• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Aladuf

Banned
Victrix said:
Can I pay $10 for DLC that permanently removes the ads? :(
Do they really bother you that much? I can honestly say that not once have I ever noticed or have been bothered by ads around the city. I remember right at launch getting a chuckle out of all the CompUSA ads because of their recent closing but otherwise I don't notice those things.

speaking of the ads ...

I just noticed something, I've been playing the PS3 version mostly since the Cagney update, since the 360's wasn't up till recently. Since its been updated too, I've been playing that version as well. Some of the billboards on the PS3 have the Crash FM "advert" (they have been there like that since day one) , now on the 360, those same billboards that were the Crash FM ones are now adverts for subway. This makes me think, are they now using dynamic advertising in the game? If they are this could explain why the bikes are free (I thought at one time they were going to be paid DLC) any thoughts?

Shearie

speaking of the ads ...

I just noticed something, I've been playing the PS3 version mostly since the Cagney update, since the 360's wasn't up till recently. Since its been updated too, I've been playing that version as well. Some of the billboards on the PS3 have the Crash FM "advert" (they have been there like that since day one) , now on the 360, those same billboards that were the Crash FM ones are now adverts for subway. This makes me think, are they now using dynamic advertising in the game? If they are this could explain why the bikes are free (I thought at one time they were going to be paid DLC) any thoughts?

I remember reading that only the 360 version has dynamic advertising because, at the time of BP's release, Sony didn't allow it for whatever reason. I also remember reading that Sony has changed their stance on the issue though.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
The subway ads were there before the update. Im pretty sure the Ads change weekly, I just saw some Gillete Fusion vans that were never there for the past week ive played and now all the subway ads are gone for me that were there last week also.

Since its a racing game i feel the ads add to the actual games feel that you are racing in a city.

Mar

Metalic Sand said:
I dont really get the point of the 2 new cars with no boost. I messed around with the hunter olympus online only to get trailed by a friend with his Boosting/Strength truck.

The Olympus is the strongest vehicle in the game. You can plow through oncoming traffic etc. It's not meant to be a boost / fast car.

Talking about ads. They haven't bothered me at all. After the first week of playing I didn't even notice they were there anymore either. If you're able to read the signs, you aren't going fast enough.

Victrix

*beard*
Metalic Sand said:
Since its a racing game i feel the ads add to the actual games feel that you are racing in a city.

Every single time I see this argument I want to strangle someone

I choose you

ok so I have 360 and PS3, and basically which version should I get?

1. Do GAFFERS still play online on PS3 or 360?

2.How are the technical issues (I heard the 360 version is patched and equal to the ps3 version now)?

3.How do custom soundtracks work for both version since the Soundtrack only has 2 songs I like (Would? and Rusty Cage).

im guessing with new updates the game gets its still possible for a newcomer to get some online play with it since previous player will return for the new content.

Shearie

I still play the PS3 version online and every single person that's ever played with me has INSTANTLY FELL IN LOVE WITH ME!!!!!!!! I'M THAT GREAT!!!!!!!!!

Mar

ZombieSupaStar said:
ok so I have 360 and PS3, and basically which version should I get?

2.How are the technical issues (I heard the 360 version is patched and equal to the ps3 version now)?

3.How do custom soundtracks work for both version since the Soundtrack only has 2 songs I like (Would? and Rusty Cage).

im guessing with new updates the game gets its still possible for a newcomer to get some online play with it since previous player will return for the new content.

1. Not sure about 'gaffers'. But I still play and there are always half a million games going.

2. Both are the same.

3. Not sure about PS3, but the 360 works like it always has.

Really the only difference between PS3 and 360 are achievements. And trophies are getting added to the PS3 version soon so it's really up to whatever console you like more.

big_z

wow new title screen and all that jazz.... i'll have to check it out more later.
does anyone know if custom soundtracks now get quieter/fade out when atomica is talking or other events that cause this?

h3ro

ZombieSupaStar said:

1. Don't know about 360, but whenever there has been an update or new patch for BO:p, we've had GAF rooms up for a few nights following in the PS3 version. MP is awesome, set up is nice and easy...

2. No technical issues at all, both are smooth as hell.

3. Custom soundtracks on PS3 take two button presses on the mini menu...

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Aladuf said:
Do they really bother you that much? I can honestly say that not once have I ever noticed or have been bothered by ads around the city. I remember right at launch getting a chuckle out of all the CompUSA ads because of their recent closing but otherwise I don't notice those things.

Who gives a crap about ads? Do you stop watching TV because there are commercials? In Burnout, they are not jammed down your throat at all and makes the city looks "real" to some degree. I don't mind ads like this. Ads that are in natural places do not bother me. Now showing an entire commercial in the middle of a game, that would bother me.

Howdy! I'm part of the 'pile in at $30!!!!' crowd. Huge fan of 3 and Revenge, and I have to say that Paradise feels very much like an evolved Burnout game. From what little I've seen so far, I simply don't get the whole 'the open world has ruined this series' mentality. Not to mention that the whole game is just a pretty stunning technical achievement. Woot!

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Pile in at £15 for me!

If the OP sees this, please could he add me to the PSN list: B-Genius.
Anyone else who fancies it, see ya on the streets!

Ramenman

dskillzhtown said:
Who gives a crap about ads? Do you stop watching TV because there are commercials? In Burnout, they are not jammed down your throat at all and makes the city looks "real" to some degree. I don't mind ads like this. Ads that are in natural places do not bother me. Now showing an entire commercial in the middle of a game, that would bother me.

I don't know to what degree those ads are in Burnout Paradise, but if that's the reason behind the DLC becoming free all of a sudden then I'm all for it.

Aladuf

Banned
dskillzhtown said:
Also very true.

Mar

egocrata said:
Did my part, got it for PS3 at BB for $30. Any advice for a first-time Burnout driver? :D

Aggression cars are your best bet throughout most of the single player game. I used them for everything except a few stunt events. Avoid the speed cars.

In online, stunt cars seem to be the most balanced for everything you need to do. Racing and challenges.

Acid08

Banned
I was browsing the GS on my lunch break and saw this new for $30. Snatched their last copy up. Can't wait to get into it.

soldat7

I had a new copy of BP in my hands and walked up to the register. Then I saw the Arbiter action figure (MacFarlane) behind the register.

I walked away with the Arbiter leaving BP behind. Epic fail?

(I was not impressed by the demo...)

h3ro

soldat7 said:
I had a new copy of BP in my hands and walked up to the register. Then I saw the Arbiter action figure (MacFarlane) behind the register.

The demo did a horrible job of representing what the game is like... one of the rare cases of a demo not giving the right section/taste of gameplay that turns people off to a game... If you like racing games, and going fast and awesome crashes, buy it. I've put over 100 hours into this game and the game is still fresh because of all the great additions that Criterion keep adding. Well worth the money.

Unless you plan on making some awesome machinima with that Arbiter, its an epic fail. :p

Aladuf

Banned
I gotta agree with h3ro, soldat... walking out with an Arbiter figure instead of Paradise (also like he said, unless it's intended to be used for some epic machinima) was an epic fail.

Like he also said and it's been said a million times, the Paradise demo is a poor description of the real game. Maybe when you get a few bucks again you can go pick it up. :)

Mar

soldat7 said:

My 230 hours total agrees with your assumption of epic fail.

Also, my 360 just died with 3RR. Marathon burnout session this weekend, cancelled. Fuck you, Microsoft.

I love Paradise so much I'm thinking a PS3 and doing it all over again isn't such a bad idea.

Penguin

Well, I finally caved after months of will he/won't he and bought the 360 version today at Gamestop for 25.

Pretty sweet game. Now to talk my friends into getting it. :D

Aladuf

Banned
Argh! Just thinking about the trophies makes me go crazy, after seeing what patching trophies into Uncharted will do for replay value I can't wait to see how much I'll be playing Paradise again for them trofeez!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Aladuf said:
Argh! Just thinking about the trophies makes me go crazy, after seeing what patching trophies into Uncharted will do for replay value I can't wait to see how much I'll be playing Paradise again for them trofeez!

You wont need to play Paradise again. What you got till now will be automatically mirrored in your trophies once the game gets patched. It's different from Uncharted as the Paradise save file was linked to the PSN account since the beginning, so it's not possible to cheat the system copying a save file over.

Aladuf

Banned
TTP said:
You wont need to play Paradise again. What you got till now will be automatically mirrored in your trophies once the game gets patched. It's different from Uncharted as the Paradise save file was linked to the PSN account since the beginning, so it's not possible to cheat the system copying a save file over.

Oh I know that, but I still have about 20 "in game achievements" that I haven't unlocked so I think the real trophies will finally drive me (hur hur) to complete all of the events in the game to get them.

Shins

Banned
VOOK said:
Sure why not, you can play MGS4 on a Llama too.
don't post while high
rolleyes.gif

Mar_ said:
My 230 hours total agrees with your assumption of epic fail.

Also, my 360 just died with 3RR. Marathon burnout session this weekend, cancelled. Fuck you, Microsoft.

I love Paradise so much I'm thinking a PS3 and doing it all over again isn't such a bad idea.
sorry to hear about your 360 :(

but you'll have fun all over again on the PS3, I have both and that's what I did :D I'm almost in the 202% club :D

I have all but two of the achievements unlocked and those two are the road rules ones because I can't find the time to care about getting the fastest times or highest crashes on streets in the mountains.

What do you think will be the hardest trophy to get? The hardest one for me was the one where you have to complete a marked man with the F1 car. You don't get the F1 car until really late in the game so you have to finish the mission against 4 (or is it 5?) cars and super aggressive AI. I think it took me 25 minutes of trying and that was on the easiest marked man route.

Mar

bune duggy said:
The hardest one for me was the one where you have to complete a marked man with the F1 car.

That's interesting. I figured they'd just make the same achievements for both versions. But there isn't an achievement for that in the 360 version. Urge to buy a PS3... Rising.

ascii42

Mar_ said:
That's interesting. I figured they'd just make the same achievements for both versions. But there isn't an achievement for that in the 360 version. Urge to buy a PS3... Rising.
I think the PS3 one has around 10 or so additional achievements beyond the 360, most are the same though.

mr stroke

Acid08 said:
I was browsing the GS on my lunch break and saw this new for $30. Snatched their last copy up. Can't wait to get into it.

wow its 30$ now?
I might have to jump in...still alot of people online?

BuRT!

The $30 price point is really tempting. Which version has the most people playing online regularly?(not just gaffers)

Mar

mr stroke said:
wow its 30$ now?
I might have to jump in...still alot of people online?

Shitloads of people. The lists are always maxed, and there are always a multitude of 8 player games to choose from 24/7. The lower player games always fill up quick too.

Volcynika

Ok, I've spent a couple hours driving around and I'm enjoying the game. Any tips for beginners and such in general, like I don't get much of the stunt driving and all that. Probably will go online with it this weekend (PS3 version).

Got the PS3 version this morning and out in about two hours. Fun stuff. I've mostly been doing Marked Man races first since I someone advised I get those done before the AI gets tougher. It's fun. And trying to takedown cars around the city to get them at the junkyard is sweet. Need to try playing online. Lots of PS3 Burnout players here? PSN name is JPBrowncoat.

Roxas

The game gets super awesome when you complete your B license, thats when you start getting the cool cars. I found all the smashes today and got rewarded with a fuck awesome car (Carbon GT Concept)

Edit : ^ Yes im a PS3 player, am on Burnout most nights, add me if you like...PSN = Goonboy

Wizpig

I don't know if you guys noticed, but on the start-up screen calendar there was a circle around yesterday... what was supposed to happen?

Also, do we have a date for the Bike update?
If Microsoft delays that too i will be a "little" angry.

Top Bottom