• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

dk_

crispyben said:
XBL 1000 points
PSN $12.99 / €12.99 / £9.99

Discuss!
2wqhm5e.gif

Willeth

crispyben said:
The first part of your post is interesting, but that would be just as unwieldy in the end, though you would get to the game faster.

As for the second part, I'll repost my theory: if you choose 'Enter Paradise City', the bridge remains closed, as it will for those who don't buy the Island. If you choose 'Big Surf Island', you can go into and out of BSI from Paradise City. But this choice will decide who you can play online with... To sum it up:

Select "Enter Paradise City" > you can play with everyone, but cannot go on BSI
Select "Big Surf Island" > you can play with those who selected it, anywhere in Paradise City and on BSI
Yeah, I'm trying to integrate what they have right now into something that would let me just jump in. The game remembers the last car I used. In the majority of cases, that's my favourite car. So why do I need to go through and select it again? Select it by default and dump me in the junkyard, and I can change if I want. Maybe auto-skip to a car I bought if it's the first time I went in since buying it.

As to the second point - why can't I just play with everyone? If I have Cops and Robbers I can still play in games with people who don't. All players will have the data for the island, they just won't be able to access it if they haven't bought it. Just have a drive-through-style gate at the bridge that will let you through if you've bought the content but wrecks you if you haven't. Hell, that would probably even be a more powerful way to entice people to buy it than a menu option.

crispyben

Willeth said:
As to the second point - why can't I just play with everyone? If I have Cops and Robbers I can still play in games with people who don't. All players will have the data for the island, they just won't be able to access it if they haven't bought it. Just have a drive-through-style gate at the bridge that will let you through if you've bought the content but wrecks you if you haven't. Hell, that would probably even be a more powerful way to entice people to buy it than a menu option.
I guess there's a technical reason for this, surely server-side and maybe because of how the game could (not?) handle such a barrier... It would also make all Freeburn activities more complicated, as it would ruin Marked Man and Road Rage, and disbalance Stunt Runs, not to mention the issue of the BSI Challenges. Cops and Robbers has a few flaws in this regard (being taken down by somebody who does not play is a bummer), but none as big as those in my opinion.

It seems Criterion will rely on the new cars and the BSI badge to promote it online. True, everyone playing online will have BSI data on their hard drives with V1.9, but it doesn't look like they will follow in the steps of MC:LA and the South Central expansion DLC.

Willeth

crispyben said:
It would also make all Freeburn activities more complicated, as it would ruin Marked Man and Road Rage, and disbalance Stunt Runs, not to mention the issue of the BSI Challenges.
I hadn't thought of that, but it's easy enough to solve. Choose whether you want to use the whole map or just the original island when setting up an event. If you use the whole map, the ones who haven't bought it can't compete, but can still interact in a similar fashion to Cops and Robbers (which I actually like as a mechanic).

crispyben

Willeth said:
I hadn't thought of that, but it's easy enough to solve. Choose whether you want to use the whole map or just the original island when setting up an event. If you use the whole map, the ones who haven't bought it can't compete, but can still interact in a similar fashion to Cops and Robbers (which I actually like as a mechanic).
That's one more menu, there's no satisfying solution it seems... I'd have to kick out all non-BSI-enabled players in order to do 8-player BSI challenges?!? To me, their choice gives us the best of both worlds, but I think we won't agree on this :D

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
How's the Cops and Robbers DLC pack? I read from one place that it's a lot of fun and they said they highly recommend it, what's the general consensus on it? I might feel the need to buy Big Surf Island and Cops and Robbers tomorrow. :D

Chris R

Going to love the Island, just wish I could get the last trophy for my Platinum before it releases though :<

Also wish they would patch the game to only include the trophies for the DLC you have purchased. I'm sitting at 49% done for the game, but like I said, 1 trophy away from a platinum.

Mar

Adam Prime said:
How's the Cops and Robbers DLC pack? I read from one place that it's a lot of fun and they said they highly recommend it, what's the general consensus on it? I might feel the need to buy Big Surf Island and Cops and Robbers tomorrow. :D

Cops and Robbers is awesome fun. It's exhilarating capturing the gold.

crispyben

Adam Prime said:
As Mar_ said, it's fun... for a while, at least for me. I don't feel the need to play it anymore, maybe because I have a lot on my hands IRL, but I enjoyed playing whan I did, even though I am really shit at takedowns, it appears :D

rhfb said:
Going to love the Island, just wish I could get the last trophy for my Platinum before it releases though :<

Also wish they would patch the game to only include the trophies for the DLC you have purchased. I'm sitting at 49% done for the game, but like I said, 1 trophy away from a platinum.
Let me guess, you're missing the Mugshot Trophy? Having the Trophies displayed like that is a Sony thing I think, and it promotes DLC... What's a percentage to you?
I wanna remain at 100% on Burnout Paradise :p

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
crispyben said:
Let me guess, you're missing the Mugshot Trophy? Having the Trophies displayed like that is a Sony thing I think, and it promotes DLC... What's a percentage to you?

I went to GameStop and purchased a $3 used PlayStation 2 Eyecam thing. I actually use it now because it also serves a a microphone for me.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Adam Prime said:
I went to GameStop and purchased a $3 used PlayStation 2 Eyecam thing. I actually use it now because it also serves a a microphone for me.

are you missing the 8 player meet up in wildcats stadium? That's all I'm missing.

Willeth said:
... The one thing that irks me about the changes to Paradise is how long I have to wait before playing the game - they've just added menu after menu.

Having just bought paradise city, this certainly is irritating.

"This icon means im loading" (got it the first time, stop bugging me! "X")
"Do you want to go online?" (No, since this means it will load the browser - why does it ignore my ticking the "auto sign in" ? "X")
"Big title screen with inserted delay" (Just let me play already - I bought the game I know the title... "Start")
"Menu with stupid options" (Let me decide if I want to start a party in the game, I can access the store ingame which makes it's placement on the menu redundant "X on "enter paradise city"")
"Select car menu with inserted delays" (Just give me whatever car I was riding last time, and give me the choice to change if I want to! "X" "X" "X" "X")

This could all be reduced to:
"Loading" (Accepted, has to be done)
"Paradise city appears on screen with my car ready and automatically signed in" (Thank you)

EDIT: That came out a bit negative - I'm having a blast with the game, currently halfway through my A License. I'm not sure the open world concept is the perfect setting for burnout, but it is certainly nice to just roam around the city :)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
AlphaTwo00 said:
Why is that one always the one people are missing.

I never aggressively pursued it while playing online, figured it would just come eventually, guess I'm just unlucky.

Captain Knutsman said:

"Do you want to go online?" (No, since this means it will load the browser - why does it ignore my ticking the "auto sign in" ? "X")
"Big title screen with inserted delay" (Just let me play already - I bought the game I know the title... "Start")
"Menu with stupid options" (Let me decide if I want to start a party in the game, I can access the store ingame which makes it's placement on the menu redundant "X on "enter paradise city"")
"Select car menu with inserted delays" (Just give me whatever car I was riding last time, and give me the choice to change if I want to! "X" "X" "X" "X")

"Paradise city appears on screen with my car ready and automatically signed in" (Thank you)
It was like that before all the paid DLC stuff.

crispyben

AlphaTwo00 said:
It was like that before all the paid DLC stuff.
There was no screen to choose between 'Enter Paradise City', 'Start a Party' and 'Burnout Store', though. But I think somebody timed both versions and it was pretty close...

Do we have any clues of what's coming up for Paradise after Big Surf Island ?

We had no annoucement from Criterion at E3 and now that Big Surf Island is just around the corner, it's time to look out for the future.

Willeth

Adam Prime said:
Wait, the PS2 camera also had a mic built in? I thought it was only the Eye.

EDIT: Really annoyed I have to wait until Sunday to pick this up. I have a decent shot at being one of the first to get all 500 challenges, but in four days that'll be gone completely.

crispyben said:
There was no screen to choose between 'Enter Paradise City', 'Start a Party' and 'Burnout Store', though. But I think somebody timed both versions and it was pretty close...
What I meant was, it was like what he described as "the ideal" version before the patches.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Captain Knutsman said:

EDIT: That came out a bit negative - I'm having a blast with the game, currently halfway through my A License. I'm not sure the open world concept is the perfect setting for burnout, but it is certainly nice to just roam around the city :)

No fking joke. I HATE how long it takes to get into the game...

http://kotaku.com/5285730/ea-burnout-devs-making-revolutionary-need-for-speed

During my interview with EA CEO John Riccitiello last week at E3, I asked if EA's two big racing brands, Need for Speed and Burnout, would be merging into one.

No, Riccitiello said, but the Burnout team at EA's Criterion Games, led by Alex Ward, are making the next Need for Speed.
"Alex is one of the people in the industry I would analogize to the great filmmakers, etc.," Riccitiello said. "He is a true creative visionary. We had a great fight about what the next Need For Speed would be like. Of course, he gets to win because it's his call. It's not that I'm without an opinion on it."

Well, just impulse bought* this game yesterday, had fun playing it for an hour last night. Still a lot I need to learn, don't know what the hell I'm doing half the time. Favorite aspect is easily having a rival car tear past you and then having to hunt him down and crashing him to obtain that car. Such a smart feature.

I'm going to be playing this game a lot over the next 10 days before I leave on my trip, so if any PS3 users in this thread are playing it a lot too, add me over PSN: mikeworks

*and then proceeded to wait a friggin day to download it and install everything :lol

XTERC

The only original Trophy I am missing the 8-player meetup too. If you guys are arranging a meet-up please let me know and invite me.

PSN:XTERC

Mike Works said:
Well, just impulse bought* this game yesterday, had fun playing it for an hour last night. Still a lot I need to learn, don't know what the hell I'm doing half the time. Favorite aspect is easily having a rival car tear past you and then having to hunt him down and crashing him to obtain that car. Such a smart feature.

I'm going to be playing this game a lot over the next 10 days before I leave on my trip, so if any PS3 users in this thread are playing it a lot too, add me over PSN: mikeworks

*and then proceeded to wait a friggin day to download it and install everything :lol
Tomorrow will bring more install! :lol

Chris R

crispyben said:
Ya I'm missing the mugshot trophy. Haven't been to gamestop to see if they have a used eyetoy (doubt they do). I guess I was also missing the bike stuff, but I did most of those last night, trying to finish them up today before the DLC tomorrow :D

Mike Works said:

Yeah, I'm opting to re-purchase burnout via PSN myself. Looking forward to, I'll probably be on later tonight playing.. it's been a while.

crispyben

AlphaTwo00 said:
This is intriguing, and the way he phrases things leaves the door open for ongoing Burnout Paradise DLC:

"We don't have a plan right now for a separate major launch on Burnout, because the team doing it is working on a revolutionary take on Need for Speed."

Also, it seems the remaining new cars have been revealed:
a P12 with a diamond on the hood (?!?) (4), and the four Legendary cars as Toys (5, 6, 7, 8)...

Mar

AlphaTwo00 said:
Why is that one always the one people are missing.

Seriously.

This would have to be one of the easiest things to do in the game. Stick around for a while and eventually you HAVE to get a challenge where everyone ends up at the baseball stadium. There are billions of them.

Are you guys just popping into a game then popping out 10 minutes later or something?

Mar

crispyben said:
This is intriguing, and the way he phrases things leaves the door open for ongoing Burnout Paradise DLC:

Also, it seems the remaining new cars have been revealed:
a P12 with a diamond on the hood (?!?) (4), and the four Legendary cars as Toys (5, 6, 7, 8)...

Hmm... Any idea on which one is the 500 challenges one? I'm really looking forward to driving that around. It is the hardest thing to do in the game after all.

As for Criterion doing NFS. I think that's a shame. NFS hasn't been interesting for me for more than a decade. The last one I liked was NFS 2, which seems like 100 years ago.

Unless Criterion can do something good with the franchise...

Chris R

I got the wildcat stadium one because people in one online game I did needed it so we all just did it. I hate a majority of the online challenges though, because they aren't a challenge of my skill, they are a challenge of others skills to not fuck things up for me.

Mar_ said:
This. A thousand times, this.

And bring back Rob Hubbard to do the soundtrack.
I really have a feeling that the Bike pack was entirely a "trial run" for both EA and Criterion to see how Road Rash would work if it was attempted for Next Gen.

Either way. I'm setting my alarm clock for 6 tomorrow (7 hours from now), and hopefully the content will be up on the 360 store, just like the other times.

crispyben

Getting across Paradise Keys Bridge will cost you $6 for cars and $8 for trucks at the toll... If you drive up to it, it brings up a window asking you if you want to purchase BSI. If you say yes, it takes you to the store, if you say no, you get respawned at Angus and 4th.

crispyben said:
Getting across Paradise Keys Bridge will cost you $6 for cars and $8 for trucks at the toll... If you drive up to it, it brings up a window asking you if you want to purchase BSI. If you say yes, it takes you to the store, if you say no, you get respawned at Angus and 4th.
:lol that's cool

No45

crispyben said:
Which version is that?

No45

crispyben said:
V1.90 without BSI installed or available. Why?

You can also check the Island Challenges now...
Just curious as to whether the whole thing was available for purchase yet on the PSN, but I guess not.

Top Bottom