• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

btkadams

burgerdog said:
8 events to go for my very last license and they are all stunt runs, fack, I suck at those.
at least you probably know how to do them... ive had the game since release and i still havent done any stunts and have no idea how lol.

Mar

Roxas said:
The game gets super awesome when you complete your B license, thats when you start getting the cool cars. I found all the smashes today and got rewarded with a fuck awesome car (Carbon GT Concept)

The Carbon cars are indeed awesome. I use the Carbon X12 for everything online. I've found it to be the best over all car for anything you need. You just have to get used to it's flighty controls it has sometimes. Especially under acceleration.

btkadams said:
at least you probably know how to do them... ive had the game since release and i still havent done any stunts and have no idea how lol.

Stunt runs are initially the hard events. But they become pretty easy when you learn the basic idea. Which is to keep your stunt chain going. When you do a stunt, or tap your boost, a timer will appear up the top of the screen and start counting down. If you tap your boost again, it fills up again. The trick here is that as long as that timer is going, you have infinite time to do whatever you like. The main timer will run out but because you are in the middle of a chain, the game will never end until your chain does.

So, no matter where you start a stunt event, just boost tap your way to your desired destination and start doing stunts. Around the bridge area in the south was my usual stunt area.

It isn't a glitch or cheat. They designed it this way. Online stunt run works the same.

Volcynika

Maybe I'm blind, but how can you tell if you've already done an event? And by done I mean completed, not trying a race and failing. Sometimes I accidentally choose events I've already done, and it's just a practice run or w/e.

Volcynika said:
Maybe I'm blind, but how can you tell if you've already done an event? And by done I mean completed, not trying a race and failing. Sometimes I accidentally choose events I've already done, and it's just a practice run or w/e.
Checkmark over the intersection logo.

just got the game tues and spent about 3 hours today doing all the super jumps.

hopefully the X12 will make the rest of the game easier, (except marked man and road rage)

I'm thinking about picking up this game, looks good for $30. Is it easy to get into for someone who has never played a Burnout game before? I tried the demo and it seems fun, although a bit tough too.

Mar

Shalashaska said:
I'm thinking about picking up this game, looks good for $30. Is it easy to get into for someone who has never played a Burnout game before? I tried the demo and it seems fun, although a bit tough too.

I had never played a burnout before this one. It isn't a hard game by any means. It's more of a fuck around have fun game. Throughout all my time playing it I wouldn't say anything was difficult (except getting 350/350 challenges done. But that's not required to do and only perfectionists and psychopaths do it).

Pimpwerx

Just ordered the game. Should be here next week, which will make it hard to focus on my new job. When is the trophy patch due? PEACE.

Anton668

Mar_ said:
I had never played a burnout before this one. It isn't a hard game by any means. It's more of a fuck around have fun game. Throughout all my time playing it I wouldn't say anything was difficult (except getting 350/350 challenges done. But that's not required to do and only perfectionists and psychopaths do it).

Um... I think their giving out something for 350/350 in one of the next updates. Or are thinking about it. There was something on the Criterion forums.

No exact date on trophies yet. All they said was "between Cagney and Davis"

Any PS3 players can add me, PSN: Anton_Lavaire
Just Just add GAF in the message so I know where its from.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Cant wait till the nightime racing is added, Should make it alot easier to get 20x boost chain and just make racing overall easier then being blinded by the sun on certain sections.

Wizpig

Heh, i played 4-5 times after DLC came out, but today my 360 said the DLC was damaged or something... well, WITHOUT downloading it again, just by resetting the game, i have now the DLC working again.
Happened to anyone on Ps3 or 360?

I'm still like "wtf just happened"...

Saurus

Wizpig said:
Heh, i played 4-5 times after DLC came out, but today my 360 said the DLC was damaged or something... well, WITHOUT downloading it again, just by resetting the game, i have now the DLC working again.
Happened to anyone on Ps3 or 360?

I'm still like "wtf just happened"...

Happened to me twice and to a friend over the weekend. He just downloaded it again and it fixed the problem. I had to go through multiple reboots, deleting updates and downloads to get it working again...

Anton668 said:
No exact date on trophies yet. All they said was "between Cagney and Davis"
They really said that? Davis is supposed to come out this month. The trophie patch can't be far off then.
I'm really looking forward to patching the game and getting the platinum trophie in an instant. :D

Agent X

IGN has a hands-on preview of the Burnout Bikes update:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/898/898555p1.html

According to the article, you'll have two motorcycles unlocked from the get-go, with two more that need to be unlocked. The fastest of these is faster than the fastest car in the game. None of the motorcycles have boost. Also worth mentioning is that you'll have a separate license for the bikes, and there's a whole new set of Freeburn challenges.

They also describe the day-night transitions. The pace of the day-night cycle can be adjusted, from real-time up to a 24 minute sequence. I think that's the best way to handle this, as I'd love to see the transitions during a short play session, but I also think it's worthwhile to have a real-time option.

Agent X said:
None of the motorcycles have boost.

This makes me sad.**

Theres no way I'll be able to keep myself from mashing the boost button. Hell I do it all the time in GTA4.

All vehicles everywhere should have boost. Just because.

[EDIT]**: Everything else makes me insanely happy. Amazing stuff.

DuckRacer

The third main addition with this update is dynamic weather. Unlike the time of day, you won't have any control over Mother Nature, though her efforts don't affect your driving at all. The weather changes are simply more of a visual thing to help give more life to the world. It can get foggy and overcast, though it won't ever actually rain as that would indeed have an adverse affect on your driving. However, like many other elements of the game, it's possible that Criterion will expand upon the weather effects in the future.

I'm told that the Burnout Bikes update will incorporate some 15 hours of gameplay, which is pretty nuts considering that this is a free update. No specific date has been set yet, however we can expect the patch sometime in September.
Awesome.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
And I can't wait for a trophy patch :D!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
For fucks sake, I can't find the game cheap ANYWHERE! I live in Europe and import is no problem.

Any tips?

EDIT: Also, what exactly are the trophy requirements? How hard are they to obtain? I seriously LOVED the demo (played it for over 20 hours) and I don't know why I didn't buy the full game. It's just like Skate.

Agent X said:

According to the article, you'll have two motorcycles unlocked from the get-go, with two more that need to be unlocked. The fastest of these is faster than the fastest car in the game. None of the motorcycles have boost. Also worth mentioning is that you'll have a separate license for the bikes, and there's a whole new set of Freeburn challenges.

They also describe the day-night transitions. The pace of the day-night cycle can be adjusted, from real-time up to a 24 minute sequence. I think that's the best way to handle this, as I'd love to see the transitions during a short play session, but I also think it's worthwhile to have a real-time option.

soundz great. criterion deserves a lot of respect imo.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Seiken said:
For fucks sake, I can't find the game cheap ANYWHERE! I live in Europe and import is no problem.

Any tips?

EDIT: Also, what exactly are the trophy requirements? How hard are they to obtain? I seriously LOVED the demo (played it for over 20 hours) and I don't know why I didn't buy the full game. It's just like Skate.
The built-in achievements aren't particularly tough, they just require time. You'll unlock most of them through the course of the game as you get new licenses

Yoshichan

kenta said:
The built-in achievements aren't particularly tough, they just require time. You'll unlock most of them through the course of the game as you get new licenses
Ah, sounds great!

kenta said:

The boosting for a mile one I found tricky, mostly because I have no idea how many yards in a mile (I actually asked in this thread, so the answer will be somewhere in here). I actually crashed right on the mile, but I got the award.

Also I wish every open world game with stuff to collect (like hidden packages/orbs/etc.) did what BOP does and let you see how many of each you had got from each area, made tracking down the last few much easier, as you could just focus on the sections where you knew some were missing. Still not quite as good as what Okami did with its stray beads.

Angelcurio

After 88 hours of gameplay time, and 99% of game completion, and after only lacking two awards, the 40x stunt run multiplier and 20x burnout chain one, there was a black out and my data was corrupted.

All that is left is a corrupted saved file that the game doesnt read, so when you pout the game it simply starts as if its the first time you are playing it. Now i will have to restart the game from scratch. That will teach me to backup saved files.

AniHawk

This is the first DLC that really sounds awesome. I liked Bring down the Sky in Mass Effect, but you kinda have to be a Mass Effect fanboy like me to enjoy it.

EDIT: Holy awesome, and it's FREE?

so it comes with two bikes? I thought we were going to have to pay for the bikes? Have they changed that bit of the update? (haven't kept up with the podcasts since you have to watch them now)

Aladuf

Banned
Burnout Paradise +1

I just bought a copy of it for my brother since it was his birthday... now it may be time for me to double dip and get myself the 360 version to play with him too.

Agent X

bune duggy said:
so it comes with two bikes? I thought we were going to have to pay for the bikes? Have they changed that bit of the update? (haven't kept up with the podcasts since you have to watch them now)

Although it was originally supposed to be paid content, a recent post on PlayStation.Blog indicated that this update would be offered for free.

then I'm at a loss as to how they are recouping costs for the development of these updates. Bravo Criterion for making everything free but damn. I wonder what the LTD is for this game, and if the new $30 price is making a nice spike.

Agent X

Wizpig said:
Still wondering if this Bike update will reach Ps3 and 360 the same day.
Is that update TBA or does it have a date?

It's supposed to be September.

bune duggy said:
then I'm at a loss as to how they are recouping costs for the development of these updates. Bravo Criterion for making everything free but damn. I wonder what the LTD is for this game, and if the new $30 price is making a nice spike.

Perhaps they figure that by continuing to develop extra content for the Burnout Paradise, they'll spur new interest in the game from people who haven't purchased it yet. Now that it's only $30, it's one of this year's best gaming bargains.

I also have a feeling that the "Eastwood" update (the island pack) will end up being a paid download.

Mar

Agent X said:
I also have a feeling that the "Eastwood" update (the island pack) will end up being a paid download.

It can't be due to the very nature of the game. It's an open world with no loading between areas. There is no way to restrict those who haven't bought the content from going to the island.

Something will be a paid DLC at some point. There has to be. But I'm not sure what it will be.

Agent X said:

cool! thanks :)

Between the bikes, day/night cycle and them finally including weather, I'm inclined to think this might be the biggest free update EVER on Live. Props to Criterian for including things now that should have been on the original disc.

Roxas

akachan ningen said:
That's kind of silly considering that there are no bodies driving the cars. They should have the bikes go without a rider too.

No, because that would look stupid. At least with the cars there's the roof and windows covering the "driver".

Roxas said:
No, because that would look stupid. At least with the cars there's the roof and windows covering the "driver".

not when the windows break. It looks stupid no matter how you do it, at least they should be consistent. The rider vanishing is going to look really dumb.

Mar_ said:
It can't be due to the very nature of the game. It's an open world with no loading between areas. There is no way to restrict those who haven't bought the content from going to the island.

Something will be a paid DLC at some point. There has to be. But I'm not sure what it will be.

The idea is that whenever they release one of these updates, they refresh all the ads in the game. That's how it's paid for. Brilliant idea.

that is kind of brilliant, hadn't thought about that.
Superblatt said:
Between the bikes, day/night cycle and them finally including weather, I'm inclined to think this might be the biggest free update EVER on Live. Props to Criterian for including things now that should have been on the original disc.
that's quite a negative way to look at it. They've been working on these updates for quite a few months now (assuming they started day of release that's 7 months) so it couldn't have been on the disc.

AndyD

aka andydumi
StrikerObi said:
The idea is that whenever they release one of these updates, they refresh all the ads in the game. That's how it's paid for. Brilliant idea.

Im all for it. I actually enjoy smashing those Gilette vans. I wish other games took this approach.

Aladuf

Banned
I now have the 360 version of Paradise too, I'm drowning in Burnout :D

I'm having fun replaying this bad boy and getting some good ol' achievements right now. If any of you 360 Burnout players ever want to race send a friend request to: Aladuf23 on xbl.

Also, PS3 guys, when the trophy patch comes out, we need to get some games going.. and I hope to get in on more games this time, last time I didn't get in on enough.

Top Bottom