• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tokkun

Those cameras just look so uncomfortable to hold. I can see the appeal of using them with a pancake lens, but not for anything more substantial.

MRORANGE

bean breath said:
If you really want to see how small the NEX C3 is you should see it with the 18-200mm lens and new flash attached:

2011-6-10-img1239.jpg

It's like a pirate's telescope, lol.

seems a bit pointless to me, I would rather go with a dslr or a bridge camera, I thought the whole point of the 4/3 system (I know the Nex is aps-c) was to have slr quality photography in a compact body. adding huge len's to it slighty defeats the compact side of things.

MRORANGE said:
seems a bit pointless to me, I would rather go with a dslr or a bridge camera, I thought the whole point of the 4/3 system (I know the Nex is aps-c) was to have slr quality photography in a compact body. adding huge len's to it slighty defeats the compact side of things.
The E-PL's mostly get it right. Pretty compact body with OIS meaning the smallest kit zoom lens of the Nex's/M43. Which is why I am excited to see the E-PL3 at the end of this month, as well as the GF3 is a couple hours.

MRORANGE

Jayayess1190 said:
The E-PL's mostly get it right. Pretty compact body with OIS meaning the smallest kit zoom lens of the Nex's/M43. Which is why I am excited to see the E-PL3 at the end of this month, as well as the GF3 is a couple hours.

It's not that I hate the 4/3 system I just feel that huge lenses don't make sense, although the pancake lenses for the 4/3 really do tempt me sometimes, considering how long I've been waiting on information on the Nikon Evil camera :|

MRORANGE said:
assuming that you want the quality and flexibility of a large sensor coupled with the responsiveness of an SLR, and with those things in mind want to use (for example) an 18-200mm lens, what else would you propose? sure the lens makes it not exactly pocketable, but it's still a lot lighter and easier to carry than an SLR - and you can turn the same body into a genuinely pocketable, high quality camera in a few seconds by switching lenses. that's the appeal.

i have a NEX and an a55 (tiny for an SLR, but still basically an SLR) and they get about equal use from me for this reason. come on, who'd buy a bridge camera in 2011?

Jayayess1190 said:

Don't you mean the E-P3?

345triangle said:
assuming that you want the quality and flexibility of a large sensor coupled with the responsiveness of an SLR, and with those things in mind want to use (for example) an 18-200mm lens, what else would you propose? sure the lens makes it not exactly pocketable, but it's still a lot lighter and easier to carry than an SLR - and you can turn the same body into a genuinely pocketable, high quality camera in a few seconds by switching lenses. that's the appeal.

A somewhat smaller sensor? Sony didn't have to use an ASP-C sensor. Considering they like to make everything propriety and custom, it's surprising they did use something more standard (but they couldn't resist in other areas, like the flash connector).

tino

Banned
APSC is a good sensor size for mirror less. Nikon will release its 2.5x mirrorless system soon. If Canon release its system in the similar 2x 2.5x range, then Sony will have the best mirrorless system for enthusiasts.

The E mount is also more open than the m43 mount.

The thing about frankenstein consumer 5x zoom and mirrorless combo is that... you shouldn't buy these lenses for those bodies anyway. You should only buy physically small pancakes for yourself and slow ass 3x zoom for your wife. Every other type of lens, buy it on a sister SLR system.

GF series seems to be getting worse and worse with every iteration, with the continuing removal of controls. The G3 looks nice though, it seems like Panasonic is ditching the faux-SLR styling of the G1 and making a camera as compact as possible while still featuring an eye-level viewfinder. G3 kit with 20/1.7 would be very tempting to me.

man of science

Neo Member
Still love my GF1. They have yet to upgrade it as far as I'm concerned. Also, what will the 25/1.4 do that the 20/1.7 can't? Seems like a waste. What I would love is a 50/1.4 portrait lens that's smaller than the 45/2.8 macro.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Okay, I give up. I'm going to save for a f1.4 lens for my 550D that has auto focus. I am too shitty to shoot reliably without that feature.

Any recommendations, oh great knowers of camera stuff?

tino said:
APSC is a good sensor size for mirror less. Nikon will release its 2.5x mirrorless system soon. If Canon release its system in the similar 2x 2.5x range, then Sony will have the best mirrorless system for enthusiasts.

Define good.

Why not APS-H or Foveon? Why not FF mirrorless while you're at it?

And sensor size does not define an entire system.

tino

Banned
Instigator said:
Define good.

Good as in making the right compromise. Camera hardware design is all about making the right compromise. IQ, size, weight, cost, you have to give in one way or the other.

APSH is a dying format, Canon is ditching it from the 1D soon. Well Leica has FF mirror less system. Since I can't afford it I am not interested in it.

The bigger the sensor size the better the IQ obviously.

If m4/3 wants to use a smaller and noisier sensor, its perfectly fine. But the saving has to reflect in the price, and I mean lenses prices. Right now, neither 4/3 camps can show they can lower the total package cost for the IQ sacrifice they have made.

olbareun

chaostrophy said:
GF series seems to be getting worse and worse with every iteration, with the continuing removal of controls. The G3 looks nice though, it seems like Panasonic is ditching the faux-SLR styling of the G1 and making a camera as compact as possible while still featuring an eye-level viewfinder. G3 kit with 20/1.7 would be very tempting to me.

I believe there is a pro version of GF series coming out soon as well.

every iteration of the gf series so far has taken away controls, at least in terms of having dedicated buttons. i think this smooth design on the gf3 is pretty ugly too, and i don't see the point in making the bodies any smaller, unless this will actually fit in a small pants pocket (the gf1 and 2 do not, even with pancake lens). hopefully the pro version they're supposedly announcing soon will be back in the direction of the gf1.

man of science said:
Still love my GF1. They have yet to upgrade it as far as I'm concerned. Also, what will the 25/1.4 do that the 20/1.7 can't? Seems like a waste. What I would love is a 50/1.4 portrait lens that's smaller than the 45/2.8 macro.

Oly is supposedly coming out with a 50 or 45 F/1.8 this fall. If it can match the quality of the four thirds 50 F/2.0 we're in for a treat. Unfortunately, it's probably not going to be a macro.

The pana-leica micro 4/3 25mm is going to have a half a stop more light and it's a 50mm (35mm equivalent), what's not to like? The 20mm is awesome, but I'd rather have the tighter FOV with greater light-gathering possibilities.

tokkun

Instigator said:
Define good.

"Good" is the largest sensor you can fit into a compact body with an entry-level price tag. Sony has demonstrated this is possible with the NEX cameras.

A second advantage of APS-C is that there are a large number of current and future lenses built for that sensor size that you can adapt on your camera. Sony's adapter allows auto-focus with many of their A-Mount APS-C lenses on the NEX. You can also still use older 35mm lenses in manual focus with a crop factor of 1.6x, which is not terrible. I feel that smaller sensors increase the crop to an unacceptable level.

A third advantage is that APS-C sensors are already produced in high volume so you can benefit from economies of scale and reduced R&D costs.

tokkun said:
"Good" is the largest sensor you can fit into a compact body with an entry-level price tag. Sony has demonstrated this is possible with the NEX cameras.

A second advantage of APS-C is that there are a large number of current and future lenses built for that sensor size that you can adapt on your camera. Sony's adapter allows auto-focus with many of their A-Mount APS-C lenses on the NEX. You can also still use older 35mm lenses in manual focus with a crop factor of 1.6x, which is not terrible. I feel that smaller sensors increase the crop to an unacceptable level.

A third advantage is that APS-C sensors are already produced in high volume so you can benefit from economies of scale and reduced R&D costs.

Smaller sensors allow faster, smaller, cheaper lenses, allowing you can shoot the same scene at a lower ISO. Right now NEX and Micro 4/3 lenses are about equivalent in speed to basic SLR lenses, but what if the kit lens on a smaller-sensor interchangeable lens camera was closer in aperture to the lens on a high-end compact, say f1.8-2.5 zoom, with primes and higher-end zooms getting faster from there? It's a balancing act between the sensors and the lenses, and the category is still a bit new to declare an obvious best balance IMO.

Danoss

tino said:
APSH is a dying format, Canon is ditching it from the 1D soon.
This is news. Considering some of the stuff I've read on the making of sensors and how the different sizes construct an image, it seems unlikely. Canon would need to make a great leap of progress to abandon APS-H at this stage or even in the relatively close future.

If you have a NEX please give me a long detailed look at the interface. I have played with it in a Best Buy, and am going to go and play again soon because I think the Nex-C3 and it's sensor (plus sweep panorama) have won me over. But the one reservation I have about getting it over the GF3/E-PL3 is the menu. I am just hesitant about all the menu diving with the lack of buttons. So if you have a Nex-3/5 if you could tell me about how you deal with the menu and lack of buttons, that would be extremely helpful.

Jayayess1190 said:
If you have a NEX please give me a long detailed look at the interface. I have played with it in a Best Buy, and am going to go and play again soon because I think the Nex-C3 and it's sensor (plus sweep panorama) have won me over. But the one reservation I have about getting it over the GF3/E-PL3 is the menu. I am just hesitant about all the menu diving with the lack of buttons. So if you have a Nex-3/5 if you could tell me about how you deal with the menu and lack of buttons, that would be extremely helpful.
Is Samsung's NX series not on your radar?

Forsete

MRORANGE said:

That is a 200mm lens though, so it is a bit extreme. There are limits how small telescope lenses can be.
18-55mm, 16mm pancake, 30mm macro and 24mm Zeiss are pretty small lenses.

NEX5 with 16mm vs, Zeiss 24-70mm for a A-mount camera. Also seen is the 18-55mm NEX lens. :p
4974261869_c91d47d002_z_d.jpg

Jayayess1190 said:

I dont know if the demo models have the new firmware, probably not. With the latest firmware you can select which features link to which button. So your most important settings dont require you to enter into a menu, its only a button press away.

yeah the NEX quadrupled its ease of use with that firmware update. the most menu-diving you ever have to do now is to switch between P/A/S/M modes, and that's like 3 button presses tops.

Forsete said:
I dont know if the demo models have the new firmware, probably not. With the latest firmware you can select which features link to which button. So your most important settings dont require you to enter into a menu, its only a button press away.

345triangle said:
yeah the NEX quadrupled its ease of use with that firmware update. the most menu-diving you ever have to do now is to switch between P/A/S/M modes, and that's like 3 button presses tops.

Good to hear. Now I just need to save up more money.

EDIT: But the E-PL3 will have a tilt screen. My Canon A620 in the past had one and I loved it...

chaostrophy said:
It's a balancing act between the sensors and the lenses, and the category is still a bit new to declare an obvious best balance IMO.

Exactly.

I don't get these folks wanting a big sensor in a small body and then you have monstrous lenses, some of dubious optical quality, that throw both portability and IQ out of the window.

tomjr said:
Does it need to be a small camera bag?

I got a padded insert for my timbuk2 from ebay. Depending on the size, though, it might take up all the space in your bag and it might be more than you need for the epl2. Anyway, just an option for you.

A decent insert on it's own could be good but it needs to be fairly small. Something along the lines of the short 2 compartment one from Domke but ideally a bit cheaper than the £30 you have to pay over here.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
BlueTsunami said:
0cjxB.gif

I find it weird though that they give it the Summilux name. Guess it signifies the speed of it but the Leica-M Summilux's go for $3K and above.
its because its Leica's design but built by Panasonic, several of the Panasonic lenses are like this.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
captive said:
its because its Leica's design but built by Panasonic, several of the Panasonic lenses are like this.

That's true, I just always thought Leica were a little more anal about the usage of these terms or names. Its cool though that Panasonic has Leica and Sony has Zeiss.

So, anyone have any good info on the Canon Warranty process when it comes to a kit lens that has non-functioning auto focus? I bought the camera 3 months ago. Thanks for any input on this.

BlueTsunami said:
That's true, I just always thought Leica were a little more anal about the usage of these terms or names. Its cool though that Panasonic has Leica and Sony has Zeiss.

The Leica names are just really branding for the different max aperture sizes on their lenses.

Elmar - F3.8-F4
Elmarit – F2.8
Summarit – F2.5
Summicron – F2
Summilux - F1.4
Noctilux – F0.95-F1

I'm super excited for this lens and am particularly surprised by the price: only $599 at adorama for preorder. I do wish the they left the manual aperture ring from the 4/3 version and added OIS, but it still looks amazing.

BlueTsunami said:

I read somewhere a while ago that a lot of the Micro 4/3 lenses rely on software rather than optical distortion correction, to reduce size. And Leica didn't want their name on an interchangeable lens that does this, because it could in theory be mounted to a camera that doesn't do that processing and produce badly distorted images. That would explain why most of the Panasonic m4/3 lenses haven't had the Leica name, while most fixed lens Panasonic compacts have Leica-branded lenses.

345triangle said:
so do the NEX cameras!
I know, but the E-PL3 will have one that swivels and rotates. I went to Best Buy and played with the NEX-5 for a few minutes, the interface was fine and I believe I can deal with it. Though not the first time seeing it in person, it is so small and the C3 is even smaller! Even with the 18-55 lens it is just as manageable for me to carry as my LX5.

Off topic: Also played with a 3DS and I want one more than before too. The 3D slider was really cool, and my eyes didn't hurt at all.

MRORANGE

BlueTsunami said:
Very small sensor and C-Mount lenses. That's disappointing. Guess no one wants to challenge Sony and their NEX.

indeed, i'm also slightly worried that this pentax sensor will be used for the nikon evil. Considering the sensors sizes patents of nikon are in the same ball park.

BlueTsunami said:
Very small sensor and C-Mount lenses. That's disappointing. Guess no one wants to challenge Sony and their NEX.

Or they just want to try something different? Samsung's NX series also has mirrorless bodies with APS-C sized sensors and a better lens lineup than Sony and they haven't done particularly well.

The great weakness of the NEX series (besides the still inexcusable lack of EVF) is that lenses that have to cover a big sensor are always going to be big. Primes can be made small enough, but zooms are going to be huge and unwieldy on those bodies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom