• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

well looks like I am gonna pick this up anyway....the 360 sku

reasons:

- Custom soundtracks
- 360 Triggers >>>>>>>> PS3 Triggers
- Achievements (gives me something to work for...could care less about score)

...yeah Live isn't free but I don't ever really play online anyway

my son fucking loooooves this game :D

birdman

AgentOtaku said:
well looks like I am gonna pick this up anyway....the 360 sku

reasons:

- Custom soundtracks
- 360 Triggers >>>>>>>> PS3 Triggers
- Achievements (gives me something to work for...could care less about score)

...yeah Live isn't free but I don't ever really play online anyway

my son fucking loooooves this game :D

PS3 has them too, as has been stated before.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
FTWer said:
So what's the final word on the PS3/360 comparisons?

Any version has the advantage techinally?

Two best, most correct (and also most anal, considering that the game looks pretty close on both) comparisons I've seen so far are:

http://insider.ign.com/articles/846/846534p4.html

IGN said:
Burnout Paradise is an amazing technical feat and looks great on both systems. The absence of loading screens, the rock solid framerate, the detail on car models, and the sheer speed at which everything is rendered is a stunning achievement. That being said, there are some small but noticeable differences that make the PS3 the clear choice in this category. You'll notice that while colors seem a little more subdued on the PS3 (we were playing with identical screen brightness settings), there is generally a bit more detail in the environments, especially in town with lots of objects being rendered in a comparatively small area.

Likewise, the draw distance is a little cleaner and more distinct in the PS3 version. The 360 version also has a fair amount of pop-in, especially with distant objects. I also found cars in traffic would sometimes add-in a last layer of texture detail as I got closer to them in the 360 version. There's some pop-in in the PS3 version too, but generally speaking, it's much less noticeable, restricted to a tree or some bushes in the background. The PS3 had the slight edge in lighting effects in as well, with some interesting refraction or glint happening at almost all times on your car model, while the 360's lighting seems a little less pronounced.

While both versions of the game run at rock solid framerates, it did seem like the PS3's was a little bit faster, running silky smooth at high speeds. The 360 version is an admirable production but the framerate does seem slightly slower than the PS3's, with an occasional hitch at high speeds. This isn't something to be too concerned about as both version look and feel great at top speed, and most people probably won't ever see a difference unless switching back and forth on an HD monitor. Also, some people may actually prefer the overall look of the 360 version because colors seem to pop a little more brightly from the screen, but otherwise, the game is just a bit more detailed, smoother, and better lit on the PS3. Both versions really do look great, but the edge has to go to the PS3 here.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9426672&postcount=356

memecomplex said:
Ok so I bought the Xbox 360 version because I read here that it's much improved over the demo... and guess what, it is. Slowdowns are not as obvious anymore, but hasn't gone away completely either. It's still there, but better disguised. For e.g when you're boosting, you can't really tell the framerate drops because screen is shaking and what not, but you do get to feel the input lag that comes with a framerate drop. But it is very slight tho, and most people won't notice. Maybe this is due to the Xbox having to stream in data from disc as opposed to having the demo installed on the PS3 hard disk. But possible streaming issues aside, there is the occasional slowdown when you try and execute certain maneuvers, such as a flatspin - as you pull the handbrake and the car starts to spin, the game will chug a little every now and then.

But there are certain spots in which you can recreate a slowdown everytime; like the building under construction at the beach area. Run up to the ramp on the opposite end of the superjump and do a flatspin at the end of the jump to see some significant chugging. There's none of this engine choking business at this same point in the PS3 demo. So yeah for all you folks who think that both version run as well; well they don't. The PS3 demo runs smoother than the retail 360 version. It's pretty much unflappable framerate-wise. And in a game like Burnout where 60fps control and feel is all important, it may be the deciding factor for you.

Lastly, the 360 version is much jaggier and somewhat blurrier - details like hotel signs can be much more aliased and hard to make out in comparison to the PS3 version. I may be wrong, but it seems like the 360 version may just be running at a slightly lower resolution. Edit: Did more tests, and some things look jaggier on the PS3 and better on the Xbox, so not a question of resolution.Both are pretty much the same.

I'm not qualified to comment on sound as my amp is not hdmi ready. But in comparing hdmi audio output through my tv, the PS3 also seems to have clearer sound and effects.

Nothing much to add there, except that X360 version supports custom soundtracks and PS3 version doesn't, and that PS3 version supports in-game friends list/messaging, which is worth a mention because not many games do.

C4Lukins

birdman said:
PS3 has them too, as has been stated before.

Those are just pretend achievements. Until the PS3 gets a unified system down, the whole appeal of achievements does not really exist on it.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I've never been so wrong on a game before. This game fucking OWNS.

The time road rules: are they global or just your friends list or what? I just go the watt achievement-- what exactly did I do?

Remy

That's the second time I've had my game ended for a nebulous "you lost connection to the Burnout servers" error; sigh. Apologies to those I was playing with.

Anyhow, here's the video I caught of CJ's sparks glitch. Insert PS3/more sparks joke here.

http://www.vimeo.com/639797

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
To my fucking surprise I got the game today!!!! I will get down on it tomorrow so yeah! I still cannot believe it! BTW again PSN ID: Alfred-abomb

Woo-Fu

Banned
C4Lukins said:
Those are just pretend achievements. Until the PS3 gets a unified system down, the whole appeal of achievements does not really exist on it.

Oh, you mean the part where you rub e-peens together before measuring them? Whatever.

I am 13 wins from an Elite license. Unfortunately all of them are stunt runs.

Mrbob

I just figured out showtime tonight. It is very cool. :D

I usually hate racing games, but this game is too much fun. If I get stuck on events I go mess around the city.

Oh and the Dual Shock 3 is very nice with the game. Even nicer is the fact I don't get any controller drops anymore, woo!

Mrbob said:
I just figured out showtime tonight. It is very cool. :D
Oh and the Dual Shock 3 is very nice with the game. Even nicer is the fact I don't get any controller drops anymore, woo!
More and more the DS3 seems like one of the best gaming purchases I did last year, its so good in the game.
Anyhow, here's the video I caught of CJ's sparks glitch. Insert PS3/more sparks joke here.
Oh so *thats* why you parked there, lol. I thought you were just waiting for whoever else needed to contribute to the challenge, so i parked right next to you.
Any other games going or should i try and host one for shiggles and see who wants to join?

Both versions were totally sold out at my Best Buy today. Looks like this might be a big hit.

Also, landed a 444-degree flat spin off a cliff this evening. It felt gooooood.

Everdred

Ugh this game was great until you get to the final events to get your burnout elite license. I just want to retry sooo badly :(

JaseMath

Label said:
IMO the Best burnout game in the series, and I have loved and completed every burnout game since the series started. Holy shit it is just so much fun just driving around doing nothing.

So many challenges (though the game is a bit too easy..)

My favourite part is having no retry, because normally I always retry races till I comlete them, but having no retry makes the game flow so damn well. I am always hopping around from one event to another and then taking down the new cars racing around the city!

You can quit races by just stopping your car for two seconds, and that instantly quits the race or challenge.

Holy shit...! I've actually been entering Showtime or just shutting the game off completely b/c I thought you had to drudge through events you knew you were going to lose, regardless. :lol I knew there wasn't a "Restart", but I was seriously getting so frustrated at the lack of a "Give Up" option.

I thought it was an oversight. Thanks for the (probably well-known) tip! :D

JasonMCG said:
Holy shit...! I've actually been entering Showtime or just shutting the game off completely b/c I thought you had to drudge through events you knew you were going to lose, regardless. :lol I knew there wasn't a "Restart", but I was seriously getting so frustrated at the lack of a "Give Up" option.

I thought it was an oversight. Thanks for the (probably well-known) tip! :D

DJ Atomica actually informed me I could do this, but that was after I did it. How very helpful of him.

cjdunn

Remy said:
That's the second time I've had my game ended for a nebulous "you lost connection to the Burnout servers" error; sigh. Apologies to those I was playing with.

http://www.vimeo.com/639797

Oh muh garsh, I R on TV! :lol

Anyway, I saw none of that. A couple of other drivers were mildly jumpy but no sparks.

Weird.

Bebpo

Banned
One thing I really like is how vertically the city is designed. A single inch on the map may be made up of an underground, street level, freeway, and maybe even something on top of that and most of the time you can freely jump up or fall down between them. The city is very well designed and one of the best sandbox cities I've seen.

One thing I don't like about the city layout is how like 1/3rd of the races end on the left mountain half of the map and yet there's hardly any events in the mountains. So everytime you finish a race over there you get to spend 5 mins driving back to the city to do a new event. It's the one time I wish there was a warp option. It's especially bad when you lose the race and you're like "wow, why the heck did I just drive all the way out here just to drive all the way back?". They needed either way more event start points in the mountains or way less race end points there.

Sean

Banned
Are the takedowns inconsistent for anyone else?

I'll hit someone and it just says "<gamertag> crashed" (like my car somehow doesn't do shit but their car magically crashes on its own). But when they hit me it shows up as a takedown. Sometimes it will show up as a takedown though. I don't understand, getting kinda frustrating.

OatmealMu

Sean said:
Are the takedowns inconsistent for anyone else?

I'll hit someone and it just says "<gamertag> crashed" (like my car somehow doesn't do shit but their car magically crashes on its own). But when they hit me it shows up as a takedown.

Are you boosting when you smash into them?

Sean

Banned
OatmealMu said:
Are you boosting when you smash into them?

No matter how I hit them (boosting or not boosting, hitting them from the front/back/side) nothing works. It just doesn't seem to be registering as a takedown at all.. maybe it shows up like that on their screen but on mine it just says "John crashes" or something.

Was thinking this is some kinda 'host advantage' thing? I dunno.

OatmealMu

At least in the demo I noticed a definite host advantage. During one game in particular, the host whaled on me the entire round. Nine times out of ten, I'd just bounce off him when trying to crash his car. I did manage get a few takedowns on him, fortunately, but it was obvious he had an advantage over me.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
DevelopmentArrested said:
25 hours played.
40% done.
500/1000 achievement points

25 hours already? You, sir, are hardcore.

C4Lukins

Woo-Fu said:
Oh, you mean the part where you rub e-peens together before measuring them? Whatever.

I am 13 wins from an Elite license. Unfortunately all of them are stunt runs.

Who said anything about rubbing penises together? Is that what you think happens on Live? I certainly would not pay 50 dollars a year for that feature. And hell, I just got my A license. My penis must be half the size of yours, if even.

Munin

Uhm, question. Where are the Showtime events? I think I've just upgraded my license to B and I haven't come across a single Showtime event. Is there any special place for them or anything? :/

Pharmacy

Banned
Despite the lack of custom soundtracks on the PS3 version and not being able to restart races, I've gotta say this is an awesome way to start 2008 videogame wise

Xun

Munin said:
Uhm, question. Where are the Showtime events? I think I've just upgraded my license to B and I haven't come across a single Showtime event. Is there any special place for them or anything? :/
There are no events, since you can do it anywhere. Yes, ANYWHERE.

Press L1/R2 or LB/RB and you'll go straight into it.

Munin

Oh! Alright, thanks. Will try that.

But yeah things like this and the give up thing through stopping kinda remind me of Mass Effect. There seems to be quite a bit of stuff you are never told or can easily miss. :/

OatmealMu

Has anyone else managed to launch themselves into oblivion? A few minutes ago I finished a race that ended near the baseball stadium. During the rankings screen, the AI that momentarily takes control of your car somehow managed to clip through the map. When it gave me back control, I was floating falling beneath the map. Very colorful actually, and an impressive draw distance down there, too.

I'm amazed at how many times the AI has managed to put my car in stupid places after a race. It really likes to turn the car left. I don't know why Criterion doesn't pause the game during the results screen instead.

Woo-Fu

Banned
C4Lukins said:
Who said anything about rubbing penises together? Is that what you think happens on Live? I certainly would not pay 50 dollars a year for that feature. And hell, I just got my A license. My penis must be half the size of yours, if even.

You did. You were talking about how the PS3 achievements weren't real. Well the only practical difference between the two is the ability to compare achievements outside of the game.

If you aren't rubbing e-peens then you would find the achievements on ps3 just as fulfilling as those on 360...

Kolgar

Woo-Fu said:
You did. You were talking about how the PS3 achievements weren't real. Well the only practical difference between the two is the ability to compare achievements outside of the game.

If you aren't rubbing e-peens then you would find the achievements on ps3 just as fulfilling as those on 360...

I agree it's different. The 360 achievements are a life-to-date accomplishment and there's nothing comparable, yet, for PS3. If you want to call it an e-peen war, fine, but part of the allure of gaming is competition--bragging rights--and that's what achievements are about.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Kolgar said:
If you want to call it an e-peen war, fine, but part of the allure of gaming for kids is competition--bragging rights--and that's what achievements are about.

Fixed.

My friends have never mentioned there scores or achievements, ever. We play games for entertainment, like reading a book or watching a movie. Then again we are over 30 and have more important things to bitch about.

Anyone know how to quit out of a race that you start and don't want to finish?

Munin said:
Oh! Alright, thanks. Will try that.

But yeah things like this and the give up thing through stopping kinda remind me of Mass Effect. There seems to be quite a bit of stuff you are never told or can easily miss. :/
OR you could check out the paragraph in the manual that explains it. :)

Every year should start off with an awesome open-city game. Last year we had Crackdown, now we have this. I just spent 15+ minutes on a race because I got "distracted". Nailed a ton of Super Jumps and Billboards though.

so how I play showtime? Do I have to be online? I've got my C-license and I haven't come across it yet.

EDIT: Also, I dig the soundtrack.

markom58

Neo Member
Wasnt really planning on getting the game but a friend wanted to play on Live so I purchased the it. Jumped into online almost immediately and thought the challenges were decent. Suprisingly the offline component is a lot more robust and I am enjoying that a lot more. Although it could be that I am missing something from the online challenges. Nevertheless, I am glad to have picked up the game. Even just crashing is so much fun :D

doogles said:
Every year should start off with an awesome open-city game. Last year we had Crackdown, now we have this. I just spent 15+ minutes on a race because I got "distracted". Nailed a ton of Super Jumps and Billboards though.

so how I play showtime? Do I have to be online? I've got my C-license and I haven't come across it yet.

EDIT: Also, I dig the soundtrack.
Just press RB or LB (or both, I'm not sure) (on 360) to start Showtime mode anywhere. I agree, soundtrack is pretty good so far.

Top Bottom