• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Valkyr Junkie said:
The NEX-3 is going to be upgraded in less than 12 months of being on the market. What could they possibly add that would make it better than the current NEX-3?
thats kind of my point... sensor technology hasn't exactly broken new ground in less than 12 months.

captive said:
thats kind of my point... sensor technology hasn't exactly broken new ground in less than 12 months.

Right, but there's a lot more to a camera than just the sensor.

But to answer your question, after the release of both the NEX and SLT cameras, Sony has said they're gauging customer and enthusiast reaction to these products as an idea of where to go with the next in the series (minor firmware changes aside). This is one of the reasons I seldom early adopt on the first major revision of a tech product, especially if it's past the midpoint of its life cycle.

brerwolfe

BlueTsunami said:
Not sure if you want to go this wide but the Samyang 14/2.8, maybe? Its supposed to have just as good a resolution as Nikon's 14-24/2.8 at 14mm. Its manual focus though and has a huge amount of mustache distortion.

i kinda dig it, but it might be a little over dramatic for video purposes. assuming i was using it in lower light, the warp/refraction might be a little much. i think i could have a lot of fun with it in still photography though. i think i'm going to put it on my wishlist, thanks for the suggestion.

Valkyr Junkie said:

But to answer your question, after the release of both the NEX and SLT cameras, Sony has said they're gauging customer and enthusiast reaction to these products as an idea of where to go with the next in the series (minor firmware changes aside). This is one of the reasons I seldom early adopt on the first major revision of a tech product, especially if it's past the midpoint of its life cycle.

I'd like to see NEX cameras with more controls, like the GF1. The sensor size of the NEX cameras gives them an advantage in image quality, and a lessened crop factor when adapting various 35mm lenses to it over m4/3. But the m4/3 format has the advantage of greater choice of camera interface style, from minimal and compact-like to SLR-like. I think Sony should work on catching up to m4/3 in that department, offer customers more choice instead of two cameras that are practically identical.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I got the Canon 60D as my second camera body!!!

I put the 50L on the 60D and the 24-70L on the XSi. If you are asking why, it is because the 60D has 9 cross points as opposed to the XSi's center cross point.

It is a great camera that will give me many years of happy shooting.

cbox

Considering the new 70-200L IS II from Canon... It'd be first L series lens and my second telephoto. Used a 70-300 kit lens on my xti back in the day.

I'd like to try the off brands but I really need the fast zoom, I do mainly weddings...

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
ConvenientBox said:
Considering the new 70-200L IS II from Canon... It'd be first L series lens and my second telephoto. Used a 70-300 kit lens on my xti back in the day.

Expensive lens but if anything its nearly as sharp as the 135L at equal apertures.

brerwolfe

ConvenientBox said:

I'd like to try the off brands but I really need the fast zoom, I do mainly weddings...

why not consider the 70-200L IS I? it's a fantastic lens and $500 less expensive..

cbox

brerwolfe said:
why not consider the 70-200L IS I? it's a fantastic lens and $500 less expensive..

A bit concerned with the f/4 in low light, though I suppose the IS would help there a tad.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for camcorders, but I'd rather post in an existing thread than waste a new one.

So my Panasonic HDC SD60 has been treating me well since August, but today a force hit the LCD monitor (a BB to be precise) and now the screen doesn't work. The screen turns on, but is just black with a white crack-shape coming from the corner. It hit the plastic protecting the screen itself hard enough to damage the screen.

So what I need to know is whether I can buy a replacement LCD monitor anywhere, and if not is there any way I can repair my camera? And what sort of cost would U be looking at? Thanks in advance.

rass

^^that sucks man, hope you can get it fixed.

ConvenientBox said:
A bit concerned with the f/4 in low light, though I suppose the IS would help there a tad.
I think brerwolfe meant the first version of the f/2.8 IS, which is a stellar lens but obviously discontinued. They come up pretty frequently second hand though.

brerwolfe

rass said:
I think brerwolfe meant the first version of the f/2.8 IS, which is a stellar lens but obviously discontinued. They come up pretty frequently second hand though.

discontinued? i had no idea. i mean, at worst you can get it used. i just bought mine a year ago, here's an amazon link listing it at $1369.

actually, i think that's without IS, wow... check fredmiranda.com...

rass

BT - I would love a 500 c/m + 40 or 50mm. Maybe if I win the lottery. Such a well built machine.

Danoss - my 7d + 15-85 + extra battery showed up just now, after posting on Friday afternoon. Pumped. I would happily deal with digidirect again.

And I'm going to pick up a lensbaby composer that I won on eBay for $164 after work too. Today is a good day :)

Now I just need to wait for the step up rings I ordered (ebay) to show up so i can fit my 77mm CPL on the 15-85.

Danoss

rass said:
my 7d + 15-85 + extra battery showed up just now, after posting on Friday afternoon. Pumped. I would happily deal with digidirect again.

And I'm going to pick up a lensbaby composer that I won on eBay for $164 after work too. Today is a good day :)
Glad to hear it man, I found them a pleasure to deal with and was hoping you'd get the same experience.

Do post some shots and/or impressions on the Lensbaby. I'm considering picking one up but I don't know much about them and am seriously unsure on which one to go for if I did.

rass

Danoss said:
Do post some shots and/or impressions on the Lensbaby. I'm considering picking one up but I don't know much about them and am seriously unsure on which one to go for if I did.
will do, I've been thinking about it for 4/5 years haha. I only jumped on this one because I've never seen them second hand, and I figure I'll lose $20 tops if I hate it and sell it on. I spent my 50 1.8 money on it haha, I'll have to get a nikon f - ef adapter so i can use my old nikon 50 1.8 e series.
I'm by myself at work for the next 2 hours. The sealed box sitting next to me is really testing my willpower haha.

Danoss

rass said:
will do, I've been thinking about it for 4/5 years haha. I only jumped on this one because I've never seen them second hand, and I figure I'll lose $20 tops if I hate it and sell it on. I spent my 50 1.8 money on it haha, I'll have to get a nikon f - ef adapter so i can use my old nikon 50 1.8 e series.
I'm by myself at work for the next 2 hours. The sealed box sitting next to me is really testing my willpower haha.
Haha, I know the feeling of an unopened new toy sitting next to you, taunting you to look inside.

I had a better look at those lenses and it seems the one you got is the best choice. If you hate it, I'll buy it off you. :)

ugh, my tripod head broke :(
it's a cheap canon 200 tripod that i've had for a few years. cracked at the base of the hinge for the quick release plate. anybody know if there are other heads that can fit on the base? or if i can buy a replacement head?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Valkyr Junkie said:
yea like lenses... lenses NEX desperately needs.

anyway my point is that the pictures that a new NEX takes aren't going to be significantally different or even at all different than the current NEX.

This isn't exclusive to Sony, Olympus is pulling this shit too, the EPL2 is almost exactly the same as the EPL1 and takes exactly the same pictures all they did was change some buttons and add a dongle that sync's bluetooth with your camera and a smart phone device. Yet a firmware update better come out for the EPL1 and EP2 to use this dongle. Oh and btw you can't buy the damn thing because Olympus is hiding it somewhere. Canon is like clockwork with their entry level cameras and the masses eat it up.

rass

first impression of lensbaby composer =
…this will take some time to get used to.

When you tilt you lose between 1 and 2 stops of light. Fairly difficult to get focus where you want it (though I didn't have an aperture disk in, so it was ~f/2) I'll have a better go of it tonight after work when there's enough light for f/4 or 5.6, I didn't get home until dark last night.

first impression of 7d = hot damn, what a camera. Solid and ergonomic (big hands). Pop up flash is oddly loud when you pop it up. I have no real intention of using it though. The 15-85 is built more solidly than I expected, IS works well. Should be a good travel lens. Didn't try video, but I'll probably give it a go tonight.

I'm glad to have another Canon, it's nice and familiar. Like coming home to a warm bed after a week camping.

captive said:
yea like lenses... lenses NEX desperately needs.

anyway my point is that the pictures that a new NEX takes aren't going to be significantally different or even at all different than the current NEX.

This isn't exclusive to Sony, Olympus is pulling this shit too, the EPL2 is almost exactly the same as the EPL1 and takes exactly the same pictures all they did was change some buttons and add a dongle that sync's bluetooth with your camera and a smart phone device. Yet a firmware update better come out for the EPL1 and EP2 to use this dongle. Oh and btw you can't buy the damn thing because Olympus is hiding it somewhere. Canon is like clockwork with their entry level cameras and the masses eat it up.
Also increased the screen size to 3" and increased the iso limit. ;)

cbox

rass said:
first impression of lensbaby composer =
…this will take some time to get used to.

I bought the lensbaby composer a while back and ultimately returned it, hopefully you can get more use out of it. Also welcome to the world of the 7d, it's an amazing camera!

mj1108

Well... just ordered a Canon Powershot S95. Been eyeing it for the last few weeks and finally decided to jump on it. Cannot wait to get it! :D

Zyzyxxz

mj1108 said:
Well... just ordered a Canon Powershot S95. Been eyeing it for the last few weeks and finally decided to jump on it. Cannot wait to get it! :D

You will love it! The S90 was a dream camera to use and the bokeh you could achieve on it was pretty amazing for a compact.

Villain

Neo Member
I got a $450 budget to get a new lens. I am currently shooting with an XTi plus a 50mm F/1.8 (it is a really lovely lens, good PQ for the price). I am looking for a good portrait lens that is around the price of $450.

I've come up with two lens in mind.

1) 85mm F/1.8
2) 50mm F/1.4

I really don't know which one to pick, could you guys help me out? Suggesting other lenses would be appreciated also.

rass

Villain said:
I got a $450 budget to get a new lens. I am currently shooting with an XTi plus a 50mm F/1.8 (it is a really lovely lens, good PQ for the price). I am looking for a good portrait lens that is around the price of $450.

I've come up with two lens in mind.

1) 85mm F/1.8
2) 50mm F/1.4

I really don't know which one to pick, could you guys help me out? Suggesting other lenses would be appreciated also.
you have a good portrait lens.

do you often wish you were closer to things or further away?

24 2.8 (environmental portraits)
85 1.8 to get in closer

I don't see any point in getting another 50, unless you really like shooting wide open

my 2 cents

Got this Tamrac 706 bag at a Thrift store today. out the door for $10. There was a nice vintage Magnavox VHS camcorder inside that had a microphone cover turned to dust inside but otherwise it's in immaculate condition with the velcro inserts included and lens bridge supports as well. The only sad thing is, in my quest to properly outfit myself after buying my new camera I had just owned a new Crumpler 5 million bag for a week now. Of course the way you guys and gals talk it seems like owning more than one bag is a sort of passion in itself so I'll just hold on to it. I like the vintage 80's look of it.
IMG_0994.jpg

Bii

mj1108 said:

I've held off on buying a point-and-shoot (for now) but if I had to choose, I'd pick the S95 as well.

On a different note, I want to get into shooting video. I'm thinking of upgrading my XTi to a T2i. I'm looking at the differences between a T2i and T3i, and I couldn't find enough reasons for me to justify the ~$150 price difference. I guess the question is whether or not I should pull the trigger now or wait another month or two to see if the price drops a bit?

mj1108

Zyzyxxz said:
You will love it! The S90 was a dream camera to use and the bokeh you could achieve on it was pretty amazing for a compact.

Bii said:
I've held off on buying a point-and-shoot (for now) but if I had to choose, I'd pick the S95 as well.

Thanks. This is my first footing into anything close to "high end" when it comes to point and shoot cameras. I've always had lower end Canon cameras and thought they did well (for what they were). The last one I had was a Canon SD1200 (it was a gift).... crazy (now ex-)girlfriend broke it last year so I've been eyeing getting my feet wet with something a bit better. Couple that with still having a little bit of my tax return left I thought I'd go for it.

Maybe I'd get into the DSLR's later, but I just want something great that I can easy put in a pocket and carry around with me for right now.

edit: The camera will be here today...woohoo! It's going to be a long day at work... I'll split it up between half work and half F5'ing the status of my tracking number. haha...

ittoryu

Hi guys,

I am sorry for the newbie question but... I am one.

I have a Canon 400D with the usual 18-55mm and the 50mm 1.8f; I was looking to buy another lens and I got caught with this Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS (around 150£ on Amazon).

Is it a good lens? Based on the reviews it should be ok, but I guess it would be good to ask you guys as well.

Thanks!

rass

Danoss said:
hey man
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mind_blown/sets/72157625992460111/
^^^a couple of shots from my first walk with the lensbaby. Not fantastic but the best I could come up with within 5 minutes of my unit haha.

It's fun to use, that's for sure. After reading through "Understanding Exposure" I'm getting the hang of manual everything a bit better (namely, where to meter from within a scene).

Danoss

Thanks for sharing man, i bloody love that effect! It can make the most plain photos exciting. Being so different from everything else, I have no doubt it will take some getting used to.

This may be a silly question, but does the "half shutter press while manually focusing and wait for the beep" trick work with this lens? I'm thinking no, but hoping that if you put your focus point where you've bent the lens to focus on, it might.

rass

Danoss said:
Thanks for sharing man, i bloody love that effect! It can make the most plain photos exciting. Being so different from everything else, I have no doubt it will take some getting used to.

This may be a silly question, but does the "half shutter press while manually focusing and wait for the beep" trick work with this lens? I'm thinking no, but hoping that if you put your focus point where you've bent the lens to focus on, it might.
I didn't even think to try haha, I use the AF-on button for focus (half press only starts metering). Just tried it - nope. Not for me anyway. The camera doesn't even recognize that a lens is attached fwiw, the aperture is changed using little metal discs and a magnet.

My concern with the lensbaby is that the effect is a crutch and I'll stop looking for interesting compositions and just blur everything to shit. Kind of like when I got a 135L a couple of years ago and just shot everything wide open for no reason other than how creamy the oof area was.

I think I like the 15-85, I need to shoot a wall with tripod to double check focus is ok, I've never tried to MA anything before but I had a fair few slightly out of focus errors on my walk with it, need to rule out user error.

Danoss

That's a shame man, well it'll take a bit of getting used to with manual focus. With plenty of practice, you'll be fine. :)

For a focusing test, I found this PDF that may help. There is also the battery test, where you put them in a diagonal line and see if it focuses on the battery in the middle.

cbox

can anyone reccomend an after market grip for my 7d? looking to add some more equip to my bag! still reading reviews on the 70-200's to....

I have a feeling it's gonna be an expensive month.

fixed my tripod head with superglue lol. panning in 3 directions still works fine. i'm scared to stick a 7d on there, but i mainly use it with my gf1 to shoot timelapse stuff anyway.

rass

BlueTsunami said:
Also, for you guys mildly interested in the X100, check out this recent video showcasing the sound of the shutter (extremely quiet) and the speed of it.
I think it's a damn sexy camera, and if I was looking for a compact I probably would go this.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/032171105X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

^^anybody read this? I have Light: Science and Magic and McNally's books. Thinking about learning how ettl works, this seems to have overwhelmingly good reviews

Danoss

Antimatter said:
Just got a Blackrapid rs-7 camera strap. Thing is great, holds my medium format cameras with ease.
Nice, I was looking at grabbing one of those, but have switched my interest to a Luma Loop.

Also, speaking of new gear, I just got myself a new tripod. I went with Manfrotto 190XPROB legs and a 498RC ballhead. Grabbed a remote shutter to suit my new 7D while I was at it, along with some other odds and ends.

Danoss

Antimatter said:
I was looking at getting the Luma but I need something that uses the tripod connector. Like the style of the Luma better too. :/
The Luma Loop can do that, you just need to buy the PodMount on top of the strap and away you go.

East Lake

Lol, guess that's what I get for not looking at the catalog link. Maybe I'll just get both and use each until they're destroyed, or dual wield cameras with two straps at once.

scotcheggz

I think this weekend I'm going to finally get hold of a DSLR, a few months ago when i was looking about, the Nikon D3100 was looking really nice from the reviews I was reading, is it still one of the best bets for an entry level DSLR?

Also, what kind of memory card am I looking at for this? Whilst I probably won't shoot too much video, it would be nice to have the option there, so would I need a bigger card, like 16GB+? I'm getting old and I haven't bought an SLR since they used actual film, so I'm a bit confused by all this memory card business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom