• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

distrbnce

Banned
h3ro said:
I agree on the burning routes! I dread doing them just for the fact that I'm one "wrong" turn away from completely throwing the entire five minute lap away and having to drive ALL the say back to the other corner of the map...

There is a quit event option, you just stop and stay on the brake for a few seconds and all the race HUD disappears and your back to doing your own thing...

I'd never thought I'd miss invisible walls so much! An earlier post mentioned how great this game will be once we all have "that moment" where you realize you've memorized the entire map... I can't wait for that moment and I hope I'm not sick of the game when I finally do reach that point...

I've only failed 1 burning route so far, and I don't know, it wasn't that big of a deal. I was about 5 seconds too late, because of 2 unfortunate wrecks. I just kind of accepted it. Then the next race was pretty much a straight shot back.

I made that earlier post, too. And I am starting to learn some areas. In fact the race I was just talking about is in that SE area near the stadium over to the Ranch. I'm getting to know that area pretty well, and a few other spots too.

Kinda like the Big Surf beach area from the demo. I know that place like I live there now. If a race takes me through there I can hit a few good shortcuts. Just waiting for that knowledge to spread out through the city.

Woo-Fu

Banned
You'll start doing plenty of burning routes multiple times once you start unlocking the higher level cars, even when you know the map.

Evander

"industry expert"
The removal of second and third place is also very annoying.

It used to bethat if you fell behind just a little bit at the end of the race, or got into too many crashes, and just couldn't catch up to the lead, you might still get recognition for your otherwise great driving.

But now it is all or nothing.

Aladuf

Banned
Plinko said:
One thing that pisses me off about the online is when you host a room and activate a 7 or 8 person challenge only to find that one car isn't moving at all and one car is repeatedly taking it down.

:lol I kinda always seem to have a problem that when a challenge is activated, I'm already across the damn world from everybody! So as all of the other cars are where they're supposed to be I'm trying to figure out where the hell I am and where the hell I need to go, so it takes me forever to get to the challenge area.

Does anybody else wish the map was three times bigger or are you cool with the size? The cars are so fast that you can go from the east side docks to the west mountains in just two races.

Dark Octave said:
Does anybody else wish the map was three times bigger or are you cool with the size? The cars are so fast that you can go from the east side to the west in just two races.
I think it's plenty big, but then again I really haven't played all that much (maybe around 5-6 hours). We'll see if my opinion changes once I get closer to completion.

Dark Octave said:
Does anybody else wish the map was three times bigger or are you cool with the size? The cars are so fast that you can go from the east side docks to the west mountains in just two races.

Definitely big enough for me. There is plenty of variety and any bigger and I would never become familiar with the layout.

The first thing I do at the start of a race is hit the back button and pull up the map, and take my time to figure out the best way to approach it. I usually come in first by a good margin, unless I wreck a few times like an idiot (which is far too often).

atomsk

Party Pooper
any advice on the "it's showtime" achievement?

i've got like 2+ mill on east crawford, and nothing!

my friend has like 3.5!

BPK

As someone who very mucn enjoyed Burnout 3 and 4's structured race courses, will I enjoy the racing in Burnout Paradise? As well, is each race course different enough from the last one? I found the one race in the demo extremely bland (minus that hangar you can drive through on the right).

Tiduz

Eurogaime
123rl said:
What does the patch do/fix/update?

Something about problems with Firewalls, in the future if you want to know what a patch does press start ingame and go to the news, they update it i noticed ^^

123rl

Tiduz said:
Something about problems with Firewalls, in the future if you want to know what a patch does press start ingame and go to the news, they update it i noticed ^^

Ok, thanks. I don't have the game yet but I'll probably buckle soon and end up buying it (I didn't enjoy the demo but I love Burnout games)

j-wood

Did the sever deal this morning reset anyone's online stats? It now shows I have 0/350 challengers, and I had like 15 or so last night...:(

distrbnce

Banned
123rl said:
Ok, thanks. I don't have the game yet but I'll probably buckle soon and end up buying it (I didn't enjoy the demo but I love Burnout games)

The only legitimate reason not to buy this game is if you don't like fun.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Dark Octave said:

I think it's a pretty good size right now. I'll say this, though--I can't WAIT to see what they have in store for the sequel to this.

BPK said:
As someone who very mucn enjoyed Burnout 3 and 4's structured race courses, will I enjoy the racing in Burnout Paradise? As well, is each race course different enough from the last one? I found the one race in the demo extremely bland (minus that hangar you can drive through on the right).
It depends. The demo area is probably the most straight and plain area of the city, but the "courses" are very loose. You get a start point, an end point, and you pretty much get to choose how you go about getting from point A to B. The game will suggest a certain route to you (by telling you when to turn), but finding short cuts can and will take significant time off that. Some of the short cuts are awesome, and there is one I took where I litterally jumped off the top of a damn several hundred feet high onto the road below. It was crazy.

Tieno

WHOAguitarninja said:
It depends. The demo area is probably the most straight and plain area of the city, but the "courses" are very loose. You get a start point, an end point, and you pretty much get to choose how you go about getting from point A to B. The game will suggest a certain route to you (by telling you when to turn), but finding short cuts can and will take significant time off that. Some of the short cuts are awesome, and there is one I took where I litterally jumped off the top of a damn several hundred feet high onto the road below. It was crazy.
=( God, can't wait to play it

distrbnce

Banned
WHOAguitarninja said:

I've been looking for this crazy jump at the dam. They've mentioned it a lot on the podcast, but I can't seem to find it. Can you give me a hint?

I thought maybe that area where there are two ramps facing each other but far apart might be it, but I guess not.

WHOAguitarninja said:
Some of the short cuts are awesome, and there is one I took where I litterally jumped off the top of a damn several hundred feet high onto the road below. It was crazy.

damn06.jpg

Gowans

this came out in the UK today, been playing for ages now and got to licecence B. Loving everything about the solo game, the different car classes the races, the city itself. This could be the fave burnout by quite a way. Ill hit online properly later, what i played so far everyone aws just confused dicking around.

Klytus

My PSN name is Dex-Dexter if anyone wants to add little ol' me. I'm a bit out of practice with Burnout, so I'm probably good for a few free takedowns if nothing else :D

Munin said:
I've just played for an hour but somehow I'm not feeling it. I used to be a big fan of Burnout and the whole spontaneous concept of it. But now that they've turned it into a pseudo open world game...I don't know. Maybe I'm getting too old, but I can't even comprehend some of the races. Since the game forces you to check your route for yourself, i.e. looking at the map etc. all while driving at breakneck speed, just doing events randomly is really frustrating. Previous Burnout games were great in always keeping you on the verge of losing control, but this is too much. I just feel confused and unsatisfied, as I can't really concentrate on the driving. And well, they expect me to go look around for ramps and the likes for like two hours before I can pull off stunt events or what?

:/ Maybe I just suck but...I don't think this is working for me.
It's not just you. I love the game but have been deliberately avoiding race events because I hate having to drive while keeping one eye on the map. It's just not Burnout. I much prefer Road Rage events and the handful of races that are a direct route because only in those events do I really get the classic breakneck feel I love about these games.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Evander said:
No clear demarkation of which cars are other racers and which are pedestrians in offline mode.

Wait what? You mean the car selection is like revenge's ? If so thats fucking sad.

People still claiming that it's not Burnout, haha.

If you actually tried to learn the city you'd find that it's designed with the Burnout mentality intact. Learn the main routes and you won't have to keep your eyes glued to the minimap.

I IS Burnout, but with another layer of depth on top of it.

Vashu

This is definately a step into a new direction, but I have to say that I do miss the possibility of creating replays and photo's. I mean, with Halo 3, Resistance, .skate and a lot more games coming with it, it's really missing out. If there is one game that would provide the best footage right now it would be Burnout.

Especially if people crash into each other in the air, those are some pretty awesome sights.

Show Time is fun, but nothing more than that. It's too gimmicky for my taste, and I like gimmicks, go figure.

Oh, and add me to the PS3 list:

Vashu = VashNL

Happy racing!

Shinraven

fistfulofmetal said:
Will selling it mean I'll never have to see you whining like a baby in this thread anymore?

dont start, I already know your angle how criterion cant do no wrong.

I love the burnout series, despite my gripes I still picked it up. I made some valid points which needs to be addressed by these guys. fixing the game with a patch is not too much to ask for my $60.

Im in a good mood today, so i wont tell you to fuck off ...not yet at least ! :lol

Doc Evils

Anyone else feel Rockstar should of used this engine?

The sheer size of the city, the fact there is no loading times and nice graphics @ 60fps puts rockstar to shame.

to bad EA got Criterion Games.

quick question before i pick this up...

can you remap accelerate and brake to X/Square on the PS3 version? ....I hate using the triggers and refuse to play racers this way

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
You guys really should try reading the map prior to the race and devising where you need to be on the road from there. It helped me out a lot.

thank god for the Hyperion car. The Mafioso one couldn't gain speed sans boost much at all, so if I got turned around (a severe problem in Burnout game) it took forever to get right again. whew.

sinnergy

I love this game, I have hardly raced. I am only smashing gates and billboards. Got over 200 gates smashed, great fun. Just cruising the city, on the look out for yellow.

Doc Evils said:
Anyone else feel Rockstar should of used this engine?

The sheer size of the city, the fact there is no loading times and nice graphics @ 60fps puts rockstar to shame.

to bad EA got Criterion Games.

um....apples and oranges friend

distrbnce

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
quick question before i pick this up...

can you remap accelerate and brake to X/Square on the PS3 version? ....I hate using the triggers and refuse to play racers this way

No, you can't. Shame this game isn't for you.

I love the triggers, the precision they offer when braking is perfect.

distrbnce said:
No, you can't. Shame this game isn't for you.

I love the triggers, the precision they offer when braking is perfect.

whaaaa

seriously? ...you can't REMAP THE CONTROLS AT ALL!?

... =*(

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
AgentOtaku said:
whaaaa

seriously? ...you can't REMAP THE CONTROLS AT ALL!?

... =*(

Nope. And that's the #1 thing that pisses me off about the game, it stops me from wanting it :lol

besada

Banned
Vashu said:
but I have to say that I do miss the possibility of creating replays and photo's.

Vashu said:
but I have to say that I do miss the possibility of creating replays and photo's.

Vashu said:

Vashu said:

QMTFMFTAWYG.

Guys, it's got a fantastic engine for crashes. I get that. But I do not need to spend 5-10 seconds looking at how stupid I am every single time I crash. Patch me the option to not have to see the slow motion bit. Pwease.

Man I am having such a love/hate relationship with this game. In so many ways it's the best Burnout I've ever played. In others, it's just.... nnnnnggggg!

You should only ever lose a Burnout race because you (a) weren't fast enough, (b) weren't aggressive enough, or (c) crashed too many times. Not because (d) you GOT FUCKING LOST.

Slaylock

Do Burning Routes count toward the license requirements? If so, wouldn't it be wise to put off doing them until trying to get the harder licenses.

Oh, and here are some maps that might be helpful:

Map 1
Map 2
Map 3

Proc

Gary Whitta said:
The city actually reminds me a lot of Stilwater from Saints Row.

I thought the same from the demo actually. Jump in saints row multiplayer would be awesome!

distrbnce

Banned
Slaylock said:
Do Burning Routes count toward the license requirements? If so, wouldn't it be wise to put off doing them until trying to get the harder licenses.

Yes, they count.

And that's a pretty good idea. I dunno, I'm doin' 'em anyway whenever I get a new car.

Though I wonder if Burning Routes reset like all the other events when you license up...

Slaylock

distrbnce said:
Though I wonder if Burning Routes reset like all the other events when you license up...
They don't, which is why I think it might be wise to wait to get them. The last license requires 110 wins, so the more ways to get those wins the better.

Gowans

Just finished a far too long online session.

Spent so long trying to barrel roll through the hanging fuselage on the air field, finally did it tho.

Also I just want to say FOUR GOD DAMN BARREL ROLLS and landed woooooO!!!!!...

Top Bottom