• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

IJoel said:
Alright, I've put more time into the game and I do like it much more. That said, I'd love for Criterion to patch the game to at least make it an option to show a BIG ARROW flashing in the middle of the screen for an instant whenever I should make a turn. It's been really aggravating to lose a race, not because of racing, but because of directions.
I was racing with headphones on so I could hear the chiming of the turn signal pretty well. Shocked me the first time it happened because I didn't know what was going on.
rSpooky said:
EDIT: I am glad I can turn most of DJ atomic'a babbling of byt turning of tips in the options menu.y
this is important and very useful. I was happy to not have to listen to him as much as I did in the demo.

Ronin

Scooped up the PS3 version today. Would like to play online with some of you clowns.

Add me.

PSN - RoninRevolver

C4Lukins

With Showtime mode is there any benefit or goal involved in it? I tried it out a couple of times and it just totaled a score for me in the end and I was just curios if there was some sort of end goal or cars to be unlocked in the mode.

Slaylock

Gary Whitta said:
The rumble in this game is awesome. I love the hit you get when a car drops in the junk yard. Would hate to be playing this with the Sixaxis.
I ordered a DS3 from an eBay seller on Friday, in large part for this game. I'm looking forward to the rumble.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Gary Whitta said:
The rumble in this game is awesome. I love the hit you get when a car drops in the junk yard. Would hate to be playing this with the Sixaxis.
Dual Shock 3 will thankfully rectify this. Mine comes tomorrow or Friday. :D

Gowans

I cant wait to picking this up on Friday, my driving tunes are already playlisted up (same as in my car) Battery & Whiplash (Metallica) = Full Speed, everyone taken down.

Expect this to do really well over here, emost guys on my friends list are gagging!!"

One cool feature I just noticed is that in surround sound the game will send the car's turn signal sound to the appropriate left or right satellite speaker, so you can identify which way you have to turn by sound alone.

j-wood

Help me GAF, I am in a bind. I can buy Burnout paradise now, and get DMC4 at some other time, or vice versa (by DMC4 I mean in a couple of weeks).

What do I do?!?!?!

Grecco

j-wood said:
Help me GAF, I am in a bind. I can buy Burnout paradise now, and get DMC4 at some other time, or vice versa (by DMC4 I mean in a couple of weeks).

What do I do?!?!?!

Play both demos and decide for yourself? :lol

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Gary Whitta said:
One cool feature I just noticed is that in surround sound the game will send the car's turn signal sound to the appropriate left or right satellite speaker, so you can identify which way you have to turn by sound alone.
Yes. And when you are doing challenges online that invlove one person jumping over others, you can hear your compadre whistle overhead as he attempts the jump and hear the distant thud in the rear channels as the message pops up on screen that your compadre has wrecked.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
Gary Whitta said:

I would hate to have to play with their shit ass music. Thank goodness for custom soundtracks.

This game truly is all kinds of awesome. Can't wait to get in more time tonight.

The surround-sound turn signal thing is nice but I think even better would have simply to steal a trick from The Getaway and have the car's actual turn signal flash prior to a turn. That way I can anticipate a turn at high speed without taking my eye off the road.

j-wood

I think I'll pick up paradise, and finish beating assassin's creed. Then trade AC in, and get 30 bucks towards DMC4, because I really don't see myself playing through AC again...

Aladuf

Banned
Gary Whitta said:

:( I'm playing with the Sixaxis...maybe I should look into getting a DS3?

Also, I'm finally starting to figure out where things are in the game! At first I was getting pretty lost because the world is just massive! This game is hella-fun and I'm ready to meet up with some GAFfers when a few of us are online at the same time.

Gary Whitta said:
The surround-sound turn signal thing is nice but I think even better would have simply to steal a trick from The Getaway and have the car's actual turn signal flash prior to a turn. That way I can anticipate a turn at high speed without taking my eye off the road.

I'm pretty sure it does, but it's just not easy to see.

C4Lukins said:
With Showtime mode is there any benefit or goal involved in it? I tried it out a couple of times and it just totaled a score for me in the end and I was just curios if there was some sort of end goal or cars to be unlocked in the mode.

Each road (64 total) has a goal that you have to eclipse. To see the goal, press up on your d-pad when you are on the road. They're usually in the 500,000-1 million range, and once you beat the total, the street sign turns from red to silver.

this is the headset I got:

33kvdsl.jpg

will it work in this game? I bought it because of the open-ear design and it says it's PS3 compatible. Thanks.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Gary Whitta said:

It does if the rear end of your car isn't trashed---and had turn signal indicators in the first place.

besada

Banned
Played a couple of hours last night. The sense of speed is wonderful (particularly on the hood camera setting). I didn't have much problem getting around, and discovered that I love the Marked Man races. There are only eight ending points, so getting where you're going is mostly just staying headed in a single direction.

So far, I'm glad I bought it and I haven't even taken it online yet.

besada

Banned
bune duggy said:
this is the headset I got:

33kvdsl.jpg

will it work in this game? I bought it because of the open-ear design and it says it's PS3 compatible. Thanks.
If I could find a bluetooth version of this, I'd be ecstatic. I love the form factor, but I've been unable to find anything like it in a bluetooth.

Anyone else notice (360 version) that there isn't a driver in the car? It threw me for a loop when I first saw it.

I love the big map but some of the more remote locales (I'm thinking the Wind Farm, etc.) don't have much going on around them so after ending a challenge there, I find myself wasting time driving back to civilization.

I really like having to take down a car to add it to the collection.

Slaylock

Union Carbine said:
Anyone else notice (360 version) that there isn't a driver in the car? It threw me for a loop when I first saw it.
The developers have said that it would be disturbing to see a body getting crushed as you wrap your car around a telephone pole.

Xun

Union Carbine said:
Neither version has a driver in the car.

It makes sense if you think about it though.

bluheim

Banned
besada said:
If I could find a bluetooth version of this, I'd be ecstatic. I love the form factor, but I've been unable to find anything like it in a bluetooth.

This was supposed to launch by the end if 2007...but we are still waiting for it :

5081.1.0.jpg

Logitech Vantage Bluetooth

Slaylock said:
The developers have said that it would be disturbing to see a body getting crushed as you wrap your car around a telephone pole.
Xun said:
Neither version has a driver in the car.

It makes sense if you think about it though.
Eh. Didn't FlatOut create an entire concept just out of the driver getting flung out of a wrecking car? With all the havok-physics flinging of bodies that happens in games these days did they really think an anonymous driver type getting flung through a windshield or wrapped around a dashboard would be that disturbing? Heck, they could have just made the driver a crash test dummy. It makes sense if you think about it.

Xun

Gary Whitta said:
Yeah the Burnout series has never had drivers, IIRC.
Actually that's not entirely true, I seem to recall Burnout 3 had drivers. But they were completely static.

Oh well, drivers or not, it really doesn't bother me.

distrbnce

Banned
I prefer no driver with more attention paid to the car, and more horsepower devoted to physics.

A crash test dummy would be dumb.

It makes sense if you think about it.

steve

Banned
Gary Whitta said:

It does that. When you hear the turn signal, the light on your car flashes. You just don't notice it because the game is SCREAMING by at such a frantic pace. :lol

steve said:
It does that. When you hear the turn signal, the light on your car flashes. You just don't notice it because the game is SCREAMING by at such a frantic pace. :lol
Yeah I wonder if the much-called-for option to make the turn warnings more prominent would even help given the uniquely insane speed of this game. To some extent Burnout has always felt more like being shot from the barrel of a gun than navigating a racing course, so this free-form expansion is really throwing a lot of people. The only real solution may be to simply play the game enough to learn the city and be able to anticipate the correct turns without any kind of help. That amounts to a very steep learning curve, though.

KAOS

Might be too early calling Burnout Paradise racing GOTY but damn if it isn't!!! Been enjoying the Xbox 360 version kudos to Criterion/EA!

Gamertag: Geistkaos

Rowsdower

Opus Angelorum said:
Not many people talking about crashes, anyone had some crazy crash that would be .gif worthy?

Oh plenty. Like in an online race we all crashed our 8 cars in the same spot at the same time while everyone was laughing histerically over the headset.

h3ro

Opus Angelorum said:
Not many people talking about crashes, anyone had some crazy crash that would be .gif worthy?

Yeah, really makes me think Criterion missed out on an opportunity by not including a Replay/Save replay feature...

Imagine if we had an upload site where we could view our mugshot collection, Replay stills and replay movies ala teh Haloz... woulda been great!

Also, the Steel Wheels code, is it working for everyone?

besada

Banned
It's a crime there's no saveable replay feature. If any game screamed for H3-esque replays and saves, it's this one. I had a wreck last night where My car traveled the full-length of the street balanced on its front bumper. It was sweet, but no one will ever see it.

Koren

Does somebody know if it's possible to play with european gamers (with PAL games) using the US version of the game ?

dkeane

fistfulofmetal said:
The dudes mugshot reaction was a combination mooning and middle finger.

By the by, how does I save these mugshots again?
Saves them automatically, just go through the options screen you'll see them.

Top Bottom