• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

dkeane

h3ro said:
I've been playing for seven hours straight.. my eyes are bleeding....

I guess I'm slow, but how are you guys pulling up the In game Friends list?
In the pause menu there's an online section just press Triangle.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Fantastic game, haven't played online yet though. Do the discovery things (billboards, super jumps, yellow fences) count towards your total if you find them in multiplayer?

Costanza

Banned
How do the leaderboards work? It's told me twice that I broke a showtime record but when I go to the leaderboards for Showtime it won't even let me search for myself/friends list.

Rowsdower

Sorry i had to bail people, but it's after 1am here. Was a tun of fun though, i think i never laughed so hard in an online game before.

steve

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Finally! A game that lets me msg other players without exiting the game.

Lots of games have had that feature already. But yeah, it's nice that Burnour has it, I've been playing for 2 nights and never even realized the option was there. lol

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Question about the PS3 game: Can you send a friend request in game, and if so does the friend also appear in the PSN or is it like UT3 where adding a friend in game doesn't add it in PSN?

Just got this from Gamefly. About an hour in, enjoying it pretty well so far. Is there really no way to shut off the takedown cam, though, or even to skip them when they come up? I find it really annoying to be taken out of the game so often.

Tiduz said:
Isnt that a good thing?

Yes and no. Yes in that it keeps most of the core intact, and no in that the changes that it DOES make were mostly for the worse. In other words, I'm having fond flashbacks of Burnout 3 and keep getting the feeling that I'd rather being playing it than Paradise...

distrbnce

Banned
sarcoa said:
Has anyone heard anything in the way of future DLC?

Dunno if this has been mentioned before, but someone at gamefaqs posted what they claimed was the 'original map' for Paradise City (http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/9828/originalbpmpy1.jpg ). There's a huge airport off to the east, and if you go to the east side in game there's a broken bridge and some mock up buildings on the eastern horizon.

Judging from the podcast, they're all big fans of DLC, and have some good ones in store. They say just giving more cars wouldn't be good enough.

And they've dropped some pretty strong hints that something big will be coming at the end of the year. That's a long way off... it must be good.

burgerdog

Checked the Op and found my answer. The product code for my steel wheels car didn't work, though, and it's the one that gamestop sent me. Odd.

spwolf

Metalmurphy said:
Finally! A game that lets me msg other players without exiting the game.

so much for it taking huge amounts of memory... I expect this to become common for many future games...

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
So what's the GAF opinion on this?

Are old-school Burnout fans an extremely loud, obnoxious minority with their hate for this game like in the demo thread, or is there an overall positive [as in, buy it] vibe to this game?

reilo said:

Are old-school Burnout fans an extremely loud, obnoxious minority with their hate for this game like in the demo thread, or is there an overall positive [as in, buy it] vibe to this game?

This is, for me, the most laid back and "chill" gaming experience I've had since playing Tony Hawk 2 on the Dreamcast. The key point is this...if you mess up some sort of event...don't get frustrated, just do something else and come back to it later some time...if at all. It's very free and almost sortof relaxing.

Most people seem to be quite happy with it, as am I (obviously).

Aladuf

Banned
reilo said:

There is definetly a "buy it" vibe to this, the demo was nothing! It is extremely fun to play online with friends/gaffers, etc. I've not once gotten frustrated with the game when I've crashed or lost a race.

burgerdog said:
Checked the Op and found my answer. The product code for my steel wheels car didn't work, though, and it's the one that gamestop sent me. Odd.
just remember that it's a zero not an O, you need the space between each group of 4 characters, and also the letters have to be capitalized.

and wth is the point of giving this car away for free if you can't use it until you practically beat the game anyway?

steve

Banned
reilo said:

Must-buy. It's quality through and through.

burgerdog

bune duggy said:
just remember that it's a zero not an O, you need the space between each group of 4 characters, and also the letters have to be capitalized.

and wth is the point of giving this car away for free if you can't use it until you practically beat the game anyway?

My code doesn't include any zero's. Either the code they sent me is invalid or it's a one-time use thing and somebody else got it as well?

j-wood

I bought the game from wal-mart. Does the code for it's car come in the manual or was Wal-mart supposed to give it to me? Because they didnt...:(

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
races are starting to get harder at level B, and the cheap piece of shit they give you for leveling up doesn't help much. I had to get lucky with a few races. I just took down the Mafioso car and bailed for the night. damn, this game gets the blood flowing. Why couldn't they have released this earlier in the winter? It's a great work out for when the weather outside is freezing :p

Aladuf

Banned
j-wood said:
I bought the game from wal-mart. Does the code for it's car come in the manual or was Wal-mart supposed to give it to me? Because they didnt...:(

I'm not sure but either way all of the unlockable car's codes are in the OP.

Remy

Regarding in game XMB: yes, you can send friend requests and accept them. But strangely, you can only do it when you're NOT playing online. Go figure.

Regarding DLC, DJ Atomica's news post (pause, Burnout Online, News) mentions (or mentioned) that there is some coming in the future.

KTallguy

Banned
I'm going home and firing it up right now! PSN: KTallguy

I need a bigger friends list. I can't wait for Home! Imagine, meeting up in a GAF Burnout room or something.

dkeane

KTallguy said:
I'm going home and firing it up right now! PSN: KTallguy

I need a bigger friends list. I can't wait for Home! Imagine, meeting up in a GAF Burnout room or something.

Says you've reached the max for friends.

Bebpo

Banned
So I'm buying this tomorrow for PS3.

Is it still safe or has the day 1 love thread turned into a hate thread already?

Duke Togo

Bebpo said:

Is it still safe or has the day 1 love thread turned into a hate thread already?
I've had it for 2 days and I've not gotten frustrated yet. I think 99% of people would tell you to buy it.

MechDX

reilo said:

This is NOT Burnout. Im starting to hate the "sandbox genre" and all devs who think its a good idea to utilize it in EVERY damn game.

Bebpo said:

I've been critical of the game but that's only because the game is so great, that I think a few tweaks would make it absolutely perfect. Definitely a must buy arcade racer.

Still having a blast with Showtime mode, but perturbed by the fact that your ability to gain a high score is almost completely predicated on the (completely random) factor of how many buses (which act as score multipliers) show up. It's entirely possible to string together amazing 50+ crashes but still fall short of the target just because no buses ever showed up.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Grabbed my copy today.

This is the first Burnout game I owned, so I think I'm at an advantage in that I don't have to adjust to the open world game play. That being said, I'm really digging the go-anywhere, do-anything gameplay.

Fast, hectic and a lot of fun just to watch. I'm pretty bad so far (I hit a lot of barricades that seem to come out of nowhere!), but I'm looking forward to learning the city and getting online with some of you guys.

Hit me up for some online races.

GT: Space Donkeys

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Gary Whitta said:
Still having a blast with Showtime mode, but perturbed by the fact that your ability to gain a high score is almost completely predicated on the (completely random) factor of how many buses (which act as score multipliers) show up. It's entirely possible to string together amazing 50+ crashes but still fall short of the target just because no buses ever showed up.

Old Crash Mode was like that too. Although that was much more of a puzzle game, busses would make or break most of the different scenarios.

Doc Evils

Gary Whitta said:

I managed 140.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Are there only particular races where you unlock a car driving around the city? I've never had more than 1 car driving around the city at a time and I've strung together like, 4 race wins in a row without ever getting another.

Still trying to crack 100 cars in Showtime, 94 is my record. :)

I actually find myself avoiding straight race events to some extent now because I really don't enjoy having to navigate, and losing a race in the final stretch because I took a wrong turn. I hate hate HATE it, and racing with one eye constantly glancing at the map and trying to figure out the next turn to take just doesn't = Burnout to me. The routes that are pretty much a straight shot are fine, but any kind of convoluted route is just a pain. I try to score as many wins doing Road Rages and Marked Mans instead.

Anyone got any Stunt Run tips for me? What's the best way to get a high score?

Clinton514

I just found the in game messaging as well. Why doesn't every EA game or any other game for the matter, use this as a standard yet!?

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Played online (360) for 4 hours last night with some buddies from work. The mugshots are hilarious, worth the price of admission alone for me.

I haven't really enjoyed a Burnout since BO3, and this is pretty good so far. Rushing home now to play some more :D

Holy shit speed cars are ridiculous. How anyone can get more than two burnout chains is beyond me. It's pretty much pure luck as far as I'm concerned. Doesn't stop me from trying though, it's too much fun. First person view is a must of course.

I like this game.

Top Bottom