• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

I see a lot of people online with speed cars, but when I blast past them in the straightaways with my little Stunt class P12.... I think it humbles them a little bit

I'm not a big fan of the way the speed class handles boost, when you can only use it if it's full. I totally agree the P12 is better for racing.

Also, what is boost chaining and how do I get x20?

MaizeRage25 said:
I'm not a big fan of the way the speed class handles boost, when you can only use it if it's full. I totally agree the P12 is better for racing.

Also, what is boost chaining and how do I get x20?

Use your entire boost bar in one go and it'll refill
keeping doing it for a chain

burgerdog said:
My code doesn't include any zero's. Either the code they sent me is invalid or it's a one-time use thing and somebody else got it as well?
it's possible, but I dunno. Go back and get another code, maybe?
j-wood said:
I bought the game from wal-mart. Does the code for it's car come in the manual or was Wal-mart supposed to give it to me? Because they didnt...:(
they were supposed to give it to you.
Aladuf23 said:
I'm not sure but either way all of the unlockable car's codes are in the OP.
not the Steel Wheels code, that one is given to you if you pre-ordered the game.

sorry I couldn't be online tonight. it's my wife's birthday and we went out for dinner.

Been playing online with 7 other guys for the past few nights. Man this game is sick. Sometimes we'll do races (we did the full city circuit tonight, crazy), and sometimes we'll just dick around in the quarry or at the air field for like an hour jumping and running into each other.

Custom soundtracks make this game perfect.

Aladuf

Banned
I'm pretty bummed I couldn't join any games tonight...my internet kept flipping in and out of working so if I did get the chance to join I dropped out quickly. I'm looking forward to some online tomorrow though!

edit: Well, I was able to get one in just now, but there was only about 2 other Gaffers.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Gary Whitta said:
BTW what is power parking and how do I do it?

Use the e-brake to slide your car in sideways between two parked civilian cars without wrecking them.

fistfulofmetal said:
I see a lot of people online with speed cars, but when I blast past them in the straightaways with my little Stunt class P12.... I think it humbles them a little bit

The Stunt class cars seem to handle the best and they usually have pretty good speed too. I think they are the most enjoyable to drive. I'm not big on the idea of only being able to use my boost when my meter is full with speed class cars.

KTallguy

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
The Stunt class cars seem to handle the best and they usually have pretty good speed too. I think they are the most enjoyable to drive. I'm not big on the idea of only being able to use my boost when my meter is full with speed class cars.

But once speed cars get going, they go super fast. It just takes practice.

xdgyp.jpg

eFert's hiding in fear I think.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Bebpo said:
So I'm buying this tomorrow for PS3.

Is it still safe or has the day 1 love thread turned into a hate thread already?

I was wondering the same thing. I had my coupon and BB gift cards in hand on my way to BB and I changed my mind. I'm really torn, I hate to buy racing games that sit without play.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Finally I have confirmed via the Usps code tracking thing that I will get this game on Monday, finally I will throw it down with you guys via PSN. Finally, I have a headset thanks to boxed Warhawk but no camera.

Everdred

sarcoa said:
Has anyone heard anything in the way of future DLC?

Dunno if this has been mentioned before, but someone at gamefaqs posted what they claimed was the 'original map' for Paradise City (http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/9828/originalbpmpy1.jpg ). There's a huge airport off to the east, and if you go to the east side in game there's a broken bridge and some mock up buildings on the eastern horizon.
The island to the right will be the Downloadable content!!!! I'm calling it right now.

OK I've looked through the menus, and can't see the option to turn the Takedown camera off. It's rather annoying because it can be frustratig when doing 200mph.

Anyone?

Sean

Banned
burnoutboostx20achie6dab8.png

If anyone needs this achievement (Boosting Around the World) I found a really simple way to get it.

You are awarded a car called the Carson Fastback once you earn your Class B License. Bring it to the Wildcats Baseball Stadium and boost while drifting in circles. You'll start creating a burnout chain and it'll be easy to keep continuing it since there are no other cars that you'd be able to hit.

It takes like a minute or two at most and there is even a gas station right near one of the entrances to max out your boost if you need it.

Sean said:

If anyone needs this achievement (Boosting Around the World) I found a really simple way to get it.

You are awarded a car called the Carson Fastback once you earn your Class B License. Bring it to the Wildcats Baseball Stadium and boost while drifting in circles. You'll start creating a burnout chain and it'll be easy to keep continuing it since there are no other cars that you'd be able to hit.

It takes like a minute or two at most and there is even a gas station right near one of the entrances to max out your boost if you need it.

OR.. you can go the totally BADASS route and weave in and out of traffic on the streets of paradise.:D

Nevermind..

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
KennyLinder said:
OK I've looked through the menus, and can't see the option to turn the Takedown camera off. It's rather annoying because it can be frustratig when doing 200mph.

Anyone?

There isn't one.

Geoff9920

Sean said:

I just got that car late last night, I'll have to give this a try. :)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Tried playing some online this morning but the server was down. It was up again in a few minutes, though. Made me re-confirm my network agreement.

Munin

I've just played for an hour but somehow I'm not feeling it. I used to be a big fan of Burnout and the whole spontaneous concept of it. But now that they've turned it into a pseudo open world game...I don't know. Maybe I'm getting too old, but I can't even comprehend some of the races. Since the game forces you to check your route for yourself, i.e. looking at the map etc. all while driving at breakneck speed, just doing events randomly is really frustrating. Previous Burnout games were great in always keeping you on the verge of losing control, but this is too much. I just feel confused and unsatisfied, as I can't really concentrate on the driving. And well, they expect me to go look around for ramps and the likes for like two hours before I can pull off stunt events or what?

:/ Maybe I just suck but...I don't think this is working for me.

pubba

Munin said:
I've just played for an hour but somehow I'm not feeling it. I used to be a big fan of Burnout and the whole spontaneous concept of it. But now that they've turned it into a pseudo open world game...I don't know.

I'm worried that I will feel this way too. Can anyone who has only played it offline comment on the value of the game?

I dont have my 360 online so the online stuff is not appealing for me..

Please - anyone? I'm heading to the city tomorrow and want some GAF opinions before I lay down the cash :D

elseanio

My bluetooth headset doesnt work online :( I dont even know what you're meant to do online.. I just kept crashing into my friend..

Evander

"industry expert"
My reactions:

I was expecting the game to be really bad, but I was surprised to find certain elements that I really liked. That said, so much of it was done so poorly in relation to what I've come to expect from a Burnout game that it still managed to let me down.

I'm going to continue testing it out over the next few days, but here are a couple of initial issues:

No clear demarkation of which cars are other racers and which are pedestrians in offline mode.

No aftertouch.

Indirect crashes do not count in Showtime (If you knock a bus into traffic, but do not touch the cars that crash into it, you ONLY get credit for the bus.)

Poor timing of tips (it took a couple of hours before thegame mentioned to me that you can exit an event by stopping the car for a moment. I had to reset the game a couple of times because I had gotten off course, and really didn't want to drive all the way accross the city, just to finish in 8th.)

Also, I am VERY amused by all of the CompUSA ads. Lot of good that'll do them now...

Nightz

PirateSean said:
My bluetooth headset doesnt work online :( I dont even know what you're meant to do online.. I just kept crashing into my friend..
The game host can set up events/races/challenges where all the people in the room compete and contribute to complete the task. Try hosting a game and there will be something in the menu that will let you select the events.

sinnergy said:
What button do I need to press to talk in the PS3 version?
I haven't had to push a button to talk. Once I turn my headset on, I'm able to talk to people normally.

Evander said:
No clear demarkation of which cars are other racers and which are pedestrians in offline mode.
They're the ones going faster than everyone else. ;)

Evander

"industry expert"
Nightz said:
They're the ones going faster than everyone else. ;)

That really isn't acceptable.

I would saythatthe game was flawed, if Alex Ward hadn't already informed me otherwise. Since, you know, if he says it, it must be true.

Shinraven

so here i was with my B license, I am enjoying the game then i decided its time i do a burning route. From the stadium to the wind farm. nice drive.

The lack of restart is really annoying me, esp if you mess up on such a race and I have to go allllll the way back to the stadium to start the burning route again.

Seriously Criterion, please patch the game with a option to restart. yes I undertand the lack of loading but to my knowledge, when I go in the Junk yard the game changes and loads there....so...wtf is the problem here ? why dont we get restart, or quit event ?

Grrrrr, out of frustration, I turned the game off. debating if to keep the game. :(

distrbnce

Banned
Evander said:
That really isn't acceptable.

I would saythatthe game was flawed, if Alex Ward hadn't already informed me otherwise. Since, you know, if he says it, it must be true.

I really haven't had a problem knowing which cars are competitors. They're usually weaving around, look totally different, and yes are going a lot faster than the... civilians (pedestrians walk). I haven't heard that sentiment elsewhere either. I imagine you'll get used to it.

And I don't think Alex would have a problem with you criticizing the game now. I think his major problem was that many people were judging it before they had played it.

Man, I had so much fun last night. Met some really great people and had a blast. Most of the challenges aren't that great (boost for 10 seconds), but the ones that require everyone to be in a certain area (jump on certain ramps, over the other cars) are really awesome. Once you do a few of those to break the ice, start setting up races for some real fun.

My favorite race: 3 rounds - First is the circuit around the lake. Second is this race on the right side of town. No turns, it's pretty much a 30 second drag race and changes things up before the last race - the full city circuit. Awesome.

distrbnce

Banned
DKo5 said:
How do you save out mugshots?! I've got some great ones

Since it's clear you know how to get to The Lineup, whenever you're viewing them there's a button for exporting (triangle I believe). It's listed in the bottom right though.

Now it'd be cool if they offered us some server space and a way to upload them in-game.

supercake

If there was simply a warp option to jump to events, I'd be much happier. I'm surprised it's not there to begin with. Reading the map during a race is a pain, but I figure with time, as I get used to the city's layout, this won't be a problem. Have to admit it is fun to suddenly smash on the brakes to make a turn that's coming up.

I mean, overall it's still fun and I loved Burnout 3, (never played Revenge) but the open world doesn't fit with single player, and without the warp option for restarting, or just to quickly pick events, it's not as strong as I hoped.

Plinko

One thing that pisses me off about the online is when you host a room and activate a 7 or 8 person challenge only to find that one car isn't moving at all and one car is repeatedly taking it down.

Why is this happening? Are people just doing it to artificially boost their takedown total? Criterion should release a patch that boots inactive cars after 10 seconds.

It wouldn't bother me much if it happened once but it's been at least 5 times now.

distrbnce

Banned
Plinko said:
One thing that pisses me off about the online is when you host a room and activate a 7 or 8 person challenge only to find that one car isn't moving at all and one car is repeatedly taking it down.

Why is this happening? Are people just doing it to artificially boost their takedown total? Criterion should release a patch that boots inactive cars after 10 seconds.

It wouldn't bother me much if it happened once but it's been at least 5 times now.

I haven't seen that. You can kick players though.

h3ro

Shinraven said:
so here i was with my B license, I am enjoying the game then i decided its time i do a burning route. From the stadium to the wind farm. nice drive.

The lack of restart is really annoying me, esp if you mess up on such a race and I have to go allllll the way back to the stadium to start the burning route again.

Seriously Criterion, please patch the game with a option to restart. yes I undertand the lack of loading but to my knowledge, when I go in the Junk yard the game changes and loads there....so...wtf is the problem here ? why dont we get restart, or quit event ?

Grrrrr, out of frustration, I turned the game off. debating if to keep the game. :(

I agree on the burning routes! I dread doing them just for the fact that I'm one "wrong" turn away from completely throwing the entire five minute lap away and having to drive ALL the say back to the other corner of the map...

There is a quit event option, you just stop and stay on the brake for a few seconds and all the race HUD disappears and your back to doing your own thing...

I'd never thought I'd miss invisible walls so much! An earlier post mentioned how great this game will be once we all have "that moment" where you realize you've memorized the entire map... I can't wait for that moment and I hope I'm not sick of the game when I finally do reach that point...

Top Bottom