• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

h3ro

Kweh said:
Do you thinkg this update implement the PS3 Trophies?

The upcoming Cagney update won't add Trophies, the next update coming up quickly after Cagney will. Also, just in case you haven't heard yet, the Burnout Paradise trophies will be retroactively given, meaning if you already completed the game, you'll get the trophies based on your old save...

Flunkie

Banned
Woo, can't wait. I think I'm going to be staying up for this, too. :p

So, is it actually official that Cagney won't have trophies, or is it just a rumor or what?

Got the game on Monday for PS3, and I can't believe how awesome it is. I've only played off-line so far, and when you're completing events it feels just like older Burnout games. What I mean by that is, even though Paradise City is an open-world and you have to use the radar/compass to plot your course, when you're actually racing, it "feels" like you're on an old Burnout track. So many shortcuts, jumps, and side-routes.

I've been having so much fun racing, road-raging and doing stunt-runs, but even so I think I've had the most fun just driving around the city exploring, hunting for yellow gates and billboards! I've only had the game for two days and I've already got 300/400 yellow gates and something like 75/120 Billboards :lol

EazyB

Banned
Picked this game up for real cheap about 2 months ago and have yet to throw it in the 360. I played the demo and liked it but didn't want to shell over $60 for it. I have no idea what they've updated since launch but it seems like there will be plenty of content once I start playing it this weekend. Can't wait.

Anton668

flunkie4455 said:
Woo, can't wait. I think I'm going to be staying up for this, too. :p

So, is it actually official that Cagney won't have trophies, or is it just a rumor or what?

Cagney will NOT have tropheys. See link I posted earlier.

EazyB said:
Picked this game up for real cheap about 2 months ago and have yet to throw it in the 360. I played the demo and liked it but didn't want to shell over $60 for it. I have no idea what they've updated since launch but it seems like there will be plenty of content once I start playing it this weekend. Can't wait.

360 you say? No Cagney for you! Your outa luck till the 24th.

P.S. 6 hours left (PS3)

Remy

fistfulofmetal said:
Hey PS3 people. Tomorrow. We're playing. No excuses.

You're goddamn right we are.

What time is everyone available tomorrow? I should be home and able to play by 7 EST.

Anton668

Remy said:
You're goddamn right we are.

What time is everyone available tomorrow? I should be home and able to play by 7 EST.

I'll prob be up for the update @ 3am. And play till I pass out (or get kicked in the head by the GF). So, i'll be around most of the morn (or not depending on a head kick).

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Anton668 said:
Cagney will NOT have tropheys. See link I posted earlier.

360 you say? No Cagney for you! Your outa luck till the 24th.

P.S. 6 hours left (PS3)
Maybe they're also addressing the framerate issues. Or they could have fixed them already. I haven't been keeping up with the patches.

I would love to see them use this game as a testing platform for where they want to take the series (and it looks like they already are). For example, I would love to see a Micro Machines racing mode, where you score points by getting a certain distance away from the group.

You know, I think the best thing in this update is the fixed ranked races

We're always trying to improving the ranked race experience, so we've made a stack of changes to improve this as part of our upcoming Cagney software update.

Some players will always look for ways to exploit the game. Here's the easiest way to cheat:

1. Create complex routes that only you know, and then start the race quickly to ensure your rivals don’t get the chance to preview the course.

2. Lock everyone into 5 rounds for maximum points.

3. And if you're really devious, host Paradise Drive routes but then change them at the last minute before launching the event.

This is a real pain for players just looking for a good, fair race, so we've made a bunch of changes that'll go live as part of our Cagney software update.

Custom Routes are no longer featured in competition races
You can choose from 40 predefined Paradise Drives that we’ve sanctioned – 7 came from fans, 10 more came from the team. They're all great routes – we hope you enjoy them!

Sanctioned Routes have their own Time Leaderboards
The new routes each have their own leaderboard, so you can all see who’s the fastest per route. Now, it’s now not just about winning a race, you can now measure your finish time against everyone else's.

Traffic can no longer be switched off in competition races
For the sanctioned routes, we've optimized the traffic density for great racing, so there's no need to switch it off.

No more ‘rounds’ in competition racing
Most 5-round races don’t end with the same number of players that started. Many players disconnect, when they feel like there's no chance of winning, so we've got rid of the concept of rounds.

Now, you can't get locked into a 5 round race without knowing where the races are going and you can select a car that suits the race and your driving style. It also means the scoring system reacts after every race, so it's quicker and if you do disconnect, you only lose your results for the race you were on.

Cars can be grouped by Boost Rating
If you're hosting, you can limit the cars available based on the Boost Speed of the car. Limiting to Boost Level 3 cars, for example, still gives you 10 massively varied cars but they'll all be pretty closely matched for great racing. (We’ve also fixed a few anomalies in the car groupings and changed the order so it's easier to check out the cars in the select screen). This adds a ton of variety to the racing and we'll see a much wider range of cars used – not just the PCPD!

Car Select now appears after the Race Route has been selected
Switching to single races also allows us to make sure everyone gets to see the route before the car select. The host can't make sure they're the only one who knows the route, and now everyone gets a chance to choose an appropriate car.

The host can't kick other players any more
Hosts are kicking players in ranked games to ensure they can win. Pointless and irritating. So we’ve stopped it. The downside to this is that there's no way to kick an abusive player, although if you're hosting, you can just quit the session. In the future we'll have a simple vote system that allows the host to vote to kick someone - they'll still need a majority decision from the remaining players for the kick to activate.

Grid position is based on player ranking
In the past, the very first grid was set randomly – clearly this doesn’t make sense. Now, the grid's based on ranking with the highest ranked player at the back.

Full Boost Bars
We've made it so that all cars have full boost off the grid. Now, the race can get going quicker and with the higher ranked players at the back of the grid, lower ranked players benefit from a small advantage.

Rank and Ranking Points are displayed in game
We’ve added your rank and ranking points to the player list on Today’s Best. This will update periodically if races are run so you can see how everyone's points and rank have changed whilst in the game.

New map icons differentiate the Start and Finish points
Simple change but one that makes a real difference. We’ve seen players making poor route choices, because this wasn't clear, so we've fixed it.

Overall these changes add up to a much sharper ranked race experience.

The racing's better, we’ve removed the ability to exploit, we’ve added clearer ranking changes and the addition of leaderboards gives a completely new way for you to compete. Now it’s not just about scoring from a win, it’s about racing to become the fastest on a route. Real Competition.

No longer do I have to deal with retarded convoluted races

SapientWolf said:
Maybe they're also addressing the framerate issues. Or they could have fixed them already. I haven't been keeping up with the patches.
I've been playing a lot of BP on the 360 lately and as far as I could tell it's been addressed. The big problem used to be it would hitch when it would need to stream in a new "zone".

OatmealMu

SapientWolf said:

I would love to see them use this game as a testing platform for where they want to take the series (and it looks like they already are). For example, I would love to see a Micro Machines racing mode, where you score points by getting a certain distance away from the group.

The Micro Machine mode could be fun. I'd really like the ability to block off routes when creating races. Typically, when races start, players tend to split up. I find the racing a lot more interesting when the group remains tight.

Flunkie

Banned
I'm staying up so I can download the patch in an hour, then going to bed so I can wake up early and play.

I'll be up to play in the morning and maybe early afternoon, then anytime after 10 PM CST.

Flunkie

Banned
Cagney is up in Japan, the UK and Australia now. It still isn't up for North America yet.

Edit: The update is up for North America!

STG

downloaded, installed

everything works fine, and the new title screen looks awesome

but I still don't know how to enable custom soundtracks :/

edit: got it, its in the easy drive menu, and not in the soundtrack option menu

STG said:
downloaded, installed

everything works fine, and the new title screen looks awesome

but I still don't know how to enable custom soundtracks :/

edit: got it, its in the easy drive menu, and not in the soundtrack option menu
how big is the update?

Top Bottom