• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Rowsdower

Sorry i had to bail out yesterday folks, i had my manly, urgent needs.
That being said, i never had so much fun in an online game before. One guy yesterday pointed out: "you know, it's funny, people don't get mad with this game" and this is really the case. Everything is just so much fun that you don't even care if you're doing horribly. And believe me, i did horribly. And having a headset adds +100 to the fun, i love hearing other people laughing like maniacs when they crash or get lost.

Woo-Fu

Banned
The Burning Route for the 500 GT is pissing me off, really making me wish there was a "retry" button in here somewhere.

j-wood

Yes! Picked up the PS3 version last night...it was sold out at Game crazy and Gamestop, but I found 1 of 4 copies left at Wal-Mart :D

I'd love to play some online matches with you guys...my PSN is j-wood. I have a PS Eye and headset

painey

good game, some of the takedowns put a big smile on my face, but an awful soundtrack. How do you start the katamari game thing? i missed the bit when the DJ explained it

Almyn

I'm constantly getting kicked from games online.About 30 seconds after i join an online session, I get the kicked message.Asking me to check firewall settings.I'm nat type 2 according to a network test.I don't remember having trouble in the demo.

Is it a connection problem, Or does no one like me?Seeing Kicked in the bottom left corner of the screen makes me feel sad :(

I love driving away with damage!

Let's post pictures of your best damaged drive aways :D

Just got the game, but here's mine, not that much damage.. maybe when i get faster cars:

1201185366-330.jpg

h3ro

Just got my copy in the mail!! :D

I'm going to go through the SP for a few hours and then its time pwn all joo fooolz in teh onlinez roaR! :lol

Hit me up with a message if you see me online tonight, we should get a giant GAF game going!

Dot50, your video on Gamersyde was dope! Thanks Blim!

LevityNYC

Banned
I own the 360 version of the game. I am running off of component. Is it just me or does a lot of the game (the road in particular) have a green hue to it in certain day lights? The sun itself seems more green than yellow to me. I own a Samsung 5271 and everything else looks perferct. On replays the green effect is gone. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed this.

Blablurn

after playing the DMC4 demo I came to the conclusion that i'll skip this one. instead i consider to buy burnout paradise tomorrow. i liked the demo and the buzz around gaf seems quite positiv. i guess you sold the game for me :)

Timan

Developer
Game could really use way points, kinda like pd0 has.

The blinkers on the cars are useful, but when you're going fast as crap, u can't look at the mini map to figure out where to go. Even an arrow at the top of the screen would help.

Only have 9 gates left to find :( so hard.

The mini-map should rotate based on the direction you are facing, keeping the arrow always pointing up, opposed to keeping the map allows pointing north. I find it hard to quickly glance at the map and orient myself in the heat of a race. I simply can not use the mini-map for navigation while racing because there is no way to make sense of it in your peripheral vision. You have to actually look directly at it to tell which direction the arrow is pointing and taking your eyes off the road even for a fraction of a second usually results in a crash. I've gotten used to using the turn signals and flashing street signs but I would like to use the map because the map would allow me to be more creative with the route I take.

I feel like I'm complaining too much about the racing in the game. I am really really loving the game but I feel like a few design decision are hindering my experience. Just wanted to put that out there to help put my complaints in the proper context.

Aladuf

Banned
Timan said:
Game could really use way points, kinda like pd0 has.

The blinkers on the cars are useful, but when you're going fast as crap, u can't look at the mini map to figure out where to go. Even an arrow at the top of the screen would help.

Only have 9 gates left to find :( so hard.

Thats what I want the most, an arrow, if they would just patch that in than I would be perfectly happy.

pubba

I'm considering buying this tomorrow, but my 360 is not online. Do you guys think its would be worth buying for a totally offline gameplay experience?

Otherwise, I'll just save my $$ for DMC4 later this month.

Felix Lighter said:
The mini-map should rotate based on the direction you are facing, keeping the arrow always pointing up, opposed to keeping the map allows pointing north. I find it hard to quickly glance at the map and orient myself in the heat of a race. I simply can not use the mini-map for navigation while racing because there is know way to make sense of it in your peripheral vision. You have to actually look directly at it to tell which direction the arrow is pointing and taking your eyes off the road even for a fraction of a second usually results in a crash. I've gotten used to using the turn signals and flashing street signs but I would like to use the map because the map would allow me to be more creative with the route I take.

I feel like I'm complaining too much about the racing in the game. I am really really loving the game but I feel like a few design decision are hindering my experience. Just wanted to put that out there to help put my complaints in the proper context.
This is another thing about Burnout I do not like. Mini map is pretty much useless when you are racing fast and you have to decide where to turn next.

Problem is this game will sell well and will considered a hit, so developers would like to believe that their design decisions were perfect.

steve

Banned
h3ro said:
Just got my copy in the mail!! :D

I'm going to go through the SP for a few hours and then its time pwn all joo fooolz in teh onlinez roaR! :lol

Hit me up with a message if you see me online tonight, we should get a giant GAF game going!

Dot50, your video on Gamersyde was dope! Thanks Blim!

heh we've had a full 8-man GAF game the last 2 nights, tons o fun.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Problem is this game will sell well and will considered a hit, so developers would like to believe that their design decisions were perfect.
Why do you say that?

Each Burnout game has been a commercial success, right? Yet, despite that, they've shaken up the design with every installment in the series. I don't think they quite work like that, to be honest. They seem to be interested in creating something different each time (though obviously rooted in what people love). That's why opinions are always so torn on the series (every installment is different).

I wouldn't expect another BO game for a while, though.

Tieno

dark10x said:
Why do you say that?

Each Burnout game has been a commercial success, right? Yet, despite that, they've shaken up the design with every installment in the series. I don't think they quite work like that, to be honest. They seem to be interested in creating something different each time (though obviously rooted in what people love). That's why opinions are always so torn on the series (every installment is different).

Agree and you gotta respect them for that.

Doc Evils

WOW!

My first burnout gaming and it's amazing!

I love the graphics of the game and the swift offline to online switch. I am seriously addicted to Showtime mode when I thought I would hate it. :lol

dark10x said:
Why do you say that?

Whenever you change things completely it is a good idea to release a demo as a tool to get feedback from your target audience not just as marketing tool for final product. We had a demo and many voiced their dislikes. Most probably game was completely done when demo was released. I know it's hard to make all fans happy but they could have tried early on. At least make new things optional. Demo is one of the coolest thing happened this generation. Use it.

I'm little bit disappointed because I like Burnout series. I tried and can't get into sims like Forza/GT or semi arcade PGR. And we know it will be for a while before next game in the series.

I'm still having blast with Burnout Paradise. It's not that I didn't know about these changes and bought this game.

distrbnce

Banned
Does anyone know how to get people to join your online game after the initial creation? Not friends, just random players.

I'll create a game and it'll fill instantly with 8 people, but usually it quickly drops down to 2-4. I don't know if this is connection issues, or people just leaving...

So I was playing yesterday with 2 other guys, and they were great, but I didn't know how to get it back up to 8 people. I could've just closed the game and started again, but those guys were cool.

I've tried switching to Invite only and Friends only and then switching back to Open, but that didn't work. I mean the whole idea of it being Open is so people randomly join, right?

Any ideas?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
i'm getting into the faster, more nimble cars now and I'm really loving it. I just aced a ton of races in a row, nothing feels better than smoking the competition by taking a great shortcut (particularly when you're going so fast, you accidentally bypass a winding curve by blasting over an open canyon. Man, I had that race in the bag from there on out). I'm getting a feel for the city now, driving in the mountains is the best IMO, since there's less turns to fuck up (althoguh I do occasionally get trapped on the train tracks. arrggh) . I jsut got my level B license after 6 hours...and I still only have 18% done! WTF I used to murder Burnout games man, wassup with this? Oh well, it's so kickass, I don't care.:D

I wish I had live to play with you guys :[ Promise me you'll still be playing whne I become a rich man?

distrbnce

Banned
MirageDwarf said:
Open track format for racing is frustrating. I can't stay on the track. Most of time, I end up taking route that takes long and couple of extra crashes because of speed. Other than that, it is fun.

I share the sentiment (it's hard not to), but I'm anticipating the... "awakening" with this game.

You know, that moment in a game, say a puzzle game, where you start seeing it on a deeper level and start blowing away your previous high scores. Once we start learning the city I think this game will reach a whole new level of awesome. Just remember how lost you would get when you started a new Grand Theft Auto.

The open track format won't be an issue at all at that point, and I bet you'll really appreciate that you had to learn.

Now the trick is doing it before everyone else.

distrbnce

Banned
calder said:
I finished a bunch of races tonight (sorry to decline the invites from a few of you, but I was embarrassed by my car selection last night :lol) and opened up another 7 cars. But a few of the ones you have to take down eluded me, is it just one car that I have to find again or if I just tool around will he come back eventually? At one point I had 3 cars to shutdown and I'm sure I only got 2 of them, but after spending almost 10 minutes just driving around normally I just don't see the last one. I'm pretty sure it's the one I was chasing on a mountain road and then just totally lost.

Ah I see in the License detail screen it shows I do indeed have 1 car to shutdown. But where the freaking hell is it, I think it was the cool fast looking car that got away too.

Usually if you just casually drive around the cars you need to shut down will fly by. And if you lose them, just head in the general direction they went and you'll catch up with them. It seems to load them up kinda like a 1 opponent Road Rage.

steve

Banned
distrbnce said:
Does anyone know how to get people to join your online game after the initial creation? Not friends, just random players.

I'll create a game and it'll fill instantly with 8 people, but usually it quickly drops down to 2-4. I don't know if this is connection issues, or people just leaving...

So I was playing yesterday with 2 other guys, and they were great, but I didn't know how to get it back up to 8 people. I could've just closed the game and started again, but those guys were cool.

I've tried switching to Invite only and Friends only and then switching back to Open, but that didn't work. I mean the whole idea of it being Open is so people randomly join, right?

Any ideas?

I believe you have to create a room via the server list instead of creating it by just inviting a friend, otherwise only people from friend lists of the players in the room can join.

I could be wrong abotu that though.

distrbnce

Banned
Big Nate said:
What are the restrictions on cars in online races? I was just in one where I could only pick the default car, despite me having a lot unlocked in the solo game, and a B license so far.

When the host creates a race he can choose to lock it down to a certain car or license.

distrbnce

Banned
steve said:
I believe you have to create a room via the server list instead of creating it by just inviting a friend, otherwise only people from friend lists of the players in the room can join.

I could be wrong abotu that though.

Server list? I go to Create Now. Do you get a server list when you go to Search?

But yeah, this happens even when I don't start with a friend.

MechDX

They REALLY need some sort of directional indicator other than the turn signal that isnt much help at 188 MPH and starts 3 seconds before the damn turn.

distrbnce

Banned
MechDX said:
They REALLY need some sort of directional indicator other than the turn signal that isnt much help at 188 MPH and starts 3 seconds before the damn turn.

Again, I think we'll get used to that for races once we learn the city; though I do wish they had persistent indicators for other online players. They said in the podcast they didn't want a bunch of floating icons in the environment though, because it ruined immersion. F that I say, I lean towards fun over immersion. It's so hard to find others if they're not sitting in one spot.

And I'm -dying- for a king of the hill mode.

Tieno

I ordered the PS3 version of this game yesterday via yesasia, it's my first multiplat PS3 game. Expecting it somewhere next week, hopefully.

I've got a small PSN friendlist, so add me
PSN: Tieno

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Are one on one races common? I randomly had one early, gave'em a takedown very early on, hit a massive shortcut and won ridiculously easy. It was weird.

bryehn

Just got this (PS3 version) last night, and spent about 4 hours at least on my first session alone. No mic/camera yet, but I'm sure I'll be online soon enough (after the wife ok's buying a mic/camera :p). This is also my first multiplat game to be bought on PS. Also the first I'll actually play online. PSNID: bryehn

Random thoughts: Showtime is awesome fun. Haters be damned! I like to use it if I know I'll fail a race or something. Takes some of the pain out of not being able to quit/retry events.

SIXAXIS/DUALSHOCK3 steering is actually pretty good. I can see myself switching to it exclusively.

I like the awards system. Especially that the awards are different from the 360 achievements. I liked that the notification for awards was in-game, with the Burnout styling, etc. I like it better than the 360's universal notification. Hopefully all PS3 games from here on do it too. I also like that there's no points, just the award.

Nightz

Iamthegamer said:
Are one on one races common? I randomly had one early, gave'em a takedown very early on, hit a massive shortcut and won ridiculously easy. It was weird.
I don't think they're very common. I almost have my A license, and I've only seen two 1 on 1 races.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Is anyone playing this on a SD tv?

And what was with the drifting in the movie blimblim posted? it seemed really sharp/hard/lame. Was that just due to the car he was driving? Or was he just slamming on the handbreak and not drifting at all ?

distrbnce

Banned
evlcookie said:

And what was with the drifting in the movie blimblim posted? it seemed really sharp/hard/lame. Was that just due to the car he was driving? Or was he just slamming on the handbreak and not drifting at all ?

I am ><

It's a really big nice one though, with component in.

Hoping to remedy the situation with my tax return.

evlcookie said:

I am, though I sometimes move the PS3 into the computer room and play it on my monitor.

h3ro

I've been playing for seven hours straight.. my eyes are bleeding....

I guess I'm slow, but how are you guys pulling up the In game Friends list?

Top Bottom