• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Sean

Banned
w00t got all billboards, smashes, and super jumps. Only 44% completed though, haha.

I guess I gotta start doing some more single player stuff now, have been mostly doing online freeburn challenges.

Gary Whitta said:
* What THE FUCK is with AI oncoming traffic turning INTO you as you drive past? What possible design/world reason could there be for that? Sure it makes the game tougher but in a really cheap and unrealistic way. Am I supposed to believe that the residents of Paradise City are now so pissed by my antics they're deliberately crashing into me? Or that they panic every time they see me but they just always happen to swerve the wrong way? Either way I call bullshit on this design choice.

I was just about to post this, that shit is REALLY annoying. It's completely stupid and unrealistic to see a car driving straight at such slow speeds like that and then all of a sudden swerve into you on purpose. If they are gonna add crap like that, at least make it a police car or something who is trying to stop you for speeding so it's easier to spot and avoid - or only the cars that you need to "shutdown".

I bet some douchebag in Criterion added AI behavior that to show off the crash physics even more or something... probably the same reason we can't disable the takedown cam anymore.

Yagharek

How the hell did EA get the soundtrack so right for this game. Brilliant.

Only thing missing is some Queens of the Stone Age (Go with the flow) which was my perennial Burnout 2 victory-inspiring song.

quetz67

Banned
Just got the full version and I must say I hate it.

"Dont like" would be the wrong word, I played a few hours and much to often I wanted to put my fist in some of the game designer's teeth.

I hate driving around to find a race, then to get told I need a different car and when finding a race the colors/lighting make it hard for me to make out things, at crossings I either take the wrong way (race lost) or crash into something (race lost probably).

Winning a race I only feel relief I can check off another one rather than any real satisfaction. I miss the achievment of unlocking new countries/tracks, most races feel the same as often they cover all different enviroments, all end at the same well known locations and the city feels small to me though it actually isnt.

I can understand the hardcore like the game, memorizing all stuff, getting high scores etc., but as a casual gamer I waste MUCH too MUCH time to get into the race I want. And I never liked skate games or the like where you do stunts to earn points.

For me this is the death of the Burnout series, it may be a great game to those who like what it does, but as long as they dont split the series into a classic and open ended one this is the last one I bought (and already put on ebay).

nofi

quetz67 said:
Just got the full version and I must say I hate it.

I disagree (on a personal level) with most of your issues with the game, but you're right: this is nothing like previous Burnouts and they've changed the mechanics so much it really should have been released under a different name. Criterion never quite regained the heightened sense of tension that the first two games offered, and Paradise is so distilled and spread out over so many genres it's like a totally new game.

quetz67

Banned
nofi said:
I disagree (on a personal level) with most of your issues with the game, but you're right: this is nothing like previous Burnouts and they've changed the mechanics so much it really should have been released under a different name. Criterion never quite regained the heightened sense of tension that the first two games offered, and Paradise is so distilled and spread out over so many genres it's like a totally new game.
The concept isnt that bad, but why dont making it more casual friendly, some noob modes would have really helped. Right now I use about three times as much time finding a race than I use racing. I played most burnouts and wasnt too bad at it, but now I crash into about every available corner. The increased detail makes it much more difficult to make out stuff, but instead of giving some more guidance there is none at all, neither the compass nor the map is any help to me.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Christ, I thought after I beat the B license I'd get a Burnout one. Now I have to do 40 freaking missions? What the hell :\

BeeDog

Me so happy right now, found all the gates, billboards and jumps. The carbon cars are pretty damn swell.

But what the hell, are some people here (PS3 gamers) anti-social? I'm looking at you Andrews and Dot50Cal :lol , never accepting any invites to game a bit online. At least revoke the invites if you don't wanna play. ;p

Dot50Cal

Banned
BeeDog said:
Me so happy right now, found all the gates, billboards and jumps. The carbon cars are pretty damn swell.

But what the hell, are some people here (PS3 gamers) anti-social? I'm looking at you Andrews and Dot50Cal :lol , never accepting any invites to game a bit online. At least revoke the invites if you don't wanna play. ;p

I did revoke you, 3 damn times! You made me crash during a race with your filthy invite! Im trying to upgrade my licenses, and the freeburn online crap doesnt count towards that for some reason. I need more single player time damnit!

BeeDog

Haha, sorry. :lol The thing is, when I sent the invites, it still said "revoke invite" for me, and I did revoke them myself before I entered some races. Didn't see anything from your end. :S

keyrat

nofi said:

It's the next-gen Burnout. Anything else and it wouldn't have seemed new enough.

The only issue that really gets me is when you try and take an alternate route and crash, and then the game starts you pointed in the direction it thinks you want to go, instead of the direction you were going.

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to ge tthe free car codes to work, but not one of them seems to work on my European PAL version. Any codes that have been confirmed to work on the european version?

h3ro

Banzaiaap said:
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to ge tthe free car codes to work, but not one of them seems to work on my European PAL version. Any codes that have been confirmed to work on the european version?

The store codes (BestBuy, Circuit City, etc won't work on PAL units). The Steel Wheels code should work. Try some of the different versions of the Steel Wheels codes flying around.

quetz67 said:
So every racing game has to switch to free roam now to qualify as next gen?

Do you even own Paradise? In order to have Criterion evolve the series they had to go with an open world. Instead of just menu based racing, everything is seamless which is a breat of fresh air in a Burnout game. You take one racing challenege, and more often than not when you get to the finish there is another challenge waiting in that area. You can drive around break gates, and hit super jumps to take out billboards. There is always something to do. Half the time I play Paradise I'm messing around and I'll end up at an event that I can do without trying to get there in the first place.

I'll even give some examples that made me believe in the open world racing, I was doing a Marked Man event, and I was one takedown away from losing, but I was able to keep them off of me and find a garage to fix my car up and I won. Another time I was doing a race, and was able to hit a gas station to refill my boost and win the race. Also there are so many different routes to get to the end of a race. One race I took a different route than everybody else and still won. It sure as hell beats closed course racess

We had Burnout, Burnout 2, Burnout 3 Takedown, Burnout Revenge, Burnout Legends, and Burnout Dominator all have a menu based racing system. It was about time Criterion evolved the series into something much bigger, and they succeeded in my book.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Banzaiaap said:
Hey Guys,

ram said:
bonus codes for the european version of the game (note: the codes in the op wont work with the pal game)

C-Lizenz
Micromania "H211 1Z99 LZ00 00BB"

NOTE: you have to switch the system language to french to activate this car

burnout-paradise.jpg

A-Lizenz
Gamestop Sport "B179 8M20 XA09 80FF"

Burnout Lizenz
Steel Wheel GT "Z891 4K88 IN25 79AA"

All the above have worked on my UK version. The Gamestop one is a really nice A license Stunt car if you haven't gotten all the super jumps yet.

Andokuky

Banned
quetz67 said:
So every racing game has to switch to free roam now to qualify as next gen?

God I hope not. This game is still fun just because it's Burnout and the crashes are great but idk, it feels like it has no personality. I would much much rather have traditional tracks to select from and race on over this open city free roam shit.

quetz67

Banned
mysticstylez said:
Do you even own Paradise? In order to have Criterion evolve the series they had to go with an open world. Instead of just menu based racing, everything is seamless which is a breat of fresh air in a Burnout game. You take one racing challenege, and more often than not when you get to the finish there is another challenge waiting in that area. You can drive around break gates, and hit super jumps to take out billboards. There is always something to do. Half the time I play Paradise I'm messing around and I'll end up at an event that I can do without trying to get there in the first place.

I'll even give some examples that made me believe in the open world racing, I was doing a Marked Man event, and I was one takedown away from losing, but I was able to keep them off of me and find a garage to fix my car up and I won. Another time I was doing a race, and was able to hit a gas station to refill my boost and win the race. Also there are so many different routes to get to the end of a race. One race I took a different route than everybody else and still won. It sure as hell beats closed course racess

We had Burnout, Burnout 2, Burnout 3 Takedown, Burnout Revenge, Burnout Legends, and Burnout Dominator all have a menu based racing system. It was about time Criterion evolved the series into something much bigger, and they succeeded in my book.
Would you have read my posts you would know I own the game. My question was, does every racing game need to go free roam now?

Sorry that my book is a different one than yours. I dont care about smashing billboards. And most often when I end a race the next street light needs a different car or I have done that race already. As I said I take more time looking for races than actually racing. Whenever being close second I beg for a retry because I feel I can do it better. But even if I was willing to go bag I probably wont even find the race and when I come back eventually later I have forgotten what route to take.

Strangely the races themselves (should I once find the right road) are extremely easy, especially those survival races are no challenge at all. I find the opponents in general not challenging, the only challenge for now is fighting the map.

Same goes for the stunt stuff. The only challenge is finding some ramps. Once finding one I did like 275,000 points where 10,000 where needed and I dont think I even understand how to do good stunts. Thats just bad game design to me free roaming or not.

Road rage is fun, but there arent many road rage events til now. And being good at it in all the other Burnouts I cant get a grip on it in Paradise. I liked it when I could tell which cars I could takeout and which are just traffic, which now can be pretty hard.

quetz67

Banned
Andokuky said:
God I hope not. This game is still fun just because it's Burnout and the crashes are great but idk, it feels like it has no personality. I would much much rather have traditional tracks to select from and race on over this open city free roam shit.
It would have been so easy for them to give us both. Nothing against free roaming and stunt stuff as an extra mode.

Is menu based racing where you have to try until you succeed so bad? People play that way for ages and I didnt hear many complaints about it. I didnt play GTA that much, but do you usually just accept other missions just because you are in a certain part of town and you unfortunately f*cked up your current objective?

h3ro

quetz67 said:
Would you have read my posts you would know I own the game. My question was, does every racing game need to go free roam now?

Sorry that my book is a different one than yours. I dont care about smashing billboards. And most often when I end a race the next street light needs a different car or I have done that race already. As I said I take more time looking for races than actually racing. Whenever being close second I beg for a retry because I feel I can do it better. But even if I was willing to go bag I probably wont even find the race and when I come back eventually later I have forgotten what route to take.

Strangely the races themselves (should I once find the right road) are extremely easy, especially those survival races are no challenge at all. I find the opponents in general not challenging, the only challenge for now is fighting the map.

Same goes for the stunt stuff. The only challenge is finding some ramps. Once finding one I did like 275,000 points where 10,000 where needed and I dont think I even understand how to do good stunts. Thats just bad game design to me free roaming or not.

Road rage is fun, but there arent many road rage events til now. And being good at it in all the other Burnouts I cant get a grip on it in Paradise. I liked it when I could tell which cars I could takeout and which are just traffic, which now can be pretty hard.

All these features of "bad game design" were in the free demo. You could have made your decision about the game then too

Also, as for having to change your car for every race, how can you do the burning lap for a car in a different car? The blue markers are races, with the pale orange ones being burning routes... there are plenty of events to do without even touching the burning routes. I'm well on my way to my Elite license and have only done six burning routes...

Its fine not to like that game, I was frustrated with some of the design aspects early on as well, but as I played more (45+ hours in now), I think I finally see what the devs were working towards, and I think it works wonderfully.

Also, don't we here at GAF absolutely destroy devs and publishers when they continually put out the same crap all the time (see: Madden, etc). It's refreshing to see a dev go out and completely overhaul a series while keeping the "core" of the game intact. To me the core of Burnout is crazy fast speed, awesome crashes and insane jumps, not a set piece crash mode and menu driven race selection.

Also, the billboard smashing, super jumps and smash gates are like crack to me... got the jumps and gates... three more billboards to go...

quetz67

Banned
h3ro said:
All these features of "bad game design" were in the free demo. You could have made your decision about the game then too
The demo was extremely limited and many said the full game is much better. Anyway, I dont complain I bought the game, no problem to get rid of it at a good price.

It is a matter of taste (and this probably is great for the hardcore gamers). But if you have like an hour a day for playing games you beg for some fast racing without the need to find them first.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
quetz67 said:
Sorry that my book is a different one than yours. I dont care about smashing billboards. And most often when I end a race the next street light needs a different car or I have done that race already.
There's 120 events. You must be missing some.

Wait until you get to class A.

quetz67

Banned
Iamthegamer said:
There's 120 events. You must be missing some.
sure, and I didnt even find a second junk yard yet, I want to play a racing game, not an adventure

Iamthegamer said:
Wait until you get to class A.
yeah, I am sure they get much harder (but I probably wont experience it). The point was that I hate fighting the map instead of the other cars for the first three or so classes.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
quetz67 said:
sure, and I didnt even find a second junk yard yet, I want to play a racing game, not an adventure

yeah, I am sure they get much harder (but I probably wont experience it). The point was that I hate fighting the map instead of the other cars for the first three or so classes.
I think the idea is that, the first couple classes are easy just so you can learn the map. Once oyu get the map down and all the shortcuts squared out, you'll have hit Class A.

h3ro

quetz67 said:
The demo was extremely limited and many said the full game is much better. Anyway, I dont complain I bought the game, no problem to get rid of it at a good price.

It is a matter of taste (and this probably is great for the hardcore gamers). But if you have like an hour a day for playing games you beg for some fast racing without the need to find them first.

Fair enough... different strokes for different folks.. :D

Funny thing is though, I think this game is great for pick up and play casual play. Lots of times I'll hop into my A-Team van and just run stuff over for fifteen minutes before dinner or something... if you want to race, go up to a stoplight and race for an hour, its a pretty user friendly setup IMO...

Guess you could always go back to Burnout Revenge if you have a 360, or BC PS3...

ram

after finishing the singleplayer - i dont think the free roaming world is bad at all, but some design choises are bad. for example to give the player the "drive were you want to finish a race" feeling in combination with the stupid point to point races are a real fun killer imo. there is no skill involved, only luck to see some shortcuts in the very detailed landscape at 200+ kmh. next thing is, the missing retry option - what a bad design choice, especially when you could crash faster than in any other burnout game bevor. if they had included real races (like the need for speed city games) and some more modes like elimination + a retry option, it could be the best burnout game out there - but in this state, its only good and without the cool and easy to use online mode it would be just a little beyond mediocre.

also hating the fact, that i cant change the button layout. i want to accelerate with the (x) button and not with some stupid triggers.

raheel87

ram said:
after finishing the singleplayer - i dont think the free roaming world is bad at all, but some design choises are bad. for example to give the player the "drive were you want to finish a race" feeling in combination with the stupid point to point races are a real fun killer imo. there is no skill involved, only luck to see some shortcuts in the very detailed landscape at 200+ kmh....

Pfft you just suck

Tieno

God, I already got the Burnout license, I've been playing this game like crazy the past 3 days. So good. Don't think I'll be going for elite, just gonna have fun online.

OatmealMu

156esu8.jpg

Still driveable! Just wish I could find all the damn billboards already. They're so big and obvious, yet I still manage to miss them.

Andokuky said:
God I hope not. This game is still fun just because it's Burnout and the crashes are great but idk, it feels like it has no personality.
Menus and load times = personality?

For me the open city is what gives the game its personality, along with Atomika, love him or hate him.

ram

raheel87 said:
Pfft you just suck

i meant, that you dont need skill to win the races. the AI is just easy and laughable. most times when i lose, thats because i have to look through the stupid map and crash then when looking for an shortcut or just take the wrong exit and boom - the race is lost.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Don't mean to turn this into a PS3 vs. 360 debate but I'm right about to head out and get this game. The 360 allows you to use custom tracks while the PS3 doesn't? What does the PS3 have over the 360 version? (I own both consoles)

BlueTsunami said:
Don't mean to turn this into a PS3 vs. 360 debate but I'm right about to head out and get this game. The 360 allows you to use custom tracks while the PS3 doesn't? What does the PS3 have over the 360 version? (I own both consoles)
The PS3 version allegedly has a slightly better framerate, but barely noticeable. I think the most compelling factor is probably which format you have the most online friends on as online mode is really where the fun is at.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
FINALLY ran into a GAFer online. Got a chance to takedown OatmealMu a couple of times before the room was ended.

Is there a certain time people meet up for this game? I guess I need to add more to my friends list.

Remy

BlueTsunami said:

Supposedly there's some slight framerate differences in favor of the PS3 version; it also allows you to export mugshots out to your XMB so you can upload them for hilarity.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
TTP said:

That does sound interesting

Gary Whitta said:
The PS3 version allegedly has a slightly better framerate, but barely noticeable. I think the most compelling factor is probably which format you have the most online friends on as online mode is really where the fun is at.

The Online aspect is true and I don't currently have Gold on my 360. Hmmmm. I think I'll get it on the PS3 anyways since I don't think I'll really be streaming my own music anyways once I get into the game. I really dig how Criterion put the quick selection list in game to the Online modes. PS3 it is then.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
OatmealMu said:
156esu8.jpg

Still driveable! Just wish I could find all the damn billboards already. They're so big and obvious, yet I still manage to miss them.
:lol

Xun

MrTroubleMaker said:
I'm having a hard time getting the x20 boost chain, is there a "simple" way to do it?
Wildcats stadium, do a drift and keep boosting in a gigantic donut.

Remy

Hey PS3 players - if you're on the friends list of any of the following folks:

RemyVJA
Therealbookey
OatmealMu
devil_chicken
aaron_lc
Captain_N
ChryZ-US

...we've got a 7 player game friends-only open and could use one more to start knocking out the 8-player challenges.

Tieno

One of the 8p challenges is 160 jumps on the big bridge at the end of harbor town, across the lake/sea. So much mayhem. Genius.

Anyone else going after people with a camera? When there's a dude with a camera I really really want to take them down as much as possible. Those mugshots feel like trophies.

Top Bottom