• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Tieno

Can't believe I only now discovered the Quary, I've been doing that big jump leading into over and over trying to do a fast barrel rolls. Once I was spinning like crazy, but couldn't land it
h3ro said:
They made it awesomer :D
Totally, one of the best games this gen. It's amazing how well designed the city is, so big yet it all feels very distinct and identifiable. It's packed with stuff to do. It's like everything is designed with one purpose: fun. No fat.

Who's BeeDog guy I was doing challenges with?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
This game is fucking.awesome. I haven't played a good arcade like racer in years and this game gets me in that Zone where I'm focused, dodging cars and barriers. The Car Collectathon is addicting and hunting for ramps and stuff is fun as hell.

I also can't believe how well integrated the Online mode is. Being able to drop in and out without having to fuck with a Lobby = Wow.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
no wonder alex ward felt so justified in wagging his dick a little when there was so much initial criticism. the game seriously shits on the face of its detractors--someone says "burnout paradise, be less awesome," and it says, "no can do, buttface."

tribal24

Banned
ok whats the best stunt car and wheres the damn airport at-_- i tryed finding it. i also wanted to know if the online servers region free?

It's east and then south-east from the big green icon (garage) on this map:

2vt7iio.jpg

h3ro

dk_ said:
Hey guys,

can someone sum up the bonus codes for the European version for me?

Thanks!

Try the Steel Wheels and Micromania codes, they're located on the first page of the thread...

Sean said:
Has anyone had a glitch where the Afterburner challenge ....
Speaking of glitches, yesterday I was doing a race event. As i was approaching the finish line i push a car out of the way and get a takedown right as I was crossing the finish line. End result: Game crash. Okay, not a crash, but a total hang. Pressing the PS button on the ds3 wouldnt do a thing and all that. Had to do a hard reset. Good times.

Just checked my 360 friend list and no-one is playing! Don't tell me it's no longer flavor of the month already! I still have 95 online challenges to complete!

Gary Whitta said:
Just checked my 360 friend list and no-one is playing! Don't tell me it's no longer flavor of the month already! I still have 95 online challenges to complete!

Add me (XBL GT - dammitmattt) and I'll play with you when I'm home (Thursdays-Sundays, typically). I still have 100 to complete for the achievement :/ I'm obsessed with challenges so I'll be up for them anytime!!!

Raw64life

I've played this game for 22:10 and about 20 of those hours have been single player. I'd like to try some of the online challenges but I don't usually see more than 1 or 2 people on my friends list online at any given time.

Also, as others have mentioned, once you've found 370/400 Smashes, 119/120 Events, etc., finding what you're missing becomes an exercise in frustration. Luckily I still have 74 challenges to go for the Burnout Elite so I should be able to get a good 50 of those before it starts getting annoying.

Aladuf

Banned
I. WANT. A. RESTART. OPTION!!!

Argh! this one Burning Route is fucking with me and I have to drive back every time I lost just to lose again.

newsguy

Aladuf23 said:

Argh! this one Burning Route is fucking with me and I have to drive back every time I lost just to lose again.

Yes, I agree 100% You know what, if they want to be assholes, simply do it for burning routes. With the other stuff I don't mind, but because it's vehicle specific, I really like to do each one before I swap to a new car. It's really a pain in the ass because burning routes with the later cars tend to take longer.

Aladuf

Banned
newsguy said:
Yes, I agree 100% You know what, if they want to be assholes, simply do it for burning routes. With the other stuff I don't mind, but because it's vehicle specific, I really like to do each one before I swap to a new car. It's really a pain in the ass because burning routes with the later cars tend to take longer.

Exactly.

Aladuf23 said:

Besides the last couple Burning Routes, you shouldn't have any problems as long as you don't crash more than once and use boost for about 1/4 of the race.

Aladuf

Banned
dammitmattt said:
Besides the last couple Burning Routes, you shouldn't have any problems as long as you don't crash more than once and use boost for about 1/4 of the race.

Yeah, thats my problem!:lol

I am just having trouble with the route and I always seem to crash at the shittiest time after I've done well the whole race.

ch0mp

Aladuf23 said:

TDU had the right idea. Once you've been there you can kind of warp there by looking at the map.

Surfheart

Yay! the game is finally in the shops here. Still can't decide on the version:(

+No RL friends with Ps3 version
+achievements
-Slowdown
-No 360 camera

PS3
+Better framerate?
+looks better?
+I have a PS eye
-No friends own the ps3 version :(

Has the 360 version improved from the demo at all, I noticed some choppiness that wasn't there on the PS3.

Thanks GAF

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
there is definitely the occasional, but negligible hitch in the 360 version. if you're a stickler for that sort of thing, and don't care about rumble, go ps3.

Greg

I was going to buy the game, but decided on renting it... really want to love it, but I'm bored with only a hour played (and I think I played the demo for 4 hours).

I've been busy with classes recently, and this is the first time I've touched my PS3 in over two weeks - thought any bit of PS3 action would be fun, but I'm almost turned off by how much freedom you have over the game. I enjoy the fact that the entire city is open from the beginning, but I'd rather have some form path to follow.

I want menus.
Give me linear gameplay.

h3ro

Surfheart said:

+achievements
-Slowdown
-No 360 camera

PS3
+Better framerate?
+looks better?
+I have a PS eye

Has the 360 version improved from the demo at all, I noticed some choppiness that wasn't there on the PS3.

Thanks GAF

In addition to what beelzebozo said, PS3 version also has an Awards system that will eventually brought into the Home/Trophy award system.

Also, if you are worried about online play and not having anyone to play with, GAF has an awesome community on Burnout, we've had some awesome games pretty much everyday since launch...

Aladuf

Banned
Surfheart said:

+achievements
-Slowdown
-No 360 camera

PS3
+Better framerate?
+looks better?
+I have a PS eye

Thanks GAF

Gaf is your friends on the PS3 version! :D

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Aladuf23 said:

Yep at first that shit didn't bother me but man once I get to an event that is long or high on points once you fail that shit I just want to get back at it. Hopefully they can patch this come on Criterion PATCH IT!

Aladuf

Banned
h3ro said:
Beat you to it!! :D

I didn't get to play all day today... I'm having hi-speed withdrawl. :(

ahh! you beat me by seconds!:lol

I, myself am having multiplayer withdrawals, because I have been trying to finish my Burnout License at least... I'm want to get back online with you guys tomorrow!

Raw64life

Finally played a significant amount of online just now and it was a lot of fun.

Also, I didn't pay any attention to seeing 119/120 events because I figured I'd cross it by chance sooner or later, but I've been stuck on it through a good four hours of play now and it's starting to get on my nerves. Even having that picture earlier on this page hasn't helped as I looked at both for a good 10 minutes and couldn't spot the missing one. There has to be an easier way to do this.

Aladuf23 said:
ahh! you beat me by seconds!:lol

I, myself am having multiplayer withdrawals, because I have been trying to finish my Burnout License at least... I'm want to get back online with you guys tomorrow!

Yeah, I'm doing the same right now. Working on the elite license. But now the marked man events are rather.. harsh. The AI goes brutal on you.
Still havent gotten to the point where im going to be begging for a restart option, but i can see how that will get annoying quick.

KGKK

Banned
Raw64life said:

Also, I didn't pay any attention to seeing 119/120 events because I figured I'd cross it by chance sooner or later, but I've been stuck on it through a good four hours of play now and it's starting to get on my nerves. Even having that picture earlier on this page hasn't helped as I looked at both for a good 10 minutes and couldn't spot the missing one. There has to be an easier way to do this.

That barrel roll through the hoop took a while eh?:lol

Surfheart

I ended up with the 360 version.

GT: Surfheart

I wish we could all play together in some sort of utopian console detente, because it really divides the community.

Aladuf23 said:

I know it's been said a billion times, but yeah. There's no good excuse for lack of retry.

I rented the game, enjoy so much about it, but I'm probably gonna send it back tomorrow. I am not going to slog through 100 events to get my elite license without retry. It was bad enough going without it this far. It should at least be an option you unlock when you get the A or Burnout license.

Warping would be good, too, since I've found all the smashes, billboards, and jumps so backtracking isn't very enjoyable now. All those damn races that end at the wind farm...I already did all the events there! I don't wanna keep goin' back!

I'll buy the game and catch 'em all if they release a retry patch.

Kolgar

I'm not saying this game has affected my driving habits, but the other day I got into a car accident. Right before it happened, I fired up "Girlfriend" on the stereo, floored the accelerator, and bellowed, "IT'S SHOWTIME, BITCHES!"

^ No joke. I was approaching a [red] stoplight and the cross-traffic was cross-trafficing and I thought to myself, "I could totally make that..." as I considered threading the needle between Civic, a Silverado, and an Expedtion going the opposite direction at normal cruising speeds. I went ahead and stopped though, secure in the knowledge I could've made if I wanted to.

birdman

devilchicken said:
Yeah, I'm doing the same right now. Working on the elite license. But now the marked man events are rather.. harsh. The AI goes brutal on you.
Still havent gotten to the point where im going to be begging for a restart option, but i can see how that will get annoying quick.

Use the 4X4 custom when you do them. The bastard is a tank, I swear by it.

Doc Evils

Kolgar said:
I'm not saying this game has affected my driving habits, but the other day I got into a car accident. Right before it happened, I fired up "Girlfriend" on the stereo, floored the accelerator, and bellowed, "IT'S SHOWTIME, BITCHES!"

This is probably one of the reasons they didn't include a driver in the car.

BeeDog

Goddamnit, every time I join up with some GAFers online, they only choose challenges which I have already done like 3 times before, and I'm incapable of telling them since I've practically lost my voice. :lol

Doc Evils said:
This is probably one of the reasons they didn't include a driver in the car.

That and obliterating innocent traffic cars during wrecks would be uglier than Grand Theft Auto's worst if there were bodies in those cars...

I've been enjoying BP latley, great game.

But why are there only 4 events to play? (Race, Stunts, Takedown and Marked Man). Couldn't they think of more!?

And because I'm a total failure at stunts, I only play 3.

Sean

Banned
devilchicken said:

Use the Inferno Van for marked man events - the description on that car says its built like a tank and they sure weren't lying. The AI won't really be able to take you down much at all, in fact I spend the entire time taking them down (which is really satisfying). You will be rewarded with a slightly better version of the car too when completing the burning route for it.

I've also found that the AI cars become much more aggressive when you boost or when you try to go off ramps. So basically use the Inferno van, drive without boosting, and take the main route instead of going off ramps. And don't drive in the oncoming lane with that cause cars will swerve into you.

There are only about two or three tough marked man challenges: the ones where you're driving 5 miles to The Observatory (there's no auto repair drive-thrus over there). The rest of them you should be able to beat on the first try using that car/method.

Xun said:
I must say the shaky camera thing is really starting to piss me off, anyone else agree?
yep a little, and the camera gets a little to low sometimes on a very fast car during a burnout. I've crashed way to many times not being able to see stuff.

Raw64life said:

I guarantee you it's on the interstate. Make a full loop around I-88.

DeadGzuz

Banned
I threw Burnout Revenge into my 360 to see how it holds up after playing Paradise. It was pretty fun, the restricted race laps really help since you cannot get lost. The graphics were good too, a bit too much HDR/bloom though. Of course you have crash mode which is always fun, these two games compliment each other more than one replacing the other.

Funny thing not one person online in Revenge...

h3ro

solid2snake said:
say what you want, but Burnout Paradise is the disappointment 2008 so far. i hate the free roaming city.

Maybe for you...

I love this game and I'm sure GAF agrees that this game is definitely not a disappointment...

Top Bottom