• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

allegate said:
yeah, I know. I'm usually doing "family" stuff or mowing the grass or, for example, finishing the garage this weekend. the joys of home ownership, eh.
Don't I know it, except all my money with into a remod last year. And my clients don't want to see me on Saturdays or Sundays.

as stated before, I'm at 0 challenges...and I'm still getting over a cold so no headset because I'm still coughing a lot and talking makes it worse. :/

edit: sorry, the heater guy showed up. also, sorry for sucking at bikes. I've never played that part of the game before...but I got my 10 challenges at least! lol

No45

ascii42 said:
All I need is the trophy to meet up in the Wildcats Stadium to Platinum. I had played a pretty good amount of the game before the trophy patch, so I'm amazed I've made it this far again.
We had eight people last night, the host was a friend of mine so I asked him to set that challenge. One guy refused to get into the stadium, then people got bored and started to leave/fuck around - you wouldn't think it would be so hard to get. :'(

Sorry for ignoring you last night Ben, I was in a room with a mate finishing the last of the two player challenges.

rc213

No45 said:
We had eight people last night, the host was a friend of mine so I asked him to set that challenge. One guy refused to get into the stadium, then people got bored and started to leave/fuck around - you wouldn't think it would be so hard to get. :'(

Sorry for ignoring you last night Ben, I was in a room with a mate finishing the last of the two player challenges.

I had that happen early but the host was quick to boot the loser. We then waited someone else to join and the challenge was started again and we got it done. Probably like 8th time iI have done it.

Also got a x46 Stunt Run!!!

im thinking of buying this game. what are the differences between ps3 and 360 version? i have both systems and would like to download the game to my ps3, but i know the reputation of 3rd party ports on ps3. i also have a lot more friends on XBL.

give me some feedback bros!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
FrenchMovieTheme said:
im thinking of buying this game. what are the differences between ps3 and 360 version? i have both systems and would like to download the game to my ps3, but i know the reputation of 3rd party ports on ps3. i also have a lot more friends on XBL.

give me some feedback bros!

This is the only game which performs 100% the same on both platforms. Some might say it runs a bit better in PS3 but I can't comment on that as I've not tested it personally.

PS3 has some extra stuff like the web based Criterion News page (the 360 version ain't web based and as far as I know it isn't being updated anymore) and the option to upload your save file to Criterion servers. This is being processed to display a map of Paradise City showing the stuff you have yet to find across the terrain (billboards, jumps etc). Quite useful if you ask me.
Another advantage of the PS3 version is smaller updates.

Also, a PSN version is available for disc-averse people like me :p

FrenchMovieTheme said:
i also have a lot more friends on XBL.
This is your answer. If you really want the PS3 version, you should, it's is a very competent version, and in certain aspects, even better than the 360 one. However, I think it depends strongly on whether your group of friends are already playing on the 360 one.

Both online communities still have very active participants, so that shouldn't be a concern.

No45

allegate said:
woo for the Wildcats trophy. Sorry I had to quit so quickly but I have to pick my son up from school at 3 since I stayed home today. Thanks again!
:D

Hadn't managed to get it in 30+ hours of online play before last night... and last night I completed that challenge three times in the space of an hour! :lol

Thanks again Nintendo Playstation for that, finally have the platinum. ^_^

Something odd happened with my trophies. While I was home for summer break I managed to earn 100% of the trophies. When I left, I threw my save on a USB thumb drive and took it back to school and threw it on my ps3. I went to the PS Store and downloaded the unlock things for all the DLC. When I went to play the game, it had to update. After installing the update and syncing my trophies, it showed that I have 83% of the trophies. The trophies that disappeared were from the DLC Cops and Robbers and the Island. I figure that those two were in the last update I did. Long story short, resyncing does nothing to correct the percent. Is there any way that I can fix this or do I have to re-earn those trophies?

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out.

i ended up getting it for ps3 thanks to the fact that it is downloadable and performance is basically the same. great game so far! add me to your bl if any of you play on psn (FrenchMov)

thelastword

Banned
I know that Criterion is done with Burnout as it relates to patching and DLC etc...but it would be swell if we knew when challenges were being done on the island as opposed to the city. Anybody agrees?

Wow, Showtime is sooooo much easier when you use the right car. I used the Hunter Cavalry (very first car) and struggled to get 1.8 million after a x4 multiplier. Now I've got the Wal-Mart Krieger WTR and I've managed 77 million on East Crawford! 2 more trophies down!

rc213 said:
Started over again with a clean game and I got it with 2 Timed Challenges done. Copied back my old save, All is good. Just need a webcam for my 1st Platinum. :D
Congrats! I'm in the same boat. I think I'm finally gonna pick up the PS Eye from Amazon, it's only $32, down from $40. And I can use it with other games like SingStar. Nice job as well finally getting a 46x multiplier on Stunt Run. I think I got to 35 once but forgot to tap the boost when my dad was trying to tell me something. :/

allegate said:
also, sorry for sucking at bikes. I've never played that part of the game before...but I got my 10 challenges at least! lol
You seemed to pick it up quickly, and I didn't feel bad that we were on bikes because I knew it should get you a trophy or two. Also glad we could get you that Wildcats trophy!

No45 said:
:D

Hadn't managed to get it in 30+ hours of online play before last night... and last night I completed that challenge three times in the space of an hour! :lol

Thanks again Nintendo Playstation for that, finally have the platinum. ^_^
No problem dude! We had so many people dropping in and out after that challenge, I restarted it when three new players joined in. One of the guys must have liked the way I hosted, it was the first time I'd ever had a friend request from someone I'd met in any game.

thelastword

Banned
I guess the more you play burnout the better you become, what an excellent game. Doing the burning routes and now the freeburn challenges has gotten me a bit more acquainted with the city and it's surroundings, and I hope to get better with the challenges and gameplay as I complete my 60+ odd challenges for elite.

I must confess though, that I had this game since it came out, played it a bit, but the no restart policy had me to put it down for a while. With the emergence of trophies and the event restart patch, I came back on recently, and it's all I've been playing consistently since then. What a fun game this is, so much so, that I've bought all DLC in this game minus the unlock all cars one.

I believe this is now the perfect pure arcade racer, so much fun, there's so much to do in the pure game itself even sans DLC. I know it's a bit late for any hype, but this is honest, I bought BP at $60 and I have no regrets, the support for this game has been beyond excellent. The deals thread yesterday could net you the disc for $10.00 and it's $20.00 on the store for even more convenience, I'm just saying, there's no way why every gamer shouldn't have this game by now.

Azuran

Banned
I finally finally to picked up this game. Seriously, for $20 it's a complete steal. Anyways, I've spent around 2 hours downloading the updates because of some stupid error that force me to download them all over again.

Good game so far. I'm having fun which its what matters. Also, driving around the city and doing nothing else is one of my newfound past-times.

Ocho

I've never been a racing fan, in fact, I don't like racing games AT ALL, but there's something about Burnout Paradise that made me finally buy the game at Amazon for $20 bucks.

So far, it's a blast! I love how the game is more arcady than sim-like, how it's kind of open world, and pretty much the presentation of the whole game.

However, can anyone explain how online works? I only know that by using the dpad I can instantly go online, but that's about it. Maybe I'm too occupied with singleplayer that I haven't taken the time to understand the MP component. Any GAF wisdom?

No45

8bitgeorge said:
However, can anyone explain how online works? I only know that by using the dpad I can instantly go online, but that's about it. Maybe I'm too occupied with singleplayer that I haven't taken the time to understand the MP component. Any GAF wisdom?
Which version, as I understand the 360 handles it slightly differently? For the PS3, just hit right on the d-pad and you'll get a menu, the first option will be your friends where you can easily just join them or send an invite (If no friends online you get the option to instant freeburn, which I think just creates an online lobby that you'll be hosting (I haven't used this)).

Beneath that you have the option to Freeburn Online where you can choose Now, which dumps you into an available online lobby, Search, which allows you to look down a list of lobbies and gives a rough idea of what they're doing or Create, which lets you create an online lobby.

When online you can just Freeburn, which is you and the others just messing around in the city, beating each others times/stunts etc; you can run Challenges, which will set a target for everyone in the lobby to complete (Up to 500 depending on which DLC you have) or you can do other bits like online Races, Stunt Runs, Marked Man or Road Rage - all of which basically play like their offline counterparts.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So here's my weekly post begging someone to PSN Trade me for the Boost Cars Pack and Party Pack. :D

I have Big Surf and Legendary Cars. :D

Parham

Banned
How often has Criterion been updating the PC version? I want to get the PC version, but if it isn't been receiving any of the new DLC, I'd rather get it for the 360.

Clevinger

azentium said:
How often has Criterion been updating the PC version? I want to get the PC version, but if it isn't been receiving any of the new DLC, I'd rather get it for the 360.

I've been playing the PC version a lot, and it's either unpatched or with one patch, and it's completely stable for me. I had one crash in lots and lots of hours of gameplay, and I'm not even sure it was due to the game and not my anti-virus.

Ocho

No45 said:
Which version, as I understand the 360 handles it slightly differently? For the PS3, just hit right on the d-pad and you'll get a menu, the first option will be your friends where you can easily just join them or send an invite (If no friends online you get the option to instant freeburn, which I think just creates an online lobby that you'll be hosting (I haven't used this)).

Beneath that you have the option to Freeburn Online where you can choose Now, which dumps you into an available online lobby, Search, which allows you to look down a list of lobbies and gives a rough idea of what they're doing or Create, which lets you create an online lobby.

When online you can just Freeburn, which is you and the others just messing around in the city, beating each others times/stunts etc; you can run Challenges, which will set a target for everyone in the lobby to complete (Up to 500 depending on which DLC you have) or you can do other bits like online Races, Stunt Runs, Marked Man or Road Rage - all of which basically play like their offline counterparts.

Thanks for the info! Yes, I have the PS3 version.

Mar

No45 said:

360 version is exactly the same. I'm dumbfounded people are still perpetuating the rumour that somehow the 360 online is different.

I've played a fair bit in the last few weeks and I still love the game as much as I ever have. I've gotten used to the P12 Diamond now too and can honestly say it's a great car. Incredibly stable, barrel rolls are a breeze, and while it's not that fast, it makes up for it in how effortlessly it pulls off stunts.

My one beef with the island though, is that again there's not much point in going there during online play. They really should have built a road that goes from the south, around to the island, then back out and north. A fast road like the freeway that would let you skip driving through the city to get north. That would have been at least a way people could experience the island during normal play. Otherwise, no one ever ends up going there because it's basically a dead end.

Although there was one time online where the host wasn't selecting any challenges, and just sitting at the side of the road. So literally for an hour or so me and a bunch of other dudes were just fucking around on the island. Jumping the jumps, trying to land on each other, and just doing goofy shit. It was great fun and no one ever said a word on their mics the entire time. Just a bunch of dudes enjoying throwing cars around each other. Good times.

No45 said:
(If no friends online you get the option to instant freeburn, which I think just creates an online lobby that you'll be hosting (I haven't used this)).
Instant Freeburn just does the work of searching for you. It detects whether you're in a car or on a bike, finds a room that's fairly full and drops you in. It's convenient unless you're looking for timed challenges, freeburn challenges, or freeburn events (races, stunt runs, etc.).

Mar_ said:
Although there was one time online where the host wasn't selecting any challenges, and just sitting at the side of the road. So literally for an hour or so me and a bunch of other dudes were just fucking around on the island. Jumping the jumps, trying to land on each other, and just doing goofy shit. It was great fun and no one ever said a word on their mics the entire time. Just a bunch of dudes enjoying throwing cars around each other. Good times.
That's exactly the reason I wanted the game in the first place. :D In fact, I'm gonna go do my last 5 marked mans and last 5 stunt runs and earn my Elite license right now!

No45

Mar_ said:
360 version is exactly the same. I'm dumbfounded people are still perpetuating the rumour that somehow the 360 online is different.
I've never seen/played it. The only exposure I have to that version is some old 1Up Yours discussion where they mentioned that the PS3 version seemed more seamless.

Completed all of the three player challenges last night with some guys from work. Would have done some of the four player challenges, but one of us didn't seem to have a clue what was going on and wasn't paying attention to our discussion... so I kicked him. :lol

Looking forward to seeing him at work tomorrow. :p

Nice. That should be a watercooler talk for the ages.

Finally grabbed my Elite license, but the game says I'm at 99.83%. Do the Paradise Awards count towards that? It's the only thing I can think of and I'm only missing the Stunt Superstar (x40 multiplier). Also, I was given the award for completing all Burning Routes (36) but when I compare stats with crispyben, it says he's done 37?

Agent X

Nintendo Playstation said:
Nice. That should be a watercooler talk for the ages.

Finally grabbed my Elite license, but the game says I'm at 99.83%. Do the Paradise Awards count towards that? It's the only thing I can think of and I'm only missing the Stunt Superstar (x40 multiplier).

That would be my guess as well.

Nintendo Playstation said:
Also, I was given the award for completing all Burning Routes (36) but when I compare stats with crispyben, it says he's done 37?

There's one Burning Route on Big Surf Island for the Dust Storm that awards the Dust Storm SuperTurbo. Perhaps that's being added to the total.

No45

Yeah, completing the last few of the Paradise Awards took my licence to 100%.

Willeth said:
Dammit, I have one Island Smash to get, keeping me from 100% (or 206% or whatever it is now) and two cars. Arrgh.
A mate at work is on 399/400 for the original content... but he's uploaded his save and as far as he can tell it's a glitch because the gate just isn't there. He's played the game on his US save and cleared that area and on that save it shows it's gone. So he may NEVER get to 100% (Or unlock the car that comes with it) unless he starts over. :(

Willeth

I'm sure it's just me being dense. It's a Midtown one, and I'm sure it's there among all the maze in the middle, I just keep missing it.

Xav

thelastword said:
I know that Criterion is done with Burnout as it relates to patching and DLC etc
They better not be, we still need an update that gives the game a Cops & Robbers lobby so people can actually play the damn thing.

No45 said:
I've never seen/played it. The only exposure I have to that version is some old 1Up Yours discussion where they mentioned that the PS3 version seemed more seamless.
For 1.0 (Retail disk release), there was a point where the 360 suffered some frame hiccups around the Big Surf Beach jumps, but since 1.2's patches (the first big one), it's been pretty even.

Since I own the Ultimate Box, the only dlc I own for this game is... BSI.

But seriously thats all you ever need :lol There is way too much stuff to complete online and off to ever finish this game in my lifetime, you guys who have all smashes and freeburns complete are god's, especially you lot on the 360 who can't use the website to find missing gates, my one weakness is the last 8 or so gates!

No45 said:
Yeah, completing the last few of the Paradise Awards took my licence to 100%.
That's gotta be it then. I have both the 100% Island Elite and 101% Rider Elite licenses. I'd be interested to hear what crispyben has to say, but thanks Agent X.

Azuran

Banned
I hate the Carson 500 GT. I've spent two hours trying to beat that car's burning route. It wouldn't have been so hard if the car's handling wasn't complete crap. Why did Criterion have to choose the hardest route for that? Please tell me there aren't any cars that have a worst handling than that one.

Also, probably been asked here before, but are any of the DLC cars worth it? I have 10 spare dollars on my account.

Thanks.

rc213

Azuran said:
I hate the Carson 500 GT. I've spent two hours trying to beat that car's burning route. It wouldn't have been so hard if the car's handling wasn't complete crap. Why did Criterion have to choose the hardest route for that? Please tell me there aren't any cars that have a worst handling than that one.

Also, probably been asked here before, but are any of the DLC cars worth it? I have 10 spare dollars on my account.

Thanks.

I say just get the Big Surf Island DLC, The toy cars that you can unlock are awesome.

Toy Jansen P12 88 Special for Stunt Runs.
Toy Carson GT Nighthawk for Races, Marked Man and Road Rage.

jett

D-Member
Okay...I tried out the PC demo, and there's a SEVERE bug with the PC version, at least on my video card. I'm using an ATI 4670 on WinXP with everything set to highest if possible...and you know what? No friggin dynamic lighting/shadows at all. In turn the game looks several shades uglier than my PS3 BP on a SDTV. :p Anyone know if there's a fix for this?

rc213

Yay, I'm now ELITE! I found Burning Routes extremely easy and was able to knock them out in like 2 hours. Just need about 39 Showtime Road Rules and 200 Online Challenges.

No45

Am I the only one that thinks this looks HIDEOUS at night? It seems at the moment whenever I go online for challenges they're taking place at night. :(

I have my time set to midday constant. Have about 320 challenges complete now - I still don't think I'll get to the 500, but I must admit it's getting close enough now to be tempted.

rc213

No45 said:
Am I the only one that thinks this looks HIDEOUS at night? It seems at the moment whenever I go online for challenges they're taking place at night. :(

I have my time set to midday constant. Have about 320 challenges complete now - I still don't think I'll get to the 500, but I must admit it's getting close enough now to be tempted.

I don't think it looks hideous at night but it does annoy me when the host has the time set at night when trying to do challenges. Specially ones that involve Barrel Rolls, You can tell people are having a hard time and the host ends up getting frustrated when the room fails the challenge.

This game is soooooooooo good when you find yourself with a room full of good people. Couple days ago I found a room with 2 other people and ended up doing all 3 people Timed and Freeburn Challenges. :O I'm at like 340 now.

52club

I really prefer this on my PS3, also owned it on 360 (which I sold recently). It just seems like the graphics are a little clearer. I don't have any evidence of this, but it is just my own preference.

No45

rc213 said:
Yay! Double Elite, 101%, 81/81 Cars, Platinum paint job, Ooh!

Just need webcam for last trophy!
81 cars? I have 101% and 76/76 - do you have all 500 challenges complete?

EDIT: Just realised those extra five cars are the pre-order bonuses and the "Steel Wheels" GT. So it looks like I can only get to 78 with that GT and the Diamond P12. :)

rc213

No45 said:
81 cars? I have 101% and 76/76 - do you have all 500 challenges complete?

EDIT: Just realised those extra five cars are the pre-order bonuses and the "Steel Wheels" GT. So it looks like I can only get to 78 with that GT and the Diamond P12. :)
I got a car for completing 2 sets of online challenges. I have the 2P & 3P Timed/Freeburn challenges all done.

No45

rc213 said:
I got a car for completing 2 sets of online challenges. I have the 2P & 3P Timed/Freeburn challenges all done.
Yeah I have that as well, it's the Krieger Carbon Uberschall 8. As far as I can tell, all you can achieve with a PAL version (Not including online/DLC cars) is 78.

Top Bottom