• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

DarkUSS said:
Indeed. It's completely different from the old Crash Mode but still enjoyable.

One thing that is a bit surprising is that out of the 3 most recent Burnout games, this one features the least in the way of pyrotechnics, but then on the other hand the crash detail is so ridiculously high that it makes the absence of big explosions kind of alright.

I just got finished with 4 hours straight playtime. I had to quit finally because cars were disappearing during showtime. You know how annoying it is to eek out a last little bit of boost only to have the bus disappear right when you're about to hit it?! Controller almost went flying through the television. I found all of the drive-thru's and all of the parking garages, though. I'm about 15 away from all the smashes too.

still can't find the airfield and I lost the file that had the locations circled. oh well, off to search the thread for it.

edit: noticed a few of my crash records going down while I was playing (allegate). oh well, there's plenty of roads left.

Gowans007 said:
Another night going to sleep late,

Great games with some gaffers again, a tonne of challenges getting crossed off the list. Far too may barrel rolls done in the old airfield tho :lol

I'm claiming Ultimate King of Burnout Stunts
Gary Whitta gets Ultimate King of Racing for his epic run on race round the world
And QVT Burnout Takedown Bastard!

good games with the rest of you guys, think Maize got a mill take downs on me too.

Loving the Track P12
now for sleeps zzz

Great fun tonite, Gowans. I will freely admit you are the King of Jumping Through the Fuselage. I'm usually pretty decent at it but it took me something like 15 attempts that last time we did it.

Aladuf23 said:
We need more races later... I was doing better tonight, I actually won a couple of individual races.:D

I wish there was a 'See how many times you can crash during a single race' mode.. SO I COULD DESTROY YOU WITH MY CRASHING ABILITIES.
Dammit.

Kyoufu

Sense of speed in this game is amazing.

There is a section where you can ride underneath a bridge where it goes up and under a few times, felt like F-Zero!

Is 240 cars in Showtime good? I was almost glad it finally ended cause it was getting kind of tedious. There's really not a whole lot of skill involved, you just katamari away and hope for the best. But it's a reasonably entertaining distraction I guess.

Kyoufu said:
Sense of speed in this game is amazing.

There is a section where you can ride underneath a bridge where it goes up and under a few times, felt like F-Zero!
that's a good section for the stunt run right by there. The stunt run points you North but if you turn East towards that section and hit all of the ramps (plus billboards) you get x2 for each jump for a end result of x6 bonus to your score. Just don't turn around and do it again because the game hates that...keeps you honest by telling you you're repeating tricks.

devilchicken said:
I wish there was a 'See how many times you can crash during a single race' mode.. SO I COULD DESTROY YOU WITH MY CRASHING ABILITIES.
Dammit.

There are some crashes that are so spectacular that you think they should damned well give you some award for them. :lol

Iceyburnz

Remy said:
I'm down day one on the PS3.

Anyone in the NYC area know if our usual favorite shop got this in early?

I dont know of the usual nyc favorite shop that gets things in early.. :( Could someone PM me the name of the shop?

tha_con

Banned
VibratingDonkey said:
Is 240 cars in Showtime good? I was almost glad it finally ended cause it was getting kind of tedious. There's really not a whole lot of skill involved, you just katamari away and hope for the best. But it's a reasonably entertaining distraction I guess.

It's amazing fun when you're online with a bunch of people on the same road all competing to get a high score.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Named takedown king w00t.

Whitta you still playing? I think I'm going to unlock some new cars but if you really wanted to do more challenges... maybe some more barrel rolls? :D

OatmealMu

Me and my baby blue cruiser are calling it a night. Much fun was had. Many middle fingers were pointed my way.

11ub5hv.gif

QVT said:
Named takedown king w00t.

Whitta you still playing? I think I'm going to unlock some new cars but if you really wanted to do more challenges... maybe some more barrel rolls? :D
I'll jump back in for a bit...

dkeane

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Same. I wrote it off after the demo, but decided to rent it to give it another chance. Then I bought it. I am 100% in love with this game.
Really, I 've fallen i love with this game.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Two issues that the open world messes the Burnout franchise up a bit:

90 degree turns. I realized earlier today that this was a frequent problem for me. I don't think previous burnouts featured 90 degree turns. This is pretty frustrating to deal with, especially when flying up a hill. it kills all the momentum because you practically have to hit the brakes instead of drifting (unless you can hit a drift perfect enough that you miss all the cars around the corner that you don't know are there) and that not really that great for a burnout game. they keep 90 degree turns to a minimum often, but its still an issue I'm not too accostomed to.

You can "cheat" at Road rage. Previous incarnations made sure you kept driving in a linear direction on the map, and they gave you the inclination to do it fast. Now, if I make it to the appropriate road (such as the southern bridge with rail road over it and the 3 medians used for jumps) I can take my leisure time love tapping cars into walls (given i'm driving an aggression car). Kind of takes the fun out of it, but it's necessary when the Takedown scores get way too high (do they have a cap or do they escalate forever?). This takes some fun out of it, and given the risky nature of Class A or higher, with pedestrians driving across medians to get you, it's almost necessary to "cheat" this way.

Those are just two very un-burnout things i noticed that kind of bother me.

Aladuf

Banned
hey birdman, do you want to do some power parking challenges later? I just need to make sure to put aside an hour or two per challenge!! :lol :lol I'm just giving you a hard time!

birdman

Aladuf23 said:
hey birdman, do you want to do some power parking challenges later? I just need to make sure to put aside an hour or two per challenge!! :lol :lol I'm just giving you a hard time!

I'll only need a few minutes if I remind myself not to use a DAMN VAN to power park ever again. Why did I have to take the hard way...

Kyoufu

That challenge where you have to jump through the red hangar hoop took me fucking forever lol

My friends were getting frustrated more than I was :D

I am down to 1 burning route and this one is going to be a huge pain in the ass. Restarting won't be much of a problem. It's straight forward and short but insanely difficult. If anyone else is at this point they know what I'm talking about. The difficulty sky rockets and you need to be absolutely perfect. Bastards.

Oh yeah and I started the night with only 3 complete. I played for 4 1/2 straight hours and now I have 34 burning routes complete. I have a problem.

"Hi, I'm Jake and I'm a Burnout-aholic."

Agent X

I finally unwrapped my copy of the game earlier tonight. So far, I'd have to agree with the overall sentiment that the game is much better than the demo. I was playing the single-player mode for about 3 1/2 hours, trying various events and exploring the big city. :D I'll probably wait another day or two before I venture online (just want to get more familiar with the game first).

birdman

OatmealMu said:
I actually died and was reincarnated in the time it took for Birdman to do the flatspin challenge.

Man, am I getting burned tonight. Well, it's all fun and games till one of you take an hour to barrel roll successfully, then I'LL be the one laughing. HA! Ha! ha!...ha..............ha

h3ro

I couldn't care less about GOTY... all I know is that this game is ridiculously fun and is one of the best purchases I've made in this generation of consoles...

Woo-Fu

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Its too early to say what GOTY will be, but as far as racing games go, I can't think of any other that will top Burnout this year.

Fortunately your ability to think of Gran Turismo isn't required for its existence. :)

calder

Got my class A tonight, slowly chipping away at the gates/billboards and finding everything. Only have 20 barriers left, about 30 billboards and a couple of drive throughs and events to find.

I looked at the Road Rules stuff for the first time today, saw Jazar in there with a best time for one of the roads, thought that was cool because it was on my ticker when I was just rolling around. Hilariously enough I did Showtime one time and somehow that score is still the highest (2 and a half million in some tunnel) on PSN, I guess not a lot of people are doing the Road Rules yet.

I don't even have half the cars yet and already there are some sick, sick rides to choose from. I'd like to play online more with you guys but I get in that SP unlocking shit mode and it's tough to stop, even when there are 4 or 5 of you playing.

Top Bottom