• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

anyone know why the new 50mm 1.8 afs from nikon is double the price of the original? 50mm af? is this just that lens is new in production and the price will drop in time or is that the price and it's just gonna is rise in time like the 35mm 1.8?

Taken from photography thread. Thought this was more appropriate. Forgot about this thread. Im looking for a lens for my new T2i. I want something with a decent zoom and possibly up to the 200mm range. Most importantly it needs to do well with video recording, something that will begin to give me trouble especially in lowlight will not do. Willing to spend up to 400$. I understand it wont be the best lens in the world, but I should be able to get a competent one at that price.

Alright GAF help me buy my first lens.

Ive wanted a 7D for sometime butI don't have the cash. Just got an incredible deal on a T2i so I took it. Local camera shop was going out of business so I got it new for 500. I just ordered some filters, a neoprene pouch (carrying the camera in my Timbuk2 bag), a hoodman viewfinder attachment (cheap but good for now), tripod, 32GB SDHC card, battery, and external mic attachment.

Now here are my questions for everyone.

I know the 7D and T2i and even 5D share a lot of the same accessories and lenses. I am getting it for both photography and so I can continue to make web shorts and short films. I have been shooting shorts with a 7D for some time now. My goal is to use the T2i for the next year or so and save slowly to get a 7D.

I have the stock 18-55mm lens that canon makes with the camera. Its nice, but I want something close to 155 or up 200mm. A decent zoom lens, but something that wont suck. In lower light situations so it is useable for video. My goal is to spend 200-400 and get a decent lens with those features. So i can later move into a better camera and then a great lens. I took this opportunity to grab the T2i since it has close to the same video quality of a 7D and Ive had great success with that so far, plus its an amazing deal 400$ off. Plus Im moving across country this summer to LA and wanted a good DSLR for the trip, as well as shooting a couple shorts this summer.

Anyone have any suggestions. Very excited to have my own DSLR instead of my schools, I can finally get back into photography. Ive been lurking these GAF photog threads for awhile, it will be fun to contribute.

Sorry for bothering you all but NIKON GAF what type of lens and hood do you recommend for my NIKON D5000, i take a lot of outdoor photos with a blazzin 100° Degrees sun over my head.

Danoss

HenryGale said:
Taken from photography thread. Thought this was more appropriate. Forgot about this thread. Im looking for a lens for my new T2i. I want something with a decent zoom and possibly up to the 200mm range. Most importantly it needs to do well with video recording, something that will begin to give me trouble especially in lowlight will not do. Willing to spend up to 400$. I understand it wont be the best lens in the world, but I should be able to get a competent one at that price.
Unless someone here is capable of pulling a rabbit out of a hat, I don't think what you want exists.

There are telephoto zooms out there under $400, but the low light performance is quite poor. There are telephoto zooms out there with excellent low light performance, but they are around double your budget of $400.

Here's a quick list of your best choices and their current prices on Amazon.
The lens I own for this purpose is:

I am more than happy to be proven wrong.

Billen said:
I have a GH2. I only need to learn exactly everything about it.

Anyone interested in purchasing a Sony A300? :D

Buy the 20mm f/1.7! I think it is still the best lens for any of the mirrorless systems currently out (NEX, micro 4/3, Samsung NX).

plasmasd

reggieandTFE said:
Buy the 20mm f/1.7! I think it is still the best lens for any of the mirrorless systems currently out (NEX, micro 4/3, Samsung NX).

Another great option is the Voightlander 25mm f0.95. Still hovering around $1200 but it is as sharp as a zeiss at f2 and stays fantastic all the way wide open.

tokkun

MagniHarvald said:
I was leaning more towards the FA77, but can you guys expand more on the other two (FA33/43), why would they be more logical? Thanks again =)

Personally I think that 77mm would be too long for my tastes. I have a 50mm prime for low-light shooting and even with that, I often wish I had something that was more wide-angle. For general shooting, I think 28-35mm is the sweet spot for low cost, fast primes on APS-C bodies. Good for indoor shots at bars or parties, also good for shooting wide-view subjects like architecture, landscape, etc.

77mm on an APS-C body is kind of limited in purpose. It would be good for doing studio portraits or concert photography (well, better than the shorter primes at least).

The thing about primes is that with a wide prime you can always crop later for a narrower field of view, but it's impossible to do the opposite with a long prime.

Zoille

tino said:
First of all, its 31mm not 33mm for godsake. As for why I recommend the 43? It's the lightest, cheapest, oldest and arguably the sharpest FA limiteds.

Any rate I would recommend the 55 1.4 first in the 3 lenses you mentioned. Its a true portrait lens as well as great low light lens, you probably need both.
40/43 is a weird focal lens on APS-C. I've never liked them on digital. Among the FA ltd the 31 is the more versatile. And the 31 is not a pancake!
The 77 is a great lens, but a lot of people prefers the 70 f2.4 (more homogeneous they say).

element said:
I went out to Foster Island here in Seattle and took some photos with my Canon 60D. Something other then concerts, which was nice. Mostly used my kit lens (18-135) so I could get up and close to the animals. I think next time I go out I'll rent the Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS or Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 APO HSM.

Why don´t you try and post your pictures over here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426686

Danoss said:
Unless someone here is capable of pulling a rabbit out of a hat, I don't think what you want exists.

There are telephoto zooms out there under $400, but the low light performance is quite poor. There are telephoto zooms out there with excellent low light performance, but they are around double your budget of $400.

Here's a quick list of your best choices and their current prices on Amazon.
The lens I own for this purpose is:

I am more than happy to be proven wrong.
Hah I figured this would be my answer. I suppose I can live with the kit lens ten. I got the camera for so cheap I would rather wait and get a good lens that will be versitile.

Thanks

tino

Banned
HenryGale said:
Hah I figured this would be my answer. I suppose I can live with the kit lens ten. I got the camera for so cheap I would rather wait and get a good lens that will be versitile.

Thanks
You can look into used 80-200 2.8 from Sigma and Tokina, around the time film transition the digital. There are many different versions so do your homework. Old Tokina were built like thanks.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So, a camera guy was telling me about some adapter that would allow my Canon T2i to fit older lenses? Is this true and if so, how do I get one?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
WanderingWind said:
So, a camera guy was telling me about some adapter that would allow my Canon T2i to fit older lenses? Is this true and if so, how do I get one?

http://www.fotodiox.com/

Look for any camera mount that fits to EOS or Canon EF. I personally own a Nikon F, m42 Screwmount and Contax/Yashica adatpers. You can feel safe in using the lower end adapters (which should go for around $20 I think).

You'll lose the electronic coupling between the lens and camera (this is important in regards to the camera knowing which aperture you're using). The camera will then use full TTL light metering and as the operator you'll be mostly in Manual mode or Aperture Priority (Av). Either dial in the exposure or go to Av mode and shoot away.

WanderingWind

BlueTsunami said:
http://www.fotodiox.com/

Look for any camera mount that fits to EOS or Canon EF. I personally own a Nikon F, m42 Screwmount and Contax/Yashica adatpers. You can feel safe in using the lower end adapters (which should go for around $20 I think).

You'll lose the electronic coupling between the lens and camera (this is important in regards to the camera knowing which aperture you're using). The camera will then use full TTL light metering and as the operator you'll be mostly in Manual mode or Aperture Priority (Av). Either dial in the exposure or go to Av mode and shoot away.

Thanks so far, btw.

Okay, so I'm looking for a _______that fits to Canon EOS right? Which, since the local used camera shop sells a metric ton of Nikon lenses, that blank would be Nikon, yeah?
EDIT: Like http://www.fotodiox.com/product_info.php?products_id=601 ?

BlueTsunami

WanderingWind said:
Thanks so far, btw.

Okay, so I'm looking for a _______that fits to Canon EOS right? Which, since the local used camera shop sells a metric ton of Nikon lenses, that blank would be Nikon, yeah?
EDIT: Like http://www.fotodiox.com/product_info.php?products_id=601 ?

Yep, that would be the right adapter if its a Nikon Non-AI, AI or AIS lens. Just make sure its not a rangefinder lens and you'll be good. Lots of great Manual Focus Nikkors to choose from too. I personally own the 28mm f/2 AI.

Also, if you want a portrait lens, keep a lookout for the Nikkor 105mm f2.5. Widely known for its sharpness and fantastic bokeh rendition.

gf3.jpg

gf3_2.jpg

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-gf3-leaked/

HenryGale said:

Thanks
I may have a f4/L I may be selling since I may be upgrading to the IS version.

Takosuke

After a few years with my Canon 400D + Canon 50mm 1.4 and the kit Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, I felt quite limited and didn't feel the urge to go out and take pictures... So after a lot of wait for an eventual 5D MKIII not coming, I finally ordered a 7D and a Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.

Not going full frame and investing in an expensive EF-S lens was a hard decision, but I guess I'll still be able to resell that easily if the 5D MKIII come out and buy some good EF L by that time. Hope it was a good decision, and can't wait to post pictures in the photo thread again!

Any feedback from people with a similar setup to prepare me to my new HW?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
bean breath said:
http://www.43rumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/gf3.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.43rumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/gf3_2.jpg[IMG]

[url]http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-gf3-leaked/[/url][/QUOTE]
Oh man, I don't like the body at all on that thing.

Danoss

I ordered some filters for some lenses along with some other stuff a while ago from DigitalRev. I got the bulk of the order a while back, but not a Kenko Pro1D ND8 filter as they had no stock and had no idea when it would arrive (Japan disaster most likely). They offered to substitute it for a Kenko Zeta ND8, which is a better quality filter, fine by me. They had to order it in from their distributor and then post it out.

Fast forward to today and a package arrives. Enclosed is a Kenko Zeta ND8 and a Kenko Pro1D ND8. Score.

Danoss

UnluckyKate said:
This is 2000€ here goddamit ! With €/$ conversion, it's 989€... Twice less the tagged price. I'm going mad. I need to buy shit in the US.
Really? You're not looking at the one with IS are you? That one is quite pricey indeed.

The Canon 70-200 f/2.8L (non-IS) should be around the same price as the 70-200 f/4L IS.

Mistle

This is my first time venturing into this thread, so I apologise if this has already been discussed.

I'm about to make the plunge into DSLR's, and I have my eyes set on the Canon 600D / T3i. I'm a high school student, so this is juuuuust within my budget. It's an upgrade from my current camera, a Canon G11, so I'm sure I'll notice a nice different in quality and handling. I also want to use it for film making, which is good as I hear it's very capable when it comes to video.

So yeah, just curious if anybody here has had experience with one or owns one? Perhaps could link me to some of their own work?
I'm going to go to the store a play with one as soon as I am able, but in the meantime, how does the lens handle? I hear minor complaints that it's plastic, and therefore a bit tacky. Though as long as it has a smooth zoom/focus, I doubt it'll bother me. Any thoughts on that in particular? Thanks!

EDIT: I've seen lots of comparisons with the Nikon D5100 too, so any thoughts on that would also be appreciated.

Borman

I have the t1i, which is a few years old at this point, but I still love that thing. Im saving for a 5dmII, but considering how much I love my t1i, the t3i will serve you for many years to come. The kit lens is okay, it takes decent pictures, but invest in the 50mm 1.8 lens, and you'll be a lot happier. Its cheap (100$ish new, cheaper used), and takes awesome pictures. The kit lens is still a good, multipurpose lens, it just doesn't serve well in low light.

On another note, I picked up a Minolta film camera with 2 lens and some other accessories, and Im really loving it. Anyone have any website to recommend that develop film relatively well for cheap? Walmart did a surprisingly good job, but I'd really like quality scans and such. I really need something for B&W. Setting up a dark room is a future project, but one that I can't currently do. Thanks!

IMG_6769.png

tino

Banned
bean breath said:
gf3.jpg

http://www.43rumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/gf3_2.jpg

[url]http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-panasonic-gf3-leaked/[/url][/QUOTE]

LOL Panasonic has one up itself and made the gf3 even uglier than the gf2.

Now it looks like a fucking Canon Elph.

[quote]After a few years with my Canon 400D + Canon 50mm 1.4 and the kit Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, I felt quite limited and didn't feel the urge to go out and take pictures... So after a lot of wait for an eventual 5D MKIII not coming, I finally ordered a 7D and a Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.

Not going full frame and investing in an expensive EF-S lens was a hard decision, but I guess I'll still be able to resell that easily if the 5D MKIII come out and buy some good EF L by that time. Hope it was a good decision, and can't wait to post pictures in the photo thread again!

Any feedback from people with a similar setup to prepare me to my new HW?[/quote]

You have gone all out and got the top end APS setup in Canon mount. It's true professional grade. Pros shoot wedding photos with it. Congratulation! Enjoy your gears. The good thing about getting pro grade gear is that when you shoot bad photos, you know its on you, not the equipments.

Although I would go with 5D mark I if I know I am going to go full frame one day. 5d1, 17-40, 70-200 f4 and I am all set. If I start fresh that is.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Mistle said:
This is my first time venturing into this thread, so I apologise if this has already been discussed.

I'm about to make the plunge into DSLR's, and I have my eyes set on the Canon 600D / T3i. I'm a high school student, so this is juuuuust within my budget. It's an upgrade from my current camera, a Canon G11, so I'm sure I'll notice a nice different in quality and handling. I also want to use it for film making, which is good as I hear it's very capable when it comes to video.

So yeah, just curious if anybody here has had experience with one or owns one? Perhaps could link me to some of their own work?
I'm going to go to the store a play with one as soon as I am able, but in the meantime, how does the lens handle? I hear minor complaints that it's plastic, and therefore a bit tacky. Though as long as it has a smooth zoom/focus, I doubt it'll bother me. Any thoughts on that in particular? Thanks!

EDIT: I've seen lots of comparisons with the Nikon D5100 too, so any thoughts on that would also be appreciated.

I've got a 550D/T2i. Not quite the same as the T3i but near-as-dammit except for the swivelly screen thing. I also have a young friend on a photojournalism course and he (and nearly all his classmates ) has a T2i (except the few who could afford a 7D).

I'm strictly a stills guy, but it works fine for me. He's done a bunch of video stuff that looks really impressive.

But if you're a high school student and short of money, don't splash out too much on the T3i body - instead get a good deal on the T2i and save for lenses, you'll be wanting them.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Borman said:
On another note, I picked up a Minolta film camera with 2 lens and some other accessories, and Im really loving it. Anyone have any website to recommend that develop film relatively well for cheap? Walmart did a surprisingly good job, but I'd really like quality scans and such. I really need something for B&W. Setting up a dark room is a future project, but one that I can't currently do. Thanks!

IMG_6769.png
I have 12 medium format slides off scanning at these guys, i'll let you know how they do http://phototechlabs.com/

website is janky but i've talked to living people there and they seem helpful.

WanderingWind

BlueTsunami said:
Yep, that would be the right adapter if its a Nikon Non-AI, AI or AIS lens. Just make sure its not a rangefinder lens and you'll be good. Lots of great Manual Focus Nikkors to choose from too. I personally own the 28mm f/2 AI.

Also, if you want a portrait lens, keep a lookout for the Nikkor 105mm f2.5. Widely known for its sharpness and fantastic bokeh rendition.

Okay, so I got the adapter and a 1.4 lens and in the process, I learned something about myself.

I fucking suck at manual focusing. I need that beep/light. My eyes are too bad to tell when something is actually in focus without it. I can't even adjust they eyepiece to enough, either.

So...do they make adapters that would at least let me know when something is actually in focus?

Borman

captive said:
I have 12 medium format slides off scanning at these guys, i'll let you know how they do http://phototechlabs.com/

website is janky but i've talked to living people there and they seem helpful.

Let me know how it goes :p Trying to find the best value and such that still offers good quality. Im not taking anything particularly fancy, but I want to make sure the negatives are in decent shape.

tino

Banned
WanderingWind said:
Okay, so I got the adapter and a 1.4 lens and in the process, I learned something about myself.

I fucking suck at manual focusing. I need that beep/light. My eyes are too bad to tell when something is actually in focus without it. I can't even adjust they eyepiece to enough, either.

So...do they make adapters that would at least let me know when something is actually in focus?

Its really easy to manual foucs on a MF and fast lens.

Although its even easier to focus on a full frame film/digital SLR. You feel like your left eye receive an upgrade.

MF lens also have focus distance markers on the lens, its very useful to use it for hyperfoucal shooting. To put to simple, if you have sufficient light, you can just set your lens to f/8 or f/11, switch your focus ring to the hyperfocal mark and shoot, you don't even have to focus. Everything from certain distance to inifinite would be in-foucs. This is something solely missing in modern AF lenses.

BlueTsunami

WanderingWind said:

You're gonna need a new focus screen for such a fast lens, unfortunately. They do make Auto Focus confirm adapters but I've never used one myself. About the screen itself, the stock screen in all Canon cameras are geared towards slower Auto Focus lenses which provide more light for these slower (or smaller aperture) lenses. The tradeoff to this gain in light is the Depth of Field being represented through your viewfinder is that of a f/2.8 lens. So what ends up happening is you try to focus, wide open, and throwing the point of focus where you want is a bit of a crapshoot (especially since the Depth of Field is so thin at this larger apertures). You'll see a dramatic rise in correctly focused photos if you stop your lens down beyond f/2.8 (partly due to the limitation of the screen and partly due to the gain in Depth of Field).

Companies like Katz Eye sell precision screens for the Rebel series cameras. I personally own a Katz Eye for my Rebel XT and can nail shots at f/1.4 but I still have to shoot with care.

WanderingWind

BlueTsunami said:
You're gonna need a new focus screen for such a fast lens, unfortunately. They do make Auto Focus confirm adapters but I've never used one myself. About the screen itself, the stock screen in all Canon cameras are geared towards slower Auto Focus lenses which provide more light for these slower (or smaller aperture) lenses. The tradeoff to this gain in light is the Depth of Field being represented through your viewfinder is that of a f/2.8 lens. So what ends up happening is you try to focus, wide open, and throwing the point of focus where you want is a bit of a crapshoot (especially since the Depth of Field is so thin at this larger apertures).

Companies like Katz Eye sell precision screens for the Rebel series cameras.

So, I have to buy an entirely new screen???

...I'm beginning to think I should've just sucked it up and bought the 50mm 1.4 autofocus lens. Goddamn it.

WanderingWind said:

...I'm beginning to think I should've just sucked it up and bought the 50mm 1.4 autofocus lens. Goddamn it.

Focus screens aren't that expensive. My Canon brand one for my 5DII was like $35, I imagine a third party one for a crop camera would be a lot less. Totally worth it.

tino

Banned
chaostrophy said:
Focus screens aren't that expensive. My Canon brand one for my 5DII was like $35, I imagine a third party one for a crop camera would be a lot less. Totally worth it.
Nah the Kats Eyes are more expensive.

Whats the point though, if you dont use MF lenses at least 50% of the time.

tokkun

Two questions for you guys:

First, I am looking to buy a cheapo fisheye adapter. The adapters all have a scaling factor on them, like "0.2X" or "0.42X". What is this number used for? Does it scale the focal length of the lens you attach it to?

Like 18mm x 0.42 = 8mm equivalent?

Here's an example listing:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001K5R38Q/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Second, although these things are all labeled "for Canon" or "for Nikon", it seems to me that an adapter that screws on to the end of an existing lens should work for any system as long as it matches the diameter of the lens filter. Am I overlooking some key detail, here?

BlueTsunami

WanderingWind said:

Not the best workaround since its doesn't involve looking through the viewfinder but I'd play with the cameras Live View. The Depth of Field represented on the screen in Live View will be correct.

tokkun

BlueTsunami said:
You're gonna need a new focus screen for such a fast lens, unfortunately. They do make Auto Focus confirm adapters but I've never used one myself. About the screen itself, the stock screen in all Canon cameras are geared towards slower Auto Focus lenses which provide more light for these slower (or smaller aperture) lenses. The tradeoff to this gain in light is the Depth of Field being represented through your viewfinder is that of a f/2.8 lens. So what ends up happening is you try to focus, wide open, and throwing the point of focus where you want is a bit of a crapshoot (especially since the Depth of Field is so thin at this larger apertures). You'll see a dramatic rise in correctly focused photos if you stop your lens down beyond f/2.8 (partly due to the limitation of the screen and partly due to the gain in Depth of Field).

Couldn't you just use the DoF Preview button?

Danoss said:
Really? You're not looking at the one with IS are you? That one is quite pricey indeed.

The Canon 70-200 f/2.8L (non-IS) should be around the same price as the 70-200 f/4L IS.

Yeah, just checked an indeed, you are right. Nontheless, the non IS is still 1400€...

Danoss

UnluckyKate said:
Yeah, just checked an indeed, you are right. Nontheless, the non IS is still 1400€...
Wow, that's more than it'd cost me to buy Australian stock.

DigitalRev have it for about the same price I can buy it for in Australia, which is about 1150€.

BlueTsunami

tokkun said:
Couldn't you just use the DoF Preview button?

In his case he's trying to shoot with a fast legacy lens wide open. The DoF preview button only stops down a lens to the aperture you've set for it (electronically) which is different from the issue he's having (correctly judging focus wide open with a focus screen that isn't beneficial for these type of lenses). The advent of Auto Focusing has allowed camera manufactures to lax on focus screen quality and usefulness beyond composing and semi fast DoF representation. Once you install a matte focusing screen (or look through a film body thats equipped with one) you should be able to notice much more "focus snap" when focusing such fast lenses wide open.

aeiko said:
all mineee.. 5d mark ii + 35 mm 1.4/L

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/175/24078810150212351801052.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Argh, I've seen way too many people making awesome camera related purchases recently. But I can't hate on you, thats a sweet setup. Enjoy!

Guys, i am sorry for bothering again, but can someone please recommend me some kind of hoods and lens filters for my NIKON D5000, i will be forever appreciated.

Danoss

I know next to nothing about Nikon, but you'll need to post info on the lenses themselves. Lens hoods are designed on a per-lens basis and filters are made for filter ring diameters.

Danoss said:
I know next to nothing about Nikon, but you'll need to post info on the lenses themselves. Lens hoods are designed on a per-lens basis and filters are made for filter ring diameters.
Its a Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR AF-S or the kit lens that came with the Nikon D5000 :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom