• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

I think I have it too. Possibly from the first time I ever did a takedown online.

This is lame. I really like the game but the achievements are a big part in pushing me to do stuff I wouldn't usually do. Now I'm just going through events and barely exploring.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
TheGreatDave said:
I think I have it too. Possibly from the first time I ever did a takedown online.

This is lame. I really like the game but the achievements are a big part in pushing me to do stuff I wouldn't usually do. Now I'm just going through events and barely exploring.

I'm enjoying the exploring because the way you do events I find irritating, especially as I only have a handful of cars.

"To do this burning route you need this car"

I am cry.

I've done...maybe 3 burning routes so far. Just because I happened to land there in the right car. That's a stupid design decision, of which the game has many. I can love it even if it is a little retarded though.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
TheGreatDave said:
I've done...maybe 3 burning routes so far. Just because I happened to land there in the right car. That's a stupid design decision, of which the game has many. I can love it even if it is a little retarded though.

I think that and the no-insta-restart are the two big killers, but like Skate. I think EA have pretty much nailed the genre shut with this iteration, especially with the genius that is the online mode.

An option to just switch vehicle anywhere should be patchable... I'd probably pay for that kind of feature :lol

Remy

TheGreatDave said:

I was having the same problem, and then I realized how Criterion had designed it.

Get in a car you haven't done a burning route on yet. Look at your radar. Do you see an orange event marker with a star on it on the side of your mini-map? That's the one you have to go to.

I think the idea is to have you rotate through your cars and intentionally seek them out, instead of the random floating between race/road rage/stunt run/marked man events.

TheGreatDave said:

The burning route events are going to frustrate me to no end. I would like to complete all events but I see the lack of a restart option really becoming a serious problem when I only have burning route events left.

dkeane

Felix Lighter said:
The burning route events are going to frustrate me to no end. I would like to complete all events but I see the lack of a restart option really becoming a serious problem when I only have burning route events left.
You should do the burning routes as you go along, they pop out on your map when you're in the appropriate car, makes it easy. I found them to be all easy minus one of the GT cars. If you leave them all until the end you'll end up hating them.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
OatmealMu said:
2mnoos4.jpg

Denogginizer in awe of my skillz. Well, either that or he's mad because I screwed up another Challenge.

:lol :lol

I am surprised more of my ham isn't on here.

studio810 said:
You should do the burning routes as you go along, they pop out on your map when you're in the appropriate car, makes it easy. I found them to be all easy minus one of the GT cars. If you leave them all until the end you'll end up hating them.

Too late. I've only done a few but I'm getting close to the end. The few I've completed, I was able to complete my first try but just last night I was using a car you get later in the game and decided to try it's burning route. I failed twice and gave up because some friends wanted to do some of the online challenges. The burning route had a 1:50 time limit and it is very long, which means there are a lot of opportunities to make a mistake. You have to be perfect so once you make that first mistake you just want to restart but that drive back is very discouraging.

h3ro

I'll be on for a bit during the day if anyone wants to do some challenges, hopefully I'll be able to play tonight with the rest of you...

Some questions:

1. Does the lap time for Burning Routes decrease as your License level goes up? Reason being I was going to save most of the laps for when I have to get my Elite license and want to make sure I don't have to do impossible times...

2. You unlock a carbon fiber version of the Ikaruga GT if you set all the Road Rules times for every street. How on earth do you do that?!

JdFoX187

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
Is anybody else having problems with achievements? On the pause screen it says I've got all Auto Repairs, Gas Stations, Paint Shops and Junk yards, but I haven't got the Shopaholic achievement. And I just manually went to every single parking lot in the game and I still don't have the Pay and Display achievement.

This could seriously cripple my fun...
You have to find the parking spots as well. When I found the last one, I got the two achievements.

atomsk

Party Pooper
the "it's showtime" achievement is still broken for me. the street is listed as gold, and i still don't have it =(

Aladuf23 said:
You need to find yourself a cheap bluetooth headset sometime so we can hear from you. Also, I would have made more races but the guys were busy getting their smashes and billboards so I didn't want to cockblock them. :lol Good racing night though. (also, I'm getting closer to you with those races... 2nd place that one race, WATCH OUT!)

Blah at bluetooth headsets. I'm gonna get a cheap USB mic this weekend probably.

McBradders said:
I think that and the no-insta-restart are the two big killers, but like Skate. I think EA have pretty much nailed the genre shut with this iteration, especially with the genius that is the online mode.

An option to just switch vehicle anywhere should be patchable... I'd probably pay for that kind of feature :lol
Yes. Assuming load time can be less than 50-60 seconds, I think, it should have been designed like this:

- Whenever race is finished, press RB/R1 within fix time limit if you want to retry.
- Anytime on the map, if you press LB/L1, it should bring up car selection.

Both features might add loading but we get best of both world. People who do not want loading will keep playing as they are now. I would pay for this patch.

I don't understand why there are a lot of people complaining about the design of this game.

I don't see the problem with it...I personally love it...I hated in past burnouts where it was a Medal/Grading system, In arcade racing games, it's unnecessary...With this system, you either win or you lose...And it's so fun just driving around the environment that it makes you learn the map...I love it.

birdman

OatmealMu said:
You sure it's not the sound of you crashing into him that you're hearing? Crunching metal sounds a bit like static.

Definitely not. When I've talked in the PS3 chat room with others I can tell a huge difference between USB and Bluetooth. A bit of the same with Burnout.

BeeDog

I have a European edition of Burnout Paradise, and the sponsor codes from the first page won't work. Are there any sponsor codes at all for this version, and if yes, could some kind European please post them?

I just love doing challenges. Maybe it is my OCD-ness, but I just feel like I have to complete them all. In fact, QVT and I knocked out all of the 2P challenges last nite, barrel-rolling through the fuselage with the greatest of ease.

Kyoufu said:
Is this game actually worth getting or is it a shallow Need For Speed Carbon experience? Thats the vibe I was getting off the demo.

I'd be playing this for the online. Frantic races?

The demo was great. Showed you pretty much what the game is going to be like. Those of you who did a 180 after getting the retail version, how did that happen?

Woo-Fu

Banned
h3ro said:
1. Does the lap time for Burning Routes decrease as your License level goes up? Reason being I was going to save most of the laps for when I have to get my Elite license and want to make sure I don't have to do impossible times...

2. You unlock a carbon fiber version of the Ikaruga GT if you set all the Road Rules times for every street. How on earth do you do that?!

1. No. You do burning routes once to unlock a car variant. These events don't reset on a license upgrade. My advice is to save these easy events for when you are working on your Burnout license.

2. You hit up on the d-pad and drive down every street as fast as you can. The times are not hard to beat in a stunt or speed car, as long as you can avoid running into things. I did all of them at once, took me about 2-3 hours. People just starting the game should make sure they hit up on the d-pad before doing any backtracking to restart an event, that way you can knock out the time road rules during normal play.

Finally got the elite license today. 500k score stunt runs with 45 second time limits are a pain in the ass.

Woo-Fu

Banned
atomsk said:
the "it's showtime" achievement is still broken for me. the street is listed as gold, and i still don't have it =(

I had this happen to me for time road rules. All I had to do was exit the game to XMB and then start it again, the road that looked done but wasn't really done reverted to red.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Woo-Fu said:
I had this happen to me for time road rules. All I had to do was exit the game to XMB and then start it again, the road that looked one but wasn't really done reverted to red.

360 version =(

Woo-Fu

Banned
oneHeero said:
So which version is the best? Ps3/360

PS3, but in most cases seemingly not by enough of a margin to sway people who have a larger group of friends on Live than they do on PSN.

oneHeero said:
So which version is the best? Ps3/360

Strictly based on the way the game runs and looks the PS3 version has a slight edge. The differences are pretty minuscule, so chances are that other factors and preferences are more important when choosing the version you would like to buy.

Funny, from previous posts of yours I've read I wouldn't think you would be all that interested in the Xbox 360 version regardless of how well it runs.

Woo-Fu said:
PS3, but in most cases seemingly not by enough of a margin to sway people who have a larger group of friends on Live than they do on PSN.

That is the only reason I bought the Xbox 360 version. I only have one friend on PSN, a coworker, and 30 or so friends on Xbox Live, most of whom are real life friends. I was really torn but after a friend of mine called me and said he bought the game, my decision was made.

AltogetherAndrews said:
It's almost ridiculous how much better this game is than any other game ever

It really is. I've played over 30 hours already, which is absolute insanity considering I've had it for a week. I'm frighteningly addicted to this game.

got to play a lot this morning. Did a few Showtime events, got my B license, unlocked 3 new cars, and found almost all of the Smash gates. Tons of fun and I love the immersion you get when the game update with offline scores from other people playing the game.

h3ro said:
Tap right on the D-Pad, go to Road Rules, turn on Time. You're not beating the top time in the world, you're beating a developer time. Still won't be easy.

dskillzhtown said:
I take the wrong shortcut...alot.
I got distracted on the train tracks this one time. :lol

h3ro

AltogetherAndrews said:

Seriously QFT.

I've had it for four days now and last night I swore I had a dream where I was cursing at my self for missing a smash gate that lead to my last billboard... freaky stuff man... freaky stuff...

AlphaTwo00 said:
Isuka? Not Ikaruga, hopefully.

Oops, wrong made up Japanese car name... :D

Felix Lighter said:
It really is. I've played over 30 hours already, which is absolute insanity considering I've had it for a week. I'm frighteningly addicted to this game.

It really is Crackdown only seven hundred times faster and more gorgeous. Every single Smash Williams Route I open is a new, unique, and awesome looking shortcut, every car unlock is a glistening and beautiful ride.

Just a phenomenally addicting and awesome game.

Echoes

Anyone caught the virus?

59takedown-paradise.jpg

That makes you wanna takedown as many cars as you can, and ENJOYING IT! :D it feels SO GOOD.

I just have a Q about barrel rolls, how do I do them exactly? I don't know but, each time I run through one of them my car spin halfway through and then crashes back. I don't know what to do precisely. Any help would be much appreciated.

MaizeRage25 said:
Advice: Don't be host. If you stop to select a challenge you will get destroyed by your online 'friends'.

Yes, I'm looking at you QVT and Eric WK.

And it's HIGHLY annoying that it takes you out of the challenge menu to show the wreck.

Aladuf

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:

Truth! The day after I bought it I all of a sudden woke up at 6 am (I went to sleep at 3 am after many hours of Burnout) and just said "I've gotta play Burnout":lol

dammitmattt said:
And it's HIGHLY annoying that it takes you out of the challenge menu to show the wreck.

Yes, at the very least it should keep you in the menu, so you can quickly select a challenge and get revenge.

Top Bottom