• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

CraigMcD

Wizpig said:
I think i have 100% on "shops" [or drive thrus] but i haven't unlocked the Shopaholic achievement... are car parks you found listed in-game or not?
I don't think the achievement is glitched, guess i still have to find something...
As far as I know, the game only tells you your car park progress when you discover a new one. It displays by the mini map, so it's easy to miss. There are 11 to find in total.

wii_HD

Neo Member
big_z said:
just watched the video, looks awesome.

i wonder if they will do another expansion maybe add the massive part of land that was cut off on the bottom of the original map.

An Isle which contains the tracks from the previous BurnOut games would be cool, if only for the nostalga.

Would like to know if the Big Surf Island represents the end of Paradises development at least on console format.

Mar

Got my cops and robbers achievements last night. I'm back to having completed every single thing you can do in the game.

The cops and robbers mode is great fun too. I had a good time in every game I played. It's pretty tense. However, I've noticed I'm really shit at taking dudes down. It seemed I almost never took anyone down after grinding on them or whatever. Then someone just touches me and I fly off into a wall and explode. Weird.

The last achievement I got was in a game that a dude set up specifically for achievement whoring. I'm not really a fan of those. I'd rather just play the game. But anyway they started the first game and the other dude was meant to get the gold and everyone leave him alone. I rammed him, stole the gold and drove all the way back to my base and scored :lol . They started saying "does Mar have a mic?". I did, but I wasn't using it. Then after the next match began and it became clear they just wanted a dude to grab the gold and get his achievements, I quit out. Sounded pretty boring to me.

Can't wait until the island!

crispyben

I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears in the midst of the many E3 megatons and meltdowns, but we've gotten another look at Big Surf Island. Here's what's new:

* The demo player drives (very badly) a black-ish version of the Dust Storm he keeps calling the Dust Runner, maybe that's the Burning Route version?

* The Dust Storm's Burning Route is the southernmost event of the three similar ones, the one already checked. One of the two others being an Island Tour, what about the third one?

* One of the Race events is called Rocket Science and has 2 laps!!! The map shows no checkpoints, though the glimpse is fleeting...

* Three cars are unlocked for completing 50% and 100% of the Island License and the 500th Freeburn Challenge. Really?

* Hunter Olympus confirmed as available for offline play. And the Rai-Jin?

Mar

crispyben said:
* Three cars are unlocked for completing 50% and 100% of the Island License and the 500th Freeburn Challenge. Really?

About time they put in a reward for finishing all the challenges. This is awesome news.

crispyben

The mysterious Island Tours are revealed in the latest CGN post, and I can't wait!

Today I want to talk about Island Tours. An all new event type in Burnout Paradise specific to Big Surf Island.

The new Island Tours make the most of all the incredible off road routes around the Island. You are on your own, against the clock, in a checkpoint race off-road through shortcuts and mega jumps.

We included Checkpoint events to complete in Burnout Paradise on our Bike License to test your navigation skills around the roads of Paradise City. We have evolved these again for the Island, bringing another new experience.

To make sure the route off-road is clear we've added clear checkpoint markers into the world for drivers to aim for. No excuses for getting lost.

Have you got what it takes to drive at speed off road through the construction site?

By the way, I don't know what credibility Fudzilla holds, but they say they repeatedly heard that BSI will be $10...

Mar

crispyben said:
The mysterious Island Tours are revealed in the latest CGN post, and I can't wait!

By the way, I don't know what credibility Fudzilla holds, but they say they repeatedly heard that BSI will be $10...

Fudzilla? Never heard of them. But the name itself makes it sound like they just make shit up as they go along.

Not that I'm saying they're lying. Just saying... But yeah. $10? That seems criminally cheap.

crispyben

D+PAD Magazine has an interesting interview with lead producer 'Island' Pete Lake on the future of Burnout, here are a few select quotes:

Do you think that giving away so much content for free was a success, and do you think such a model is sustainable?

I believe it was a success. How many other games are people still playing and getting excited about a year and a half after their original release? Our numbers back this up too; we can see that when we released Bikes (our free content upgrade) last September, we had more people playing our game online than we did at launch.

Some critics may argue that some of this content - the pass-the-pad multiplayer incorporated into the Party Pack, for example - should have been included in the game originally, and that these regular updates, as well as the Ultimate Box rerelease, may suggest that Criterion weren’t happy with how Paradise was in its original state. Is that the case?

Absolutely not, the whole studio here at Criterion was incredibly happy with the original product we shipped. What you see over the next year is us continuing to develop the product live. Most of the ideas we have developed could not have been thought about until we had shipped the game and seen how people like to interact with it. Videogames are an interactive, live media which needs to react to its audience. We’ve had a great opportunity to do this with the DLC we have created. It has not been about ‘fixing’ the product but evolving it to entertain an ever changing audience.

You seem to be developing so much content for Paradise, extra modes, areas and continually refining its gameplay. Why not save it for a sequel?

Let me turn that around. Why would we develop a sequel to a game when we can keep the existing product and community alive by creating new content? We have a huge number of people playing our game, I would hate for us to ‘go dark’ for too long…

Discounting Revenge’s HD-makeover and taking into account the focus placed on delivering DLC, is Paradise the only Burnout this generation of consoles will likely see?

I wish I could tell you…

crispyben

In advance of CrashTV 34 (coming later today?), a post on the CGN reveals another two of the 9 'new' cars:

Hunter Olympus Governor

Island_Governor_01.png
Island_Governor_02.png
Island_Governor_03.png

Introducing the military spec - Hunter Olympus Governor - with its camoflage paint scheme and Stunt Boost system other players won't know what hit them!

This is Sarge Sullivan's very own modified Olympus, he has even personalised the number plate, but don't wory about scratching the paint as this vehicle is almost impossible to wreck.

Island_Governor_04.png
Island_Governor_05.png
Island_Governor_06.png

Carson Annihilator Street Rod

Island_Annihilator_01.png
Island_Annihilator_02.png
Island_Annihilator_03.png

With a Speed Boost system and a maxed out Boost speed there's a definite speed theme going on with the Carson Annihilator Street Rod.

Carson have yet again added their compulsory oversized engine to what was already a very mean machine. With their signature two wheel vehicular salute when boosting off the line, the Annihilator Street Rod will surely be tearing up the streets very soon.

Island_Annihilator_04.png
Island_Annihilator_05.png
Island_Annihilator_06.png

Only 6 days left!

BeeDog

Not too bad at all, certainly better than I feared it would be! Gonna grab this, you up for some Surf Island games crispyben?

A middle ground of my expectations. I expected it to be $15 at most while I wasn't sure of a $10 price for this. It would have been a ripoff at $20, but I still would have gotten it.

crispyben

BeeDog said:
Not too bad at all, certainly better than I feared it would be! Gonna grab this, you up for some Surf Island games crispyben?
Yep! :D I'm even taking a day off on Friday for this (that, and my wedding). Can't wait to earn this:

BigSurfIsland_License.png

The CGN also gets a makeover, and we will all compete for the title of Kings of the Roads...

1244197357-1island-stats.png

With this game mode the competition is endless. All your best Car and Bike Road Rule times are totalled up in a leaderboard where you measure yourself against your friends.

54-46!

I need some new, good music to go along with my Burnout racing, currently listening to alot of Ridge Racer (mostly Type 4) music - do you guys know any good tunes simliar to those soundtracks?

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
54-46! said:
I need some new, good music to go along with my Burnout racing, currently listening to alot of Ridge Racer (mostly Type 4) music - do you guys know any good tunes simliar to those soundtracks?

It requires a taste for cheesy euro dance but Initial D soundtrack should do the job just fine. I'd recommend the Initial D : Battle Stage soundtrack.

Big Surf will be mine! I might get the Cops and Robbers pack too but I'll read about it first to know if it's worth my moneyz.

Agent X

crispyben said:
Seems like I should have pushed my snooping further than the above images, as some enterprising Operation Burnout poster managed to pull future CGN posts, including the one where they reveal the price for Big Surf Island:

XBL 1000 points
PSN $12.99 / €12.99 / £9.99

Discuss!

That's a good deal, considering all of the content this pack includes. I was expecting $15-$20, and hoping for the lower end of that range.

I haven't bought any of the other paid add-ons yet, but since this is coming in cheaper than I thought, I might go ahead and spring for one of the car packs.

1000 Allards. Sold, like it wasn't sold before... :lol

What's more interesting:

Trophies:
Drive through 20 Island Smash Gates
Smash 15 Island Billboards
Land 5 Island Mega-Jumps
Jump through Deese's Donut
4.5 seconds of Crash TV Air Time
Complete a 750 yard drift inside the Inspiral Car Park
Complete your first Island Tour
Find all Island Events
Complete all 10 Island Freeburn Challenges
Smash all 45 Island Billboards

Achievements:
Smash n' Grab - Drive through 20 Island Smash Gates
Surf Boards - Smash 15 Island Billboards
Island Explorer - Find all 15 Island Events
Crash TV Air Time - Get at least 4.5 seconds Air Time from the Ski Jump
People Person - Complete all 10 Island Freeburn Challenges. These can be completed by 2 - 8 players

Bringing the total of achievements to the previous maximum of 1250. Enjoy it while it lasts, I have a feeling this is end of the road for DLC.

Raife

Did they ever release any more the the guides to the burroughs like they did for Palm Bay Heights? Looking over the CrashTV descriptions in iTunes, it doesn't seem like they did. Were they released elsewhere or did they tuck them into various other episodes by any chance?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
1000 Points? Awesome!

I just got the game not that long ago, so I need to play a lot more of the game before I think about getting Big Surf Island. Looking like I definitely will though.

rc213

54-46! said:

I love playing Paradise while listening to Oldschool Techno (early 90's stuff) and Drum N Bass.

$12.99 SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crispyben

AlphaTwo00 said:
Bringing the total of achievements to the previous maximum of 1250. Enjoy it while it lasts, I have a feeling this is end of the road for DLC.
They certainly didn't close that door, and I remember reading that with each new full year after release, developpers could add GS points to their games... Don't recall the figure though. I love how they blow their own horn on Trophies:
With 98 Trophies Burnout Pardise has more Trophies than any other game available on the PS3 - in fact the closest any other game comes is 66 Trophies, that's 32 less!

Raife said:
Did they ever release any more the the guides to the burroughs like they did for Palm Bay Heights? Looking over the CrashTV descriptions in iTunes, it doesn't seem like they did. Were they released elsewhere or did they tuck them into various other episodes by any chance?
No they didn't, and that's a shame because I thought it was a good idea to have them in the lead-up to BSI... Now, who knows if CrashTV will continue?

Returners said:
Oh I love the redesign (mainly because I love Orange) Can you change the colour of the theme anyways?
No, I don't think so.

DuckRacer said:
Does the Island dlc come with the 9 "new" cars?
Yes :D

Tailzo

I bought Burnout Paradise: The ultimate Box (euro disk release) late last week. I had played the demo of Burnout Paradise before, it still took me a long time before I decided to buy it. It was not a mistake!

Favourite moments
Driving on an insane jump in the middle of a race, landing on the railroad, jumping from the railroad to the road again and winning in first place by a tiny margin.

Different than I thought
Riding bikes are a whole lot better than in any other games I've ever played. I mean, I don't crash as soon as I try to turn the bike.

Upgrading my drivers lisence is a great way to make me want to win more and more. It's like grinding in a rpg games, only being fun all the way.

The new crash mode, or whatever it is called, is a lot cooler when you've actually tried it a couple of times.

All in all Burnout is beautiful, addicting and crazy fun!

crispyben

Tailzo said:
I bought Burnout Paradise: The ultimate Box (euro disk release) late last week. I had played the demo of Burnout Paradise before, it still took me a long time before I decided to buy it. It was not a mistake!

*snip*

All in all Burnout is beautiful, addicting and crazy fun!
Reading such a post 16 months after the game was first released is a testament to its staying power, I wonder how Criterion will be able to follow up on such a game...

Tailzo, you did not mention online Freeburn, I guess you haven't tackled the challenges yet, but they're great fun too, provided you complete them with the right people :D

Tailzo

^
Yeah, I regret not supporting citerion earlier. One great thing about forums though; when you see a thread for such an "old" game still poping up, you don't forget it!

I've tried to play online, and I've found it quite fun. But sometimes I just drive around, waiting for someone to start something, and I am not really sure what to do. I do have the ps eye, and I really like ( and laugh at) photos being taken when I do takedowns :) Also, when I race, my fiancé is my navigator, as I have a hard time knowign where to drive in the races.

It's also a good laugh to see my face on my drivers license.

crispyben

Tailzo said:
Yeah, I regret not supporting citerion earlier. One great thing about forums though; when you see a thread for such an "old" game still poping up, you don't forget it!
It's one of the reasons I like to bump this thread, though I always do it with (hopefully) somewhat interesting content.

Tailzo said:
I've tried to play online, and I've found it quite fun. But sometimes I just drive around, waiting for someone to start something, and I am not really sure what to do. I do have the ps eye, and I really like ( and laugh at) photos being taken when I do takedowns :) Also, when I race, my fiancé is my navigator, as I have a hard time knowign where to drive in the races. It's also a good laugh to see my face on my drivers license.
While online, you're very dependent on what the room's host does, which is my I hosted most of the rooms I did my 490 challenges in... That was back in October, I don't know what it would be like now to try and get an 8-player room going, but surely you'll find helpful people here on GAF who can give it a go with you, including me.

Basically, there are the online Freeburn Games (Stunt Run, Marked Man, Road Rage, Cops and Robbers) and the online Freeburn Challenges, all of which are intiated by the host. You need to be at least two people in the room to find these options in the EasyDrive menu.

Here are how the challenges are split. There are 420 Car Challenges: 10 Timed Challenges and 50 Normal Challenges, for 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 players. There are also 70 Bike Challenges:5 Timed Challenges and 5 Normal Challenges, for 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 players. Good luck! :D

Tailzo

^Awesome, thanks for describing this. I suspected I had to wait for the host to do soemthing, since it didn't seem like I could start events myself.

How many here are from Europe? I'm guessing I should play with people from europe, if the time of day has to match... Thanks again for being very helpful. :)

Ashour

crispyben said:
Seems like I should have pushed my snooping further than the above images, as some enterprising Operation Burnout poster managed to pull future CGN posts, including the one where they reveal the price for Big Surf Island:

XBL 1000 points
PSN $12.99 / €12.99 / £9.99

Discuss!

I find the price to be fair, it actually makes all the old DLC look expensive.

I really can't wait for Thursday, the only downside is the Iron Maiden pack is coming out that same day for Rock Band, it will be one busy Friday for me :D .

alex1893 said:
12.99? perfect, sold. :D I expected they would charge at least 15.
Yeah, I was looking for an excuse to pass on this one after being screwed on the shitty Party pack, but I´ll find it hard to do that at 12.99.

Maybe Criterion feel they have to make up for their recent dlc rape policy?

crispyben

CrashTV 34 came out with little fanfare, so check out part 2 of their BSI preview!

* Winning the Dust Storm's Burning Route (a checkpoint race with MC:LA-type vertical markers) nets you the Dust Storm Superturbo (the black model we've seen), which has 4 Spped, 6 Boost and 4 Strength...

* The Hunter Olympus Governor has 6 Speed, 7 Boost and 10 Strength!

* Race Events now have checkpoints and laps, as demonstrated with the Carson Annihilator Street Rod (reward for full Island License), which wheelies at low speeds like the Extreme Hot Rod :p

* The other cars were kept under wraps.

* One of the Stunt Runs has a 1,440,000 points objective, nice!

* The Island Tours (one of them called Tour of Duty) are there to show you the main locations and shortcuts. They also rely on checkpoints (this one has 8), and they are timed (1'35" here).

* They show fog on the Island.

* They keep cutting before they enter the tunnel, I wonder if there's really something in there...

* New Day and Night Road Rules for bikes.

* The Island Stats thumbnail on the CGN seems to show a new car.

* They tease a reward for completing all 500 Freeburn Challenges, and all 10 Island Challenges will be doable with 2 to 8 players, even if somebody drops out.

As someone who loves Burnout 3 but didn't really like Burnout... Revenge or whatever the fourth one was called, would you guys recommend this game, or waiting on Split Second? keep in mind that i have a very small budget for videogames these days.

Mar

Mike Works said:
As someone who loves Burnout 3 but didn't really like Burnout... Revenge or whatever the fourth one was called, would you guys recommend this game, or waiting on Split Second? keep in mind that i have a very small budget for videogames these days.

The old school Burnout fans seemed to revolt at Paradise. Until they played more than just the demo and realised it's an awesome game in its own right. But I think that's the thing to keep in mind. It's not the Burnout you're used to.

It's much better

Mike Works said:
Paradise takes a little from 3, and a little from Revenge, but adds in a lot of something different.

Split Second, I really don't know why everyone keep son thinking it's the "real sequel" to 3/Revenge, and I'm willing to bet that that camp will come away very disappointed when they finally realize that it's going to be different than what they wanted (which is 3/Revenge) in HD.

Note to 360 owners, remember: DELETE YOUR v1.8 DATA WEDNESDAY NIGHT, IT WILL SAVE TIME AND HEADACHE!

karasu

Ihope the patch does something aout these obnoxious menus, notifications, and start screens. Fuck taking me automatically to a webpage. And fuck that Guns n Roses song too.

crispyben

karasu said:
Ihope the patch does something aout these obnoxious menus, notifications, and start screens. Fuck taking me automatically to a webpage. And fuck that Guns n Roses song too.
They've already shown you can select 'Big Surf Island' at the Menu screen, and they've added a BSI-dedicated thumbnail to the CGN page, so no dice... though I can see them replacing the original "Paradise City" with a ukulele version :lol

Willeth

crispyben said:
They've already shown you can select 'Big Surf Island' at the Menu screen, and they've added a BSI-dedicated thumbnail to the CGN page, so no dice... though I can see them replacing the original "Paradise City" with a ukulele version :lol
Not sure why they've bothered adding a lot of those, to be honest. It really works against their open-world ethos. If they want to separate the cars into categories, have up/down on the stick change categories while in the junkyard, rather than going through a menu. Hell, make the cop versions of the car another skin along with platinum and so forth.

As for the island, if I've downloaded it, just let me go there. I don't want to choose a menu option, I'll just spawn in the city and drive over the bridge. That's actually fine. The one thing that irks me about the changes to Paradise is how long I have to wait before playing the game - they've just added menu after menu.

crispyben

Willeth said:
Not sure why they've bothered adding a lot of those, to be honest. It really works against their open-world ethos. If they want to separate the cars into categories, have up/down on the stick change categories while in the junkyard, rather than going through a menu. Hell, make the cop versions of the car another skin along with platinum and so forth.

As for the island, if I've downloaded it, just let me go there. I don't want to choose a menu option, I'll just spawn in the city and drive over the bridge. That's actually fine. The one thing that irks me about the changes to Paradise is how long I have to wait before playing the game - they've just added menu after menu.
The first part of your post is interesting, but that would be just as unwieldy in the end, though you would get to the game faster.

As for the second part, I'll repost my theory: if you choose 'Enter Paradise City', the bridge remains closed, as it will for those who don't buy the Island. If you choose 'Big Surf Island', you can go into and out of BSI from Paradise City. But this choice will decide who you can play online with... To sum it up:

Select "Enter Paradise City" > you can play with everyone, but cannot go on BSI
Select "Big Surf Island" > you can play with those who selected it, anywhere in Paradise City and on BSI

Top Bottom