• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Aladuf said:
Welp I just decided to buy Burnout off of the PSN. I had to do it, the whore in me wanted to beat it again and get some trophies in the process. And while I know we haven't played in a while I'd still like to get in some games with a few of the guys again once we're all brought together by some free DLC in the future. :D

You know alot of people were pissed that they have to do the whole game again to get Trophies they just need to look at the Trophies and you can get them in like 10 to 12 hours.. all of them since you do not have to get the Elite License, only Burnout License and that should not take long for anyone who has done Elite.

Aladuf

Banned
Unregistered007 said:
You know alot of people were pissed that they have to do the whole game again to get Trophies they just need to look at the Trophies and you can get them in like 10 to 12 hours.. all of them since you do not have to get the Elite License, only Burnout License and that should not take long for anyone who has done Elite.
Yeah, it shouldn't take too long at all. When I beat the game on the 360 recently it only took me about 3 days to do. It took me forever to beat it on the PS3 the first time but that's because we all used to play online so much I'd never actually play the single player. I'm sure it'll take me a little while this time too since I've beaten the game twice before and the fact that LBP comes out next week and Gears 2 is about 2 weeks after that but I've found myself really wanting this on the PS3 again to mess around with every so often.

scitek

I just got my Burnout license and completed about 15 events afterward. The game had been fun up to this point since I didn't have to complete every event to advance, but now that I do, the game has just fallen apart. It's just a colossal mish-mash of fuck-ups. The high-end stunt cars handle like shit, so it's nearly impossible to get 300,000+ on a regular basis unless you're near the south bridge or the airport. Every time I land a jump the car goes into a fish-tailing frenzy and decides it'd be better suited using a wall to stop itself. Or it'll just barely clip a *insert object that really shouldn't affect a car's handling here (fruit fly?)* and decide to reward me with countless flips and flops, rivaling many presidential candidates. (Each and every single one of those flips and flops being watched, by the way, since I can't fucking TURN THE CRASH CAM OFF. I'm willing to bet 3 hours of my total elapsed playtime with this game is just from watching my car wreck.)

The races are also a lot harder now, but not because of a lack of speed with my car or any actual advance in difficulty, but because my fellow racers like to kamikaze their way into oncoming traffic, conveniently angling their demise right into my fucking path. Every. Single. Time. And if they don't wreck traffic into me, the traffic feels its beneficial to themselves to kindly veer into my lane for NO REASON AT ALL. No exaggeration here, a car just fucking drove across the line and into my front bumper for absolutely no apparent reason. Apparently Criterion has reached a new milestone in A.I.--suicidal tendencies.

I could go on with the complaints--obviously the lack of a restart option becomes really frustrating when you reach this point, and the total inability of the "turn signals" to tell you when to turn (you don't really have time to look at the poorly implemented map in the corner when you have both racers AND traffic to worry about), leaving you barreling down the wrong road at 200mph is really, REALLY something that needs to be fixed.

The extra content and all is certainly something that needs to be commended, and it's the reason I bought the game, but I've seen how the complaints about the actual gameplay have gone largely ignored due to nothing more than stubbornness, and that's almost, almost enough to completely cancel out all that Criterion's done right support-wise.

I don't regret having bought the game, it was only $30 and I've gotten plenty of play-time out of it, but I'd like to have enjoyed it thoroughly all the way through and not have to debate before putting the disc in whether or not I want to put up with the frustration that will soon follow.

BTW, I totally get their stance on the restart thing, getting to know the city and all, and up to the Burnout License, it's not an issue. Would it not have been possible to unlock a restart option once you achieve the Burnout license, though? I think that would have worked a lot better since that's when you really could use it. Just a thought.

The trick to stunt runs? Reverse... ALL THE TIME! :lol

I got 3.5m without really trying on one of them. It was at that point I realised that it would be never ending.

Mar

scitek said:
The high-end stunt cars handle like shit, so it's nearly impossible to get 300,000+ on a regular basis unless you're near the south bridge or the airport.

You just need to learn how to use stunt run. The trick is to tap your boost every now and again. The timer that appears in the upper middle of the screen is your stunt combo. As long as that timer is ticking, the stunt run NEVER ends. You have infinite time to go wherever you need to go to do your stunt. As long as you don't crash, and you keep the timer ticking by tapping boost, you have forever to get a score.

The races are also a lot harder now, but not because of a lack of speed with my car or any actual advance in difficulty

It actually is an increase in difficulty. You'll notice traffic isn't suicidal until you reach this point. Sure, one could argue it's a frustrating way to increase the difficulty. But really, nothing in the game is hard, so they had to do it some way. The only hard thing to do in the whole game, in the whole 300 hours I've played, is getting all the online challenges done.

I don't regret having bought the game, it was only $30 and I've gotten plenty of play-time out of it

Yeah, and that's the crux of the matter here. You enjoyed the game for what you paid for it and that's great. But too many people come into BP threads and have a giant whinge and complain about the game, not addressing the fact that for the money, there's not many better deals out there. Regardless if you have problems with the gameplay design or not.

I too had issues with the game in regards to the points you brought up. But if you keep pressing on eventually you get over it and realise it's just the way the game works, and without that it wouldn't be the great game it is.

Snipes424

Anyone else need the "be on the Blue team for Online Road Rage" and Be on the Red team for Online Road Rage" trophies? I think you need 8 people to do them. So if you count me, we only need 7 more!!! Anyone up to it? We can also do some Freeburn challenges, and timed Freeburn challenges if you want to.

Volcynika

Snipes424 said:
Anyone else need the "be on the Blue team for Online Road Rage" and Be on the Red team for Online Road Rage" trophies? I think you need 8 people to do them. So if you count me, we only need 7 more!!! Anyone up to it? We can also do some Freeburn challenges, and timed Freeburn challenges if you want to.

I got those sorts of trophies with just me and one friend. :p

crispyben

Hey there fellow BP nuts, I have two questions for you.

I play a PAL copy, I'm 15 wins away from Elite (all races), I've taken down all my opponents, I've won all Burning Routes, the data in the pause menu says I've got 78/78 cars, I've unlocked three sponsor cars (Micromania, Gamestop and Steel Wheels), I have all 4 bikes, the garage says I have 80/82 vehicles, and yet it seems I still have three cars to unlock (Carbon Nakamura Ikusa GT, Carbon Kitano Hydros Custom, Carbon Krieger Uberschall 8).

Where's the catch?

Also, the DJ seems to have gone missing since I got my Burnout license, any idea why?

crispyben said:
Also, the DJ seems to have gone missing since I got my Burnout license, any idea why?
Odd, the exact same thing just happened to me with 4 races left.

How do you get the micromania car btw? I have the others.

Mar

crispyben said:
Hey there fellow BP nuts, I have two questions for you.

I play a PAL copy, I'm 15 wins away from Elite (all races), I've taken down all my opponents, I've won all Burning Routes, the data in the pause menu says I've got 78/78 cars, I've unlocked three sponsor cars (Micromania, Gamestop and Steel Wheels), I have all 4 bikes, the garage says I have 80/82 vehicles, and yet it seems I still have three cars to unlock (Carbon Nakamura Ikusa GT, Carbon Kitano Hydros Custom, Carbon Krieger Uberschall 8).

Where's the catch?

Yeah the numbers for the cars don't match up for some reason. But when you've completed everything it will.

The DJ does disappear after a certain point. They assume you've heard enough of him by the time you get near the end of the game. I haven't heard him for a very, very long time.

Alright.

So, as a long term Burnout fan I finally picked this game up a couple of days ago (I was waiting for the Aus price to be right).

I like it. Feels nice, looks good.

But... I have a noobish question. How do you barrell roll? And is there an art to the flat spins? I pretty much suck at tricks atm.

Mar

Poimandres said:
Alright.

So, as a long term Burnout fan I finally picked this game up a couple of days ago (I was waiting for the Aus price to be right).

I like it. Feels nice, looks good.

But... I have a noobish question. How do you barrell roll? And is there an art to the flat spins? I pretty much suck at tricks atm.

Barrel rolling remains the hardest trick in burnout. You are never guaranteed to land on your wheels. The online challenge to land a barrel roll through the hoop at the airfield gets easier over time, but is still hit and miss no matter how long you've played.

In saying that, there isn't much of a trick to it. Just hit a jump that has, on the side, a higher step up jump on it. Run one half of your wheels up that and the other wheels up the other, and off you go. You have air control too. So you can stop yourself from rolling to help you land on your wheels.

Flatspins are very easy, and are actually a good way to save yourself from a crash after a jump. Flatspinning off a jump is pretty much a 100% guarantee you'll land on your wheels at the end of it.

The trick is to hit a jump and just before flying off, hit your e-brake and hold either left or right.

by "air control" he means "hit the opposite direction you're spinning to stop spinning". The damn and the quarry are the best spots to practice since they have the largest jumps. I've had the game since release and I still can't do more than 2 rolls at a time. :/

Mar_ said:
Barrel rolling remains the hardest trick in burnout. You are never guaranteed to land on your wheels. The online challenge to land a barrel roll through the hoop at the airfield gets easier over time, but is still hit and miss no matter how long you've played.

In saying that, there isn't much of a trick to it. Just hit a jump that has, on the side, a higher step up jump on it. Run one half of your wheels up that and the other wheels up the other, and off you go. You have air control too. So you can stop yourself from rolling to help you land on your wheels.

Flatspins are very easy, and are actually a good way to save yourself from a crash after a jump. Flatspinning off a jump is pretty much a 100% guarantee you'll land on your wheels at the end of it.

The trick is to hit a jump and just before flying off, hit your e-brake and hold either left or right.

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated.

* Goes home to practise tricks *

This game is really fun, I got so many trophies yesterday just powering through. And got most of the online trophies for a few hours of playing (just need to do Road Rage and Marked Man).

DuckRacer

EktorPR said:
So, has anyone posted anything about the 4 packs of new content coming to Burnout in Spring, 2009? :D :D

They'll be revealing them in the coming weeks starting next Friday, October 31. More info here (liking the redesigned Criterion website, btw!):

http://www.criteriongames.com/packs/coming_soon.php

EDIT: WAIT, did I say I FUCKING LOVE these guys? No? Well, I just did. :D :D
Year of Paradise? lulz, they meant two years of Paradise!

edit: I bet one of them adds boats and jetskis.

Chris R

So what is the best guide to follow if I'm wanting to get 100% completion for this game (PS3 version)? Gamefaqs guide seemed lacking

Always-honest said:
lol, all billboards, all smashes and all jumps will not give you any trophy..

weird trophies.. best arcade racer to date though

I personally think that the Trophies were changed at the last minute because they realized that the retro stats arn't going to work ... which was opposite of what they promised so they made them easier to not piss of people who spent hundreds of hours getting 101%... hey that's just my theory.

EktorPR said:
So, has anyone posted anything about the 4 packs of new content coming to Burnout in Spring, 2009? :D :D

They'll be revealing them in the coming weeks starting next Friday, October 31. More info here (liking the redesigned Criterion website, btw!):

That's pretty damn cool.

I notice they haven't done a podcast in quite awhile. I wonder why that is?

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
EktorPR said:

So the rumored choppas & planes will be included in the game?

Mar

EktorPR said:

Oh awesome. Can't wait.

I have to admit I've finally gotten bored of the game as it is now. But really, it was about time. As I've said I've done well over 350 hours in the game, and have completed everything that can be done (online and offline). It had to eventually get to the point where I just couldn't keep playing, and I've finally reached that point.

When new content comes out however, I'm back on board.

Nicely done, Criterion. I was wondering if the Bikes pack was a preemptive response to Midnight Club: LA. Turns out there's going to be more.

I am assuming one of them will be the island, and the other most likely will be the Planes. But what's next?

HoTHiTTeR

EktorPR said:

The way I read this, is that the new island just got pushed into next Spring - not Fall 08 :\

Agent X

EktorPR said:

That's an impressive level of dedication!

I would guess that pack 4 (with the other three being 5, 6, and 7, for those who haven't checked the site yet) is the island pack (code-name "Eastwood"). I'll be slightly disappointed if we're not getting the island until spring of 2009, but it isn't a huge concern since there are some other games coming out in the next few weeks that I also want to get.

Also, they announced that they've recently signed up their one millionth online player. It's great to learn that Criterion has reached this milestone.

ram

HoTHiTTeR said:
The way I read this, is that the new island just got pushed into next Spring - not Fall 08 :\

yep - we wont see the new island in 2008 anymore. too bad - but maybe they are starting to work on a new game too?

DeceitDecide said:
Something tells me that at least a couple of the newly announced content packs won't be free.
I wont say that I'm ready to pay whatever the content is but these guys have already did a very good job so I may give them some of my money. They deserve it.
And btw I don't know if I said that already but whatever :
*bow for the awesome motorbikes pack

Quick question

Is there a way to turn off road rules so that it never comes on? I know that it can be turned off in the easy drive menu, but it seems to turn back on after I finish an event. I'm kind of tired of turning it off after every event I do. Any ideas?

chriskun

Benjillion said:
Quick question

Is there a way to turn off road rules so that it never comes on? I know that it can be turned off in the easy drive menu, but it seems to turn back on after I finish an event. I'm kind of tired of turning it off after every event I do. Any ideas?
you only have to hit a button twice.....

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
chriskun said:
you only have to hit a button twice.....
Anybody wanna multiply that by the amount of events? :lol

Anyway I'm just loving this game. It's so awesome having it right on the HDD. I'm not really into the multiplayer though because nobody really cooperates when it comes to starting events. I've already gotten my Burnout license and now working on finishing every event. The later stunt runs are MURDER though.

Goldrusher

Anyone have an old EyeToy laying around he/she doesn't use anymore ?

Lousy additional-hardware-requiring trophy. But I want it and I deserve my Platinum.

sykoex said:
Anybody wanna multiply that by the amount of events? :lol

Anyway I'm just loving this game. It's so awesome having it right on the HDD. I'm not really into the multiplayer though because nobody really cooperates when it comes to starting events. I've already gotten my Burnout license and now working on finishing every event. The later stunt runs are MURDER though.
I've been playing CAG nights for multiplayer. Really fun.

h3ro

Shalashaska said:
Gah, I got hit by the stupid 10th timed challenge glitch. Wasted a ton of time yesteday only to end up not getting the trophy ;_;

I have every trophy except that Mugshot one... it's the only thing keeping me from goin' Platinum... :/

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yup I only need the mugshot one too but I'm getting a cam 29th :lol

h3ro said:
I have every trophy except that Mugshot one... it's the only thing keeping me from goin' Platinum... :/
Yeah I'll be at that point soon too. I figure I'll scrounge through some stores and pick up an old EyeToy or something.

Shalashaska said:
Gah, I got hit by the stupid 10th timed challenge glitch. Wasted a ton of time yesteday only to end up not getting the trophy ;_;
. is this where you do ten timed challenges but don't get the trophy?... if so.. i think i got the same thing..

Always-honest said:
. is this where you do ten timed challenges but don't get the trophy?... if so.. i think i got the same thing..
Yeah, the problem comes when you're mixing in the motorbike challenges as well I think. That's what I've gathered from reading about it anyway.

From what I've found though, we can back up our saves onto a USB device, delete the game save, start a new one, then go online and do the timed challenges (make sure you do cars only!), get the trophy and then put back your old save. Apparently the trophies will then be fixed. I'll do that sometime this week.

Top Bottom