• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

I have done everything this game has to offer. Unlocked all the cars, done all the challenges, the full 1250 GS.

Yet, I always come back for more. I just love to go in random rooms to play some challenges with people who know what to do or those that don't.

Criterion, give me more challenges. Those 10 ones for the Island were too simple. Make challenges that involve the Island and the whole of Paradise City. And don't forget the Time Challenges, they are my favorite. :D

FerranMG

BTW, what car do you use to make big jumps?

I mean, when you need that little extra to get that billboard that is causing you problems.

BeeDog

Alright, got around to finishing most of the crap in the original parts of the game now.

I rule all 64 roads, I have my elite license, I have smashed all billboards and gates, and done all megajumps, but I still only have 99% on my license (and the Criterion Elite award is still unlocked). What gives?

I think that I will buy it, toy 88 special has pushed me over the edge! i'm glad this game still has a fairly strong online presence when I last looked a few weeks ago, hate it when games get tons of updates but no one ever plays it online.

Add me XBL GAF: Diablohead UK

Xater

This awesome game just got even better. Just spent a some time on Big Surf Island and I'm loving it. That island is so well designed. I love all the jumps you can do. The new car you start out with is also pretty fun to drive around in.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Anyone know if this is also how Games On Demand for 360 will work?

They should be fine. I don't know how PS3 organises its saves, but the 360 attaches it as part of your profile so in theory any copy of the game should work with the save game you have as long as your profile is signed in.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Anyone know if this is also how Games On Demand for 360 will work?
I see that demand service being just like installing a game you own but Live replaces the need to stick the dvd into the drive to validate you own the thing. So old saves should work imo.

Willeth

How do Xbox Originals work? If saves are compatible between Originals and their discs, I imagine the same behaviour will be evident in the full game downloads.

Man, can't wait until tonight when I can finally throw myself into the island. Been away from my games for far too long! :lol

I am loving the new area, it's quite large once you realise how much underground and building stuff you can drive around like a maze, also I feel it's a great size for value with so much to do. Not unlocked any toy cars yet I think but I have 20 gates to go and already claimed over half the billboards.

If only I could find the ski ramp again, I found it once but can't seem to get back to it :lol

only need one more trophy then i have all my bsi trophies.

i played the shit out of this thursday night & friday. the freeburn challenges were some of the most fun ive had with the game, perhaps its just because i was playing with a really cool group of people.

so you guys think this is criterions last dlc for burnout?

crispyben

BeeDog said:
I rule all 64 roads, I have my elite license, I have smashed all billboards and gates, and done all megajumps, but I still only have 99% on my license (and the Criterion Elite award is still unlocked). What gives?
Do you rule all the roads in both Time and Showtime? Did you stop all the cars? Did you get all the Paradise Awards?

KillJade

Banned
Island is full of win, wish it was bigger and had more challenges, but aside from those two nitpicks, it's all good.

Was worth the 12.99 IMO.

The only annoying thing right now is that there really is no separation in rooms for BSI. It's annoying to jump in and out of different rooms until I find one that everyone has BSI, and even then, host somehow never chooses BSI stuff.

FerranMG

AlphaTwo00 said:
The only annoying thing right now is that there really is no separation in rooms for BSI. It's annoying to jump in and out of different rooms until I find one that everyone has BSI, and even then, host somehow never chooses BSI stuff.

Absolutely, happend to me plenty of times while trying to join custom matches. :(
I guess it was not the best time to buy the game. :p

epmode

AlphaTwo00 said:
Seriously? Fail.

The last thing you want to do in a multiplayer game is fracture the playerbase. Crackdown did it right. Lock out the singleplayer but allow anyone to play in multiplayer.

I'm honestly surprised that they didn't go this route.

KillJade

Banned
AlphaTwo00 said:

Almost the entire Island is an offline playground. The onyl thign you need people for are the 10 challenges, and even then, it doesn't even matter how many people there are. Create a room, and as long as you get one other person with the island, you can complete the island 100%.

Wizpig

Downloading 1.9... heck, i read on the news screen Criterion is stopping the news updates... 360 users are stuck with a USELESS "Start to continue" screen and have to check Criterion.com for the updates... these developers really, honestly hate the Xbox 360.

Wizpig said:
Downloading 1.9... heck, i read on the news screen Criterion is stopping the news updates... 360 users are stuck with a USELESS "Start to continue" screen and have to check Criterion.com for the updates... these developers really, honestly hate the Xbox 360.
Not that I mind them stopping it (I don't read it) but for what I have read or spent time looking at, that news page is rather rubbish and just a loading filler :/

BeeDog

crispyben said:
Do you rule all the roads in both Time and Showtime? Did you stop all the cars? Did you get all the Paradise Awards?

Oh, don't have the awards, no. The ticker didn't say anything about those. :/

Wizpig

Danielsan said:
Fuck me,I just wasted 13 euros.
I bought the dlc on the Euro store and I just remembered that I have the US version.
:(
It doesn't work...? :\
That's odd, i bought some Soul Calibur IV DLCs on the US Marketplace and used them on my European account/copy of SC IV.

Danielsan

Wizpig said:
It doesn't work...? :\
That's odd, i bought some Soul Calibur IV DLCs on the US Marketplace and used them on my European account/copy of SC IV.
That's odd. Generally speaking DLC is incompatible with different versions of the game.
I've tried reinstalling it multiple times. No dice.

I also wrote a formal letter to Criterion explaining the situation and asking if they would be willing to provide me with a US download code if I presented my proof of purchase. I know it's a long shot but it's worth a try.

kbear

Hey I rented this game a long time ago and thought it was fun but the lack of restart on challenges and some other stuff was reason i didn't buy it...but now with all these amazing content updates, including the free ones, plus the restart patch, i want to buy it again (except the PSN version). What do u think? how different is the experience now? also, can anyone give a real quick summary on the monster content updates? u don't gotta be detailed in the summary.
it's 29.99 on psn, right? i know i could get for cheaper but i really love booting games from the ps3 without having to put in a new disc

kbear said:
Hey I rented this game a long time ago and thought it was fun but the lack of restart on challenges and some other stuff was reason i didn't buy it...but now with all these amazing content updates, including the free ones, plus the restart patch, i want to buy it again (except the PSN version). What do u think? how different is the experience now? also, can anyone give a real quick summary on the monster content updates? u don't gotta be detailed in the summary.
it's 29.99 on psn, right? i know i could get for cheaper but i really love booting games from the ps3 without having to put in a new disc

Its actually 20 on PSN. Its only 30 if you buy it + the party pack which is like a paid DLC expansion for the game.

I just bought this yesterday on psn for 20.

kbear

DemonSwordsman said:
Its actually 20 on PSN. Its only 30 if you buy it + the party pack which is like a paid DLC expansion for the game.

I just bought this yesterday on psn for 20.
20? then it's an automatic buy
i must have got it confused with socom confrontation which is still 29.99

Is it just me or is there far more cross-traffic in Big Surf compared to Paradise?

I usually just free burn while listening to music for fun, but I'm finding myself slamming into civilian traffic far more than I ever did in Paradise City. Whenever I want to take a particular shortcut (or U-turn as a lot of the shortcuts turn out to be) I slam right into the side of some car that seems perfectly placed to block me. To make it worse, about 50% of the time that I make one of the crazy new super jumps I land smack dab on to some incoming car's hood.

I'm all for the danger that traffic adds to the game, but there seems to be so damn much of it in Big Surf that its filling my pleasurable free burn rides with a few too many random wrecks.

Wizpig

Bought the island :)

By the way, the Burnout Store still has old items marked as "NEW", while the Boost Special cars [newer compared to other items] are not marked as New... odd.

kbear said:
20? then it's an automatic buy
i must have got it confused with socom confrontation which is still 29.99

Well actually theres 2 versions of Burnout on PSN. For $20 you get Burnout + all the free updates and dlc.

There is also a $30 version which comes with Burnout + The party pack DLC. But there is no point in buying it because you can buy the DLC for 10 seperately anyways if you get bored of the original stuff

kbear

edit, you just answered my question above

on another note, what of the paid content do you recommend buying...for example, is the cops and robbers fun and still populated online? 10 bucks for just an online mode seems a lot

btw those toy cars look pretty sick (just looking at the icons in the psn store) :lol:

Canti

Stupid question, what's the difference between "roads ruled" and "timed roads ruled", its been so long since I played the game I've forgotten :lol

This was the only DLC I didn't mind paying for, despite being like 9 months later than originally planned. Spent a good hour earlier going crazy trying to find the last shortcut fence.

kbear

well i just bought it off psn..im excited. 3.3gigs what a monster, says it has "638 minutes left" on the download. thank god im upgrading my dsl tomorrow

Canti said:
Stupid question, what's the difference between "roads ruled" and "timed roads ruled", its been so long since I played the game I've forgotten :lol

This was the only DLC I didn't mind paying for, despite being like 9 months later than originally planned. Spent a good hour earlier going crazy trying to find the last shortcut fence.

You need to beat the best time and the best showtime on a stretch of road to truly "rule" it.

Kryten

I'm with you guys on how annoying it is that there's no easy to spot separation between BSI/Paradise Freeburns - I've spent too much time already jumping in and out of online games trying to find a group who is attempting the BSI challenges only. Seriously, how many more times do I have to meet everyone at the Country Club, or jump the ramps on Angus Wharf? (that said, I'm still only 145/500 on challenges, doh).

If anyone wants a very late night (PST) 360 session going after challenges, look me up GT=Kryten NZ.

TimeLike

I've been stuck at 426/500 forever. Whenever I host a game, no one ever ever joins. When I join someone else's game, they never do the challenges I need or they never start a challenge at all. Fuck it. I'm done.

kbear

TimeLike said:
I've been stuck at 426/500 forever. Whenever I host a game, no one ever ever joins. When I join someone else's game, they never do the challenges I need or they never start a challenge at all. Fuck it. I'm done.
so i'm assuming the online is kind of a wasteland now? not many people playing?

TimeLike

Seems like there are still a bunch of folks playing, but coordinating 5-8 strangers to perform complex actions at the same time is impossible.

No one joins games I host, and when I join another's game and they actually start up a challenge, there is always 1 or 2 imbeciles who have no clue what's going on and just drive around aimlessly doing their own thing.

Agent X

I finally got my 45th Island Billboard earlier today, got the last Big Surf Island trophy that I needed, and was awarded the Toy 88 Special. Very fun car to cruise around the island with. I also had gotten the Toy Bootlegger earlier by getting all the Mega Jumps, which is a fun ride as well.

Anyway, I entered a race event with the Toy 88 Special, and after winning that race, I was awarded the "Win a Race in a Toy Car" trophy. I didn't have that trophy previously, since I didn't have any of the Toy Cars apart from the two I mentioned above. That was totally unexpected!

So, that might be useful knowledge for PS3 trophy hunters who didn't get the Toy Cars, but invested in Big Surf Island.

Also, in a race involving Toy Cars, you'll see a variety of other toys in the race, even if you didn't purchase them. I easily spotted the Toy Citizen and Toy Takedown 4x4 during my race. :D

Mar

TimeLike said:

CortanaScreamAvvy.gif

Sorry but that avatar quote was too irresistible.

Completing all 500 challenges is hard. It's the hardest thing to do in the game. It's not so much an exercise in skill. Rather, it's an exercise in patience. At 426 challenges you've started to reach the stage where a stupid amount of patience is required to keep going.

And just wait until you're down to your last 5 or so...

The x360 community is pretty large and I've never had any trouble finding a game. With all the DLC released though, it can be difficult to find a game that is doing what you want to do. There are so many options now that you have no idea what you're going to be doing when you jump in. Which is pretty fun.

Top Bottom