• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jayayess1190 said:
GF3 will be ultra small. Good news for me because ultimately I'd love a compact like my LX5 with a fixed lens, but a huge sensor. So this I would love to compromise (for now) and get.

if it's really panasonic TZ-series sized with an M43 mount that would really be something. i still have a TZ-something kicking around that i never use now that i have a NEX, but those are great compacts.

though, anything with a zoom would still probably preclude the camera from being pocketable.

Question for anyone who may know:

I just bought a Pentax K-r as my first SLR camera. My dad informed me that he has a bunch of old lenses from the Pentax he had in the 80's. If these lenses fit onto the K-r, will they be backwards compatable at all?

aparisi2274

Hey All, need some assistance with a new lens.

Currently I am using a Canon Rebel XTi with a 18-55mm IS lens. I use this lens as my all-purpose lens and I do most of my shooting with it. I also have a 75-300mm Zoom lens, which I use with my tripod when I want to get some distance shots, or long exposure shots.

Anyway, what I am looking for, and I am not sure if this is a camera limitation or a lens limitation, but what I need is a lens that can handle a much faster burst rate for when I want to take multiple photos with the press of the shutter button...

Right now, my camera spec for this type of shooting is:

Drive Modes Single, Continuous, Self-timer/Remote control
Continuous Shooting Speed Approx. 3 fps (at shutter speed of 1/250 sec. or faster)
Maximum Burst JPEG: approx. 27 frames (Large/Fine)
RAW: approx. 10 frames
RAW+JPEG: approx. 8 frames (Large/Fine)

What I am looking for is a way to speed that up. I assume I am going to need to update my camera if I want to do that, but I was looking for some advice before I take the plunge and upgrade my camera or lens for that matter.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

345triangle said:
yeah, i have to say i liked the design of the GF1 a lot more.

congrats - i have the same camera and it's fantastic!

ages ago i got a book by david busch on the a550 series, 95% of which could apply to the a55 as well, and 60% of which would apply to any DSLR. it tells you all about the menus, what each mode does, the principles of SLR photography etc, but framed from the perspective of the alpha system so there are specific lens recommendations and things like that.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/143545944X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

turns out he's actually written a specific a55 one, anyway! i would definitely recommend it based on the version i had.
Thanks a lot! This is exactly what I wanted. :D

Stalfos

aparisi2274 said:

Currently I am using a Canon Rebel XTi with a 18-55mm IS lens. I use this lens as my all-purpose lens and I do most of my shooting with it. I also have a 75-300mm Zoom lens, which I use with my tripod when I want to get some distance shots, or long exposure shots.

Anyway, what I am looking for, and I am not sure if this is a camera limitation or a lens limitation, but what I need is a lens that can handle a much faster burst rate for when I want to take multiple photos with the press of the shutter button...

Right now, my camera spec for this type of shooting is:

Drive Modes Single, Continuous, Self-timer/Remote control
Continuous Shooting Speed Approx. 3 fps (at shutter speed of 1/250 sec. or faster)
Maximum Burst JPEG: approx. 27 frames (Large/Fine)
RAW: approx. 10 frames
RAW+JPEG: approx. 8 frames (Large/Fine)

What I am looking for is a way to speed that up. I assume I am going to need to update my camera if I want to do that, but I was looking for some advice before I take the plunge and upgrade my camera or lens for that matter.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Burst rate is limited by capabilities of the camera. Each model will have a max fps in continuous mode. I don't shoot burst mode but it should also be limited by available light. So if you want to achieve max burst rates in low light then you need to look at at fast lenses such as fixed aperture zooms or primes.

aparisi2274 said:

Pretty sure that's a camera limitation, not a lens one. I always see burst rate specs on cameras, but not lenses. I believe the 7D is the fastest Canon camera (8fps) that's compatible with EF-S lenses.

tino

Banned
Dahellisdat said:
Question for anyone who may know:

I just bought a Pentax K-r as my first SLR camera. My dad informed me that he has a bunch of old lenses from the Pentax he had in the 80's. If these lenses fit onto the K-r, will they be backwards compatable at all?
Yes they will meter. Although fixed lenses will be alot more usefu than f4.5-5.6 consumer zooms.

Danoss

aparisi2274 said:
This is 100% up to your camera body. The current fastest Canon body without spending mega bucks is the 7D. It shoots 8fps in high-speed continuous burst mode. It can keep this up for about 15 frames in RAW or about 93 frames in JPEG.

The 7D has an incredible auto-focus system, so it's great for sports/action shooting.

Looking at the lenses you have, you may wish to do some upgrading in that area also. You will benefit from an increase of IQ and will be better equipped to shoot in a more varied range of conditions.

luoapp

Danoss said:
This is 100% up to your camera body. The current fastest Canon body without spending mega bucks is the 7D. It shoots 8fps in high-speed continuous burst mode. It can keep this up for about 15 frames in RAW or about 93 frames in JPEG.

Does it re-focus between shoots?

tokkun

Danoss said:

The 7D has an incredible auto-focus system, so it's great for sports/action shooting.

Looking at the lenses you have, you may wish to do some upgrading in that area also. You will benefit from an increase of IQ and will be better equipped to shoot in a more varied range of conditions.

A cheaper alternative would be the Sony a55, which does up to 10fps. Not as nice of an all-around camera as the 7D, but the body is about $1000 cheaper than the 7D, which would leave enough money left over to replace all his existing lenses with the equivalent Sony/Minolta versions and still have $700 left over for new lenses (plus a few hundred more after selling the Canon lenses).

Danoss

luoapp said:
Does it re-focus between shoots?
It is up to you if this happens. You can (and should) map separate AF and shutter buttons on the 7D.

Combining a separate AF button with AI-Servo is great for tracking subjects, as you are less likely to lose focus on them and can fire the shutter whenever you like.

tokkun said:
A cheaper alternative would be the Sony a55, which does up to 10fps.
Unless something major has changed since release, this isn't entirely true. The a55 can do 10fps, but in a special mode where the shots are on auto. It can only do 6fps when allowing you full control, which is still quite impressive for its price point.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Timedog said:
I think I might save up for months and get the Canon 24-70 2.8L. Anyone else have this?
It's a great lens, but there's been some fairly strong rumors it will get a new version this year.

edit - I would start saving now and in a couple months it might be announced. It may end up being more expensive than the current model, though. Either way you're going to get a great lens.

luiztfc

I decided to buy the D5100 kit as my first DSLR and start learning from there. However, I'll ask a friend of mine that is going to the US on vacation to buy it for me. Some questions:

1 - If I buy the kit on Amazon and have it delivered in his hotel room (in San Diego), will I have to pay sales tax?

2 - Does Amazon offer some kind of overnight delivery? If so is it expensive? And more importantly, can it be trusted?

3 - I want to split the bill in two credit cards. As I'm pretty sure Amazon will not accept it, I wonder if I can buy gift cards for the appropriate amounts with each Credit Card and then redeem the mentioned cards in one account (and then buy the kit).

Thanks!

tokkun

Danoss said:
Unless something major has changed since release, this isn't entirely true. The a55 can do 10fps, but in a special mode where the shots are on auto. It can only do 6fps when allowing you full control, which is still quite impressive for its price point.

Sort of. If you want to do continuous autofocus in 10fps mode, then the camera will not let you change the aperture, ISO, or shutter speed.

You can get full control in 10fps mode if you choose single autofocus or manual focus.

Danoss

Yeah, that's not that great. You can only dictate the exposure or, have continuous AF, but not both. Losing either in a situation where you would use 10fps is not desirable.

Like I said though, it can do 6fps for real, which is excellent for the price.

i think it's 7fps for real, 10 in the dedicated mode. maybe 6, though.

anyway, i like that the 10fps mode is its own thing on the dial, even if it is only auto - it's there if i need it, whereas i can just leave the (still very) fast continuous setting on for all other situations.

mclaren777

mclaren777 said:
I'm looking to buy something that will make the pop-up flash on my T2i not suck so much. Any suggestions?

$30
http://www.lightscoop.com/
i9mXz.jpg
I'm very pleased with my decision!

c94Y9.jpg

zZvRx.jpg

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
mclaren777 said:
I'm very pleased with my decision!

http://i.imgur.com/c94Y9.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/zZvRx.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I may need to get this too. That looks like a nice $30 spent for flash in smaller room (which I mostly shoot in when with family). It looks like strength of the flash being bounced and the ambient light are almost nicely balanced.

tino

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
I may need to get this too. That looks like a nice $30 spent for flash in smaller room (which I mostly shoot in when with family). It looks like strength of the flash being bounced and the ambient light are almost nicely balanced.
You can just wrap a white napkin in front of the pop up flash, the effect is almost the same. Try it.

bjaelke

I'm looking for some photo editing software recommendations from you guys (skimmed through the last couple of pages and "OP" with no luck). I don't mind spending money on a license if it's worth it. Finally got my grant, so I'll be buying a 550D next week.

Davedough

So... Photo-Gaf. I have a question.

After my father passed, my mother had held onto most of his things for some time and just this past weekend, she asked me to clean out the attic of his stuff. In the end, I ended up with some old school vintage photo equipment.

Is there a market for vintage photography equipment? All of the stuff that I have, appears to work and ranges from a small Mamiya "spy camera" which looks like its probably 110mm, but I cant tell for sure to a rather large hulking Mamiya camera that almost looks like an old school polaroid in the fact that you look down through the top of the camera at what the lens is focusing on and insert a film "card" (sorry, I'm not a photo guy), snap the photo then remove the card and develop the picture. Both pieces appear to be mid-late 1960s style stuff.

I also got a good deal of dark room developing equipment, again... old stuff. There's this big camera looking thing that slides on a telescopic, metered pole that looks like its made for taking smaller pictures and blowing them up to larger ones.

So, is there a market for this stuff from people who cling to vintage photo equipment, or has it all been usurped by digital SLR?

Hello everyone, i finally got a DSLR, a low level entry one, but hey i can´t complain, its a NIKON D5000, i wanted to know if any of you can help with any kind of recommendation that i can buy, lens or anything at all.

What i do really need help is with shutter speed, don´t know why when i put the shutter speed over 1/200s it suddenly goes black the image, is that right or my camera is broken?

bjaelke said:
I'm looking for some photo editing software recommendations from you guys (skimmed through the last couple of pages and "OP" with no luck). I don't mind spending money on a license if it's worth it. Finally got my grant, so I'll be buying a 550D next week.

I think it depends on how heavy you want to get with editing, if you want an application to catalog your photos, and what OS you use.

That being said, my personal preference is Lightroom.

123rl

Lightroom is the best but it is expensive and may be too advanced for a beginner. I know if I tried to use it now I would struggle. I use Photoshop Elements, which is a bit easier to learn, IMO. It will also do everything that you need when starting out

bjaelke

JLateralus said:
I think it depends on how heavy you want to get with editing, if you want an application to catalog your photos, and what OS you use.

That being said, my personal preference is Lightroom.
First timer, so nothing too advanced! Thought that was implied with my 550D purchase. I'm on Win7 and just looking for something to play with the photos afterwards. Not looking to sell or publish them. I don't mind reading through a few tutorials before getting into the whole editing.

tino

Banned
I use Faststone MaxView for browsing and category, Photoshop with a Photoshop keyboard for editing. Photoshop 6 is all you need for basic editing.

Stalfos

bjaelke said:
Canon cameras come with Digital Photo Professional and you'll be able to do a lot of basic editing with that.

Flo_Evans

I like aperture for Mac. iPhoto just doesn't have enough. Lightroom is slightly more advanced, pretty nice if you are on PC. Aperture has some real nice slideshow generators and just as many sliders as lightroom, I think lightroom has better retouching brushes.

I do use google Picassa at home for quick cropping and sharing. Photoshop for heavy editing.

mooooose

I'm interested in getting into film but I don't know anything. What's a good cheap film camera that I can get on eBay? Looking for $50>

East Lake

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Hello everyone, i finally got a DSLR, a low level entry one, but hey i can´t complain, its a NIKON D5000, i wanted to know if any of you can help with any kind of recommendation that i can buy, lens or anything at all.

What i do really need help is with shutter speed, don´t know why when i put the shutter speed over 1/200s it suddenly goes black the image, is that right or my camera is broken?
Not sure how to navigate through Nikon menus but that's the camera's flash sync speed, so try using a mode without flash. I'm not too experienced with their lenses.

tino

Banned
mooooose said:
I'm interested in getting into film but I don't know anything. What's a good cheap film camera that I can get on eBay? Looking for $50>

What lens do you have?

Nikon? Canon? Pentax? You can use film body with them.

If you don't have anything, its pushing it to get a rangefinder with $50.

Antimatter said:
Not sure how to navigate through Nikon menus but that's the camera's flash sync speed, so try using a mode without flash. I'm not too experienced with their lenses.

Thanks for the advice, one thing though i just wanted to know, how do you capture a focus picture of a moving car, sorry for being such a stupid/noob person but i don´t actually know how to do it because i go to S mode in the camera and the fucking car doesn´t look focus at all, thanks in advanced for the help.

Zoille

Davedough said:
So... Photo-Gaf. I have a question.

After my father passed, my mother had held onto most of his things for some time and just this past weekend, she asked me to clean out the attic of his stuff. In the end, I ended up with some old school vintage photo equipment.

Is there a market for vintage photography equipment? All of the stuff that I have, appears to work and ranges from a small Mamiya "spy camera" which looks like its probably 110mm, but I cant tell for sure to a rather large hulking Mamiya camera that almost looks like an old school polaroid in the fact that you look down through the top of the camera at what the lens is focusing on and insert a film "card" (sorry, I'm not a photo guy), snap the photo then remove the card and develop the picture. Both pieces appear to be mid-late 1960s style stuff.

I also got a good deal of dark room developing equipment, again... old stuff. There's this big camera looking thing that slides on a telescopic, metered pole that looks like its made for taking smaller pictures and blowing them up to larger ones.

So, is there a market for this stuff from people who cling to vintage photo equipment, or has it all been usurped by digital SLR?
There's a market for film camera. You can contact Adorama if you want a quote.

East Lake

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
Thanks for the advice, one thing though i just wanted to know, how do you capture a focus picture of a moving car, sorry for being such a stupid/noob person but i don´t actually know how to do it because i go to S mode in the camera and the fucking car doesn´t look focus at all, thanks in advanced for the help.
Two things will help, a high shutter speed and a small aperture. The faster the shutter speed the more clear it will look, and the smaller the aperture is the larger your depth of field is. So if you're shooting at f/3.5 it might be harder to focus than it would at f/11, since the focus area (or depth of field) will be smaller at 3.5. I would try A mode, this will let you adjust the aperture and the camera will select the right shutter speed. If you feel the shutter speed is too low and the car is still a blur, raise the ISO a few steps and try focusing again, raising this ISO in this mode will make the shutter speed faster.

You can also look at exif data on flickr from people who take pictures of cars, which will give you an idea for which settings may be appropriate in different situations.

Antimatter said:
Two things will help, a high shutter speed and a small aperture. The faster the shutter speed the more clear it will look, and the smaller the aperture is the larger your depth of field is. So if you're shooting at f/3.5 it might be harder to focus than it would at f/11, since the focus area (or depth of field) will be smaller at 3.5. I would try A mode, this will let you adjust the aperture and the camera will select the right shutter speed. If you feel the shutter speed is too low and the car is still a blur, raise the ISO a few steps and try focusing again, raising this ISO in this mode will make the shutter speed faster.

You can also look at exif data on flickr from people who take pictures of cars, which will give you an idea for which settings may be appropriate in different situations.

OH WOW! i am actually mindblowned, thank you very much, didn´t expect this, now i understand, gonna try it, and again thank you very much.

the fast shutter speed/small aperture advice is pretty failsafe if you just want to capture the car, but if you're after a more dynamic shot i'd also try panning, which involves moving the camera with the subject at a fairly low shutter speed - 1/50 or slower is probably best, though the slower it is the harder it becomes to pull off. takes practice but is fun and useful! if you get it right the subject should be in focus with everything else blurred to emphasise the motion.

tumblr_lkm2htvvBB1qbsgauo1_500.jpg

this isn't great but is the most recent example i could find on my blog - took it a couple of weeks ago. 1/50, f/5.6, 28mm, ISO 100.

mooooose said:

you after a compact, SLR, rangefinder etc?

it might be worth getting a holga or something just to get used to the whole process and come up with very obviously non-digital results. my first film camera was a holga 135 and i love the little guy.

another great camera is the vivitar ultra wide & slim, also made by superheadz with other names such as eximus, UWS, etc...should be about $30 new at the most (mine came free with a magazine here)

Clover%2BSan%2BUWS.jpg

mine looks like this but it comes in a thousand different colour variations. it has a 22mm lens (which is equivalent to 14.5mm on a crop DSLR, so it's really wide) and gets awesome results (if you like vignetting and slightly weird colours, at least):

tumblr_ljlc2jIvJT1qbsgauo1_500.jpg

this is the one camera i always, without fail have in my bag. weighs nothing, costs nothing.

tino said:
What lens do you have?

Nikon? Canon? Pentax? You can use film body with them.

Not all DSLR lenses will cover a 35mm frame of film. With Canon, if your lens is EF, it'll work with any EOS film SLR, while if it's EF-S, the image circle is not large enough. Nikon and Pentax have similar designations, but I'm not sure what they are off hand.

tino

Banned
chaostrophy said:
Not all DSLR lenses will cover a 35mm frame of film. With Canon, if your lens is EF, it'll work with any EOS film SLR, while if it's EF-S, the image circle is not large enough. Nikon and Pentax have similar designations, but I'm not sure what they are off hand.
Lets see what lens he has first. Usually a APS zoom lens can cover the whole 35mm circle in the telephoto end.

chimster

LX5 yay or nay?

Looking for a P&S that excels in low light. Going to an outdoor blacktie event in two weeks and I don't want to be walking around with my dslr.

luoapp

chimster said:
LX5 yay or nay?

Looking for a P&S that excels in low light. Going to an outdoor blacktie event in two weeks and I don't want to be walking around with my dslr.

Olympus XZ1. I was blown away by its near-dslr IQ. Also, it has F/1.8 aperture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom