• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

besada

Banned
Gowans007 said:
Just finished a far too long online session.

Spent so long trying to barrel roll through the hanging fuselage on the air field, finally did it tho.

Also I just want to say FOUR GOD DAMN BARREL ROLLS and landed woooooO!!!!!...

Tomorrow. You and me (and whoever else) must engage in insane crashing super fun. It is mandatory to the survival of the species.

besada

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Still need some help with the Stunt Runs if anyone can assist. I'm having trouble racking up big points, any pointers?

Stunt car. Lots of jumps. Billboards.

Most of the Stunt Runs point you in a direction with easily exploitable jumps at the start.

Between jumps and stunts, goose the boost when you see the combo counter running down.

Gowans

besada said:
Tomorrow. You and me (and whoever else) must engage in insane crashing super fun. It is mandatory to the survival of the species.

it is on!

gonna unlock some new cars later tonight ready for it

Citizenship said:
The game is so, so good. Everyone owe it to himself to at least renting it -the demo is crapshit compared to the finished product.

Anyway, a wallpaper I have done hours ago: http://unseencolors.com/upload/burnoutparadise-wallpaper-1.jpg

+ I can do bigger\smaller versions for those in need.
thank you! that's the desktop image I've been waiting for. I adjusted it for my own purposes but still, thanks!
h3ro said:
1920x1200 por favor! :D
because I was at the computer and doing my own anyway...

right - http://www.geocities.com/allegate/burnoutparadise-wallpaper-1920a.jpg

left - http://www.geocities.com/allegate/burnoutparadise-wallpaper-1920b.jpg

calder

Oni Jazar said:
Just got this from Gamefly, is there no options screen? I want to raise the music volume
Yes, the pause screen is a bit cluttered as it has all those screens for your stats and stuff. Use L1/R1 or the bumpers on 360 to get to the options screen, you can set voip, sound and music volumes separately.

Captain N

Oni Jazar said:
Just got this from Gamefly, is there no options screen? I want to raise the music volume

you should be able to press start and either R1 or one of the bumpers depending on the system.

Gary Whitta said:
Still need some help with the Stunt Runs if anyone can assist. I'm having trouble racking up big points, any pointers?

Use a stunt car and you can always keep in going by boosting or driving in reverse. Get to the west side of the big bridge on the South Side Expressway, and gun it. You'll pick up a multiplier of 7 or 8 just with the jumps and billboards on the bridge, even more if you throw in a flat spin. Veer right and keep jumping through billboards on the boardwalks and you'll be in the hundreds of thousands in no time. Keep it going with drifts and turbos and and you'll get to a million for the achievement in no time. Just make sure not to go too fast that you lose control.

I'm having problems getting the 20x Burnout. I tried the stadium trick mentioned earlier in the thread but I kept losing my multiplier at 3x or 4x when the boost meter would only partially refill. Are there any easier places than the interstate to get this one done?

Tip for anyone with their A license - the Gamestop car is a GREAT, GREAT stunt car.

purg3

slept with Malkin
dammitmattt said:
I'm having problems getting the 20x Burnout. I tried the stadium trick mentioned earlier in the thread but I kept losing my multiplier at 3x or 4x when the boost meter would only partially refill. Are there any easier places than the interstate to get this one done?

Tip for anyone with their A license - the Gamestop car is a GREAT, GREAT stunt car.

I was having the same problem at first, you have to continuously tap the brake while drifting in in a circle. Otherwise it will think you are in one long drift and the boost bonus will drop down to nothing.

And which gamestop car?, there are two of them.

two? wha? there's only one code so, uh...huh?

if you're referring to the Steel Wheels code, that isn't GS exclusive. It is a car you get for pre-ordering the game and was available anywhere you could pre-order the game.

Oni Jazar

calder said:
Yes, the pause screen is a bit cluttered as it has all those screens for your stats and stuff. Use L1/R1 or the bumpers on 360 to get to the options screen, you can set voip, sound and music volumes separately.

Thanks guys!

atomsk

Party Pooper
Slaylock said:
Do Burning Routes count toward the license requirements? If so, wouldn't it be wise to put off doing them until trying to get the harder licenses.

Oh, and here are some maps that might be helpful:

Map 1
Map 2
Map 3

i've got 5 more events i need to discover. much appreciated!

bune duggy said:
that last map looks like it was scanned from something. Anyone happen to know what that something was so I don't have to take this file to kinkos? :)

It's the reverse side of the 360 version box cover - On my PAL version anyway.

Erebus

Got it today and totally love it! It's more addictive than I expected. :D

Just one question, does the game support global servers on PS3 (US version owner VS EU version owner)?

Just got my Burnout license, woot! It also unlocks (with the codes) the Wal-Mart and Circuit City cars. Can't wait to try them both, the Wal-Mart car is a
F1 open-wheel racer
while the CC car is
an old-fashioned hot-rod

Echoes

I really would like to play online with some of you, guys. Since my 360 is nowhere around me now I'd appreciate it if you add me (thanks :D). GT: Kenji 42

Sean said:
burnoutboostx20achie6dab8.png

If anyone needs this achievement (Boosting Around the World) I found a really simple way to get it.

You are awarded a car called the Carson Fastback once you earn your Class B License. Bring it to the Wildcats Baseball Stadium and boost while drifting in circles. You'll start creating a burnout chain and it'll be easy to keep continuing it since there are no other cars that you'd be able to hit.

It takes like a minute or two at most and there is even a gas station right near one of the entrances to max out your boost if you need it.

Ok. I cannot get this to work. I'm doing fine, boosting and drifting along, and I get up to x3 burnout and then when that one runs out it does not refill so I have to start over. Any idea why it won't refill after the third?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Why are Car Parks marked on that second map? Are they necessary for something?

And i needed to know where my 5th garage was, thanks!

h3ro

Iamthegamer said:
Why are Car Parks marked on that second map? Are they necessary for something?

And i needed to know where my 5th garage was, thanks!

I think there is an Achievement/Award for finding them all...

I think I'm finally starting to "get it"... the races are coming easier... unlocking that Jansen wanna be Countach didn't hurt either! :D

Just some quick questions:

Has anyone scored 20 consecutive burnouts? If so, what car did you use and whereabouts in Paradise City did you start/end the run?

Has anyone scored 1 million points in stunt challenge? Same follow-up questions.

Subjective question: Whats your favorite type of boost meter - ie, which one do you find the most success with?

Subjective question: Whats your favorite car for each event type - ie, which one do you find the most success with?

Do you find the 'turn here' indicators that pop up during races to be more annoying than helpful, or is it just me?

Was ranked 150th XBL last I checked, if anyone wants to get together and race, PM me your gamertag.

purg3

slept with Malkin
MaizeRage25 said:
Ok. I cannot get this to work. I'm doing fine, boosting and drifting along, and I get up to x3 burnout and then when that one runs out it does not refill so I have to start over. Any idea why it won't refill after the third?

What I posted a few spots up the page...

purg3 said:
I was having the same problem at first, you have to continuously tap the brake while drifting in in a circle. Otherwise it will think you are in one long drift and the boost bonus will drop down to nothing.

And which gamestop car?, there are two of them.

As long as you continuously tap the brake while drifting, the burnout chain will continue to increase.

Aladuf

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:
The Jansen P12 is so amazing. Especially it's Track Package counterpart.

Is that the one you were using tonight? Because whatever that thing you had is, it was pretty bad ass... I had a HARD time trying to take you down.:lol

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
there's a particular race, i think from the city to the country club, where the turn signal goes on way early and when you turn before the road, you get caught on the train tracks which you can not get off at all for a long ass time, meaning you lost the race. Anybody run into this design hitch? It gets me everytime, because I begin drifting in the turn direction as soon as I see the flashing turn sign.

Iamthegamer said:
there's a particular race, i think from the city to the country club, where the turn signal goes on way early and when you turn before the road, you get caught on the train tracks which you can not get off at all for a long ass time, meaning you lost the race. Anybody run into this design hitch? It gets me everytime, because I begin drifting in the turn direction as soon as I see the flashing turn sign.

I've had this happen to me more than once where the blinking signal takes me WAY off course.

Aladuf23 said:
Is that the one you were using tonight? Because whatever that thing you had is, it was pretty bad ass... I had a HARD time trying to take you down.:lol

Indeed, Jansen P12 Track Package.

It's small, grippy, and lightning fast. Only problem is that it sucks for Road Rage events. Thing is as delicate as a piece of tissue paper.

Aladuf

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:
Indeed, Jansen P12 Track Package.

It's small, grippy, and lightning fast. Only problem is that it sucks for Road Rage events. Thing is as delicate as a piece of tissue paper.

It sure is grippy, me and Dot50Cal were noticing how that thing could turn on a dime. Seeing it in action makes me want to get to a higher rank in single player so I can unlock it... right now I'm in the B class license do you unlock it in that class or do you have to have a better license?

Aladuf23 said:
It sure is grippy, me and Dot50Cal were noticing how that thing could turn on a dime. Seeing it in action makes me want to get to a higher rank in single player so I can unlock it... right now I'm in the B class license do you unlock it in that class or do you have to have a better license?

It's one of the cars you gotta shut down, but I can't remember exactly when it shows up. Some time later in Class B, early Class A probably.

Aladuf

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:
It's one of the cars you gotta shut down, but I can't remember exactly when it shows up. Some time later in Class B, early Class A probably.

Cool, time to blow through Cass B!

Bebpo

Banned
Ok, I picked this up and put a few hours in. Here's my impressions.

-When the devs said a "race at every intersection" I thought they meant I could actually drive to the nearest intersection and RACE after finishing a previous one. But I swear like 50% of the intersections I drive by are "race for only 1 specific car" :\

-When you collect a bunch of cars and then go to the junkyard why do you have to sit through the dropping of each one :(

-Game structure:
A. Seen it all. One of the biggest draws in a good racing game is to keep getting further and unlock new locales/tracks. But here you can literally see the entire map and every street in the first 1-2 hours. I think this kills some of the advancement interest.
B. Mapping. Since they give you the entire map and half map or more races straight from the start, for a while you aren't going to know the map and by driving over huge amounts of ground you're not going to learn the track either. So basically you have to keep glancing at your mini-map or hug the sides of the world map, which lessons the fun.

-How could game structure have been better? IIRC, in SSX3 the way it worked was you did a portion of the mountain, another portion of the mountain and then eventually the entire thing. This way by the time you did the big full mountain run you would have learned the individual parts within it and could combine your knowledge. Seeing as there's 4-6 districts in BP, I think it would've been much better if you started with only access to one and then as your license ranked up you got access to the next one, then the next one, etc... and the races would go from just being within 1 to covering multiple districts and eventually the whole map. That way the player would have learned the areas individually and be able to put that knowledge together for multiple district runs. Plus it would give the excitement of opening a new area and checking that out.

-Showtime is actually better than I thought. I thought it would be terrible, but it's pretty fun and somewhat close to the old crash modes. The difference is that Showtime is way too easy and goes on for far too long because of it. After a few times of doing it I have no interest in ever doing it again because it's just the same thing every time.

-The wreck physics seem wacky sometimes. Your car seems far more fragile than Revenge and sometimes I will hit a wall at an angle where I will shoulder it to slow myself down and I'll wreck! Even though other times I won't. I mean if you were going 200+ mph and like 2% of your headlight scrapped a parked car I don't think your car would do 10 flips and wreck out in real physics. Then again I've never tried that in real life.

-The graphics are gorgeous, the sound is great, and the control is spot on. BP reminds me of online gaming: There's always something to do but it's generally a lot of the same stuff over the same locations and there's no real eventual goal to it like there is for SP.

It's fun and I think it's a good experimental game. I understand that devs are humans and don't want to keep doing the same thing over and over. They want to keep trying new and exciting things and BP is just that. I think it's a successful experiment even if I don't think it's necessarily a step forward for the franchise. I feel that I'll get $60 worth of fun out of it, though at the same time because of the game structure I can't imagine I'd still be playing the game in a week...which is fine for me since I just wanted a fun game until DMC4 and Disgaea3 hit next week.

Sean

Banned
MaizeRage25 said:
Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it does not work even if I'm tapping the break. Must not be doing it right.

Don't tap the break, because if you're doing that and your burnout meter depletes while your finger is not on the trigger it's not going to fill up again and you won't get another chain. You're going to want to hold it down and never let go so you are constantly drifting in circles around the baseball field (the drifting is what refills your burnout meter and you'll have to continuously do that to build up a burnout chain).

Basically here are the steps to the trick:
1) Fill up your boost meter at the gas station drive-thru right nearby
2) Stop your car near the entrance of the stadium
3) Boost inside and then drift (L trigger) in a large circle around the field
4) You're going to be holding down four buttons at once (RT for the gas, A button for the boost, LT for the drifting, and analog stick pointed to the right or left).

I hope this helps.

Top Bottom