• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

KGKK

Banned
Nope, not a disappointment. Definitely having a blast with it, and the online is awesome!! It is so seamless.

h3ro

solid2snake said:
not the first time that GAF hypes a crappy game. but not my problem ;)

If loving this game is wrong... then I don't wanna be right :lol :lol

seriously though, why don't you join us in the GAF room whenever we play, its a blast and since you already paid for the game, might as well make the best of the situation. who knows, you might change your stance...

h3ro said:
If loving this game is wrong... then I don't wanna be right :lol :lol

seriously though, why don't you join us in the GAF room whenever we play, its a blast and since you already paid for the game, might as well make the best of the situation. who knows, you might change your stance...

time and place? :D

Woo-Fu

Banned
If he hates the open city it doesn't matter who he plays with, or when, he should still be disappointed in the game.

Those of us who actually enjoy exploration, the value of map knowledge and the freedom to chart our own course within a game(both literally and figuratively) are well pleased by Burnout Paradise.

Go play Burnout Revenge.

Woo-Fu said:
If he hates the open city it doesn't matter who he plays with, or when, he should still be disappointed in the game.
Be disappointed, that's fine. Calling it a crappy game as if all of us should not play it? That's GAF for you, I guess.

Woo-Fu

Banned
AlphaTwo00 said:
Be disappointed, that's fine. Calling it a crappy game as if all of us should not play it? That's GAF for you, I guess.

I'm fairly sure that sour grapes existed long before GAF.

solid2snake said:
say what you want, but Burnout Paradise is the disappointment 2008 so far. i hate the free roaming city.
Maybe EA will release a patch that adds the big colorful, blinking arrows from the prevoius games so that players who aren't good with maps know where to go...

daw840

We Are Ninja said:
Maybe EA will release a patch that adds the big colorful, blinking arrows from the prevoius games so that players who aren't good with maps know where to go...

If you pay attention to the tail lights of your car, the turn signal starts to go off a little before the "suggested" turn. The street sign that is on top of the screen as you approach the intersection also blinks and makes a beeping noise. It's kind of small and hard to pay attention to when you are trying to dodge traffic, but it is helpful.

Kolgar

No doubt, I bought the game last Monday and have already put like 26 hours into it. That's only ever happened to me with a couple of other games, maybe.

This game is like digital crack. Love it.

daw840 said:
If you pay attention to the tail lights of your car, the turn signal starts to go off a little before the "suggested" turn. The street sign that is on top of the screen as you approach the intersection also blinks and makes a beeping noise. It's kind of small and hard to pay attention to when you are trying to dodge traffic, but it is helpful.
Not only that, the beeping noise is different for both directions; you don't even have to watch the signs... Besides, you learn the map in this game like you do in Grand Theft Auto games, it just starts to stick after a while.

My comment was for people that find racing an open, free-roaming, area difficult.

Aladuf

Banned
We Are Ninja said:
Not only that, the beeping noise is different for both directions; you don't even have to watch the signs... Besides, you learn the map in this game like you do in Grand Theft Auto games, it just starts to stick after a while.

My comment was for people that find racing an open, free-roaming, area difficult.

Yeah, I've noticed in the past couple of days that I don't need the indicators as much because I'm starting to put the city together like a puzzle almost... like I'll be driving around a couple places and then sometime later I'll hit a road that connects the two and I kinda realize "oh, when I start here and take this road it gets me here" so things are beginning to mesh together.

daw840

We Are Ninja said:

Wow...I never noticed that.

Tieno

I got all the billboards! Woo! I never really went hunting for them, just took them when I saw one. Only the last 5-7 I hunted down.

Anyone tell me which stunt car is the best for barrel rolling? I suppose it's one of the lighter ones, right?

h3ro

Tieno said:
I got all the billboards! Woo! I never really went hunting for them, just took them when I saw one. Only the last 5-7 I hunted down.

Anyone tell me which stunt car is the best for barrel rolling? I suppose it's one of the lighter ones, right?

Jansen P12 Track for me. Most I've gotten is three though, I've seen people on the PS boards post picks of a quadruple roll.

OatmealMu

Finally got all the billboards, smashes, and jumps. Ended up opening the Paradise City map in Photoshop and checking off areas I've been through. Now for the online stuff. That should take a while.

Aladuf

Banned
OatmealMu said:
Finally got all the billboards, smashes, and jumps. Ended up opening the Paradise City map in Photoshop and checking off areas I've been through. Now for the online stuff. That should take a while.

Since I've been playing so much online, I've actually got near 200 things done... it doesn't seem like it'll take too long.

Tieno

Aladuf23 said:
Since I've been playing so much online, I've actually got near 200 things done... it doesn't seem like it'll take too long.
Quitters can be annoying. I usually lock the room when I have 8 people and then hopefully I'll have a good group left once the quitters leave and the people who don't know what they're doing. I've had some good sessions with that where everyone co-operates. A lot of fun.
h3ro said:
Jansen P12 Track for me. Most I've gotten is three though, I've seen people on the PS boards post picks of a quadruple roll.
Thanks! I'll try that one.

Aladuf

Banned
Tieno said:
Quitters can be annoying. I usually lock the room when I have 8 people and then hopefully I'll have a good group left once the quitters leave and the people who don't know what they're doing. I've had some good sessions with that where everyone co-operates. A lot of fun.

Yeah, what I do is play only with gaffers and people on their friends list. Everybody is always game for doing challenges and if they have to go they always seem to let you know and still finish the challenge first.

Tieno

Aladuf23 said:
Yeah, what I do is play only with gaffers and people on their friends list. Everybody is always game for doing challenges and if they have to go they always seem to let you know and still finish the challenge first.
Do you have the PS3 version? If you do, please add me. Got 100% on 2p and 3p and a lot on 8p

I've only done some 2p challenges with BeeDog from GAF (don't know his gaf nick)

Won

Finally finished all burning routes. That last one showed me once again how much a retry option is needed. :(

Only 36 Events, tons of street records and a endless number of online challenges left!

Aladuf

Banned
Tieno said:
Do you have the PS3 version? If you do, please add me. Got 100% on 2p and 3p and a lot on 8p

I've only done some 2p challenges with BeeDog from GAF (don't know his gaf nick)

yeah, I've got the PS3 version, i'll add you when I get on later... or if you're on sooner you can just send me a friend request my PSN ID is Aladuf23

Tieno

Aladuf23 said:
yeah, I've got the PS3 version, i'll add you when I get on later... or if you're on sooner you can just send me a friend request my PSN ID is Aladuf23
Probably won't get on today anymore, already played too much.

The later online challenges are usually the best, don't care much for the initial grind of the boostings or airtime. I usually let the group go to the airport or quarry first and then there do some of those smaller ones. More fun that way.

Aladuf

Banned
Tieno said:
Probably won't get on today anymore, already played too much.

The later online challenges are usually the best, don't care much for the initial grind of the boostings or airtime. I usually let the group go to the airport or quarry first and then there do some of those smaller ones. More fun that way.

Yeah, alright well i'll add you tonight and hopefully we all can play some tomorrow.

birdman

Aladuf23 said:

...even when you're trying to power park in a van.

BPK

GREAT GAME. I can't say that enough.

I have to apologize to the Criterion guys. I will never again judge a game solely by its demo. I downloaded the demo like everyone else and found it so disappointing. The city seemed bland, the DJ annoyed the hell out of me, and there was no racing component in the online part.

On a hunch I still bought the game a few weeks later and am I ever glad I did. This is most certainly a Burnout game at its heart. The intense speed, motion blur, crazy fun city...it's all here.

I have only one complaint. Online they give you lots of freedom to create your own course BUT I would have loved to run a race on the Interstate. It would be a nice change from most races where you're having to find shortcuts and such. The Interstate simply does a loop and, contrary to conventional wisdom, it's actually quite fun to drive on in the game. The heavy traffics makes it a great challenge. When I try to set up a race on the interstate, however, none of the red dots indicates where a race can start, finish, or have a checkpoint are located on the interstate. It's as if the devs thought it best to have all racing done on the normal roads. A shame really.

steve

Banned
BPK said:
GREAT GAME. I can't say that enough.

I have to apologize to the Criterion guys. I will never again judge a game solely by its demo. I downloaded the demo like everyone else and found it so disappointing. The city seemed bland, the DJ annoyed the hell out of me, and there was no racing component in the online part.

On a hunch I still bought the game a few weeks later and am I ever glad I did. This is most certainly a Burnout game at its heart. The intense speed, motion blur, crazy fun city...it's all here.

I have only one complaint. Online they give you lots of freedom to create your own course BUT I would have loved to run a race on the Interstate. It would be a nice change from most races where you're having to find shortcuts and such. The Interstate simply does a loop and, contrary to conventional wisdom, it's actually quite fun to drive on in the game. The heavy traffics makes it a great challenge. When I try to set up a race on the interstate, however, none of the red dots indicates where a race can start, finish, or have a checkpoint are located on the interstate. It's as if the devs thought it best to have all racing done on the normal roads. A shame really.

Can you not start/finish the race just outside the off/on ramps?

steve

Banned
Wizpig said:
On with another worthless question:
What are your audio settings?
Mine:
- Music 11
- SFX 4 :lol

I sometimes like to turn down both music and sound effects, turn off my headset (which sens all voice comm through the stereo speakers), and just listen to everyone shooting the shiat while I play. That way my wife can hear everything that's being said too, that's always fun.

Tieno said:

The carbon Isuka GT barrel rolls like nobody's business. Hit the super jump off of Read Lane by the railroad tracks and watch it spiral like a football. o_O

OatmealMu

Ugh, I'm currently hosting a game so I can clear out the various challenges I'm missing. I can hear other people over voicechat, and they can apparently take each other down, but I can't see anyone on my minimap or on the road.

My router's ports should be forwarded correctly, so I'm not sure what's going on. :\

PeteJ

I can't face playing this game any more, it's just too repetitive. Great for the first ten hours but I don't feel that the open city has done the franchise any favours.

Glad I bought it because I did have some fun and it was better than expected following the demo, but I put this at the bottom of the Burnout pile.

OatmealMu said:
heh, that's exactly what I'm doing: Have my laptop open on my lap with the map in Photoshop. Finding those last 15 smashes and 5 billboards is going to kill me, though it's so satisfying to get the "All ___ found in ___!" message

bune duggy said:
heh, that's exactly what I'm doing: Have my laptop open on my lap with the map in Photoshop. Finding those last 15 smashes and 5 billboards is going to kill me, though it's so satisfying to get the "All ___ found in ___!" message
No way, dude. Be hardcore. Find them the hard way.

BeeDog

Tieno said:

My GAF nick is the same. :p

If my mic dies or I'm unable to speak (like atm, my voice is gone), is there any way to make the host choose a challenge that none on the server has done? I'm a little bit bored that the hosts always end up doing challenges I've already done.

Agent X

beelzebozo said:
i'm actually sort of confused about why i haven't gotten the "perfect rage" achievement. i've gotten ten takedowns in a row during a road rage event, even doing so at the initiation of the event without wrecking. does it have to be both in a solid chain (i'm presuming it restarts the count after a time, since sometimes i won't wreck but it will go from "four in a row" [or what have you] back to "takedown") and prior to any wrecks in the event?

You have to successfully complete a Road Rage event that requires 10 takedowns to win.

There is a separate award called "Rampage!" that you earn when you rack up 10 consecutive takedowns without crashing, which constitutes a Takedown Rampage. In some of the older Burnout games, a Takedown Rampage was 5 takedowns in a row, but that feat is now called a Takedown Frenzy (which you get the "Frenzy!" award for).

I had gotten a Takedown Rampage on maybe my third or fourth Road Rage event (back when the goal was 5 or 6 takedowns), and was wondering at that time why I didn't get the "Perfect Rage" award. It was only when the goal was moved up to 10 takedowns that I finally got the award.

benita316

Banned
I only just got the game and am loving it so far.

The only thing I don't really like is that it seems too easy to wreck. In Revenge you could clip oncoming traffic and get away with a spin but in Paradise it seems like the most minor head-on results in an annoying "wrecked" cutscene.

Is this just my imagination?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
benita316 said:
I only just got the game and am loving it so far.

The only thing I don't really like is that it seems to easy to wreck. In Revenge you could clip oncoming traffic and get away with a spin but in Paradise it seems like the most minor head-on results in an annoying "wrecked" cutscene.

Is this just my imagination?
Once you get some better aggresive cars, you could slough off a couple head-ons no prob, jsut don't use the boost when you think you're gonna hit a car.

Online highway races would have been nice. I've also been toying with the idea of zig-zagging all 16 checkpoints across the map, making it a 40 mile endurance race or something akin to what you see in Midtown madness.

Most races I've seen online are just A to B with one or two deviating paths. I want to see more here's 5 checkpoints, but they are all over the map, so instead of one or two major decisions, I want to see more risker choices..

BPK

Quick question about road rules online.

If I set a timed or crash rule on a road, is that for the entire online community or just the players in my game?

As well, sometimes offline I'll set a road rule and then this ticker scrolls across telling me about new records and usually my name is listed next to the street I just beat it on. What is this? I'm super confused.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
PS3 GAFFERS please get on help me do some challenges please. I am on right now if you wanna shoot me a friend invite. LiquidMetal14

Remy

BPK said:
Quick question about road rules online.

If I set a timed or crash rule on a road, is that for the entire online community or just the players in my game?

As well, sometimes offline I'll set a road rule and then this ticker scrolls across telling me about new records and usually my name is listed next to the street I just beat it on. What is this? I'm super confused.

For now, the records are just for you, people in your game, and your friends.

I think at some point, after there's enough data for records, EA may be opening the records up globally; there's a selector in the Leaderboards menu that doesn't allow you to change it off of "Friends" for the time being.

Top Bottom