• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mustaphadamus said:
do you have a nex? I shoot with the a900 but was thinking for my walk around camera I might get a nex. Still on the fence about it though. Figured I could get the adapted and use my zeiss lenses on it.
Nope, I have a Pana LX-5 but have been eying the GF2/E-PL2/Nex's. If the new Nex's have more manual controls, then that might push me to get one over the M4/3's.

MultiCore

Greetings, Photo-GAF.

I just picked up a 5D Mk II, with a 24-105 F/4L IS, and am wondering if anyone has any personal experience with this lens.

Also, anyone use a 50mm f/1.8 on the 5D Mk II?

Stalfos

brerwolfe said:
i've decided on a lens... the canon 28 1.8.

anyone own this lens already? thoughts?
Someday I'd like to pick up something like that if I stay with crop sensor cameras (which I probably will). Gives a similar focal length as the classic 50mm on a full sensor.

brentech

MultiCore said:
Greetings, Photo-GAF.

I just picked up a 5D Mk II, with a 24-105 F/4L IS, and am wondering if anyone has any personal experience with this lens.

While I don't use the 50mm 1.8 on that body, it's pretty much every canon owner's starter normal lens because it produces excellent quality at an exceptional value.
To the touch, it doesn't feel like a finely crafted piece of equipment. More like a kids plastic toy - as it's super lightweight, but do not worry, as it is capable of great imagery.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
scotcheggz said:
I think this weekend I'm going to finally get hold of a DSLR, a few months ago when i was looking about, the Nikon D3100 was looking really nice from the reviews I was reading, is it still one of the best bets for an entry level DSLR?

Also, what kind of memory card am I looking at for this? Whilst I probably won't shoot too much video, it would be nice to have the option there, so would I need a bigger card, like 16GB+? I'm getting old and I haven't bought an SLR since they used actual film, so I'm a bit confused by all this memory card business.

D3100 looked really good to me too - I went with the Canon 550D eventually, but the D3100 was the only other left on the shortlist (and a lot cheaper). Sounds a good bet to me.

As for cards, I wouldn't blow out too mush to start with. If you're shooting video you'll want a fast card but not necessarily a huge one (unless you want to do enormously long single takes) - I'd go for a bunch of 4GB or 8GB fior starters until you get used to what you are shooting. It is just way too easy when you start off to fill a card up with way too much stuff you never look at again.

Oh, this is my first SLR since film too! Good to know there's a few other oldies around.

brerwolfe

Stalfos said:
Gives a similar focal length as the classic 50mm on a full sensor.

that's exactly my reasoning. i'll most likely by a 50 once i upgrade to a full-frame sensor, but for now i think it might be perfect for me.

there's a whole facebook debate on my page about it right now, but i think it's the way to go.

I just bought a Nikon D7000 - played about with it for the past couple days, awesome camera.

Any recommendations on a great lens to add to it for close-up photography? Also need another one for night photography as well.

rass

MultiCore said:
Greetings, Photo-GAF.

I love that lens. Used to have a 5d mk II and 24-105, fantastic combo. 50 1.8 is such a capable lens as well, and so damn cheap! I used it quite a lot on the 5d, it was more than capable (just don't drop it)

EternalDarko said:
I just bought a Nikon D7000 - played about with it for the past couple days, awesome camera.

Any recommendations on a great lens to add to it for close-up photography? Also need another one for night photography as well.
hmmm, maybe some kenko extension tubes (or similar) for macro. Not too much of an investment if you don't end up liking macro.

Night photography is fairly broad… cityscapes/night sky/clubs/nocturnal animals… Maybe a tripod could be your best bet instead of a new lens?

I got a nikon F - EF adapter in the mail yesterday in the hopes of using my E-series Nikkor 50 1.8 instead of buying another Canon one. It's really hard to turn the aperture ring and I can't get it to wide open, won't turn past f/4. :( dammit.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
With new NEX models coming, should I wait for them instead of jumping the gun? I was going to get the NEX-5 either tomorrow or something within the next 3-4 days. I could wait if they are coming out soon.

Kadey said:
With new NEX models coming, should I wait for them instead of jumping the gun? I was going to get the NEX-5 either tomorrow or something within the next 3-4 days. I could wait if they are coming out soon.
Only the Nex-3 replacement is coming in April, the Nex-5 replacement comes in September.

scotcheggz

phisheep said:
D3100 looked really good to me too - I went with the Canon 550D eventually, but the D3100 was the only other left on the shortlist (and a lot cheaper). Sounds a good bet to me.

As for cards, I wouldn't blow out too mush to start with. If you're shooting video you'll want a fast card but not necessarily a huge one (unless you want to do enormously long single takes) - I'd go for a bunch of 4GB or 8GB fior starters until you get used to what you are shooting. It is just way too easy when you start off to fill a card up with way too much stuff you never look at again.

Oh, this is my first SLR since film too! Good to know there's a few other oldies around.

Thanks, yeh I've been reading about and it seems it's best to get a few smaller cards as opposed to one big card. That suits me as the camera shop does a 3for2 offer on cards.

Settled on the D3100 since it had £50 off, pretty much sealed the deal for me. Going to pick it up shortly so I'm well excited to start taking pictures again. it's been about 8 years since I had a decent camera!

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Jayayess1190 said:
Only the Nex-3 replacement is coming in April, the Nex-5 replacement comes in September.

Yeah. I think I'm just going to get it. Can't wait that long for a new camera. I'm going to have to do research to make the most of it. It'll be my first DSLR.

rass said:
I love that lens. Used to have a 5d mk II and 24-105, fantastic combo. 50 1.8 is such a capable lens as well, and so damn cheap! I used it quite a lot on the 5d, it was more than capable (just don't drop it)

hmmm, maybe some kenko extension tubes (or similar) for macro. Not too much of an investment if you don't end up liking macro.

Night photography is fairly broad… cityscapes/night sky/clubs/nocturnal animals… Maybe a tripod could be your best bet instead of a new lens?

I got a nikon F - EF adapter in the mail yesterday in the hopes of using my E-series Nikkor 50 1.8 instead of buying another Canon one. It's really hard to turn the aperture ring and I can't get it to wide open, won't turn past f/4. :( dammit.

I would say mainly cityscapes and playing with different lighting conditions, street lighting etc for the night photography. I have a tripod and gorilla pod, which are pretty great for different situations.

I currently have the 18-105mm AF-S Nikkor lens and also an old 70-300mm Nikkor lens from some years back that I still use.

Any ideas on a great lens for close-up photography would be helpful - I want to have crisp images of plant and insect life without too much edge issues.

MultiCore

brentech said:
While I don't use the 50mm 1.8 on that body, it's pretty much every canon owner's starter normal lens because it produces excellent quality at an exceptional value.
To the touch, it doesn't feel like a finely crafted piece of equipment. More like a kids plastic toy - as it's super lightweight, but do not worry, as it is capable of great imagery.

rass said:

Thanks guys.

I've had my nifty fifty for a couple years on my 450d, and it's been great(Along with a couple EF-S lenses). I'm quite curious to find out whether video is going to turn out like I hope it will on this body. (The 5d is out for delivery as I type this.)

golem

rass said:
For a bit more the 50/1.4 is a really excellent lens too. I'm sure it would look great on the 5D

rass

haha
bought an sb900 (new) on eBay last May for AU$516 - just sold it on eBay, with a cracked $30 dome diffuser, for AU$462. I don't understand people. On the plus side, $54 to rent a flash for 10 months is pretty good :)

I just picked up an 57" Ambico "fluid head" tripod brand new in the box for $8 at a thrift store. This will be my interim tripod until a better quality one is bought. Any insight on this tripod and what one I should upgrade too?

mrkgoo

I finally got a canon ef 50mm f1.4 for a decent secondhand price! However, I soon discovered it has some microscopic hazing on an inner element. The focus was fine, images seemed ok (of course, I can't compare without - I suspect a loss of contrast as well as increased flaring). You can't see it by the naked eye, but if you held up a light off angle and against a dark background, you can just make it out.

So, photogaf, I returned it. Am I being pedantic? Should I just live with it and go take pictures? It's just that it bugged me inside.

MultiCore

mrkgoo said:
I finally got a canon ef 50mm f1.4 for a decent secondhand price! However, I soon discovered it has some microscopic hazing on an inner element. The focus was fine, images seemed ok (of course, I can't compare without - I suspect a loss of contrast as well as increased flaring). You can't see it by the naked eye, but if you held up a light off angle and against a dark background, you can just make it out.

So, photogaf, I returned it. Am I being pedantic? Should I just live with it and go take pictures? It's just that it bugged me inside.

You're paying your hard-earned (I assume) dollars for a lens.
If you're not getting what you want or expect out of it, you should return it.

Yeah, you can theoretically use anything to take good pictures, but I'm sure there's a better copy of that lens waiting for you out there.

rass

mrkgoo said:

This is why I don't test my things, I'd rather not know.
I'd have returned it too, had I noticed

My new friend arrived today, an eos5 off eBay. Now I need some kind of full frame lens haha. Thinking of selling my practically new efs 15-85 and replacing it with a couple of primes - 24 2.8 and 85 1.8. I won't lose too much money, it was a kit lens. I'll still take it to Hong Kong next week but I might sell it upon returning.

mrkgoo

rass said:
This is why I don't test my things, I'd rather not know.
I'd have returned it too, had I noticed

There's an element of this. I know what people will say by me posting, and it makes me wonder why I bother asking - I guess I just want reassurance :/. Anyway, off to return it. I'm thinking of just getting a new one at a reduced grey import with possibly limited or no warranty...

MultiCore

mrkgoo said:
There's an element of this. I know what people will say by me posting, and it makes me wonder why I bother asking - I guess I just want reassurance :/. Anyway, off to return it. I'm thinking of just getting a new one at a reduced grey import with possibly limited or no warranty...
I've had great luck with Canon's refurbed products.

Actually, almost everything I own from them has been refubred, including:
450d
EF-S 18-55
EF-S 55-250
EF 50mm f/1.8
5D Mark II
EF 24-105 f/4L

All perform fantastically.

I've also tried some grey market imports from B&H, and they're just as good.
I'd look at the refurb stuff if I were you though.

mrkgoo

MultiCore said:
I've had great luck with Canon's refurbed products.

Actually, almost everything I own from them has been refubred, including:
450d
EF-S 18-55
EF-S 55-250
EF 50mm f/1.8
5D Mark II
EF 24-105 f/4L

All perform fantastically.

I've also tried some grey market imports from B&H, and they're just as good.
I'd look at the refurb stuff if I were you though.

We don't have the same access to refurbs, being in NZ (I think). I bought some parallel imported Canon EF 50mm. It's free of hazing. However, it front-focuses. Fortunately, I can microadjust it to being not as annoying on my 7D.

You don't know how awesome you guys in US have it. It's a consumer's world there. Buy something, don't like it, bring it back.

In NZ, stores are not obliged to take anything back at all unless it's broken. The most they will get you to do is call Canon for fixing under warranty. And for that privilege, it costs more here. For example, the current retail price for an official Canon 50mm f1.4 is NZ$870, which is US$650. This lens costs US$370 on Amazon.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
This month I'm going to start building my own lights. I'm always using a studios set up so I guess I should build up my own collection. Will save money in the long run.

This month is one Alien Bee 800, Lithium Mini Battery pack (outdoor shooting), stand and umbrella. Next month I may add another stand and umbrella to go with the 580 EXII I already own, along with a reflector.

Zyzyxxz

pringles said:
Anyone have any experience of using a Nikon AF 50/1,8D on a D90? Would it be a good combo?

I used it for a while on my D90, although I do prefer the 35/1.8 because its a better focal length for a crop sensor the 50 produces some very nice images as well.

Plasmid

Recommendations for someone who doesn't have a good-tier camera at all? Always been interested in stuff like this.

For recording daily clips of life whats the price range for both i guess?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Plasmid said:
Recommendations for someone who doesn't have a good-tier camera at all? Always been interested in stuff like this.

For recording daily clips of life whats the price range for both i guess?
whats your budget? From what it sounds like I don't think you could go wrong with a m4/3rds or NEX camera. Carrying a DSLR every day with you would get old. Both do video and both are capable of taking fantastic pictures.

pringles

Zyzyxxz said:
I used it for a while on my D90, although I do prefer the 35/1.8 because its a better focal length for a crop sensor the 50 produces some very nice images as well.
Yeah I recently got the 35/1.8 for my D3000 and I'm loving it.

I'm actually asking about the 50 for my sister who is looking to create a lot of bokeh-effects, and I figured that lense would be even better than the 35 for that specific purpose.

I'm looking at getting a decent macro lens, anyone have any recommendations?

My camera is a Nikon D90.

At the moment I have a 50mm 1.8 and a Sigma 50-500mm 'Bigma' although I think I'm going to sell the Bigma as I never use it.

Danoss

I don't know much about Nikon lenses, but I have seen good results taken with a Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro, which is of course available in a Nikon mount.

If you don't have a flash yet, look into getting one as natural light shots with macro are difficult; rewarding, but difficult. If you go for a Speedlight, look into a bracket, so you can have the flash sitting next to the lens for maximum light. This will need a diffuser, but they are easy to make and are very effective.

This guy gives some great pointers for macro photography and also started out with the lens I've suggested. You can see his "coke can diffuser" here.

Hope this helps you out some.

Zyzyxxz

pringles said:
Yeah I recently got the 35/1.8 for my D3000 and I'm loving it.

I'm actually asking about the 50 for my sister who is looking to create a lot of bokeh-effects, and I figured that lense would be even better than the 35 for that specific purpose.

Here are some doggy bokeh examples:

This is with 50/1.8
4512243595_01d1d13c15_o.jpg

this is my puppy with the 35/1.8
5382168193_c20436ae4d_b.jpg

Stalfos

That puppy is so damn cute.

Pringles, you are right. If both are 1.8 then the 50mm should be able to have a narrower focus and create more bokeh. They may have different qualities of bokeh though depending on the aperture blades.

Chairhome

Assistance requested: I just won this lens from a shopgoodwill.com auction (they have some nice vintage lenses on there), and I have no idea what kind of adapter to use to get it onto my 60D. The description was Soligor MC 28mm Wide-Auto Lens. Anyone know which adapter I should get?

sa3556940224-se.jpg

sa2459941224-se.jpg

The lens itself has mixed reviews, but for the price, I couldn't resist trying it.

VNZ

Chairhome said:
Assistance requested: I just won this lens from a shopgoodwill.com auction (they have some nice vintage lenses on there), and I have no idea what kind of adapter to use to get it onto my 60D. The description was Soligor MC 28mm Wide-Auto Lens. Anyone know which adapter I should get?
"MC" means it's a Minolta SR mount, MC is from late 60s until late 70s. I don't think there's glass-free adapters from Canon EF->Minolta SR, so it's not the ideal combination.

Plasmid

captive said:
whats your budget? From what it sounds like I don't think you could go wrong with a m4/3rds or NEX camera. Carrying a DSLR every day with you would get old. Both do video and both are capable of taking fantastic pictures.

Let's say my range is 600-700 USD. I literally have no knowledge of photography.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Chairhome said:

sa3556940224-se.jpg

sa2459941224-se.jpg

The lens itself has mixed reviews, but for the price, I couldn't resist trying it.

Yeah, what VNZ said. All Minolta mount lenses require an extensive mount replacement that takes a good bit of time. The only lens that would be worth this time is the Rokkor 58/1.2.

Chairhome

VNZ said:
"MC" means it's a Minolta SR mount, MC is from late 60s until late 70s. I don't think there's glass-free adapters from Canon EF->Minolta SR, so it's not the ideal combination.
I heard that MC could also stand for Multi-Coated, as it does on some legacy lenses. But in this case, are you pretty certain its a Minolta mount?

BlueTsunami

Chairhome said:
I heard that MC could also stand for Multi-Coated, as it does on some legacy lenses. But in this case, are you pretty certain its a Minolta mount?

Actually you may be right. Quickly looking it up and I'm seeing that Soligor lenses are screw mounts which means it would take M42 Screwmount adaptors. Though I'm not sure how nicely that lens will play with your camera even with the adaptor. If it extends too much it may hit the cameras mirror at Infinity distances.

Chairhome

I guess I was too anxious! If its an M42 mount and I get the adapter, how can I test if it'll hit the mirror? Focus very slowly and see if it makes contact? :-(

BlueTsunami

Chairhome said:
I guess I was too anxious! If its an M42 mount and I get the adapter, how can I test if it'll hit the mirror? Focus very slowly and see if it makes contact? :-(

Its more than likely that it won't hit it if you're shooting with a crop camera. If you're shooting with a 5D/5DII then there may be trouble. A way to test is to shoot a frame and slowly focus towards infinity as you shoot each from. If it doesn't hang up the mirror then you'll be fine.

Chairhome

Thanks, ordered an M42 adapter and I'll let you guys know how it is. I'm using a crop camera (60D) so I should be okay. This is my first foray into vintage lens territory (influenced by you, BlueTsunami!), so this will be a nice experiment. If I don't end up liking the lens, I'm only out $20.

BlueTsunami

Chairhome said:
Thanks, ordered an M42 adapter and I'll let you guys know how it is. I'm using a crop camera (60D) so I should be okay. This is my first foray into vintage lens territory (influenced by you, BlueTsunami!), so this will be a nice experiment. If I don't end up liking the lens, I'm only out $20.

Some more research, Chairhome and it seems like the lens can come in other mounts (sort of like Sigma) so I'd try to make sure what mount its using. It could be M42 but that would be the easiest to find out (the mount looks like it can be screwed on to the camera).

VNZ

Chairhome said:
The lens pictured certainly isn't a M42 screw mount lens. It's a bayonet, and again I'd guess it's a Minolta SR one. Anyhow! An M42 adapter is a great buy in any case, there's plenty of M42 glass around.

Chairhome

VNZ said:
The lens pictured certainly isn't a M42 screw mount lens. It's a bayonet, and again I'd guess it's a Minolta SR one. Anyhow! An M42 adapter is a great buy in any case, there's plenty of M42 glass around.
Thanks for responding. I'll see if I can find a Minolta SR adapter...

Plasmid

A sony Nex-5 with 18-55 mm zoom lens would be what, 800 total? I'm mainly looking for something i can take pictures with during the day and video-tape throughout the entirety of the day.

I do apologize for random questions, my interest has been really peaked lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom