me in my skivvies when you smash me down.
Sure, why not? PSN is Grandben.

Baron said:
I may spend some time offline getting some of the last few Paradise Awards at some point, though. I need to get the 40x stunt run multiplier - that one is a pain to get. I always get close to it, in the 30s, then wind up crashing in some freak low-speed accident. I also need the 7x Burnout chain one - I have had trouble with this one. Can anyone recommend a good car and location to use for this?
For the 40x multiplier, pick a route and stick to it, barrel roll only when it's safe, flatspin as much as you can, boost regularly. For the 20x Burnout one (yep, 20, not 7), I cheated: I set up an online race with no traffic and lapped around the I-88 on the wrong side...

God damnit EA sometimes I hate you so much.

So, Criterion Games Network. Good, right? Wrong. I log in, and see my PS3 account. Then I realized that my 360 account is under a different name. So I can't

a) Group them together
or
b) Log into the 360 one because there is no logout.

Has anyone on the 360 got this to work?

crispyben

Here are the prices for the Toys pack, and I wasn't too far off in my predictions:

Criterion Games Network said:
Burnout Paradise Toy Collection
$12.99 / €12.99 / £9.99 / 1000 MS
This collection gets you ALL 9 Toy Vehicles. That's the 8 cars and the amazing Toy Nakamura Firehawk motorcycle. This represents the best possible value for you, and it's the only collection that has the Toy Firehawk. If you love the Toys as much as we do, then this is collection that you want!

Burnout Paradise Toys Collection 1
$5.99 / €5.99 / £4.99 / 480 MS
This smaller collection gets you Toy versions of the Hunter Cavalry, Hunter Manhattan, Krieger WTR and the Jansen P12.

Burnout Paradise Toy Collection 2
$5.99 / €5.99 / £4.99 / 480 MS
The counterpart for Toy Collection 1, this gets you the Toy Takedown 4x4, Inferno Van, GT Concept and Hunter Citizen.

Alternatively you can purchase each of the vehicles individually, although the collections listed are the best value available to you.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
EA are really making up for letting Criterion do a few rounds of free DLC.

I wouldn't even mind buying one single Toy vehicle, just to mess about in. But with a minimum of 480 points to get access to them... No.

I paid just over £20 for the Ultimate Box, I'm not paying a quarter of that for a few cars.

crispyben

cjelly said:
I wouldn't even mind buying one single Toy vehicle, just to mess about in. But with a minimum of 480 points to get access to them... No.
You can buy them individually, for 160 points each.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AlphaTwo00 said:
God damnit EA sometimes I hate you so much.

So, Criterion Games Network. Good, right? Wrong. I log in, and see my PS3 account. Then I realized that my 360 account is under a different name. So I can't

a) Group them together
or
b) Log into the 360 one because there is no logout.

Has anyone on the 360 got this to work?

Wait, you asking for Live and PSN accounts to magically merge in Burnout Paradise?

TTP said:
Wait, you asking for Live and PSN accounts to magically merge in Burnout Paradise?
Not quite. Their online "Criterion Games Network" allows you to see your stats, both PS3 and 360. In fact, you can even compare your stats to your friends, no matter the platform.

And you know they've been talking forever about how "202%" completion, and I hate the fact that I screwed up much much earlier, and now I have two accounts, and can't see both at the same time. :lol

STG said:
too expensive... sorry criterion
Since the pricing held true, it's safe to assume that the Boost Special will stay the same:

240/car
400/pack.

And You know the island will cost more.

crispyben

AlphaTwo00 said:
Not quite. Their online "Criterion Games Network" allows you to see your stats, both PS3 and 360. In fact, you can even compare your stats to your friends, no matter the platform.
How can you see friends from the other platform on there? I thought it was based on my PSN friends...

AlphaTwo00 said:
And you know they've been talking forever about how "202%" completion, and I hate the fact that I screwed up much much earlier, and now I have two accounts, and can't see both at the same time. :lol
Do you know of somebody who can?

crispyben said:
How can you see friends from the other platform on there? I thought it was based on my PSN friends...Do you know of somebody who can?
It's now linked for 360 also, there's even a section that allows you to compare stats between you and a friend across the platform.

No, but the interface seems to work, and I'm curious if anyone with both copies of the game doesn't have a screwed up EA Profile like I do, and see if they can see both games.

edgefusion

STG said:
too expensive... sorry criterion

Same. I dipped into some of the legendary cars because they were almost justifiable but for some mini versions of current cars which add nothing particularly new, just no way.

When I saw the the whole pack was £7.99 I nearly choked, that's absurd.

shpankey

not an idiot
If you're on PS3, I suggest trying to get into a share group. I'm in a group with 4 other gaff'ers that all chip in on our account and share the load, as it were... so the cost is 1/5th every-time. Makes it into a non-issue. See the PSN sharing thread if interested.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
How many Burning Rides and Midnight Rides are there total for the bikes? I have 13 of the former and 7 for the latter completed.

Splatt

Started playing the PC version a few days ago.

UGH! Menu control is crap. The game never explains how to control the menu nor how to restart the race. I mean, what the fuck is up with that shit? I had to resort to using the almighty google in order to figure all those things out. But who knows, maybe the game's menu control is actually pretty good and I'm just really dumb.

Anyway, beside that, the game itself is stupidly fun. The only Burnout I ever played was Revenge on PS2 and lack of sending traffic flying all over the place was dissapointing. It makes up for that by having no loading times (or extremely short ones that I conveniently forgot), retaining the takedown system and awesome slow-mo sequence when you crach your car full speed into a building or a wall or a bunch of cars.

The city looks beautiful and is a joy to ride through but, unfortunately, it's the source of many frustrations in a race. Because you can go anywhere, you can also take a wrong turn and end in Alaska instead of Mayami. Just imagine how much hair I have to clean up everyday because of this and how much broken keyboards are stuck in my closet.

I'm not very far into it (2 races left for B license) but I have a nice collection of cars. I managed to takedown all the wandering cars and now I have one that resembles a formula 1 model :D

I like BoP. It's a fun game to play when I have nothing else going on. 30 min. a day is the perfect play time for me.

Wizpig said:
People are telling me that Planes are coming, is this true?
Check for an exciting announcement on April 1.
What the hell? Is this from them again? That was the fun demo that they showed, but no one thinks it's really going to happen.

Top Bottom