• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Tieno

BenjaminBirdie said:
Aw man I need to get this don't I...

DAMN YOU, 360 PEER PRESSURE!!!
Benji, it's calling for you. The cars, they look so good...don't they? So shiny...so pretty...so fast. The city is so big too. Give in Benji, you know you want to.

ScarlettJohansson.jpg

Tieno said:
Benji, it's calling for you. The cars, they look so good...don't they? So shiny...so pretty...so fast. The city is so big too. Give in Benji, you know you want to.

ScarlettJohansson.jpg

Don't go and kill my boner with Bovine Cowhansson.

(No, like, in the literal fashion. Her face is actually like a cow's. It has nothing to do with her weight.)

I've just realized something. In the beginning, I was really struggling with the racing in this game. Navigation was a real chore, getting lost was an almost every race event, wrecking because I took my eyes off the road to look at the map was far too common. The thing is since racing was the only event type I was really struggling with I became completely obsessed with improving. Before I know it became my absolute favorite event type. I'm actually familiar with several sections of the city and I can now ignore the turn signal and street sign indicators in those locations. Getting lost is no longer an issue and I'm not terrified of short cuts. I looked at my stats and they tell the story. I've won:

59 races
6 road rages
8 marked man events
1 burning route
11 stunt runs

The game is amazing, unfortunately the racing requires a certain amount of devotion that many aren't looking for in an arcade racer. I think that is where the controversy exists. Many people were hoping for a pick up and play type experience and to get the most out of Paradise you can't just do that.

Sasquatch

Is anybody else totally ignoring the stunt events? I just got my B license and I haven't done a single one. I know I'll have to do some eventually, but everything else just seems like it is more fun.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The presentation is so awesome! I love how it is always updating you on record times, record scores, giving you hints on where to turn (and the blinker sound is so awesome), framing the action from awesome camera angles, etc.

kitch9

Banned
I love the intensity of the in-car view, but I feel I'm missing something if I don't use the behind car view......

It doing my fucking head in, and I can't decide which I like best.......

birdman

I'm made the plunge, with strong convincing from Aladuf. Just picked up the PS3 version and I'm gonna try and show (most of you) up Showtime style.

My PSN is Birdman98.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Just got the EU (Italian) version of the game and WTF it doesn't have English language option?!?

My XMB is set to English so that games defaut to that language (I HATE playing games in any other language other than the original one since localization sucks ass) but with Burnout Pradise it starts in French cos there is no English! I can play it in Italian by switching system language accordingly but FUCK ME if I'm ever going to do that. NOT. A. CHANCE.

Gesus fucking christ. First COD4 (only language available: Italian). Now Burnout Paradise. With all the space on the Blu-Ray disc they c&p the language choices of the DVD/360 versions. WHY?! WHY?!?!

Now I have to sell this and order the UK version from play.com.

Thank you idiots.

/rant

TTP said:
Just got the EU (Italian) version of the game and WTF it doesn't have English language option?!?

My XMB is set to English so that games defaut to that language (I HATE playing games in any other language other than the original one since localization sucks ass) but with Burnout Pradise it starts in French cos there is no English! I can play it in Italian by switching system language accordingly but FUCK ME if I'm ever going to do that. NOT. A. CHANCE.

Gesus fucking christ. First COD4 (only language available: Italian). Now Burnout Paradise. With all the space on the Blu-Ray disc they c&p the language choices of the DVD/360 versions. WHY?! WHY?!?!

Thank you idiots.

/rant
Doesn't EA do this all the time? I know they do it for EA Sports titles.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Hey if anybody wants to do the challenges, preferrably the four and up player ones, add me. QVT. We're trying to get those higher challenges right now, all very decent players too.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Sasquatch said:
Is anybody else totally ignoring the stunt events? I just got my B license and I haven't done a single one. I know I'll have to do some eventually, but everything else just seems like it is more fun.

All I did was racing and burning routes until late in my A license. To break through to paradise I had to do some road rages. Did the same thing for Paradise. Now I've got about 18 wins left for the Elite license and almost all of them are stunt runs... which I'm hopeless at.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I haven't been doing any burning routes, marked man, or stunt runs much at all. Not really my forte, but IU know I'll have to do them sometime :-/

Tieno

TTP said:

Thank you idiots.

/rant
Wow, I'm glad I ordered the US version and not the JP version.

calder

Got my class B last night, have 13 cars I think. I love the stunt cars, use them for everything as I just can't get used to the boost limits of the speed cars.

In those takedown missions I kinda go overboard too, they are so easy when you get on a freeway or something and I end up with 4 or 5 times the number of takedowns needed. There was one though that was hard out of nowhere, I had to drive carefully to get past 6 and ended up with 7.

All the stunt runs are still extremely simple at class B though, usually get the goal on my first run with 1-2 minutes to spare. The races are pretty hit and miss, I failed a few lately as the difficulty has ramped up.

Mmmkay

Y2Kev said:
I just had a god run where I got 34 takedowns when 5 was required :D

so awesome
I got up to something like 65 and then gave up, when I only needed 5. ;)

I was sad when I found there wasn't an achievement for 50 takedowns. ;_;

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Is it me, or does it seem as if a lot of people haven't bothered to set online times and crash scores at all on many streets? I was cruising around last night with road rules turned on to check the time and scores for various streets and most of them were still empty. I did set a bunch of crash scores though.

birdman

Mmmkay said:
I got up to something like 65 and then gave up, when I only needed 5. ;)

I was sad when I found there wasn't an achievement for 50 takedowns. ;_;

Same here. I really expected 50 takedowns to be achievement worthy.

Just did a 2.95 million point stunt run and almost got much higher than that. It ended cuz i got myself stuck and couldn't boost but I still had a pretty good set of "good spots" left to hit. Maybe I'll try and beat that later.

I've been focusing on stunt runs so far (I've done nearly all of them on my A license...only 2 left). I've also been hitting lots of burning roots. I have hardly done any marked man ones.

If anyone wants to do some challenges let me know. My PSN name is WHOAguitarninja...I'll prolly be back on in a couple hours.

SpeedingUptoStop

birdman said:
Same here. I really expected 50 takedowns to be achievement worthy.
I'm fairly certain I got upwards of 80 takedowns on Bo:R. they're a bit harder now without aftertouch, or multiple takedowns at the same time. seriously, what's the deal with not having multiple simultaneous takedowns anymore? lame.

Xun

I really don't know why some people still have an issue with the framerate of the 360 version, apart from the occasional framerate drop it's practically perfect.

Also as I said, if anyone is up for a few games tonight I'm really up for it.

Bebpo

Banned
Sasquatch said:

Stunt events are the only thing I'm doing. I don't like the racing too much since I don't know the street layout, and I mainly play Burnout to drive real fast and take jumps and do flips and stuff.

Bebpo

Banned
Maybe one of you guys who plays a lot of 7 player games with gaffers can add me.

PSN - bebpojp

Last night when I was playing only 1 person on my friends list was playing BP and since the stupid friend list limit is 50, I only have like 2-3 spots to add people left after deleting some people.

QVT

1. Non customizable controls is bullshit and every game that has them should be boycotted. Wont be, but come the fuck on. You could change the controls in SNES games.

2. Not allowing you to quit races is probably this games biggest flaw. Drops it at least an entire point score from a 9.9 to an 8.9 for me. Why the fuck do I want to spend a fucking half hour following your useless navigation system? Just let me quit and try another race.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Burnout has really deliberate auto-pilot after a takedown camera, and its quite annoying. Too bad you can't turn them off.

ChryZ

TTP said:

Thank you idiots.

/rant
I feel your pain and even called EA's support line on top of this mess! :mad:

I was able to move my copy to a coworker and ordered an us/na version.

Damn you, Criterion!

h3ro

AgentOtaku said:
yeah even the PS3 demo had DTS like Uncharted

It sounds AMAZING in 5.1! It actually feels like pieces of debris are flying over my head when I drive through lights/crates/barrelllzz etc...

I'm a noob when it comes to surround sound systems as I just put my system in, but what is considered "better", Dolby Dig or DTS 5.1? I ask because most of my games on PS3 are read as Dolby D on my Receiver and BP is the only one in DTS...

Thanks in advance!

Bebpo, I'm away from my PS3 now, but shoot me an invite, I cleared out space on my list... my PSN ID is m0nkeyhero

h3ro said:
It sounds AMAZING in 5.1! It actually feels like pieces of debris are flying over my head when I drive through lights/crates/barrelllzz etc...

I'm a noob when it comes to surround sound systems as I just put my system in, but what is considered "better", Dolby Dig or DTS 5.1? I ask because most of my games on PS3 are read as Dolby D on my Receiver and BP is the only one in DTS...

Thanks in advance!

Bebpo, I'm away from my PS3 now, but shoot me an invite, I cleared out space on my list... my PSN ID is m0nkeyhero

DTS >>> regulard ol' DD5.1

DarkKyo

Bebpo said:
Stunt events are the only thing I'm doing. I don't like the racing too much since I don't know the street layout, and I mainly play Burnout to drive real fast and take jumps and do flips and stuff.
Same. Races are hard. I prefer Marked man and stuff like that.

TxdoHawk

Kaijima said:
Is it me, or does it seem as if a lot of people haven't bothered to set online times and crash scores at all on many streets? I was cruising around last night with road rules turned on to check the time and scores for various streets and most of them were still empty. I did set a bunch of crash scores though.

If I remember correctly, Road Rules only takes your friend list into account, not the whole world.

Doc Evils

I was playing with a friend and a person called pridegirlie owned us in a race. her mug shot showed it was a woman.

women play ps3 lulz. ps I like that girlfriend song :(

Mmmkay

QVT said:
2. Not allowing you to quit races is probably this games biggest flaw. Drops it at least an entire point score from a 9.9 to an 8.9 for me. Why the fuck do I want to spend a fucking half hour following your useless navigation system? Just let me quit and try another race.
Just start showtime.

Although, that then highlights a niggle I have, in that if you accidentally trigger showtime it can take quite a while for you to return to the game even if you just sit there.

[edit] To add: I really don't like that there are no circuit races.

Andokuky

Banned
Holy crap is there really no Road Rage mode for online play? That's like releasing UT with no CTF mode. RETARDED. I probably would have rented if I knew that :lol

h3ro

QVT said:

Just hold down your brake for a few seconds.. it quits you out of the race.
Super cool rad DJ atomicasshole told me that about four hours into the game... after I did it by my self by mistake for the first time.:lol

SpeedingUptoStop

dj atomica doesn't bother me much at all. Not nearly as annoying as in Revenge.

can you burn cd-r's to your 360? I want custom tracks, but I don't know how to put them in there. The best I could do is stream windows media center outside of the game, which took forever to load.

QVT

h3ro said:
Just hold down your brake for a few seconds.. it quits you out of the race.
Super cool rad DJ atomicasshole told me that about four hours into the game... after I did it by my self by mistake for the first time.:lol

Fucking sweet, Probably NNG GOTY then.

Top Bottom