• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
steve said:
go around the block, there's a parking garage, jump from the roof of that acroiss the street, then jump off that to smash that billboard over the traintracks.

I think that's the one you're talking about.

Holy crap, I had a feeling that was the way, but it seemed kinda mad.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

Edit: woo, thanks a bunch

OatmealMu

When you're trying to polish off your elite license, the game seems a bit overzealous when it comes to slow motion crashes. Crashing isn't the issue here. The constant slow down, speed up crash camera is. I'd at least like the ability to turn off the super slo-mo crashes. Those take forever and are rarely entertaining to watch. While we're at it, I also want a button that blows up the Diesel vans.

9ghn44.jpg

h3ro

ice cream said:
Wait, no retrys, driveaways and no crash mode is real burnout?

Play the game my friend... it's Burnout, alright...:D

When I think of Burnout, I always thought about the sense of insane speed and uncontrolled precision (you know what I mean) and this game has it in SPADES...

Pimpbaa

ice cream said:
Wait, no retrys, driveaways and no crash mode is real burnout?

Using your logic, Burnout 1 would not have been a real burnout since it has no crash mode or driveaways (neither would that last burnout on ps2 and psp).

God this game's awesomeness is almost criminal. I'm still on B License and I took a break from my ongoing attempts to Rule All Roads and try some races. Which ended up a bit frustrating.

Oh no! How can I have fun now?

Oh wait, I'll go back to Road Ruling for three fucking hours.

Well done, Burnout. Well. Done.

Wizpig

Someone must explain me how the Show mode [the new Crash mode] is supposed to work.
I mean, i just button-mash "A" to jump and hope to crash into something, but i HOPE that's not it, right?

Pharmacy

Banned
Wizpig said:
Someone must explain me how the Show mode [the new Crash mode] is supposed to work.
I mean, i just button-mash "A" to jump and hope to crash into something, but i HOPE that's not it, right?

you have to tap the groundbreaker button as you hit the ground to get enough bounce

buses give you an extra multiplier (x2, x3 points etc), road signs / billboard smashes give you $10,000 and yes you just have to hit cars

Wizpig

Pharmacy said:
you have to tap the groundbreaker button as you hit the ground to get enough bounce

buses give you an extra multiplier (x2, x3 points etc), road signs / billboard smashes give you $10,000 and yes you just have to hit cars
=( Thanks

Why oh why didn't they put two more things that would've made this game perfect
1] Crash mode
2] Closed race circuits, so you don't get lost

h3ro

Wizpig said:
=( Thanks

1] Crash mode

Once you play long enough, you'll have the city memorized and even the longest race becomes straight forward...

Oatmeal, what car did you use for the Elite license?

daw840

If anyone is online right now and wants to get some challenges done I am here. I have gotten up to the Burnout Paradise license but have only done a couple of the online challenges.

Send me a game/friend invite if your down

GT = Qbert420

edit: 360 version

colinp

Banned
daw840 said:
If anyone is online right now and wants to get some challenges done I am here. I have gotten up to the Burnout Paradise license but have only done a couple of the online challenges.

Send me a game/friend invite if your down

GT = Qbert420

edit: 360 version

I *should* be able to join you in ten-twenty minutes: korinp

MechDX said:
Anyone ever figure out what this achievement is on the 360 verison:

Not really an achievement whore but wonder what is it and how do you get it.

Find all Car Parks.

EDIT: Beaten. Had to log-in.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm actually sort of confused about why i haven't gotten the "perfect rage" achievement. i've gotten ten takedowns in a row during a road rage event, even doing so at the initiation of the event without wrecking. does it have to be both in a solid chain (i'm presuming it restarts the count after a time, since sometimes i won't wreck but it will go from "four in a row" [or what have you] back to "takedown") and prior to any wrecks in the event?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Finished off the singleplayer stuff. That 40x stunt run was a pain in the ass, lol. I spent lots of time figuring out the perfect route, then even more time failing to achieve that perfect route. Just said "what the hell" and started at the next stunt run event and did it without a single close call. You get over 30x multiplier you start getting very paranoid, lol

Remy

Wizpig said:
=( Thanks

1] Crash mode

These complaints bring up an interesting point.

The "closed world" Burnout games had Crash Mode - set pieces, with no variation.
Paradise, the "open world" Burnout, has Showtime, essentially an improv crash mode. You say where and when, and off you go.

The "closed world" Burnout games had closed race circuits, forcing you to go around this turn this way, and that turn that way. There's little choice, outside of some shortcuts.
Paradise, the "open world" Burnout, has open race circuits. You learn the roads and you make your own mental map of where the shortcuts are.

So, to answer:

Those things wouldn't have fit, stylistically, with the open world game they were trying to make.

And honestly, I'm enjoying Paradise more than I did Takedown or Revenge because of it.

OatmealMu

Anyone know how to reach this billboard? I've looked all around and can't find a way to reach it. Normally, there's a ramp or something obvious, but this...

34i1ksh.jpg

SupahBlah

Banned
There's probably a car park nearby and you bounce onto another building then another one before there's a jump that can hit that billboard.

h3ro

OatmealMu said:
Anyone know how to reach this billboard? I've looked all around and can't find a way to reach it. Normally, there's a ramp or something obvious, but this...

34i1ksh.jpg

Thats the airfield billboard. I think there is a jump inside the Airfield that leads you over the wall...

Tieno

Just played my first online freeburning. It blows me away how freeform this game is, you really do what you want and have fun and there's so much you can do. Serious, serious GOTY contender already.

OatmealMu

h3ro said:
Thats the airfield billboard. I think there is a jump inside the Airfield that leads you over the wall...

Ah, I could've sworn I got that one. Sometimes I swear the game doesn't save the stuff I do.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Ahh, managed to nail the 100% Parallel Park on my second try! I was positive it would be a pain in the ass for me.

That being said, for a 100%... it sure was an ugly job.

Tieno said:
Just played my first online freeburning. It blows me away how freeform this game is, you really do what you want and have fun and there's so much you can do. Serious, serious GOTY contender already.
Yeah they deserve some kind of award just for how seamless they made the offline/online integration.

Kolgar

Four sit-downs with this game and I'm about 25 races into my A license.

This game is hilarious and awesome.

I've been doing mostly regular races, and burning routes for each car as it comes up. But I think the Road Rages are still my favorite. Sheer chaos!

I also like the Showtime events pretty well. I find myself grinning the whole time I'm playing them, so that's probably right.

Some of the best, if not the best, racing action this gen!

daw840

devilchicken said:
We're gonna have to get an 8 player all-gaf group online session to get the 8 player ones out of the way, because god knows there is no way a bunch of random strangers would get that accomplished.

I would definitely be down to join in for an eight player (or as many as we can get) game. I am online right now and will be online until 8 pst or so. I am playing the 2 player challenges right now. Just send me a message/friend request and I will invite you so we can work on the others.

GT - Qbert420 (360 version)

SupahBlah

Banned
OatmealMu said:
Ah, I could've sworn I got that one. Sometimes I swear the game doesn't save the stuff I do.

I've noticed that if you get a billboard or smash doing like a challenge, race etc it doesn't save.

How do you start the parking challenge? I keep thinking the games going to tell me but nothing so far. I've tried pulling up to parking spaces, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
For the parking challenge: You've just got to find two parked cars (no more than about two car lengths apart) then do an e-brake turn and slide yourself into the space between them, trying to get as close and parallel to the curb as possible. Make sure to stay parked for a couple seconds until the game gives you a rating.

aidan said:
For the parking challenge: You've just got to find two parked cars (no more than about two car lengths apart) then do an e-brake turn and slide yourself into the space between them, trying to get as close and parallel to the curb as possible. Make sure to stay parked for a couple seconds until the game gives you a rating.

Cool thanks.

Okay it's still a great game and all but as you get more into the advanced stages a couple of annoying things really start to show.

* Burning Routes. Some of the longer challenges are where the lack of a retry option really sticks out like a sore thumb. Currently I'm trying to nail a route that starts downtown and ends way out in white mountain - a complex and hazardous route with a 2m35s challenge time. When I fail it, it's a looong and frustrating drive back to the start line. At this point I'm way past "oh you can always just go do something else" mindset - FUCK THAT, I want to nail this burning route because it's bugging the piss out of me. And right now it's about five minutes from failing to being able to retry, and that sucks.

* What THE FUCK is with AI oncoming traffic turning INTO you as you drive past? What possible design/world reason could there be for that? Sure it makes the game tougher but in a really cheap and unrealistic way. Am I supposed to believe that the residents of Paradise City are now so pissed by my antics they're deliberately crashing into me? Or that they panic every time they see me but they just always happen to swerve the wrong way? Either way I call bullshit on this design choice.

SupahBlah said:
I've noticed that if you get a billboard or smash doing like a challenge, race etc it doesn't save.
I hate the times I'm crashing and hit something because it never gives it to you.

got my Burnout license. Sat down and completed the 25 events I had left in about 3 hours. I have 3 cars "in the wild" but I've yet to see any of them run in front of me.

Gary, which car is that?

Gowans

Thank god for that, just got m Burnout licence,

Bed now, later the cars and burning routes, elite hmm.... dunno maybe after a break

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
Gary Whitta said:
Okay it's still a great game and all but as you get more into the advanced stages a couple of annoying things really start to show.

* Burning Routes. Some of the longer challenges are where the lack of a retry option really sticks out like a sore thumb. Currently I'm trying to nail a route that starts downtown and ends way out in white mountain - a complex and hazardous route with a 2m35s challenge time. When I fail it, it's a looong and frustrating drive back to the start line. At this point I'm way past "oh you can always just go do something else" mindset - FUCK THAT, I want to nail this burning route because it's bugging the piss out of me. And right now it's about five minutes from failing to being able to retry, and that sucks.

* What THE FUCK is with AI oncoming traffic turning INTO you as you drive past? What possible design/world reason could there be for that? Sure it makes the game tougher but in a really cheap and unrealistic way. Am I supposed to believe that the residents of Paradise City are now so pissed by my antics they're deliberately crashing into me? Or that they panic every time they see me but they just always happen to swerve the wrong way? Either way I call bullshit on this design choice.

I agree with all of this + navigator shows how shitty it is once you learn which ways are clearly better.

Top Bottom