• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Xav said:
They better not be, we still need an update that gives the game a Cops & Robbers lobby so people can actually play the damn thing.

For real. I bought C&R and it's pretty fun to play - but pretty much nobody ever plays it.

So, I just played this for the first time today. I was waiting on it because of all the DLC. I was hyped, the bikes, day/night cycle, all of it. Sadly, at the time of the games release, our area hadn't offered broadband. I knew I would be able to grab a "complete" package sometime in the future but it still was pretty painful. Now, since I have a decent (finally) internet connection, I was able to download it off of Steam.

I must say that I'm pretty pleased with the sheer size of the game. Just flying past cars and tearing through the seemingly endless streets, weaving in between concrete pillars and obstacles. Rad shit indeed. I've only really been playing with the bikes so far, as that was a pretty big selling point for me.

Any "tricks or tips" for this game that I should know about? Tough streets to get times on? Give me your worst.

xinoart

Banned
FrostuTheNinja said:
So, I just played this for the first time today. I was waiting on it because of all the DLC. I was hyped, the bikes, day/night cycle, all of it. Sadly, at the time of the games release, our area hadn't offered broadband. I knew I would be able to grab a "complete" package sometime in the future but it still was pretty painful. Now, since I have a decent (finally) internet connection, I was able to download it off of Steam.

I must say that I'm pretty pleased with the sheer size of the game. Just flying past cars and tearing through the seemingly endless streets, weaving in between concrete pillars and obstacles. Rad shit indeed. I've only really been playing with the bikes so far, as that was a pretty big selling point for me.

Any "tricks or tips" for this game that I should know about? Tough streets to get times on? Give me your worst.

Learn stunts. Make sure you boost between each trick but time it so you boost almost as the clock is running out. Driving in reverse also counts to reset the clock as do E-braking and a few other small things. Stunts are what stump most people but when you learn to trick the system out it's so damn easy to get 45+ Multipliers in a row anywhere in the city. Most people save the stunt runs for the final license which makes alot of sense. By the time you get to them, you know the city, where jumps and barrel roll ramps are, and you know which stunt car will be the best for you. I personally always picked the P-22 since I found it's the easiest to drive reliably, but it's suited to my driving style. Some love the Hawker.

Besides stunts, everything else is easy in this game, except the online challenges. Getting 8 people together who know what they're doing take awhile But hopefully by the time you get to do the online portion you know how to drive and not mess up and crash constantly and you will have dabbled in online to find "friends" who are decent at the game.

crispyben

And here I was thinking about my "is this the end of the road for Burnout Paradise", only to find the thread bumped by a new BP enthusiast :D Enjoy your stay, you're in for at least 100 hours of fun!

Tailzo

Whenever I do good at stunts, I think I've had a lucky streak. + I am cheating by using boost each time it looks like my time will run out. It's still a blast anyway though!

onken

crispyben said:
And here I was thinking about my "is this the end of the road for Burnout Paradise", only to find the thread bumped by a new BP enthusiast :D Enjoy your stay, you're in for at least 100 hours of fun!

100 might be a bit of an exaggeration, I'm at 98% with about 50 hours and really pretty bored of it now. Nearly bought the Big Surf pack but decided against it since I read you really don't get that much for the money :/

Tailzo said:
Whenever I do good at stunts, I think I've had a lucky streak. + I am cheating by using boost each time it looks like my time will run out. It's still a blast anyway though!

It's not cheating, it's basically essential so don't feel bad about it. Stunt runs I always found difficult until I actually put some effort into them, I actually found them to be the most fun and satisfying part of the game. You make your own little "repertoire" of stunts and just work your way towards it from wherever your starting point is, loads of fun. Couldn't of done it before the restarting events patch though, fuck that.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Tailzo said:

Wait until you get to the HARD stunt runs that require you to do over 400,000 points consistently every time. You won't feel like you're cheating then!

Yep. Doesn't the game even recommend that you use boost to chain stunts together? The x40 Stunt Run multiplier challenge is the last thing I have standing between me and a 100% Elite License. Then I've got about 300 freeburn challenges before I'm finished. I need to get a webcam before I devote this much more time online!

crispyben

Jtwo said:
I've also been stumped by stunts.
The only way to do get better at it is practicing: find a route that suits you, maybe along the South Bay Expressway, and learn to master it. Don't be too greedy, a Flat Spin is easier to land than a Barrel Roll. Use Boost to reset the timer. Soon, you'll score in the millions with each try.

Tailzo said:
See above.

onken said:
100 might be a bit of an exaggeration, I'm at 98% with about 50 hours and really pretty bored of it now. Nearly bought the Big Surf pack but decided against it since I read you really don't get that much for the money :/
The other 50 hours (at least) are online! Freeburn is so much once you get the hang of it (and a good room going). And you want Big Surf Island, it is worth the price of admission. Believe me, there is a lot of action packed in this territory!

Sai-kun

Banned
I've got like 200+ hours :lol I fucking love this game. Started playing again on impulse and bought the big surf island. Man it's pretty awesome. I had totally forgotten how much crazy fun it is to play this game online. :D I love Burnout!

Agent X

It appears there are still artificial restrictions on certain Road Rules, as there had been in the past (such as Warren Ave. and Hans Way) where the game would discard times that Criterion deemed impossible to get through normal play (without exploiting a glitch).

I was attempting some bike nighttime Road Rules on Big Surf Island. I was trying to beat my old best time on Griffin Blvd. of 2.10. I reached 2.00, and other than seeing 2.00 on the top of the screen for about a 1/4, I got no acknowledgment ("New Road Rule Time" message) or scrolling ticker at the bottom showing the update.

I went back to Griffin Blvd. and the top time was still 2.10!

I tried several more times...got 2.00 again, 1.93, 1.92, even 1.82 at one point. None of these times would stick. This is very similar to what happened to me on Warren Ave. last year (which they eventually fixed with a patch).

I wasn't sure if it was a problem with the server not updating, or a deliberate "glass ceiling" put in by Criterion to restrict "invalid" times, so I went and beat a couple other Road Rules (both on and off Big Surf Island), and they all seemed to stick. Just my times on Griffin Blvd. would get thrown out.

I tried a few more times, and got slightly slower times. I got 2.08, and then I got the "New Road Rule Time" message and the ticker appeared at the bottom, just like I'd usually see when I beat a Road Rule. Went back to Griffin and it did in fact keep 2.08 at the top. I also tried again, got 2.03, and again got "New Road Rule Time" and the ticker. Went back to Griffin again, got 2.00, and it got thrown out (top time still showed 2.03).

So, Criterion's glass ceiling for Griffin Blvd. is somewhere in the range of 2.01 to 2.03. I don't know why that is, as it really isn't all that difficult to attain or beat 2.00 here. No shortcuts were involved, I stuck to the pavement the whole time. If they do another patch, then hopefully this is something they can take care of.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Bearillusion said:
Is the restart option part of paid DLC? If not how do I use it?

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread of Pressing Right on the Goddamn D-pad. :lol

So I finally bought a PS3 Eye. Hooked it up, started Burnout Paradise, pressed right on the d-pad ;) and found myself a freeburn game. Saw a car about 200 feet away from where I dropped in and made a warning pass at him. Must've pissed him off when I sideswiped him because he was already coming after me before I could finish turning around. "Taken Down!"

*ding*
Send a Mugshot or Smugshot

*ding*
Burnout Paradise Elite

My first plat baby :D :D :D

He must've told the other drivers in the room that I had a cam because they all started comin' after me, lookin' for mugshots.

rc213

Nintendo Playstation said:
So I finally bought a PS3 Eye. Hooked it up, started Burnout Paradise, pressed right on the d-pad ;) and found myself a freeburn game. Saw a car about 200 feet away from where I dropped in and made a warning pass at him. Must've pissed him off when I sideswiped him because he was already coming after me before I could finish turning around. "Taken Down!"

*ding*
Send a Mugshot or Smugshot

*ding*
Burnout Paradise Elite

My first plat baby :D :D :D

He must've told the other drivers in the room that I had a cam because they all started comin' after me, lookin' for mugshots.

Can I borrow it so I can get my plat too? :D

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I've often been tempted by this game but am now seriously considering it, but I had a question. Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but this game always seemed like a predominately online thing. I have Live, but in about a week I'm going back to college, where I can't get on Live anymore. Is this game still worth it for offline content alone?

Angst

Emerson said:
I've often been tempted by this game but am now seriously considering it, but I had a question. Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but this game always seemed like a predominately online thing. I have Live, but in about a week I'm going back to college, where I can't get on Live anymore. Is this game still worth it for offline content alone?
Absolutely. I've played 5 hours online and 35 offline. :D

Minamu

Your everyday webcam works fine for that achievement. I used my 360 cam (on ps3) & it works flawlessly. Good game, too bad they ditched it after such a short while :)lol)

I finally hit all the billboards! I had to search for a long time for the missing few but I finally done it, now I just need to get all smashes and superjumps. I have all of them from the BSI and playing with the toy 88 special is so fun :D

Emerson said:

Yes. You'll spend most of your time in the beginning offline anyways, takes a good while just to "learn" the city. THere is a stupid amount of content to work with offline.

Minamu

Emerson said:
Definitely. Online is mainly for the coop experience anyway (which kicks ass though). It's not like you're gonna find tons of people playing the offline modes online. You can almost go as far as saying that no one is playing that online, without stretching the truth (at least that's how I've experienced it on the ps3).

Diablohead said:
I finally hit all the billboards! I had to search for a long time for the missing few but I finally done it, now I just need to get all smashes and superjumps. I have all of them from the BSI and playing with the toy 88 special is so fun :D
If you're on ps3, you can look for the things you're missing on:
http://burnoutteamrocks.com/
Just upload your save from your HDD.

Angst

Philanthropist said:
Automatic save or manual save? Because only the latter works.
I was using the autosave and had no idea there existed a manual save. Will try that. Thanks! :D

Edit - it works! Thank you very much! Definitely helps to finish those jumps, smashes and billboards.

Ok, so I've been thinking about buying this game for months now. Never did because other stuff always appeared first :lol

Only racing games I have is GT5P, Wipeout HD and Outrun. Of course if you wanna consider only the big ones, GT5P and Wipeout HD.

I always had a thing for Burnout, since the first one on the PS2, running through the spectacular Burnout 3. Never played the one that came after that. Burnout Dominator and...the sequel on the PSP were also great!

Now, I know this game is largely different from the old ones, but what I'm hoping for is that it maintained it's origins...charm lol

So, give it to me: Is it still worth to buy it? Is it awesome and better than Burnout 3?

Edit: Also, is the game shareable? (PSN)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Minamu said:
Good game, too bad they ditched it after such a short while :)lol)

LOLWUTPEAR.JPG

They supported the game from January 2008 (LAUNCH) to June 11th 2009. A little over a year.

You can't say other games get that kind of support.

ChackanKun said:
So, give it to me: Is it still worth to buy it?

Yes.

Is it awesome and better than Burnout 3?

No. 3: Takedown will ALWAYS be the high-point of the series (and the follow-up: Revenge will always be the SHITTY THAT SHIT INTO SHIT TOWN point of the series)

TheSeks said:
No. 3: Takedown will ALWAYS be the high-point of the series (and the follow-up: Revenge will always be the SHITTY THAT SHIT INTO SHIT TOWN point of the series)
Obviously that point about Takedown being the best is an entirely subjective. It was GOOD, and in general I miss the crash modes from previous Burnouts, but Paradise is just way too awesome with all the single and multiplayer options available to it.

Raiden

Banned
TheSeks said:
LOLWUTPEAR.JPG

They supported the game from January 2008 (LAUNCH) to June 11th 2009. A little over a year.

Yes.

Totally agree, played B3 for a good 270 hours and something, actually defeated the so called top 10 on the leaderboards. Still to today my one and only game i owned pretty much everyone.

Maybe thats why i loved it the most:lol

Minamu

TheSeks said:
LOLWUTPEAR.JPG

I know. That's why there's a smiley at the end :) But on the other hand, I do feel a bit sad that the game is "over", contentwise i was getting used to getting new DLC every now & then.

Help please. I just got BP: Ultimate for PC for my birthday, but it's not working. I'm able to launch the game, login to the online server, and then the in-game browser pops up with the news page (really annoying IMO). I click "Back to Game" but instead I just get an unresponsive black screen with no sound or music. I can hit Alt+F4 to get out (although that causes a Program Error), but this happens everytime.

I already checked EA and Criterion's site and didn't find anything about this. I'll probably submit a bug to Criterion but who knows if I'll get any response.

I'd probably be able to play the game in offline modes by just bypassing the login step, but with a game as full-featured online as this I'd like to play it.

The crazy part is, I downloaded and played the demo (which is actually the full game with a time limit) about six months ago, and it ran just fine. I created an account and it tracked my playtime and everything. Except for a new video card, I haven't made any major changes to my computer since then, and both cards were Nvidia.

deleted

I want to get Burnout Pradise PC Version, but there seems to be no LAN mode?! I´m going to a LAN with some friends this weekend and we wanted to play some Burnout, but we don´t have an internet-connection at our location. Is there a way to get LAN mode working? Was it patched in?

I tried to search for it in this very topic, but PC/LAN etc are to generic or short to be searched for. If the answer is in here somewhere, I couldn´t find it.

Barso

Banned
I have got rid of my xbox 360 and was wondering how this plays on a high spec PC?
Is the online community busy?
Thanks.

I'm surprised they haven't released a collection of unlock keys yet for those who don't want to get them separately. I guess they will sometime. I only got Big Surf Island.

Echoes

I downloaded the 1.9 patch (I think?). Will this unlock the Island for me, or must I purchase it after the patch? I mean, is the Island Pack just some new cars and challenges, or is it the actual island itself?

Angst

Echoes said:
I downloaded the 1.9 patch (I think?). Will this unlock the Island for me, or must I purchase it after the patch? I mean, is the Island Pack just some new cars and challenges, or is it the actual island itself?
To drive on the island you need to buy the island.

Chrono

Banned
I asked this in the small questions thread but after a search found this thread and hey it's still kicking, so why not ask here?

It's a simple question: HOW DO I TURN OFF RUMBLE?

I'm playing the Ultimate Box one on PS3 btw. There's nothing on rumble in the options mention, just wheel force feedback and music and effects sound and account management and other crap BUT NO TURN OFF RUMBLE OH GOD IT'S SO ANNOYING SHUT IT OFF NOW. :'(

Chrono said:
I asked this in the small questions thread but after a search found this thread and hey it's still kicking, so why not ask here?

It's a simple question: HOW DO I TURN OFF RUMBLE?

I'm playing the Ultimate Box one on PS3 btw. There's nothing on rumble in the options mention, just wheel force feedback and music and effects sound and account management and other crap BUT NO TURN OFF RUMBLE OH GOD IT'S SO ANNOYING SHUT IT OFF NOW. :'(
Hold down the PS button, go to Controller Settings and turn rumble off?

Top Bottom