• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

crispyben

KennyLinder said:
I just got the Trophies update on my disc copy; do I need to delete my save game and start again to start getting them?
You will have to in order to unlock some of the first trophies, but you can back up your first save and copy it back once you're done, since trophies are linked to your profile...

Tonight I crashed while my multiplier was at 35x, dammit! I need to finish those awards :D

crispyben

Talking to myself here, but last night I finally got my 100% :D It only took me 74 hours and 2 minutes... I don't think I've ever played a game this much, I even managed to convince my brother to buy a PS3 so we could play this together! Now it's on to 101% and the last trophies, but it's hard as I don't have enough PSN friends (or a PSEye). BTW, my PSN is Grandben should you want to add me.

Anyway, tomorrow is the day Criterion reveal the first of 4 DLC packs for Spring 2009. Do youn think it will be the 'Eastwood' island, or something new?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
crispyben said:
Talking to myself here, but last night I finally got my 100% :D It only took me 74 hours and 2 minutes... I don't think I've ever played a game this much, I even managed to convince my brother to buy a PS3 so we could play this together! Now it's on to 101% and the last trophies, but it's hard as I don't have enough PSN friends (or a PSEye). BTW, my PSN is Grandben should you want to add me.

Anyway, tomorrow is the day Criterion reveal the first of 4 DLC packs for Spring 2009. Do youn think it will be the 'Eastwood' island, or something new?
Any tips for the stunt runs? I'm stuck on a 300,000 pt one.

crispyben

sykoex said:
Any tips for the stunt runs? I'm stuck on a 300,000 pt one.
It depends on where you start. I found two areas that suited me for stunt runs: Southbay Expressway + Rockridge Dam + Lone Peaks Quarry, and Read Lane + railway to Uphill Drive. I use the Hawker Solo. The trick is to boost just a little before the timer expires to keep your combo going (no crashing allowed obviously), but drifting and reversing can save your life!

Apart from practicing, this video on Youtube helped me get the 40x multiplier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-i78lSkJYg

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
crispyben said:
It depends on where you start. I found two areas that suited me for stunt runs: Southbay Expressway + Rockridge Dam + Lone Peaks Quarry, and Read Lane + railway to Uphill Drive. I use the Hawker Solo. The trick is to boost just a little before the timer expires to keep your combo going (no crashing allowed obviously), but drifting and reversing can save your life!

Apart from practicing, this video on Youtube helped me get the 40x multiplier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-i78lSkJYg
Wow thanks for the detailed info. I never even cotemplated 40x. I was happy to get 10x. :lol

Woo-Fu

Banned
You need to choreograph your stunt run and then do it over and over again until you nail it. Multiplier is important, as is doing multiple stunts with each jump. Don't just do a jump, do a jump and a flat spin at the same time while going through a billboard.

I usually started up in the mountains at the good double barrel roll spot that has another 4-6 big ramps after it going down the left side of the map to the bridge. You can also start/finish at the quarry just up the hill from the bridge, easy to get a double barrel roll in there and easier to land than the split ramp over the dam just downhill from the quarry.

There is also an amazing amount of stuff in the city too you just have to be much more careful as there are far more things that can get in your way. :p I did my 2nd highest stuntrun right around the stadium making the most of the many ramps and billboards.

I thought they had patched out the reverse method, but perhaps they only did that for the marked man exploit. Never something I used myself, seemed more trouble than it was worth when simply tapping boost periodically does exactly the same while allowing you the ease of driving forward. :p

crispyben

sykoex said:
Wow thanks for the detailed info. I never even cotemplated 40x. I was happy to get 10x. :lol
Me too, then I decided I wanted to get 100%, and that was all that was standing in my way... It felt good to nail it. I agree with Woo-Fu, it's all about choreographing your run and practicing it. You have to know where to go next, what you'll do when you get there, how you'll get out of there, etc. You'll see that 10x is really easy in the end, with the right car of course (P12, Hawker, Hot Rod...).

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Burnout Party doesn't really add anything that you couldn't already do ie. just make up your own challenges and pass the controller around?

Hopefully the other packs are worth buying.

r4z4

matthsv said:
Burnout Party doesn't really add anything that you couldn't already do ie. just make up your own challenges and pass the controller around?

Hopefully the other packs are worth buying.

Yeh, I'd pay day one for new environments and vehicles types, extra game modes though? not so sure. As you said, alot of what is great about BP is the fact that you can just drive around the city and think of crazy things to do.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Um, so if they charge for that does this mean the new island will be charged for? Ah well it's worth it to me as I really love this game.

crispyben

sykoex said:
Um, so if they charge for that does this mean the new island will be charged for? Ah well it's worth it to me as I really love this game.
Could be, I think they said the Year of Burnout would be free, and the island will come after it ends. On the other hand, it would cause trouble online, which makes me think it'll be free...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
crispyben said:
Could be, I think they said the Year of Burnout would be free, and the island will come after it ends. On the other hand, it would cause trouble online, which makes me think it'll be free...

Don't quote me (DON'T!!) but I'm sure they've said that the island will be PDLC, but they're going to come up with a way to at least let all players see the content is there, if not access it. I assume that becuase the bridge to the islnad is being completed more with each patch that the road will be complete it just won't be open for players that haven't paid for it.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Jedeye Sniv said:
Don't quote me (DON'T!!) but I'm sure they've said that the island will be PDLC, but they're going to come up with a way to at least let all players see the content is there, if not access it. I assume that becuase the bridge to the islnad is being completed more with each patch that the road will be complete it just won't be open for players that haven't paid for it.
You drive up to the bridge toll and a credit card info prompt pops up. :lol

rjcc

LOL - want a restart option after a race? buy the game again bastards.

EA Announces Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box

Experience the Ultimate Social Driving Game in One Box
London Games Festival

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Criterion Games, an Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS) studio announced today Burnout™ Paradise The Ultimate Box – a special edition release that includes the award-winning Burnout™ Paradise game plus the previously-released Burnout™ Paradise Cagney and Burnout™ Paradise Bikes content updates, and the brand new Burnout™ Paradise Party content. Burnout Paradise Party is an offline multiplayer mode designed to allow up to eight friends to “pass-the-pad” in dozens of Burnout challenges. For players that already own Burnout Paradise, Burnout Paradise Party will be sold separately as downloadable content.

Burnout Paradise Party brings the social fun of Burnout Paradise into an offline environment where friends can pass the pad to play competitively. There are dozens of quick-fire, turn-based challenges where players compete in different stunt, speed and skill events. In addition to Burnout Paradise Party, Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box will include a host of new features including a restart option added for racing, easier control of the early vehicles, and for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system the new Burnout™ Paradise Network. Burnout Paradise Network is another Burnout Paradise social innovation that enables players to keep track of friends and keep up with all the latest Burnout news from either inside or outside the game.

“Whether you’re an experienced player or a gaming novice, Burnout Paradise is a game that anyone can enjoy,” says Pete Lake, Senior Producer at Criterion Games. “With The Ultimate Box, we aimed to deliver the most fun, high quality and high value experience possible to players both online and in the living room.”

Burnout Paradise Party will be on display and available for free play at EA’s booth during the London Games Festival in Trafalgar Square from Oct 31 – Nov 1, 2008.

Developed at Criterion Games in Guildford, England, Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box is rated E10+ by the ESRB and 7+ for PEGI. Burnout Paradise The Ultimate Box will be available in February 2009 on the PLAYSTATION 3 and Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system and marks the debut of the game on PC. For more information about the game, please go to http://www.criteriongames.com or http://info.ea.com.

rjcc said:
LOL - want a restart option after a race? buy the game again bastards.
Woah.

I do have a feeling that's getting pushed into a free add-on. Re balancing how the cars handle means that all games who connect online has to be the same, which means that some of that stuff has to carry over to all existing players.

rjcc

AlphaTwo00 said:
Woah.

I do have a feeling that's getting pushed into a free add-on. Re balancing how the cars handle means that all games who connect online has to be the same, which means that some of that stuff has to carry over to all existing players.

I dunno, it's hard to tell from the way it reads.

from the PS blog:

You’ll be able to purchase this awesome premium Burnout Paradise content from February 2009, but if you haven’t got Burnout Paradise already, there’s never been a better time to buy.
We announced today that we’re bringing all the 2008 innovations as well as Party to something we’re calling Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box. It’s a new packaged game that’ll be available in Feb 2009!

Volcynika

Ok, everyone that said they wouldn't buy the game until they added a retry option better pony up and buy the game when that feature is added!

rjcc said:
I dunno, it's hard to tell from the way it reads.

from the PS blog:
Sure. The way it's written seems to imply the new box only. However, I can safely assume that the games will talk to each other, and if you are starting with the new game, and joining the servers, won't how the car's handling need to be identical on different version for the online to work?

Which means, at least, for the car handling to be matched up, parts of what's in the new Ultimate box, has to been patched in.

rager

Banned
Psychotext said:
Yeah, once you learn that reversing everywhere keeps you going forever then stunt runs become easy. :D

Come again? So, all I need to do is keep driving backwards and the combo will continue?

rager said:
Come again? So, all I need to do is keep driving backwards and the combo will continue?
Reverse driving is a stunt. A short, non-increasing stunt. If you powerslide into a reverse, then powerslide back out into a trick point, you can chain forever.

Think of it as Tony Hawk's Manual.

AndyD

aka andydumi
AlphaTwo00 said:
Sure. The way it's written seems to imply the new box only. However, I can safely assume that the games will talk to each other, and if you are starting with the new game, and joining the servers, won't how the car's handling need to be identical on different version for the online to work?

Which means, at least, for the car handling to be matched up, parts of what's in the new Ultimate box, has to been patched in.

This. Stuff that is universal like mechanics and physics changes wil be universally patched, but race restart, offline challenges and this new Network thing will be paid for.

crispyben

Today's new downloadable pack hasn't been revealed yet, but the site now features a banner promising "more vehicles, more gameplay, more fun"... Can't wait!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
crispyben said:
I think it was more a "proof of concept" than anything, I don't think it fits in the spirit of Burnout... We'll see.

The Party in the banner refers to the already announced Party Pack.
The whole banner is just a reminder of why Brunout is so awesome and will keep being awesome in 2009.

crispyben

TTP said:
The Party in the banner refers to the already announced Party Pack.
The whole banner is just a reminder of why Brunout is so awesome and will keep being awesome in 2009.
I know what the "Party" refers to, but new vehicles weren't announced as part of the Party Pack... We know the Dust Storm is coming at some point, presumably with the island.

EDIT: OK, maybe it refers to all downloadable packs, old and new, including "new" vehicles such as the Rai-Jin Turbo or the bikes shown on the banner...

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
crispyben said:
I think it was more a "proof of concept" than anything, I don't think it fits in the spirit of Burnout... We'll see.

I didn't think the bikes did either really.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
crispyben said:
EDIT: OK, maybe it refers to all downloadable packs, old and new (and incoming), including "new" vehicles such as the Rai-Join turno or the bikes shown on the banner...

That's what I'm saying. :)

crispyben

levious said:
I didn't think the bikes did either really.
Maybe more than planes? The sense of speed is the same, and you're still on the asphalt... Planes have totally different physics, and the area would be a bit small for them.

crispyben said:
Maybe more than planes? The sense of speed is the same, and you're still on the asphalt... Planes have totally different physics, and the area would be a bit small for them.
Stunt planes. :D

3010104971_206be766b2.jpg

Today's announcement.

...wait, what?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
AlphaTwo00 said:
3010104971_206be766b2.jpg

Today's announcement.

...wait, what?

ZOMG! o_O

In 2009, we’re taking Burnout vehicles to the next level with some truly unbelievable new vehicles. First up – The Jansen 88 Special.

This classic 1980’s styled silver sports car is based on the fan-favourite Jansen P12, but we’ve made a few interesting modifications.

Fill the gauge and hit boost to trigger burning flame trails from your back wheels. The 88 Special’s fast, manoeuvrable and great in the air.

In fact, if you want to take off, this is just the car for you. Hit L3 to switch to hover mode – the wheels retract and the car takes off and hovers through Paradise City at head height.

Seriously. It hovers.

This is the first of 4 cars that we’re making available as part of a wealth of new downloadable content for Burnout Paradise. They’re available to buy individually or discounted, if you pick up the whole set. In addition to the Jansen 88 Special, look out for the Cavalry Bootlegger, Manhattan Spirit and the GT Nighthawk.

Top Bottom