• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Banned
arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Its a Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR AF-S or the kit lens that came with the Nikon D5000 :p

Your lens should come with a hook. Just get a UV filter of the right size.

East Lake

Borman said:
On another note, I picked up a Minolta film camera with 2 lens and some other accessories, and Im really loving it. Anyone have any website to recommend that develop film relatively well for cheap? Walmart did a surprisingly good job, but I'd really like quality scans and such. I really need something for B&W. Setting up a dark room is a future project, but one that I can't currently do. Thanks!]
Is a flatbed scanner an option? If you plan on doing this long term scanning costs will add up.

Nex-C3 is now out and available for pre-order! It is smaller than the Nex-3 and 5, as well as all M4/3's. Now for the Pana GF3 and Olympus mini Pen (E-PL3) coming later this month.

$650 for zoom
$600 for pancake

Roundup of news on it: Sony Alpha Rumors
ZUR34-S.JPG

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Jayayess1190 said:
Nex-C3 is now out and available for pre-order! It is smaller than the Nex-3 and 5, as well as all M4/3's. Now for the Pana GF3 and Olympus mini Pen (E-PL3) coming later this month.

$650 for zoom
$600 for pancake

Roundup of news on it: Sony Alpha Rumors
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/NEXC3/ZUR34-S.JPG[IMG][/QUOTE]

Sony need to get on building a high quality hotshoe mounted EVF for these things. A small ultra high resolution OLED screen. I would cream myself so hard.

Hammer24

Banned
Mistle said:
I'm about the bite the dust on a Canon EOS 600D with a EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens.

http://www.shoppingsquare.com.au/p_83155_Canon_EOS_600D_Kit_18135mm_Lens_Digital_SLR_Camera

Keep in mind that it's AU$. Cheapest I can find on the net. This'll be my first DSLR, and as I'm into film making also, the positive comments about this cameras film capabilities (as well as photos of course!) really sold it for me. Any objections?

The only objection is, if you really need a moveable screen. If not, then you get the same quality for considerably less money with a 550D.

Gabyskra

Banned
Hammer24 said:
The only objection is, if you really need a moveable screen. If not, then you get the same quality for considerably less money with a 550D.

Agreed. I'd take a 600D for the screen though (I have a 550D), it would come in handy for tripod use and filmmaking.

I just saw that on the same website, there's a kit with a 18 55 lens and a 55 250 lens for cheaper... If what you want is reach, then that's your best option, IQ being similar. I'm not sure what I'd prefer to be honest. Get a 50mm f1.8 anyway.

Danoss

tino said:
Your lens should come with a hook. Just get a UV filter of the right size.
Theres one thing about UV filters, it's pretty much go all out out or don't bother. Typically, if it's a kit lens, I wouldn't bother at all.

UV filters will impact image quality, the cheaper ones just make the IQ that much worse. A good UV filter won't be cheap, which is why I wouldn't recommend it for a kit lens; it'll be more prudent to put money towards a better lens or something else entirely.

I have one high quality UV for each of the diameters I use (67mm and 77mm) just in case, but it's a rare day when I actually use either. It's only worthwhile putting one on if you're damn sure things are going to be flying directly at your lens with a good chance of breaking the front lens element; if not, just use a hood.

Here's a great example of why I say this: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011/06/good-times-with-bad-filters

Mistle

Hammer24 said:
I'm upgrading from a G11, which also has a swivel screen, and I've grown to like it. It'll be especially handy when filming, I think it's worth it.

Gabyskra said:
Agreed. I'd take a 600D for the screen though (I have a 550D), it would come in handy for tripod use and filmmaking.

I just saw that on the same website, there's a kit with a 18 55 lens and a 55 250 lens for cheaper... If what you want is reach, then that's your best option, IQ being similar. I'm not sure what I'd prefer to be honest. Get a 50mm f1.8 anyway.
Hmm, I didn't notice that kit. It's tempting. But as a beginner with DSLRs and lenses and such, I'm trying to keep it simple. I know two lenses isn't complicated lol, but I feel for now I'd be better off with a single, multi-purpose lens. The 18-135 seems to fit that- as I desire the extra zoom, and the improved focus ring (compared to the 18-55's focus, which felt really tacky imo) is important to me, with film and all.

Gabyskra

Banned
Mistle said:
Hmm, I didn't notice that kit. It's tempting. But as a beginner with DSLRs and lenses and such, I'm trying to keep it simple. I know two lenses isn't complicated lol, but I feel for now I'd be better off with a single, multi-purpose lens. The 18-135 seems to fit that- as I desire the extra zoom, and the improved focus ring (compared to the 18-55's focus, which felt really tacky imo) is important to me, with film and all.

Sure, your reasoning makes sense, but one of the points of DSLRs is also the use of replaceable lenses. I can not stress enough the pleasure that it is to play with a fixed focal length lens that is blazing fast. The 50mm 1.8 is cheap, and will change the way you take photos and think about things such as depth of field. Note that I'm not making the case for that one kit (my ideal setup would rather include a 24mm 1.4 L II and a 135 L, I love primes)

Personally, if I just wanted a walkaround lens and not think about changing lenses, i'd get a Fujifilm FinePix X100 and zoom with my feet...

fujifilm-finepix-x100-camera-1-550x363.jpg

If I had the cash, I'd get it anyway...

But I hear you about making movies :) Your choice is excellent.

BlueTsunami

bean breath said:
Another shot of the GF3:

http://i56.tinypic.com/117a7pg.jpg[IMG]

[URL="http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-new-full-size-picture-of-the-gf3/"]43 rumors[/URL][/QUOTE]

Holy shit thats small. For some reason the advert shots made it seem bigger. Though I'm not sure if its worth the fugly rounded aesthetics. Need to see one in black.

Also a 14mm f/2.5 lens? Seeing as how the profile is so small and at that focal length (well, the area of view should be around a 28mm lens) it would make a fantastic take anywhere camera.

Mistle

Gabyskra said:
Sure, your reasoning makes sense, but one of the points of DSLRs is also the use of replaceable lenses. I can not stress enough the pleasure that it is to play with a fixed focal length lens that is blazing fast. The 50mm 1.8 is cheap, and will change the way you take photos and think about things such as depth of field. Note that I'm not making the case for that one kit (my ideal setup would rather include a 24mm 1.4 L II and a 135 L, I love primes)

I'll most definitely be looking into more lenses in the future, I'm sure it'd be a blast to experiment and try out all the different options. That 50mm f/1.8 one sounds nice, and for that price, I'd be crazy not to try it out one day. Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely look further into lenses and what options I have.
But yeah, at least for the first few months, I want to get comfortable with a DSLR and know my way around it as I really have limited experience. I think I'm set on the 600d, starting off with the 18-135mm, and I'll see where I go from there. Can't wait to play around with it!

BlueTsunami said:
Sony need to get on building a high quality hotshoe mounted EVF for these things. A small ultra high resolution OLED screen. I would cream myself so hard.

i agree with this so much that i went out and bought an a55.

nex-c3 is hot! and the a33/55/nex-3/5 firmware update that adds the focusing thing and creative styles is coming june 20th, so that'll be fun.

i do not quite understand why the first new lens to come out is a 30 3.5 macro, though - it looks pretty much the same size as the a-mount 30 2.8, while being slower.

and christ i want an x100 so bad.

whalekock

Gabyskra said:
Personally, if I just wanted a walkaround lens and not think about changing lenses, i'd get a Fujifilm FinePix X100 and zoom with my feet...

fujifilm-finepix-x100-camera-1-550x363.jpg

If I had the cash, I'd get it anyway...

I hope that Canon looks at this camera and decides to make an updated digital Canonet. Other than the price the x100 is perfect.

i can't help but play with it every time i go into an electronics store these days. the viewfinder is just too cool.

i really don't think it's worth the price, unfortunately, but it's a full-on amazing piece of design.

Gabyskra

Banned
Image quality on the x100 is so good though. I think the pricing is smart, sadly. It's two thirds of the price of a 24mm 1.4 L II. If you have an APS-C DSLR, the comfort of the x100 could be worth it. It just screams fun to me, for all those occasions where you don't feel like bringing your DSLR...

tino

Banned
Gabyskra said:
Image quality on the x100 is so good though. I think the pricing is smart, sadly. It's two thirds of the price of a 24mm 1.4 L II. If you have an APS-C DSLR, the comfort of the x100 could be worth it. It just screams fun to me, for all those occasions where you don't feel like bringing your DSLR...

The price is almost worth it. The 23mm 2.0 lens itself worth about $350-400 if you go by comparable Pentax pancake price.

Then you add the price of an SLR and the hybrid viewfinder, the price is there.

Hopeful by the time it discontinues, it can be have for around 800. I almost brought a refub Sigma DP1 for $300. But Amazon cancelled my order. I definitely think the X100 worth at least twice as much as the DP1.

i use a kit which basically amounts to methanol-soaked tissue paper on the end of a stick. not sure how anything non-liquid would work out, but that thing certainly looks easier to use.

Gabyskra said:

yeah but i have a NEX! if i didn't, i'd probably consider it a lot more strongly.

the x100 isn't actually that small, though, and it's kind of heavy. i'd definitely consider it a "go out to shoot" camera.

BlueTsunami

Fuji has been very candid about the X100 and they seem to be really thinking about how the revision will better the system. I'm getting a vibe that they may be developing a X100 body with an interchangeable mount. If they allow it to be as open as the NEX it would be an amazing camera.

Zyzyxxz

BlueTsunami said:
Fuji has been very candid about the X100 and they seem to be really thinking about how the revision will better the system. I'm getting a vibe that they may be developing a X100 body with an interchangeable mount. If they allow it to be as open as the NEX it would be an amazing camera.

interchangeable with micro 4/3rds would be quite awesome.

luoapp said:
What are you guys using to clean your sensors? I am looking at lenspen's Sensor Klear. Any one have used it here?

http://www.adorama.com/CPSK.html?ut...ping Site&utm_campaign=Other&utm_source=gbase

I buy Olympus and I never worry about dust. :)

BlueTsunami said:

Is it just me or is it a bit ridiculous Fuji didn't do that from the get-go with the X100?

BlueTsunami

Instigator said:
Is it just me or is it a bit ridiculous Fuji didn't do that from the get-go with the X100?

No, I feel exactly the same way. Its a wonderfully rounded system (though with some firmware hiccups) and the glass elements of the lens itself sits very close to the sensor (which allows for the thin profile even with the lens). With that said I couldn't spend that much money on a lens that fits a certain scope of photography. You'd have to really be devoted to the 35mm focal length. Maybe, in some other dimension where this is made, I'd buy a full frame version with a fast 50mm lens.

Cdammen

I need some guidance towards purchasing a new lens. I have a Canon EOS DSLR camera with an APS-C sensor (standard 1.6x crop), I also have a shitty kit lens, a Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 and a Helios 44-2 58mm f/2.0 manual M42 lens.

...and now I need something for travel. Something in the kit lens range (15-55mm) but with better focusing, sharpness and an aperature of f/2.8 at its most open, or maybe a wide angle prime. I'm prepared to spend around $500.

Eyeing the Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM but I like the flexibility of a zoom. I'm planning on visiting Morroco in a couple of weeks and will shot everything from people, small tourist places and vast desert landscapes. Please help! :)

Danoss

Cdammen said:
...and now I need something for travel. Something in the kit lens range (15-55mm) but with better focusing, sharpness and an aperature of f/2.8 at its most open, or maybe a wide angle prime. I'm prepared to spend around $500.
This sounds like a job for the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (non-VC). It fits the zoom range you're after and it comes in decently under budget. Seriously, look no further.

It is an amazingly great value lens, especially with the IQ this thing puts out. I love mine to bits.

BlueTsunami said:
No, I feel exactly the same way. Its a wonderfully rounded system (though with some firmware hiccups) and the glass elements of the lens itself sits very close to the sensor (which allows for the thin profile even with the lens). With that said I couldn't spend that much money on a lens that fits a certain scope of photography. You'd have to really be devoted to the 35mm focal length. Maybe, in some other dimension where this is made, I'd buy a full frame version with a fast 50mm lens.

yeah, there's a 24mm 1.7 carl zeiss NEX lens coming soon, and i can't imagine that being much cheaper (if at all) than the X100.

Can anyone tell me how I can copy jpg photos from my PC to my PS3? I tried putting them on a flash drive, both in a folder and singly, but the PS3 isn't recognizing any images there.

In the past I have successfully downloaded images directly from my Canon G7 onto the PS3, but these are 7D images that I've post-processed that I want to copy over so I can display them on an HDTV.

BlueTsunami

Lucky Forward said:
Can anyone tell me how I can copy jpg photos from my PC to my PS3? I tried putting them on a flash drive, both in a folder and singly, but the PS3 isn't recognizing any images there.

Maybe try pressing triangle on the root folder of your images (in the PS3) and click the option "Show All"? I remember having to do this for video, it may be the same for pictures (think it has to do with how the files are structured).

BlueTsunami said:
Maybe try pressing triangle on the root folder of your images (in the PS3) and click the option "Show All"? I remember having to do this for video, it may be the same for pictures (think it has to do with how the files are structured).

Hey, that worked! Thank you!

olbareun

Instigator said:
I buy Olympus and I never worry about dust. :)

When I had the e-p1, I ended up using that one pancake (20mm f1.7) for portability and nothing else. I believe there is a market for people who want a fixed focal length in a small size camera with large sensor. (usually as a carry around backup to a dslr) As for why they didn't go with exchangeable lens system, it is likely due to the ovf/evf hybrid they used to distinguish x100 from sigma dp series or leica x1. There isn't a modern solution to getting that ovf to work with multiple focal lengths. If they do indeed come up with x200 or the exchangeable lens equivalent version of x100, I have a feeling they will ditch the ovf.

Cdammen

Danoss said:
This sounds like a job for the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 (non-VC). It fits the zoom range you're after and it comes in decently under budget. Seriously, look no further.

It is an amazingly great value lens, especially with the IQ this thing puts out. I love mine to bits.
Thank you, that was one of the lenses I looked at when browsing my local photo shop :)

I'll read some reviews and check out some example pics but it's a strong contender, and price is important, it's always nice if I can save some cash and still get a quality lens. Thanks again!

Chairhome

I think I'm finally going to "downgrade" my 430 EX (not II) to a 320EX cause I want that LED... I already have a 550ex and some very cheap slaves, hopefully the lesser power doesn't hurt me too much. $200 shipped sound like a good price for the 430ex? I'm probably going to put it up on ebay if I can't get anyone on craigslist to bite.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Kamakazie! said:
FINALLY! The Pana 20mm F1.7 came back in stock on Amazon. Snapped it up, can't wait to see what it can do in low light with my E-PL2.
Glad I snagged that lens before the super price inflation happened.

itwasTuesday said:
Yeah not the best price these days but glad it is finally on its way. Especially after using the stock lens for some party shots!!!

itwasTuesday said:
I sold mine on EBay for $460 last week. I bought it last year for under $400. :)

It's a fantastic lens but I'm going to get the Leica-branded Panasonic 25mm F/1.4 that's going to be announced this week.

Can anyone recommend a small camera bag (to fit an Olympus E-PL2 and a couple of spare lenses) that has removable paddings / compartments that I could also stick in my bigger messenger bag?

tomjr

Kamakazie! said:
Can anyone recommend a small camera bag (to fit an Olympus E-PL2 and a couple of spare lenses) that has removable paddings / compartments that I could also stick in my bigger messenger bag?

Does it need to be a small camera bag?

I got a padded insert for my timbuk2 from ebay. Depending on the size, though, it might take up all the space in your bag and it might be more than you need for the epl2. Anyway, just an option for you.

First pic of the new Panasonic Leica 25mm F/1.4 for micro 4/3:

xmlh00.jpg

Also the new GF-3 somehow squeezed in a pop-up flash, at the expense of a hot shoe I guess:

1kzrk.jpg

Link

BlueTsunami

We're slowly moving towards lenses with sensors attached. Thats pretty much the case with the NEX. I'd love to see that size of a lens on the GF3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom