• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Good. I want to pay for this. I want Criterion to charge me for something. I want to give them my money again.

BobJustBob said:
but it sucks that they reneged on their promise of free content.

They never said everything would be free. They specifically said there would be paid-content.

jett

D-Member
"We’d mentioned in a previous podcast that this would be free content, but we can now confirm that it will be premium paid-for content."

Sucks...I bought Burnout PSN thinking I was gonna get a free island...when I did I actually thought it had already been released. :p

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
jett said:
"We?d mentioned in a previous podcast that this would be free content, but we can now confirm that it will be premium paid-for content."

Sucks...I bought Burnout PSN thinking I was gonna get a free island...when I did I actually thought it had already been released. :p
When I first downloaded it on PSN I thought the western mountain area was the new island. :lol

Shearie

So are they gonna segregate servers into people who bought the island and people who didn't? (No need to answer unless they said how it's gonna work on CrashTV) Regardless, I'm getting this when it comes out; I just hope it doesn't separate the community too much and i also hope that they add more things to do with the motorcycles (at least races) so people actually use them.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I'm kinda happy about this. Only dedicated players in the Island mean no driving around for hours waiting for a stupid host to start something.

Well, I'm a little bummed it's not free. I mean, I'm still buying it and all the other DLC mentioned but they did say it would be free. Oh well, at least I know the people on my friends list will also be buying it so it's not a huge deal breaker.

AndyD

aka andydumi
This is the second big thing they are going back on their word on. First trophy retroactive-nes, now island free-nes.

Looks awesome, but they need to either straighten their stories, or be quiet about stuff before they are sure.

crispyben

Their story is that what they first had in mind scale-wise could be free, but they got carried away, scrapped what they had done and then spent a lot more time than scheduled on it, making it impossible to sustain without a price tag attached to it. It makes sense, even though it raises questions...

crispyben

There are several: why did they scrap what they had done? how did it get out of hand? what's the price gonna be? how will they handle it online? will it be possible to buy the Dust Storm separately?

BobJustBob said:
I have no problem paying for this, but it sucks that they reneged on their promise of free content.

They never promised free DLC. Also The two previous packs they released were suppose to be paid for but they released them for free.

CowGirl

:lol at the people that thought this was going to be free.

EA are not a charity. Criterion deserves payment for their hard work.

Ramenman

BobJustBob said:
I have no problem paying for this, but it sucks that they reneged on their promise of free content.

As far as I remember the only promise they reneged on was the one of making us pay for the Bikes DLC.

It is now akin to a massive amusement park, a very large quarry/airfield, with 5-second jumps!

omg :O

Agent X

AmericanNinja said:
They never promised free DLC. Also The two previous packs they released were suppose to be paid for but they released them for free.

Only the last one (Bikes, originally code named Davis) was originally planned to be paid content. The one before that (Cagney) was always supposed to be free as far as I know.

I like the way the Island is coming along. I have no qualms over paying for something like this, knowing how awesome their free content has been so far.

AlphaTwo00 said:
3010104971_206be766b2.jpg

Today's announcement.

...wait, what?

Has this DLC come out yet? Is it PS3 exclusive?

Tieno

CowGirl said:
:lol at the people that thought this was going to be free.

EA are not a charity. Criterion deserves payment for their hard work.
No reason to lol, people thought it'd be free because they initially said it'd be free...like they acknowledge in their post about it not being free anymore.

It's probably a lot better than what the free content would have been a while ago and intended to be released in September or so. They deserve the money for their DLC. I know I will pay for it.

SolideLiquid, it'll come out in February.

FabCam

I was lucky enough to do work experience at Criterion and whilst I'm not allowed to say anything I think I can say that the island is amazing! Can't wait for this to be released. :D

Aladuf

Banned
PhlivoSong said:
That round building reminds me of Marina City in Chicago next to the House of Blues.

Picture%20041.jpg
Oh cool, I went to Chicago for the first time over the summer and I saw those buildings at night and thought they looked pretty cool. I like seeing them again now but in the daylight.

Tntnnbltn

FabCam said:
I was lucky enough to do work experience at Criterion and whilst I'm not allowed to say anything I think I can say that the island is amazing! Can't wait for this to be released. :D
Wow, that sounds awesome. Without discussing anything NDA, what did you do there?

Mar

Finally, some DLC announcements that get me excited. As much as I appreciate the party pack and the new cars, none of them interested me to any large degree. The island however is going to be mother fucking awesome.

I welcome paying for it. I want to give these guys more of my money for making my favourite game of all time. However my big concern is what this means for online play. Are they going to split the game in two? You connect to either the new island or the old one, and you can't drive in between them? If not, and you can drive freely, how does that work for people who haven't bought it? Do they connect to the old servers? Meaning you'll never see those guys again? That's lame.

Hopefully they do this right. It's really really bad to split a community. You end up fracturing the experience and the whole game suffers as a result.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
question about the 360 version

I have the opportunity to pick up the "basic" version of this game for very cheap. Should I spring for the so-called "ultimate edition" or is it just the basic version + free DLC?

Blu_LED said:
Wait I thought a while back they announced the island as free? What happened?

Alex Ward said they redesigned it. Now it's the kind of content that wouldn't be made available for free.

However, there's a good chance EA wanted them to charge for the extra content now.

Aladuf

Banned
jon bones said:

I have the opportunity to pick up the "basic" version of this game for very cheap. Should I spring for the so-called "ultimate edition" or is it just the basic version + free DLC?
BUYBUYBUYBUYBUYBUY

Any Burnout is good Burnout.

I think this "ultimate" version you speak of is just basic + free dlc

Mar

jon bones said:

I believe the ultimate pack will be all the free DLC plus a few of the paid ones. Like the party pack etc. However, there's no reason to wait for that to come out. You can just buy the game now and install all the DLC.

Canti

Started a new save a few weeks back and got my first Platinum trophy earlier today :D

Think I'll be giving the game a rest til the new content hits now, but I'll be back! Can't wait for that island.

Johnas

So I have 98% and have completed every event, found every discoverable, won every car, ruled every road (time and showtime).

I'm missing 8 of the 60 Paradise Awards, is that the reason I'm not at 100%? I'm a little confused because in-game, the criteria for the Criterion Elite doesn't mention them as being required to get the license, but I've done everything else I can see.

crispyben

Johnas said:
So I have 98% and have completed every event, found every discoverable, won every car, ruled every road (time and showtime).

I'm missing 8 of the 60 Paradise Awards, is that the reason I'm not at 100%? I'm a little confused because in-game, the criteria for the Criterion Elite doesn't mention them as being required to get the license, but I've done everything else I can see.
In order to get 100% in cars, you need to discover everything (parkings included), smash all the gates and billboards, land all super jumps, have the Criterion Elite license, rule all of the roads (time and showtime) and have all of the 60 Paradise Awards. So yes, I think that's where your missing 2% are.

In order to get 101%, you need to complete two full sets of online Freeburn challenges (2- and 3-player for instance), excluding timed ones. This will also net you the Carbon Krieger Überschall 8. To get 102%, you need to complete all 420 online car Freeburn challenges.

You can only go up to 101% with bikes, by completing the 70 online Freeburn challenges along with the complete offline game.

Mar

crispyben said:
In order to get 101%, you need to complete two full sets of online Freeburn challenges (2- and 3-player for instance), excluding timed ones. This will also net you the Carbon Krieger Überschall 8. To get 102%, you need to complete all 420 online car Freeburn challenges.

You can only go up to 101% with bikes, by completing the 70 online Freeburn challenges along with the complete offline game.

Speaking of. Has anyone else in this thread completed all 490 challenges? It's damn tough.

490.jpg

I'm interested to know how other people found it. I actually didn't come across many annoying people at all. Considering it was a few hundred hours of playing on Xbox Live, the experience was a pleasant one. Only probably 3 assholes out of hundreds.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Island is no longer free? So much for Criterion being awesome..... Back to failing i see.

I didnt mind the vehicle packs being payed content but you dont go out and label something as free for months then just go "Hey its no longer free" F you criterion.

crispyben

Mar_ said:
Speaking of. Has anyone else in this thread completed all 490 challenges? It's damn tough.

I'm interested to know how other people found it. I actually didn't come across many annoying people at all. Considering it was a few hundred hours of playing on Xbox Live, the experience was a pleasant one. Only probably 3 assholes out of hundreds.
I'm at 341, and I've met my share of assholes, but last night I had a really good room going, and I did around 40 in one session... That's a very nice feeling! I know I'll try to reach 490, it seems so close yet so far :D I haven't tackled the bike ones yet.

Metalic Sand said:
Island is no longer free? So much for Criterion being awesome..... Back to failing i see.

I didnt mind the vehicle packs being payed content but you dont go out and label something as free for months then just go "Hey its no longer free" F you criterion.
Just read their explanation, they've been honest and open as to how and why they've changed their minds. That doesn't mean you have to agree with it, of course, but telling them to fuck off isn't very nice after all the free content they've already provided...

Mar_ said:
I find myself giving up on the challenges pretty quickly. There's always someone that either clearly doesn't have the skill to do the harder ones or is just more interested in messing around trying to stop others pulling the challenges off.

Mar

crispyben said:
I'm at 341, and I've met my share of assholes, but last night I had a really good room going, and I did around 40 in one session... That's a very nice feeling! I know I'll try to reach 490, it seems so close yet so far :D I haven't tackled the bike ones yet.

Good luck. It actually gets harder and harder the less you have to do. Unless you're really good at convincing people to play the challenges you want, or can manage to start a server and fill it yourself. The going gets really tough.

Just read their explanation, they've been honest and open as to how and why they've changed their minds. That doesn't mean you have to agree with it, of course, but telling them to fuck off isn't very nice after all the free content they've already provided...

Exactly.

Criterion have said all along that they are being very open and honest with the community. And what that means is that sometimes they'll say something then have to change their plans later on. They aren't only revealing plans / ideas / etc when they are set in stone and signed off by a thousand lawyers. They tell you shit as they go along and those can and will change. There's no need to get all in a tizzy about it.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
crispyben said:

I dont like being told about all this "Free" content then to purchase the product only to have them say "Well hey we changed our minds, gotcha bitch!" And yes they can go fuck off. Im done with the game now.

I spent my money towards it to support there whole "Free content" thing they had going. I even convinced 2 friends to buy it because of the promised content and the whole "There adding a whole new island!" This was nothing more than a bait and switch on criterions part to sell copys.

Top Bottom