• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
for those of you that love the game, and burnout in general, this is my first full burnout game. i played and somewhat enjoyed the burnout revenge demo, but do you think after playing paradise and loving it that i would be wise to double back and play revenge? i really can't get enough of this game right now, and i'm curious what exactly i've been missing out on. is there a lot more to the older burnout games than just racing/taking down cars?

It's really quite different, but also very good. In its own way. The biggest difference is the aftertouch system; being able to somewhat control your car after a crash and attempt to steer it into competitors in order to score aftertouch takedowns. It's a bit like a limited version of showtime, but in a race. In Revenge there is also a crashbreaker system, meaning if you crash around competitors, you can blow up your vehicle and take them down that way. And of course there is the dedicated crash mode which I personally prefer to the Showtime mode in Paradise.

OatmealMu

25sqwiv.jpg

Managed to get my golden shaggin' wagon inside the ring. I was enjoying the view when someone came barreling through and took me out. Until I find out who it was, I'm taking my anger out on monkey.

Jonsoncao

Banned
i am so wet by the screensaver

some of my favorite classical pieces

like Dvorak's from the new world 2nd movement

and Mozart's Serenade concerto

even both Moonlight pieces by Debussy and Beethoven

Agent X

BenjaminBirdie said:
God this game's awesomeness is almost criminal. I'm still on B License and I took a break from my ongoing attempts to Rule All Roads and try some races. Which ended up a bit frustrating.

Oh no! How can I have fun now?

Oh wait, I'll go back to Road Ruling for three fucking hours.

Well done, Burnout. Well. Done.

That's exactly what I was doing yesterday. I got hooked on Road Rules, even trying to knock down some of my buddies' best records. Remy and Beatbox have some tough ones, but I was able to topple a few of them. :)

Remy said:
These complaints bring up an interesting point.

The "closed world" Burnout games had Crash Mode - set pieces, with no variation.
Paradise, the "open world" Burnout, has Showtime, essentially an improv crash mode. You say where and when, and off you go.

The "closed world" Burnout games had closed race circuits, forcing you to go around this turn this way, and that turn that way. There's little choice, outside of some shortcuts.
Paradise, the "open world" Burnout, has open race circuits. You learn the roads and you make your own mental map of where the shortcuts are.

So, to answer:

Those things wouldn't have fit, stylistically, with the open world game they were trying to make.

And honestly, I'm enjoying Paradise more than I did Takedown or Revenge because of it.

I agree with "open world" racing. I haven't had much problem adapting to the city map. I still make some errors in judgment here and there, but it wasn't as bad as I initially feared.

I somewhat disagree on the lack of Crash mode. I've warmed up to Showtime mode, which I thought was going to be corny and busted in terms of gameplay. It turned out to be great fun.

That said, I do miss Crash mode and some of the well-designed crash junctions of past games. Showtime is fun to play, but good scoring opportunities are a bit random (particularly hitting buses for multipliers). Sometimes I feel like I got a great score because I lucked out. Crash mode, on the other hand, is more controlled and doesn't have the same randomness factor, so every win feels like a true accomplishment.

calder

Got my Burnout license earlier, now to grind on elite for a while lol. Getting the Burning Route for the 500GT was just brutal, I have so much trouble with any races that go around the lake. Finally got it by racing conservatively and barely using boost.

I have 4 barriers left and I think 4 or 5 billboards. Surprisingly I have 10 jumps left, I assumed I'd find them easily and never really went around looking but apparently not. I'm afraid at least some I think I got but due to crashes or being in events I didn't get credit, that'd be a pain to go back and redo them all.

Most maddening is that I have 1 drive through not found. How is that shit even possible!?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
So far I /am/ preferring Paradise to Revenge on the whole, and do feel it's an honest evolution of the Burnout concept. I do like Showtime better, in concept, than the closed-circuit crash mode, but I think the real problem is they didn't go far enough.

For instance, the open world could have taken advantage of Showtime by having special crash opportunities at certain times - say, every 2 hours in game time, a train could pull into a certain station, then at still another time of day, when the train for that time was there, /other/ special events could be happening... basically if you showed up at the right moment, you could ambush a sweet combination of circumstances for a Showtime massacre.

Showtime is great, but there just needs to be more to take advantage of it.

Otherwise, I'm all over Paradise. At most, it could use a couple more kinds of events; spread across 120, there's not that much variety really, though it's still a blast to play. I'm also with other folks in feeling that the stunt mode here is a lot better than attempts at car stunt runs in other games. Somehow, the kinds of stunts and such you do in Paradise fit better and do not feel as contrived, and thus a distraction, from the core gameplay. Honestly most of the stuff you do for stunts is shit any creative player is doing /anyway/ while just screwing around in the game.

It it also remarkably polished and I'm tickled by the fact that such a huge open world game runs slammed at 60fps 99% of the time during gameplay. The stutters and hiccups from section streaming and choke points is so rare, that for my eyes it least, it took me hours of play to realize when it was happening.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Remy said:
Hey PS3 players - if you're on the friends list of any of the following folks:

RemyVJA
Therealbookey
OatmealMu
devil_chicken
aaron_lc
Captain_N
ChryZ-US

...we've got a 7 player game friends-only open and could use one more to start knocking out the 8-player challenges.

I was glad I hopped online with you guys (I'm RedWingLion) as I hadn't actually seen this post.

I literally had the most fun I've had with a game ever with this group. Non-stop chaos and fun. On a side note, sorry I was the last one to complete that jump through the gray barrel at the airfield. I kept jumping over the damn thing.

OatmealMu--seeing your van parked inside the barrel was hilarious. Who eventually knocked you out of there? I tried, but couldn't get there in time.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just figured I'd come out and say it:

I was wrong about this game. I thought the demo was pure garbage but still went ahead and bought the game on blind faith.

It is SO much better than any other Burnout game. I hope Criterion keeps the open world for the next one--I can't wait to see what new areas they have up their sleeve.

Thanks for the help, I was able to get the burn chain going (using the Hydra) at the airport runway, I couldn't get more than a x3 at the stadium or at the cement circle park for some reason.

thanks again :)

Remy said:
Hey PS3 players - if you're on the friends list of any of the following folks:

RemyVJA
Therealbookey
OatmealMu
devil_chicken
aaron_lc
Captain_N
ChryZ-US

...we've got a 7 player game friends-only open and could use one more to start knocking out the 8-player challenges.
that was a ton of fun, sorry I had to leave. As I said, my son is potty-training and I had to take care of that. Got the "dad, my tummy is full of pee" call.
OatmealMu said:
25sqwiv.jpg

Managed to get my golden shaggin' wagon inside the ring. I was enjoying the view when someone came barreling through and took me out. Until I find out who it was, I'm taking my anger out on monkey.
I was in the air when I saw your van. I somehow managed to miss it completely (coughhorribledrivingcough:lol) but then I saw someone hit you. Don't remember who, though.

noticed there's a billboard in the quarry. how do you hit it? there are no ramps near it. Do you have to fall on it from above or something?

and you do get credit for things in events, it's just a smaller notification (in the lower left corner of the screen).

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
AltogetherAndrews said:
It's really quite different, but also very good. In its own way. The biggest difference is the aftertouch system; being able to somewhat control your car after a crash and attempt to steer it into competitors in order to score aftertouch takedowns. It's a bit like a limited version of showtime, but in a race. In Revenge there is also a crashbreaker system, meaning if you crash around competitors, you can blow up your vehicle and take them down that way. And of course there is the dedicated crash mode which I personally prefer to the Showtime mode in Paradise.

thanks man. ordered.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Im on my Class A License, but Im finding it really hard to continue playing with my favorite car. All the other cars are way faster now :( Can anyone suggest a good replacement? I've been using the Watson R Turbo Roadster which has excellent handling. Are there any better cars that have good handling?

Aladuf

Banned
Dot50Cal said:
Im on my Class A License, but Im finding it really hard to continue playing with my favorite car. All the other cars are way faster now :( Can anyone suggest a good replacement? I've been using the Watson R Turbo Roadster which has excellent handling. Are there any better cars that have good handling?

P12, or even better the P12 Track Package (just do the P12's Burning Route to get it) it handles so damn well.

Remy

OatmealMu said:
25sqwiv.jpg

Wasn't me, I have an alibi!

2241145778_8ddc0b6dcc.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
you know, i'm really surprised cops don't play some part in this game. in particular i'm thinking of the "marked man" events, where you being cast as a dangerous threat to paradise city and being pursued by desperate cops would make a lot more sense than the sort of conceit-less state it's in now. in addition, rather than d.j. atomica just popping on to tell you a new car is roaming paradise city for you to take down, if there were some kind of police band that you could be automatically tapped into mentioning some rogue insane driver the police are after, that would again make a lot more sense. just a thought, i suppose

Woo-Fu

Banned
Airport is on the east side of the lake. You'll see a quadrangle of woods on the map and in the ne corner is a junkyard. The entry to the airport is just south of the junkyard, on the upper side of the split road. There is a big sign, can't miss it.

ChryZ

OatmealMu said:
http://i27.tinypic.com/25sqwiv.jpg

:lol

Yeah, that was pretty awesome. I stopped my car, switched to 3rd person view, aligned the cam with the right stick and enjoyed the show.

Such hilarious display of mayhem, good times!

Sean

Banned
Has anyone had a glitch where the Afterburner challenge (where you have to boost while barrel rolling from Read lane to railroad below) doesn't register? Have completed that challenge already once before but now it's not working anymore...

- Tried boosting the whole road
- Tried boosting in mid-air during the barrel roll
- Did one barrel roll, a double barrel roll, triple barrel roll
- Tried each ramp (left one and right one
- Landed on the railroad every time

Yet it doesn't want to work for me for some reason. Pisses me off. The same exact kind of Afterburner challenge over at the Rockridge Dam works 100% fine but this one doesn't. I don't get it.

Tieno

If anyone wants to add me: PSN= Tieno
I need some Burnout players.
Woo-Fu said:
Airport is on the east side of the lake. You'll see a quadrangle of woods on the map and in the ne corner is a junkyard. The entry to the airport is just south of the junkyard, on the upper side of the split road. There is a big sign, can't miss it.
I just found it through an online challenge! So good. Some amazing jumps, though barrel rolling through the ring is hard, always land on the crane or the ring.

Timan

Developer
Sean said:
Has anyone had a glitch where the Afterburner challenge (where you have to boost while barrel rolling from Read lane to railroad below) doesn't register? Have completed that challenge already once before but now it's not working anymore...

- Tried boosting the whole road
- Tried boosting in mid-air during the barrel roll
- Did one barrel roll, a double barrel roll, triple barrel roll
- Tried each ramp (left one and right one
- Landed on the railroad every time

Yet it doesn't want to work for me for some reason. Pisses me off. The same exact kind of Afterburner challenge over at the Rockridge Dam works 100% fine but this one doesn't. I don't get it.

Someone just doesn't know how to boost correctly :lol

elseanio

I can't seem to get the French code working on my PAL (UK) version. Changed the system language too, still no result.

This game is the most fun I've had online in a while. Some of the most basic of tasks, like going over a certain jump backwards, turn into pure chaos as 8 people all try at the same time :lol We also have races to get to the 'red dot' when doing challenges. As my mate says, the challenges are where the fun is at. Racing online demands too much concentration and is much less enjoyable.

Aladuf

Banned
AlphaTwo00 said:
Pretty much any standard webcam should work.

I know that the PS2 Eyetoy
, and the 360 Vision cam both work on the PS3.

Sweet the eye toy works?! I want a camera but I don't feel like dishing out $40 for one now and I've seen the eye toy pretty cheap at Gamestop.

Tieno

Seems my camera isn't compatible. :(

I was tired of dumbfucks screwing up the challenges or not doing any so I hosted my first game and this way I could kick the ones who weren't playing along. As soon as I had 8 people I locked the room to invite only. After a half hour only 3 were left (including me): kicked 2 people and 3 quit. I think we did 3p challenges for more than 2 hours and everyone was very helpful. All great fun, found the quary this way too. Love how the later challenges take you all over paradise city.

Wizpig

Dear GAF, do you play in 3rd or 1st person view?
In the Burnout games, i always thought 3rd person was shit, it's just unplayable for me.

birdman

OatmealMu said:
25sqwiv.jpg

You should do some power parking in that van.

Aladuf

Banned
Wizpig said:
In the Burnout games, i always thought 3rd person was shit, it's just unplayable for me.

3rd person always, I tried 1st person once for this game and it just doesn't work for me.

besada

Banned
Third person for everything but races. For Marked Man/Road Rage/Stunt I like to be able to see behind myself, but for racing I like 1st person.

Oni Jazar

besada said:
Third person for everything but races. For Marked Man/Road Rage/Stunt I like to be able to see behind myself, but for racing I like 1st person.

Same here. I wish I could raise the viewpoint a little higher in 3rd Person though.

Oni Jazar said:
Same here. I wish I could raise the viewpoint a little higher in 3rd Person though.
That totally depends on the car.

Avoid the GT 2400 like a plague. I almost got motion sickness because how low the car sits.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
solid2snake said:
god, what have they done with Burnout? i hate this free roaming city. get back to the Burnout 3 formula!

it's funny how adding "-aic" to a word can totally change the connotation. if they'd kept going the same direction with each iteration, rest assured you would have gotten sick of it. burnout paradise is disgustingly good.

keyrat

Wizpig said:

I prefer racing in first person, but the camera they put is so low to the ground that on hills it's just horrible 'cause you can't see what's coming ahead. it'd be great if they put it a little higher, like where the hood is (but don't put the hood cause it's always breaking).

Top Bottom