• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Remy said:
For now, the records are just for you, people in your game, and your friends.

I think at some point, after there's enough data for records, EA may be opening the records up globally; there's a selector in the Leaderboards menu that doesn't allow you to change it off of "Friends" for the time being.

I don't understand this. Practically every other game has this unlocked from the beginning.

^ Drive the F1 racer (or something faster) around for like five minutes, then drive to a junkyard and get into the Cavalry. It's like being stuck in perpetual matrix-time... o_O

Nightz

So I have both versions of the game, and something's been bugging me. People have been saying that the two versions are pretty identical, and the 360's framerate issues are small and barely noticeable. However, I've been noticing it A LOT. It's nothing major and I'm not a graphics whore at all, but it happens often enough for me to notice. The situations where I've noticed it happening are:

1) When I do a 180 degree turn, I notice a little slowdown.
2) When I bump into a wall, it seems like the game skips some frames and I'm all of a sudden back on the road.
3) When I'm driving on a road with a lot of cars on it, my car randomly jumps 5 feet forward.

Of course this doesn't happen all the time, but like I said it happens often enough for me to notice. In a 1 hour session, it maybe happens two or three times...but I usually sit and play for 2 to 4 hours at a time, so I definitely notice it when it happens.

So has anyone else seen this behavior, or is it just me? If it is just me, I think it just confirms what I've been fearing, my second 360 is getting ready to die, as it's been acting funny recently. :(

X26

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
God, the Burning Routes are going to be the death of me

My eyes a bumpin

GOD DAMN YOU TEMPESTA BURNING ROUTE

My BR win % is probably like 50%, I crash too much and often take a shitty route

Tieno

I'm listening to the Criterion podcast and they're saying that while the new firmware supports custom soundtrack atm, they can't implement custom soundtracks for the PS3 version because the memory footprint is too big. So it's up to Sony to get that smaller.

Bummer :(

Aladuf

Banned
Tieno said:
I'm listening to the Criterion podcast and they're saying that, while the new firmware supports custom soundtrack atm, they can't implement custom soundtracks for the PS3 version because the memory footprint is too big. So it's up to Sony to get that smaller.

Bummer :(

Yeah, I listened to it yesterday... that sucks about the custom soundtrack.

h3ro

SupahBlah said:
Is there anyway to get this in the UK version?

Its just a skin of the Krieger WTR Formula 1 car you get for beating 168 events... and I think the skin is NA only.

14 more wins to go for the elite license and they are all stunt runs, this is causing me heartburn, I'm very bad at the stunt runs. Although I do have 80 cars (need to get the 81st online), and most of it "done" I would like to really "finish" it. But I don't know, I 'm getting burnt out trying the stunts..

OatmealMu

I finally unlocked a car by doing the challenges. I really wish there was a way to limit the number of players that joined a game. Sure, you can boot people, then lock the server, but that's clumsy. I've got quite a few challenge tiers with only a couple challenges left. We need to get some GAF sessions together and help people finish their remaining challenges. Relying on random strangers ain't gonna' cut it.

MrTroubleMaker said:
14 more wins to go for the elite license and they are all stunt runs, this is causing me heartburn, I'm very bad at the stunt runs. Although I do have 80 cars (need to get the 81st online), and most of it "done" I would like to really "finish" it. But I don't know, I 'm getting burnt out trying the stunts..
Yeah I got up to my Burnout license without having to do any Stunt Runs but you need to do so many events to get Elite looks like there's no way to avoid them. Sucks.

Timan

Developer
OatmealMu said:
I finally unlocked a car by doing the challenges. I really wish there was a way to limit the number of players that joined a game. Sure, you can boot people, then lock the server, but that's clumsy. I've got quite a few challenge tiers with only a couple challenges left. We need to get some GAF sessions together and help people finish their remaining challenges. Relying on random strangers ain't gonna' cut it.

I only have 20 challenges left, so just let me know if you guys wanna do some of em, most of em are in the 6 player ones.

GT - Timan25

OatmealMu

MrTroubleMaker said:

Find a low risk route. Here's the route I used. No barrel rolls and minimal traffic. If you screw up on this run, it's usually your fault alone. Should give you an easy $500,000+ run.

1z48jv4.jpg

OatmealMu said:
Find a low risk route. Here's the route I used. No barrel rolls and minimal traffic. If you screw up on this run, it's usually your fault alone. Should give you an easy $500,000+ run.

1z48jv4.jpg
If you're going to start there, you might as well start a bit further back and get the huge jumps at the quarry and rockridge cliff.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
If you're going to start there, you might as well start a bit further back and get the huge jumps at the quarry and rockridge cliff.

Pretty much, the top quarry jump is the safest multi-barrel roll ramp and the longest jump in the game, whereas the overlook jump is a great place for an easy 400+ degree flatspin. Bang a u-turn after you land it get another jump and billboard at the dam itself, then hit the bridge.

My best runs start at the split ramp onto the train track from Read and then I hit every safe jump/billboard down to the bridge, hit the quarry for a double barrel roll/jump/airtime, the overlook for a flatspin/jump/airtime, the dam for a jump/billboard, and then finish up on the bridge with with jumps/flatspins/billboards. You will be over 2 million by then, take it on into the city if you need the 40x multiplier. :p

The key to getting a good score in a stuntrun is to combine stunts. Don't just do the superjump, do the superjump, airtime, and flat spin. A double barrel roll off of read STARTS you with a 6x multiplier, a triple starts you with a 9x multiplier!

Funny thing about the 40x for me is I planned a route but I kept messing up and having to start over. I got tired of driving back once and just started at some random point and drove around hitting the stunts randomly and got my 40x.

Finally got my Burnout license. The Elite license is very intimidating. My plan for every stunt run is to make it to the quarry or the beach and just slam a few barrel rolls to jack my multiplayer up like mad.

OatmealMu

Gary Whitta said:

Like I said, it's a low risk run. The Rockridge jump can land you into traffic and the quarry is too out of the way for my tastes. I wanted a safe as possible straight shot run that was easy to remember and execute.

Echoes

parallel-park-achievements.jpg

'bout fucking time.

Thanks Oatmeal for the image. I'm 14 win away from my Burnout License and I suck so bad at stunt runs, I'll be following the road you pointed at.

Also (and sorry if it's been posted before): Where is the ideal place to get my x2 barrel rolls? I can do x1 easily, but I always crash when trying to do the second one. :(

zam

Citizenship said:
Also (and sorry if it's been posted before): Where is the ideal place to get my x2 barrel rolls? I can do x1 easily, but I always crash when trying to do the second one. :(
Quarry, just hit the split ramp right by the main entrance, you can get a x2 barrel roll easily with the first car.

FINALLY GOT MY MILLIONAIRE CLUB ACHIEVEMENT! I suck at Stunt Runs so this is a major achievement for me. Finished with 1,625,000.

My strategy is to start at the quarry, land a double flat spin off the big ramp from the main road then come back up and double barrel roll over the rockridge cliff. That adds up to about a x10 multiplier, then over the South Bay Expressway billboard jumps, then directly east along that very rich billboard/jump country, then a final turn north at Wildcat Stadium to hit the billboards there.

Pretty much all my Stunt Runs go along this route now. The clock is pretty irrelevant; just keep boosting to get yourself to your unofficial start line and GO.

I'd post longer impressions here, but, well, I'm lazy.

In short: I hated the demo, but am in L-O-V-E with this game.

I'm only got the game on Friday, but I've already put around 30 hours into it and am working towards my Burnout license. I'm so, so, so close to a few achievements (only need 2 billboards, 1 event, 4 smashes and one jump) and it's killing me.

Also: I'd totally be interested in a GAF game. A buddy and I did all the 2-player challenges and I'm dying to try more!

diddlyD

Banned
i love the open ended multiplayer for just killing time, and i loved finding all the smashes, jumps, and billboards, and i loved the smooth engine...

but i'm done with the events. i was working towards my burnout license, and having to drive all the fucking way across the map to retry every time the game spawns some random vehicle in front of you causing you to lose the race at the last second sucks about as much as anything can possibly suck. fortunately i got the game free from a pal at ea, otherwise i'd be really pissed spending money for criterion to slap their little penis across my face every time i lose. its fucking masochistic. plus, the AI is just as cheesy as it was back in burnout 3, totally ignoring all the physics that you have to struggle with.

almost twisted my ps3 controller in half about 5 minutes ago...

Echoes

Thanks zam, will try that out now.

I think I feel you, diddlyD. But in my case, it's just fun even when losing (even when I get too frustrated). I can handle every, everything, except when civilians cars TURN ON YOU!!! :mad:

Timan

Developer
What a fecking joke.

I just completed the 350 online challenges and I don't even get a car out of it. What a waste of time. So just a tip, once you hit 250 challenges for the achievement, don't bother doing any more.

Sean

Banned
Timan said:
What a fecking joke.

I just completed the 350 online challenges and I don't even get a car out of it. What a waste of time. So just a tip, once you hit 250 challenges for the achievement, don't bother doing any more.

:lol :lol

I was in this game, we spent a long time trying to complete the airfield barrel roll challenge with all 8 players and everyone was excited to see what car you get rewarded with for completing all 350 challenges.

You get absolutely NOTHING! How shitty is that? The least they could've done was retune an existing car's specs and slap a new logo on it or something (every car has like two or three variations anyway). You would think they would reward the completionists who do everything.

I am at 330/350 online challenges and I don't even feel like doing the remaining 20 now.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Timan said:
What a fecking joke.

Hmm, that was the only real reason I was still playing the game. Oh well, it was a blast while it lasted and I definitely got my money's worth out of the title.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
There's not much more gratifying than flying off a jump in white mountain and NAILING a 540 flat spin....when you rarely ever try flat spins.

I won that stunt run.:D

Then there's going so fast on the train tracks that you overshoot the billboard you're trying to hit....and the entire building itself.....thus causing you to slam head on into a wall on the road a couple dozen feet away.

I lsot that stunt run.:lol

BTW, why does it seem liek the stunt runs are easier in the mountains? i had a couple 100,000 point challenges in the city, but all around white mountain, it's sub 90,000. the fuck?

keyrat

Iamthegamer said:
There's not much more gratifying than flying off a jump in white mountain and NAILING a 540 flat spin....when you rarely ever try flat spins.

I won that stunt run.:D

Then there's going so fast on the train tracks that you overshoot the billboard you're trying to hit....and the entire building itself.....thus causing you to slam head on into a wall on the road a couple dozen feet away.

I lsot that stunt run.:lol

BTW, why does it seem liek the stunt runs are easier in the mountains? i had a couple 100,000 point challenges in the city, but all around white mountain, it's sub 90,000. the fuck?

I'm not sure how many points you need in the later challenges, but I find the easiest thing to do is just to use up the time driving to a place with a lot of jumps (like the boardwalk for example), and doing the whole stunt run in one combo. I usually average like 250k so for now it hasn't been too tough.

diddlyD said:
i love the open ended multiplayer for just killing time, and i loved finding all the smashes, jumps, and billboards, and i loved the smooth engine...

but i'm done with the events. i was working towards my burnout license, and having to drive all the fucking way across the map to retry every time the game spawns some random vehicle in front of you causing you to lose the race at the last second sucks about as much as anything can possibly suck...
Yah, you probably should. If the Burnout License has you pulilng your hair out, gunning for the Elite license will bring out your suicidal tendencies.

Woo-Fu said:
Hmm, that was the only real reason I was still playing the game. Oh well, it was a blast while it lasted and I definitely got my money's worth out of the title.

I can understand where he's coming from though. Getting larger groups of 6, 7 or 8 to work together to finish these challenges can get frustrating. It can take the fun right out of the game and if the only thing to show for your work is a list full of checkmarks it may not be worth some people's time. I wouldn't go through the hassle just for an achievement but I just might for a new car.

Erebus

OatmealMu said:

1z48jv4.jpg

Wow that is the exact route I use, everytime I set up an online match.:D

Sean said:
:lol :lol

I was in this game, we spent a long time trying to complete the airfield barrel roll challenge with all 8 players and everyone was excited to see what car you get rewarded with for completing all 350 challenges.

You get absolutely NOTHING! How shitty is that? The least they could've done was retune an existing car's specs and slap a new logo on it or something (every car has like two or three variations anyway). You would think they would reward the completionists who do everything.

I am at 330/350 online challenges and I don't even feel like doing the remaining 20 now.
I agree; it's ridiculous that there's no reward for 350/350. I've pretty much stalled out at 252 challenges because of it; there's very little incentive to do the rest, especially since so many of them are just player-number repetitions of challenges you've already done.

The Elite license is definitely a mega-bitch. In particular the Montgomery Hawker Burning Route is a fucking nightmare; all the way from downtown to the wind farm, and you need a perfect high-speed run to get it done; I did it all the way without a single wreck but not boosting the whole way and finished five seconds short. Given that it takes about five minutes to get back to the start line, I don't feel a lot of incentive to keep trying that either.

As I said in an earlier post this is a great game but it definitely has some really irritating problems that show themselves particularly later in the game.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Gary Whitta said:
I agree; it's ridiculous that there's no reward for 350/350. I've pretty much stalled out at 252 challenges because of it; there's very little incentive to do the rest, especially since so many of them are just player-number repetitions of challenges you've already done.

The Elite license is definitely a mega-bitch. In particular the Montgomery Hawker Burning Route is a fucking nightmare; all the way from downtown to the wind farm, and you need a perfect high-speed run to get it done; I did it all the way without a single wreck but not boosting the whole way and finished five seconds short. Given that it takes about five minutes to get back to the start line, I don't feel a lot of incentive to keep trying that either.

As I said in an earlier post this is a great game but it definitely has some really irritating problems that show themselves particularly later in the game.

I'm wondering if the others who complained about those who "whined" about no retry option still feel the same way?

Rowsdower

So i just got a interesting PM,

Hi Nathan,

My name is Andrew Green from Electronic Arts, and I am using a friends account on NeoGaf to get in touch with you. I wanted to extend an invitation to you for our first Burnout Community Day at EA Redwood Shores. So you know I am legit, you can email me back at agreen@ea.com to communicate about this further.

You will have the opportunity to play and talk with the games lead designer Craig Sullivan, and we will be playing a 8-way multiplayer tournament for some gear for both you and your community. Since there will be a lot of gamers here, I would say only serious gamers should come unless you don’t mind possibly being taken down pretty hard.

The base itinerary will be:

Feb 14th Fly in
Feb 15th Come to EA
Feb 16th Breakfast and fly home

We know Valentines Day is on the 14th, so if you need to fly in early morning on the 15th we can make that possible as well.

Let me know if anyone is interested, we hope you can make it.

Best,

I didn't write to agreen@ea.com to confirm yet, because
1. I don't live in the US
2. My name isn't even Nathan.

If anyone's interested, i could check if it's legit and ask if i can forward this invitation to one of you guys.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
the railroad jumps just off Nelson avenue....oh my god. When you get speed, like, in the gamespot car, hit the two barrel roll ramps, and the extra mini ramp and fire up the super jump ramp over the barn type building....holy fucking shit. it's like a rocket. then you hit the building below, jump down another building to hit that huge ramp that's supposed to make you go through the billboard.....but you're going so fast, you fucking fly over it....then get annihilated when you smash in to the road barrier below....

I did this about 4 times in a row today,

Doc Evils

Rowsdower said:
So i just got a interesting PM,

I didn't write to agreen@ea.com to confirm yet, because
1. I don't live in the US
2. My name isn't even Nathan.

If anyone's interested, i could check if it's legit and ask if i can forward this invitation to one of you guys.

wtf :lol

Been without the internet, but just got my Elite license and found all the billboards earlier this week.

I still have smashes, jumps and challenges to complete, and I'm over 50 hours. Money well spent.

Gary Whitta said:

Use the train tracks. You should have 5 secs to spare with a good run.

Jonsoncao

Banned
still cant get the flatspin achievement...its like how to bash the button to make an huge spin right before the jump, i always just get a 100 degrees spin on the super jump @ lone peaks....
i saw on youtube they get a 400 degree spin here.....

help....

dammitmattt said:
Use the train tracks. You should have 5 secs to spare with a good run.
thats what i used as well.

Still working on my stunt runs, I have 10 left. I finally got into the millionaire club as well. Thanks all for the help :D

daw840

If anyone is on right now I would like to work on some achievements

I already have the 2 player

GT - Qbert420 (360)

Top Bottom