• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Dante said:
Quick question.

When you get a new license does it give you the trophy for all the other licenses ( like the ones you've already earned ) on the Ps3 version, or do you have to start a fresh game?

Also, when is that quick restart "patch" coming?

No. You have to start a new game to have the first licenses trophies. Same with the total distance trophy if you already drove more kilometers than the trophy requires and so on...

Dear Criterion, you are so awesome. So very, very awesome. Please convince Microsoft to allow you to release Burnout Paradise on the Xbox Live marketplace and you would surely be the most awesome thing in the universe.

Love, DMT.

Anyone else having problems getting the "Complete any Bike Day Road Rule" trophy?

I got the "Complete any Bike Night Road Rule" fine but I can't get the Day one. I've beaten several road rules, both online and offline and got nothing.

I hope this isn't a stupid glitch that'll keep me from getting the platinum trophy :S

Baha

Metalmurphy said:
Anyone else having problems getting the "Complete any Bike Day Road Rule" trophy?

I got the "Complete any Bike Night Road Rule" fine but I can't get the Day one. I've beaten several road rules, both online and offline and got nothing.

I hope this isn't a stupid glitch that'll keep me from getting the platinum trophy :S

I heard that one way of getting past a glitch like that was to back up your save that you earned trophies on, make a new one and beat the day bike rule. Then copy your original save back over after you get the trophy.

Baha said:
I heard that one way of getting past a glitch like that was to back up your save that you earned trophies on, make a new one and beat the day bike rule. Then copy your original save back over after you get the trophy.
Hum, I should have thought of that :p

Thanks.

Alright... question....

Are they re-releasing this with all the DLC on a new PS3 disc or just DLC? I'm under the assumption that the PC version gets all of this stuff, but was curious.

VictimOfGrief said:
Alright... question....

Are they re-releasing this with all the DLC on a new PS3 disc or just DLC? I'm under the assumption that the PC version gets all of this stuff, but was curious.
Both.

3024356797_6cb03afa97.jpg
- Boxed version.

Johnas

So I'm coming to this party sort of on the late side, but man does this game rock. I loved 3 and Revenge (started the series with 3 shortly after it released) so I don't know why it took me a while to even buy this game, but it is so completely worth the $30 I spent.

The open world concept is fantastic, today I finally found the last billboard, after hitting all the smashes and doing all the super jumps. It's very fun to explore, and it's big enough that the whole world still feels fresh since there are so many different paths to take.

One question I had about the future DLC: What do we know about the island so far? Checking Criterion's site it mentions it'll be about the size of the Downtown area, which is nice, but apart from that has Criterion mentioned any other specifics in interviews or anything like that? I'm interested to see what they do there.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Anyone got the cover in higher res? It looks amazing.

Also,
Next week. Big Surf.
I swear, I'm buying this game again if that's a boat.

Mistouze

crispyben said:
They also say they've tweaked the physics... Sounds strange.

Maybe we'll finally see the water "splash" when you fall into water with your car?

Working on getting the Platinum trophy (not that challenging, really), I'm having a problem with the "get 10 Timed Freeburn Challenges". I did more than 10 with cars and no trophy! Anyone experienced this or am I misunderstanding what I have to do?

As for the new car with the new boost system, day one as for anything remotly interresting added to this game.

Pallaris

Quick question for anyone with the PSN version:

Has anyone experienced any momentary freezing with this version? My original pre-patch BR copy (which I no longer have) used to hang momentarily at random times. Seemed like the streaming engine was playing catch up or something.

Just wondered if this was fixed? I'd consider buying it again off PSN if this has been sorted cause the freezing used to piss me off a fair bit (especially during races).

Johnas said:
One question I had about the future DLC: What do we know about the island so far? Checking Criterion's site it mentions it'll be about the size of the Downtown area, which is nice, but apart from that has Criterion mentioned any other specifics in interviews or anything like that? I'm interested to see what they do there.

It's going to feature an airport and the highest jumps in the game. We will know more next week. In the meantime, check this video.

Pallaris said:
Quick question for anyone with the PSN version:

Has anyone experienced any momentary freezing with this version? My original pre-patch BR copy (which I no longer have) used to hang momentarily at random times. Seemed like the streaming engine was playing catch up or something.

Just wondered if this was fixed? I'd consider buying it again off PSN if this has been sorted cause the freezing used to piss me off a fair bit (especially during races).

I only remember the game freezing for about 1 second one single time, with my Blu-ray copy and long before they even released the second update. Ever since then I never experienced any streaming issues, but it's not like one isolated freeze was a recurring issue anyway. I also bought the PSN version because it's so convenient and I never experienced freezing. Actually, the startup, the menus and the car selection are faster.

crispyben

bune duggy said:
I mentioned it before but no one commented (or it got lost on the bottom of the page) - that box has one of the online-only vehicles on it. I wonder if it'll be playable?
Why not? After all, it was first supposed to be reserved to a happy few I think... Since they're introducing a new boost system with the Boost Specials, why not add the boostless cars in the offline game?

Johnas said:

You can check that video for a good look at it, though the vid's from a few months back... This video shows a new car, the Dust Storm, on the island. The Islandpedia thread at the official forums is worth registering for too.

According to this video, the Island seems to have an extra 100 smashes and an extra 45 billboards :)

Mistouze said:
Maybe we'll finally see the water "splash" when you fall into water with your car?

Working on getting the Platinum trophy (not that challenging, really), I'm having a problem with the "get 10 Timed Freeburn Challenges". I did more than 10 with cars and no trophy! Anyone experienced this or am I misunderstanding what I have to do?

Not sure, the announcement says "It also has a new vehicle dynamics system, which means that it handles more intuitively and drifts more realistically than any other car", so it's more than water!

Regardind the trophy bug, you must have done your tenth overall with a bike, so you need to back up your save, start a new one, get the trophy in a car, then copy back your old save, et voilà.

Philantropist said:
It's going to feature an airport and the highest jumps in the game.
I think the airport was for another island and was cut off during the development of the main game... You can see it here, in an older and larger iteration of Paradise City.

Pallaris

Philanthropist said:
It's going to feature an airport and the highest jumps in the game. We will know more next week. In the meantime, check this video.

I only remember the game freezing for about 1 second one single time, with my Blu-ray copy and long before they even released the second update. Ever since then I never experienced any streaming issues, but it's not like one isolated freeze was a recurring issue anyway. I also bought the PSN version because it's so convenient and I never experienced freezing. Actually, the startup, the menus and the car selection are faster.

Thanks for the feedback. They did say they optimized the streaming in some of the patch notes I saw at one point but only specifically referenced the 360 version, hence the uncertainty. Nice to know it's faster off the HDD as well.

Will definitely be getting the PSN version once I'm done with Motorstorm:pR.

Johnas

Philanthropist said:

crispyben said:
You can check that video for a good look at it, though the vid's from a few months back... This video shows a new car, the Dust Storm, on the island. The Islandpedia thread at the official forums is worth registering for too.

According to this video, the Island seems to have an extra 100 smashes and an extra 45 billboards :)

Awesomesauce. Thanks guys. I actually like the lack of walls and whatnot there.

Side question, in that 40+ multiplier vid it looks foggy/hazy, was it just getting close to nighttime? Also, I wondered why his billboards were different.

Johnas

jett said:
This game has FUBAR'd my R2 button. :/

I've been playing a ton of this and The Orange Box, and there's now a definite difference between how they feel.

Is that what you meant, or is yours broken somehow?

crispyben

Johnas said:
Side question, in that 40+ multiplier vid it looks foggy/hazy, was it just getting close to nighttime? Also, I wondered why his billboards were different.
It's the dynamic weather, it will come on at random times. His billboard were different because of the Party Pack DLC they announced... It changes the look of the billboard and makes the yellow lights before the super jumps blue.

Johnas

crispyben said:
It's the dynamic weather, it will come on at random times. His billboard were different because of the Party Pack DLC they announced... It changes the look of the billboard and makes the yellow lights before the super jumps blue.

Ah, I forgot to mention the blue lights too. Thanks.

His stunt run was awesome. I know he helped make the game and all, but still. ;)

junker

Question guys, I own the disc based game, if I were to purchase this on PSN, would it read the old save file or create a new one?

I would like to start over with trophies and the new DLC but I don't really want to transfer the save to a USB stick, etc.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Well I finally bought this game a couple of days ago.

Oh baby where have you been all my life.

junker said:
Question guys, I own the disc based game, if I were to purchase this on PSN, would it read the old save file or create a new one?

I would like to start over with trophies and the new DLC but I don't really want to transfer the save to a USB stick, etc.
it makes a new save, your old save will not be deleted or used for the psn version

What he said. Good thing: it allows you to have a fresh save to earn trophies with that you don't have to worry about the whole "put on USB stick, get trophies, put save back" thing.

pdk27

Did the PSN version get rid of the save game analyser feature? I got copied my save to the a USB stick and I don't see the EXPORT file.

STG

pdk27 said:
Did the PSN version get rid of the save game analyser feature? I got copied my save to the a USB stick and I don't see the EXPORT file.

try saving via the Start menu entry, not autosave

Mistouze

crispyben said:
Regardind the trophy bug, you must have done your tenth overall with a bike, so you need to back up your save, start a new one, get the trophy in a car, then copy back your old save, et voilà.

Well doesn't that suck? I hope they fix that for future players... I'm pretty sure I'll have to get a few licenses to have an able car for the freeburn challenges.

crispyben

pdk27 said:
I think so.

Mistouze said:
Well doesn't that suck? I hope they fix that for future players... I'm pretty sure I'll have to get a few licenses to have an able car for the freeburn challenges.
It sure sucks, but I don't know about a fix. This is the official recommendation. The 2-player challenges are doable with a Cavalry I think... Let me know if you need help.

_RT_

So what's the deal on the new car?
Is it just cruising around waiting to get smashed so we can add it?

Is it automatically in our garage?

I haven't played this game in a couple months.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
_RT_ said:
So what's the deal on the new car?
Is it just cruising around waiting to get smashed so we can add it?

Is it automatically in our garage?

I haven't played this game in a couple months.

Since it's DLC you have to PAY for, I assume you find it in your garage.

All 2009 Paradise add-on content appears to be NOT free.

Haeleos

SolidSnakex said:
Unless they've changed their minds then the islands should still be free.

Yea unless they are making it so non DLC users can play with DLC users... I doubt they would splinter their online userbase.

Johnas

So how many people here ended up sticking with the game long enough to get their Elite license, or Criterion Elite license?

I'm at 66% with 41 hours on the clock and as awesome as the game is, it's starting to feel a little repetitive. Part of that feeling is my fault, as I've put almost all of those hours on this game in a week's time. I should probably play something else for a while, but at the same time it's pretty addictive. One more race, one more road rage. I haven't been so oblivious to time while playing a game in ages.

Mar

jett said:
This game has FUBAR'd my R2 button. :/

Heh, glad I'm not the only one. Except in my case it's the right trigger on the 360 controller. It still works, but not if pressed really fast (left 4 dead handguns I'm looking at you). And it has developed a nasty squeaking noise each press. When I'm playing something that demands fast trigger presses it sounds like I'm going hell for leather on a broken bed with rusty springs.

It was all worth it though. Burnout Paradise is the one game I'd happily sacrifice a controller for.

Johnas said:
So how many people here ended up sticking with the game long enough to get their Elite license, or Criterion Elite license?

I'm at 66% with 41 hours on the clock and as awesome as the game is, it's starting to feel a little repetitive. Part of that feeling is my fault, as I've put almost all of those hours on this game in a week's time. I should probably play something else for a while, but at the same time it's pretty addictive. One more race, one more road rage. I haven't been so oblivious to time while playing a game in ages.

You'd be surprised. You're pretty much hitting the point where most people start to slow down on the game. But soon after it ramps up again in interest. Especially once you start exploring the online modes.

I've done well over 400 hours myself.

crispyben

Mar_ said:
You'd be surprised. You're pretty much hitting the point where most people start to slow down on the game. But soon after it ramps up again in interest. Especially once you start exploring the online modes.

I've done well over 400 hours myself.
So true. Getting my Elite license was long-ish, but doing all the Freeburn challenges is really addictive...

Yea, so I'm addicted to this game again. I just fly around the city in my motorcycle and just try to beat anyone that has a better road rules time than me. I've gotten hopelessly addicted to every single Burnout game. Criterion is awesome.

Just got my Platinum on Monday and have to say i do love this game. When i first got it i wasnt too sure of it, and i have to say i was one of the people who thought it was rubbsh there wasnt a retry option but once you get to know the city itys no big deal and just a lot of fun to drive around as fast as you can before crashing :D

I remember just before the Trophy patch came out i put in quite a few hours getting some stuff that i hadnt before because they were menat to be retro active and once it came and they werent i swore i wasnt going to go back.

In the end i decided to and im glad i did as i really grew to love the game and think Criterion have done a fantastic job with the free updates so far and because of this idea i hope other games take it too, using in game adds to help add stuff to the game for free. As long as the ads dont stick out like a sore thumb than i have no problem with them if we benefit in the long run.

Baron

So what's up with the island add-on? Is it coming out next month, or at an undisclosed time sometime next year? T'would be a great holiday gift to the fans. Are you listening, Criterion?

crispyben

Baron said:
So what's up with the island add-on? Is it coming out next month, or at an undisclosed time sometime next year? T'would be a great holiday gift to the fans. Are you listening, Criterion?
We've been led to think it will be the object of Friday's announcement, but it's been a while since they've discussed it. Ideally, they would announce it for release right away or before Christmas as a surprise, but realistically it'll be out in the Spring, with the other DLC packs, maybe in February with the PC version.

Edit: Here is the full post:

We haven’t released anything new on this awesome, premium downloadable content since way back in May, so it’s high time we gave you a little update.

For all the latest info, we’d recommend you check out the very latest Crash TV. It’s your chance to hear all the latest news on the island direct from its creators.

3065389815_cc30b0822b.jpg

This first shot shows your arrival point on the island. From here, you can make out the awesome cylindrical tower referred to in this Crash TV Episode 15. With the right car, it’s possible to drift all the way to the top of this tower and back again. But you’re unlikely to drive down, because this location is all about massive jumps. For a while, we considered naming it Big Air Island!

The building to the right is the hotel we named after one of our die-hard fans. DBC9MX earned the right name the hotel after winning the Downtown Showtime Showdown competition and chose to name it after his son – Taylor J. You check out the footage in Crash TV for a better look at Taylor J Towers.

3066230402_92fb3790b6.jpg

This second shot is the first time we’ve shown you the view looking back down from the island towards the bridge and mainland Paradise City. Our mantra is ‘if you can see it, you can drive it’ – which means that even the bridge to the city features multiple levels and massive jumps.

The construction yard in the foreground is loaded with gameplay and the scaffold at the top features in one of the island’s most memorable pieces of gameplay. Everywhere on the island is like this.

3066230874_f81fd47f0c.jpg

This third image is the first look at the other side of the island, featuring the palm trees that give it a distinctly tropical flavour. The unusual shape of the lighthouse, and the massive ramp in front of it are more tell-tale signs that the geometry is more than just scenery.

3066231434_fab8e4eb6c.jpg

And finally, here’s our favourite shot.

This shows the kind of action the island is built for. The scaffold towers in the construction yard can be climbed and all the hoops can be jumped. If you want a taste of what the island is all about, head for the airfield, quarry or beach in Burnout Paradise right now and imagine an area the size of Downtown dedicated to that kind of gameplay. The car featured here is the Dust Storm. It will be made available at the same time as the island.

We’d mentioned in a previous podcast that this would be free content, but we can now confirm that it will be premium paid-for content.

Here’s why. We never expected to create anything this ambitious for the island, but as it progressed we got more and more excited about what it could become. (In fact, that’s the story of all our Downloadable Content.)

Big Surf is the culmination of everything we learned creating Paradise City, and we want it to bring you a truly spectacular new experience – the highlight of a year of incredible premium content. Burnout already delivers incredible value for money – literally hundreds of hours of gameplay with your original disk or PSN purchase, plus more with the free Cagney Pack and free Burnout Paradise Bikes.

We want Burnout Paradise players to experience the greatest support ever seen in a console game. We’re transforming not just Burnout Paradise, but the whole Burnout franchise through DLC, and we appreciate the support we know you guys will give us for our paid content. We think it’s worth it.

Next week, we’ll bring you the first of our “Paradise City Boroughs” guides - Downtown Paradise. We’ll cover the whole of Paradise City borough-by-borough in some detail, culminating in a big reveal of the island in the new year.

Source: http://www.criteriongames.com/article.php?artID=374

I will be buying it day one! :mrgreen:

crispyben

Big Surf Island will not be free, as it far exceeds the inital concept... It is now akin to a massive amusement park, a very large quarry/airfield, with 5-second jumps! I wonder how they'll handle that online? Anyway, here a few shots, the CrashTV episode has a video of the bridge.

3065389815_cc30b0822b.jpg

3066230402_92fb3790b6.jpg

3066230874_f81fd47f0c.jpg

3066231434_fab8e4eb6c.jpg

Top Bottom