• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rass

The_Inquisitor said:
Bump this question again.
fwiw, I don't like backpacks of that design (i.e. accessible from the back when you are wearing it). That's just a personal preference though.

Do you need it to carry your laptop? I find bags without laptop sleeves more comfortable generally. I have a lowepro computrekker plus AW -http://products.lowepro.com/product/CompuTrekker-Plus-AW,1925,16.htm amongst others.

It is reasonably comfortable (not "all-day" comfortable though) and fits most of my camera gear, but it becomes so damn heavy with a laptop as well - something I didn't consider when I was screaming "zomg it fits everything!" as I bought it.

Danoss

rass said:
fwiw, I don't like backpacks of that design (i.e. accessible from the back when you are wearing it). That's just a personal preference though.

Do you need it to carry your laptop? I find bags without laptop sleeves more comfortable generally. I have a lowepro computrekker plus AW -http://products.lowepro.com/product/CompuTrekker-Plus-AW,1925,16.htm amongst others.
Nice choice, I really like a lot of the Lowepro gear. The only think I will pick on them for is that they're so well known. If you're wearing any of their gear, it screams "look over here, this guy has expensive photography gear!" You could remove the Lowepro badge to solve this problem.

Backpacks with access from the back isn't a good thing, I will agree. If you're with a friend it's okay, as they can watch for thieves and/or switch things out for you without you having to take it off. I wander around alone myself and can't risk someone reaching in and pinching something.

I like the Crumpler bags because they're inconspicuous and not generally associated with camera gear. I'm leaning towards grabbing a Karachi Outpost to suit these needs, plus having a removeable backpack sleeve is great. Can't recommend it as I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm sure it's awesome.

I don't know much about their range, but I have heard Think Tank Photo's bags are quite good.

rass

oh wait I'm an idiot.
The 2 lowepro bags I have are:

vertex 300
http://products.lowepro.com/product/Vertex-300-AW,2074,16.htm

and fastpack 200
http://products.lowepro.com/product/Fastpack-200,2085,14.htm

I want to get something like this next:
http://products.lowepro.com/product/Flipside-400-AW,2116,14.htm

can only get to the camera with the bag off, and you can get into it with the rain cover on. I'm in no rush for a new bag though, I'll get it soon enough.

I like ThinkTank bags quite a lot but last i looked there was no Aussie distributer, so I can't try one out before I buy it.
I borrowed some gear off a friend last year and he lent it to me in a crumpler of some form, a pretty comfy sling bag. Don't know if I'd buy one though, I hate their logo and I'm fickle like that. :lol

Danoss

rass said:
I hate their logo and I'm fickle like that. :lol
This entertains me :)

I've had my Lowepro bag for so long it's not even on their website. Mine's the Nova 5 AW, hardly portable but great for storage.

Just discovered that http://www.lapfoto.com.au/ imports and distributes Think Tank gear, they have a where to buy guide PDF here. Wish I discovered that a minute ago, I just pulled the trigger on the Crumpler bag.

Who am I kidding, I'll probably get a Think Tank bag on top of the ones I have already.

rass

Danoss said:
This entertains me :)

I've had my Lowepro bag for so long it's not even on their website. Mine's the Nova 5 AW, hardly portable but great for storage.

Just discovered that http://www.lapfoto.com.au/ imports and distributes Think Tank gear, they have a where to buy guide PDF here. Wish I discovered that a minute ago, I just pulled the trigger on the Crumpler bag.

Who am I kidding, I'll probably get a Think Tank bag on top of the ones I have already.
thanks for the link, you can never have enough camera bags :)

sturmdogg

Hey guys I'm sort of having problems with the AF on my d3100 (using the 18-55 kit lens).

When I'm using auto-focus most of the time the picture comes out a bit soft. When I switch to manual focus the photo looks great. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
phisheep said:
No. It's the physical size and packing of the pixels on the actual sensor that's important here - essentially a matter of how much light can get into each one (or how accurately you need to focus it to get it there).

So the sensor has fixed pixels, and in a lower megapixel setting it's just not using some of the pixels on the sensor?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Timedog said:
So the sensor has fixed pixels, and in a lower megapixel setting it's just not using some of the pixels on the sensor?

If I remember correctly it just throws away any unused pixels, so basically what you said. But looking it up quickly the pipeline on which this conversion happens is after its processed by Canons DIGIC processor so it doesn't effect the size of the file when it hits the framebuffer (only after).

bionic77

sturmdogg said:
Hey guys I'm sort of having problems with the AF on my d3100 (using the 18-55 kit lens).

When I'm using auto-focus most of the time the picture comes out a bit soft. When I switch to manual focus the photo looks great. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
What settings are you using?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Timedog said:

The algorithms vary mildly from manufacturer to manufacturer, but broadly speaking in a lower setting you accumulate info from more than one sensor into a pixel - so in effect you are aggregating the data rather than throwing some of it away.

Same idea though - it does not have any effect on the light sensitivity of the physical sensors themselves.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
phisheep said:
The algorithms vary mildly from manufacturer to manufacturer, but broadly speaking in a lower setting you accumulate info from more than one sensor into a pixel - so in effect you are aggregating the data rather than throwing some of it away.

Same idea though - it does not have any effect on the light sensitivity of the physical sensors themselves.

That makes sense. Aggregrating the data seems like it would be slightly better somehow, without knowing the details.

Sooooo, anyone know what cameras I should be looking at in the sub $1k (US) range other than the Nex-5, T2i?

Timedog said:
That makes sense. Aggregrating the data seems like it would be slightly better somehow, without knowing the details.

Sooooo, anyone know what cameras I should be looking at in the sub $1k (US) range other than the Nex-5, T2i?
If youre into video the Panasonic GH2 slides in just under your price limit and would be a good choice. It's smaller than the Canon while not being as tiny as the NEX, and has far superior video options to either of those cameras.

reggieandTFE said:
If youre into video the Panasonic GH2 slides in just under your price limit and would be a good choice. It's smaller than the Canon while not being as tiny as the NEX, and has far superior video options to either of those cameras.

The GH2 has been getting fantastic reviews.
Wish Panasonic had stuck that sensor in the GF2.

SaitoH

I have rebel XSI with the stock lens, a tokina 12-24, canon 50 1.8 and a canon 55-250. I'm looking to upgrade my stock lens with a zoom in a range somewhere from 18-85 mm, not too expensive and is a bit faster.

I was considering the Sigma 24-70/2.8 EX DG MACRO.

Anything recommendations?

brentech

Danoss said:
Backpacks with access from the back isn't a good thing, I will agree. If you're with a friend it's okay, as they can watch for thieves and/or switch things out for you without you having to take it off. I wander around alone myself and can't risk someone reaching in and pinching something.

I like the Crumpler bags because they're inconspicuous and not generally associated with camera gear. I'm leaning towards grabbing a Karachi Outpost to suit these needs, plus having a removeable backpack sleeve is great. Can't recommend it as I haven't gotten it yet, but I'm sure it's awesome.
Wow, that bag is gorgeous (if not a little high priced)...
The pictures convey a paper stuffed bag as opposed to actually having gear in it, so it'd be nice if there was more reviews on it. All in all, it looks like that company has some nice quality, inconspicuous gear though.

I too currently use a LowePro (Slingshot 200). I'm happy with what it's able to hold, but I do see it quite often on other people so I can understand what you guys are talking about. I do worry at times....

BlueTsunami

The Domke canvas like bags are also nice and aesthetically pleasing. I want to get one myself. They seem like they're easy to access too (have the flap open and drop/remove lenses from your side).

SaitoH said:
I have rebel XSI with the stock lens, a tokina 12-24, canon 50 1.8 and a canon 55-250. I'm looking to upgrade my stock lens with a zoom in a range somewhere from 18-85 mm, not too expensive and is a bit faster.

I was considering the Sigma 24-70/2.8 EX DG MACRO.

Anything recommendations?

The Sigma is an excellent choice.

You can got classier and grab a 24-70 2.8 L from Canon. But you'll pay the price for the best general purpose lens out there.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/reviews/canon-ef-24-70mm-f-2.8-l-usm-lens-review.aspx

Danoss

brentech said:
Wow, that bag is gorgeous (if not a little high priced)...
It arrived in the post this morning. I moved most of my camera gear into it with room to spare. I'm glad I bought the Medium sized version as its dimensions are perfect; any larger would have make carrying it around cumbersome (for my body size at least).

The gear is easily accessible and quite secure. The bag is comfortable to wear, though it takes a little bit of adjusting to find the sweet spot on the shoulders. This will really get put to the test when I head out for a full days hike.

As for the price, I agree; Crumpler bags are quite expensive. I don't mind paying the premium for the combination of cool styling, sturdy build and great warranty, though it is a barrier of entry for many.

brentech

Danoss said:
It arrived in the post this morning. I moved most of my camera gear into it with room to spare. I'm glad I bought the Medium sized version as its dimensions are perfect; any larger would have make carrying it around cumbersome (for my body size at least).

The gear is easily accessible and quite secure. The bag is comfortable to wear, though it takes a little bit of adjusting to find the sweet spot on the shoulders. This will really get put to the test when I head out for a full days hike.

As for the price, I agree; Crumpler bags are quite expensive. I don't mind paying the premium for the combination of cool styling, sturdy build and great warranty, though it is a barrier of entry for many.
Oh okay, didn't realize you already ordered it. Maybe let us know how it feels with a long days use when you get to that.
Right now I use my LowePro and a second backpack for a laptop which is a little annoying for travel destinations. I'd never carry my laptop around during photo excursions, but through the airports it'd be nice to just have the one bag.

I contemplated the larger LowePro with laptop slot, but it looked way too massive.

rass

so...
d700 is up on ebay, and I just ordered the 7d with 15-85 kit and a spare battery, might be here for the weekend but I have my doubts :)

Danoss - ordered from digidirect, their online ordering was suss as, I used paypal because there was no way my CC info was getting entered on their unsecured forms.

Now I play the waiting game :)

^^congrats Insane Metal, they are good fun! Unless you are an idiot like myself then they are a money sink.

Chairhome

So instead of getting a new lens soon (I have so much other stuff I want to buy :-( Such a consume), I was thinking about getting a Wide Angle adapter for one of my existing lenses. Any thoughts on those?

Danoss

rass said:
so...
d700 is up on ebay, and I just ordered the 7d with 15-85 kit and a spare battery, might be here for the weekend but I have my doubts :)

Danoss - ordered from digidirect, their online ordering was suss as, I used paypal because there was no way my CC info was getting entered on their unsecured forms.
Let me know how all that online ordering goes with digidirect (packaging etc), I'm interested to know. Silly that they're not encrypting their traffic, that's truly terrible.

Zyzyxxz

rass said:
so...

Now I play the waiting game :)

^^congrats Insane Metal, they are good fun! Unless you are an idiot like myself then they are a money sink.

how come you are switching from a fullframe back to a Crop?

Askia47 said:
I might bite on the Nex 5. However I need to know one thing, should I get a zoom lens or a pancake lens?

I'd go with just the kit zoom lens unless you really want the pancake, or can get a deal on the two-lens pack.

BlueTsunami

Instigator said:
If you must absolutely get a NEX, skip the Sony optics.

I think the Zoom lens is acceptable as far as IQ. The pancake has its following but I've read about (and seen) smearing around the edges of the frame even stopped down with that lens. Its too bad Sony hasn't come out with something rivaling the Pany 20/1.7 yet (though there is a rumor Zeiss is making a 24/1.7 for the NEX E-Mount).

Askia47

Thanks for the responses. I've been all over the place looking at camera's and I wanted a new one for the weekend. The nex is pretty slim which is the reason I was gravitating towards it. Also it has nice video capabilties.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
I managed to find this for pretty cheap. I've never used sigma lenses before. Since most people in here likely have much more equipment experience than I do this is probably the best place to ask. I've got the Nikon D5000 kit lense and and a 50mm 1.8 lens right now and figured that a good telephoto is my best bet to expand on my lenses. Advice? Thoughts on the lens? How does it stack up to the Nikkor lens?

Managed to find the Nikkor version for a little bit more, looks like I'll end up just getting that instead...

rass

Danoss said:
Let me know how all that online ordering goes with digidirect (packaging etc), I'm interested to know. Silly that they're not encrypting their traffic, that's truly terrible.
will do, I emailed them the other day, and was assured they have stock and it will be posted/insured properly. At least with paypal I can always do a chargeback if it never rocks up.

Zyzyxxz said:
how come you are switching from a fullframe back to a Crop?
a few reasons but mostly money. I am bad with it (very). For the price I ought to get for my d700 I've picked up a kit which is better suited to my needs for the next year or so. If I miss full frame I still have a nikon FG and some lenses so I can just shoot som film haha.

I also miss the familiar (to me) operation of a Canon camera, hellooo Jog Wheel! I never got my head around the menus and external controls of my d700 and the frequently borrowed d3s. Must be getting old haha.

brentech

JaggedSac said:
Thinking about getting the 55-250mm f/4.0-56 telephoto lens. Anybody had any experience with this lens? Wanting to get a telephoto to go with my kit and 50mm f1.8.
I use the lens on a 50D which makes it a 88-400mm equivalent. I haven't been out shooting much lately as the Winter put me into a photo hibernation, apparently. Some stuff I took this past September follows.

A few samples from my use with that particular lens:

IMG_0080-DPP_d3_seas.jpg

Very low-lit stage performance in a cruise ship theatre.
Used built-in flash. Taken a good moderate distance away.
Biggest issue there is a mild motion blur on his hand.

IMG_0043-DPP_d2_cococay.jpg

Subject is up around 400 feet(-ish?) off the boat.
Pretty sure I'm full zoomed and boat had some sway left in right (was hard to get them placed in a particular part of the frame).
I was shooting in continuous-slow mode at the time.

Sorry to post pictures here by the way. Not sure if I should have just linked in this thread. Just trying to show some quality of what the lens can capture.

Askia47 said:
I might bite on the Nex 5. However I need to know one thing, should I get a zoom lens or a pancake lens?

both, seriously. the pancake lens is really nice for making the camera pocket-sized and it's great in low light, but it'd be pretty crazy to have a wide angle prime as your only lens unless you had a specific reason. the kit with both lenses isn't much more expensive than one or the other.

if you could only have one then i guess the zoom, but you'd be missing out on quite a bit of what makes the NEX useful over both compact cameras and DSLRs - and if you don't get the double kit, buying one lens or the other later on would be a lot more expensive.

Blackhead

Redarse
Jayayess1190 said:
I'll still be waiting. Andy Ihnatko claims this will be the breakout year:

This is going to be a great year for the Micro Four Thirds camera standard, if sneak peeks are any indication. Two years ago, this new lens and sensor standard was a big lumpy bag of Concepts. In 2010, it became a viable niche in imaging: it was a way to build SLR-style cameras in smaller form factors.

This year, we’ll see Micro Four Thirds cameras that are cheap and pocketable. We’ll see new consumer cameras that can shoot “real” video as well as “real” photos. And we’ll see professional cameras built around the same lens system.

I hope all of this promise pays off. This is the first real chance consumers have had for “one lens mounting ring to rule them all.” I’d love to live in a world where the $300 I spend on a decent lens is an investment in the next five years’ worth of my photos and videos, and not something I give away to sweeten the deal when I move on to a new camera and have to sell off all of my old, incompatible gear.

JaggedSac

brentech said:
I use the lens on a 50D which makes it a 88-400mm equivalent. I haven't been out shooting much lately as the Winter put me into a photo hibernation, apparently. Some stuff I took this past September follows.

Cool, thanks man. Since you seem to not have any problems with it, and those pics look fine, I will give it a go.

MacGuffin

Has anyone used the Panny AF100?

I am shooting a short and have access to a Canon 7D but I'll need some sound so I'm considering renting an AF100 for the XLR and using it for additional coverage (or the main shoot)

Is there a steep learning curve?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Sony A580...what are people's opinions?

So far it looks like it's between this and the T2i. I still have a few weeks to go before making a decision though.

rass

I would have my 7d now if I wasn't such a dickhead.
@Danoss - I got an email earlier saying my order was on hold because my delivery and billing addresses are different (getting it delivered to work), with luck it will be sorted out tomorrow (spoke to them on the phone about 4.30), and I should get it early next week. Just found out that DCW, with a storefront half an hour from me, sells the kit for the same fucking price. There was a $200 price difference on the body only and I assumed the price difference would carry up through the kits… never thought to check. So annoyed right now. When I speak to DigiDirect tomorrow I might see if I can get a refund and just pick the camera up on Saturday locally.

I've not been without a camera in 6 years and my d700 is getting picked up Saturday afternoon :(

Timedog said:
Sony A580...what are people's opinions?

So far it looks like it's between this and the T2i. I still have a few weeks to go before making a decision though.

i'd probably rather have an A580 than a T2i, but if you're thinking sony i'd really recommend the A55 "SLT" over their "traditional" SLRs right now. the feature set is amazing for a camera in that price range, the body is a lot lighter and more compact, the live view is flawless, which is a great feature when there's a nice flexible screen, and the overall speed of the thing (10fps, autofocus etc) is pretty incredible. the only caveat is the electronic viewfinder, which might not be for everyone, but it's a good one and comes with its own advantages (spirit level, can review photos in viewfinder, etc). overall i'd say it's about the perfect first SLR, i have no complaints at all.

edit: comparison for size with the a500, which i think is pretty much the same as the a580:

compared-001.jpg

Danoss

Oh shit rass, that sucks man.

Good luck dealing with DigiDirect. I would think you'd be okay, the guy who sold me my kit (Tony) was the online manager; he was very reasonable and helpful. Who knows, you might be able to swing a discount?

brerwolfe

i'm going to come into a couple dollars after this weekend and think i'd like to get a good wide lens. i'll one day purchase a nifty-fifty, i just don't think i'll go that route until i have a full-frame body.

currently shooting with the 7D, i think i'm interested in the 20 f/2.8. i sometimes think i'd like something wider, but i'd like to have something fast as well. i take a lot of pictures, but i'm probably equally active on the video side, if not more active, so i'd like something that holds up in lower light.

i think $500-$800 is a good price point for me, are there any other suggestions? also, i'd like to be able to future-proof myself by getting a lens that will work with my eventual full-frame purchase. thanks in advance, GAF!

BlueTsunami

brerwolfe said:
i'm going to come into a couple dollars after this weekend and think i'd like to get a good wide lens. i'll one day purchase a nifty-fifty, i just don't think i'll go that route until i have a full-frame body.

currently shooting with the 7D, i think i'm interested in the 20 f/2.8. i sometimes think i'd like something wider, but i'd like to have something fast as well. i take a lot of pictures, but i'm probably equally active on the video side, if not more active, so i'd like something that holds up in lower light.

i think $500-$800 is a good price point for me, are there any other suggestions? also, i'd like to be able to future-proof myself by getting a lens that will work with my eventual full-frame purchase. thanks in advance, GAF!

Not sure if you want to go this wide but the Samyang 14/2.8, maybe? Its supposed to have just as good a resolution as Nikon's 14-24/2.8 at 14mm. Its manual focus though and has a huge amount of mustache distortion.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Valkyr Junkie said:
Disappointing that the rumors of the NEX-5 replacement and NEX-7 won't be until later in the year.
seriously? NEX 5 hasn't even been out a year. What could they possibly add that would make it better than the current NEX 5.

Its amazing how well the camera manufacturers have convinced most people they need the latest and greatest camera when the cameras they have now are more than capable of producing fantastic images.

captive said:
seriously? NEX 5 hasn't even been out a year. What could they possibly add that would make it better than the current NEX 5.

Its amazing how well the camera manufacturers have convinced most people they need the latest and greatest camera when the cameras they have now are more than capable of producing fantastic images.

The NEX-3 is going to be upgraded in less than 12 months of being on the market. What could they possibly add that would make it better than the current NEX-3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom