• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

Canon EOS-1D X

Full Frame
18.1MP
Dual DIGIC 5+ – 17 Times The Processing Power of DIGIC 4
ISO 100-51200 Native
100,000 Pixel RGB Metering Sensor
EOS iSA (Intelligent Subject Analysis)
61 Point AF
21 f/5.6 Cross Type Sensors
20 f/4 Cross Type Sensors
5 f/2.8 Cross Type Senors
EOS iTR AF (Intelligent Tracking & Recognition Auto Focus)
12 Frames Per Second
14 Frames Per Second JPG Only

400,000 Shot Rated Shutter
Ethernet Connection
March Availability

http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/10/canon-eos-1d-x-possible-press-release/

Combining a 100,000-pixel RGB metering sensor and DIGIC 4 processor, the Canon EOS-1D X’s new AE system, the EOS iSA (Intelligent Subject Analysis) System, is capable of determining not only brightness levels, but also a subject’s face and target color, making possible high-precision exposure control. The newly developed AF system incorporates an AF sensor with a total of 61 autofocus points for improved high-precision subject capture. The sensor includes 21 f/5.6 cross-type sensors, 20 f/4.0 cross-type sensors, and 5 f/2.8 dual cross-type sensors. Equipped with 20 f/4.0 AF points, the new camera offers the same level of precision as the EOS-1D Mark IV at f/2.8. Additionally, working in tandem with the new AE system, the camera’s EOS iTR AF (Intelligent Tracking and Recognition Auto Focus) function is capable of tracking a subject’s face or target color to maintain focus on a moving subject.

sfedai0

Banned
Guys, can someone explain focal lengths? Am I correct in that focal length can not be adjusted on prime lens, like my 50mm? What can adjusting focal lengths do on say, my 12-60mm?

Mistle

sfedai0 said:
Guys, can someone explain focal lengths? Am I correct in that focal length can not be adjusted on prime lens, like my 50mm? What can adjusting focal lengths do on say, my 12-60mm?
Focal length is just how "zoomed" in it is. Correct, you can not adjust a prime lens.
For the 12-60mm, you can adjust it to be anywhere between those lengths. With 12 being zoomed out and 60 zoomed in.

sfedai0

Banned
Mistle said:
Focal length is just how "zoomed" in it is. Correct, you can not adjust a prime lens.
For the 12-60mm, you can adjust it to be anywhere between those lengths. With 12 being zoomed out and 60 zoomed in.

Awesome, thanks! So basically cropping your pics.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
When you're at those apertures, those are the amount of cross-type AF points available to use. I think if you're above 5.6 it can use them all? Not sure...

New 61-Point High Density Reticular AF

The EOS-1D X includes a brand new 61-Point High Density Reticular AF, the most sophisticated DSLR AF system Canon has ever released. The 21 focusing points in the central area are standard precision cross-type and effective with maximum apertures as small as f/5.6, depending on the lens in use. The center five points are also high-precision diagonal cross-type points for maximum apertures as small as f/2.8. All 61 points are sensitive to horizontal contrast with maximum apertures as small as f/5.6 and 20 of the outer focusing points function as cross-type points with maximum apertures as small as f/4.0. Other innovations of the new 61-point High Density Reticular AF include expanded AF coverage area, superior focusing precision and low light sensitivity, and greater low-contrast subject detection capability compared to earlier EOS AF systems. (See image below for AF point configuration)

2d0niw2.png

giga

When asked to for the biggest improvement in the new camera, Westfall stresses that every aspect of the camera has been re-assessed but finally concludes: 'If you had to highlight just one thing, I'd say the sensor. It's a new level for us in terms of image quality.'

'There's a couple of things that we consider when we think about IQ: number one on this sensor is noise. It's clear the noise level is better than in the 1D Mk IV or the 1DS III. The pixel size is larger than in the 1DS III or 5D Mark II (6.95 microns, versus 6.4) and the difference is even more striking compared to the 5.7 micron pixels in the 1D Mark IV. That helps us in terms of light capturing ability and increases the signal to noise ratio. In turn, that does nothing but help the dynamic range of the camera.'

And its this improvement in image quality that Westfall believes will make the 1D X appeal to 1DS as well as 1D users. 'I think the factor that's going to make that a reality is the noise level is better than anything we've seen before. With cleaner images, people are going to feel much more comfortable up-rezing an image. Not many people need a 21MP file to begin with, so they're going to love the IQ of this camera and the quality's good enough that those people who do need those huge files will find the images clean enough to use them.'
Show me samples god damn it Canon!

VNZ

I'm glad the megapixel race is officially over (in this part of the market at least). Now, bring on 5DmkIII.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
VNZ said:
I'm glad the megapixel race is officially over (in this part of the market at least). Now, bring on 5DmkIII.
It's kind of odd to think the next 5D is probably going to have more megapixels than the 1DX.

Xun

The 1D X looks... beautiful.

Good to see them merging the 1D and 1Ds product lines. It makes more sense.

Whenever it's released 5D Mark III will be mine.

Omiee

well im finally going to buy a nikon 3100, im loving my sony nex but i just really want to be able to use more lenses.

any recommendations?

Damaged

Omiee said:
well im finally going to buy a nikon 3100, im loving my sony nex but i just really want to be able to use more lenses.

any recommendations?

Not too sure what you mean by recommendations but I have a D3100 and its a great camera, as far as lenses for it go i'm told that the 35mm f1.8 G DX is a good cheap prime lens to start with. I'm still on the kit 18 to 55mm that came with it and a cheap second hand 55 to 200mm I picked up on holiday in Japan

Omiee

Damaged said:
Not too sure what you mean by recommendations but I have a D3100 and its a great camera, as far as lenses for it go i'm told that the 35mm f1.8 G DX is a good cheap prime lens to start with. I'm still on the kit 18 to 55mm that came with it and a cheap second hand 55 to 200mm I picked up on holiday in Japan

im sorry i meant lens recommendations.

i was thinking about picking these two up.

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/153120/nikon-af-s-dx-55-200mm-f-4-56-vr.html

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/243193/tamron-af-70-300mm-f-40-56-di-ld-macro-(nikon).html#tab:info

Damaged

Omiee said:

Ah Cool, well I have the first lens you mentioned and i'm fairly happy with it, its nice and light and has given me some good results but can be a little slow to focus. Personally I wouldn't really bother with anything over 200mm but that's mainly just because must of the shots i take don't need it.

Id say get one prime lens, either the 35mm or 50mm dx lens then if you want a zoom go for either the 55 to 200mm an 18 to 200mm

tino

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
This'll probably be the case :(

But it would be amazing if they use the 1D-X's sensor in the 5D3
Even Nikon is moving away from it. D700 will be the last "affordable" high ISO low mp body.

giga said:
Canon EOS-1D X

Full Frame
18.1MP
ISO 100-51200 Native
61 Point AF
12 Frames Per Second

Ethernet Connection
March Availability

http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/10/c...press-release/

$7k, oh my word

golem

UnluckyKate said:
About Canon rumor list for the 1D, can someone explain this to me:

?

Cross type sensors also work at apertures bigger than them

So its:

21 cross at f/5.6
41 cross at f/4
36 cross at f/2.8 + 5 that now work as diagonal cross

I think

tino

Banned
golem said:
Cross type sensors also work at apertures bigger than them

So its:

21 cross at f/5.6
41 cross at f/4
36 cross at f/2.8 + 5 that now work as diagonal cross

I think

No, its very complicated, according to photo rumors

New 61-Point High Density Reticular AF
The EOS-1D X includes a brand new 61-Point High Density Reticular AF, the most sophisticated DSLR AF system Canon has ever released. The 21 focusing points in the central area are standard precision cross-type and effective with maximum apertures as small as f/5.6, depending on the lens in use. The center five points are also high-precision diagonal cross-type points for maximum apertures as small as f/2.8. All 61 points are sensitive to horizontal contrast with maximum apertures as small as f/5.6 and 20 of the outer focusing points function as cross-type points with maximum apertures as small as f/4.0. Other innovations of the new 61-point High Density Reticular AF include expanded AF coverage area, superior focusing precision and low light sensitivity, and greater low-contrast subject detection capability compared to earlier EOS AF systems. (See image below for AF point configuration)

canon-EOS-1D-X-af.jpeg

So as far as I can tell. The center 21 points are good points, you can use them for any lens including slow ass kit lens and mirror lens with maximum 5.6 aperture. With a mid range zoom that has a maximum aperture of f/4, you get additional 20 points so you have total of 41 point at this stage. With professional f/2.8 lenses, the center 5 points become "super points" to give you added precision. As far as the other 20 points not mentioned earlier. They are probably just "helper points" to use to track fast moving objects.

Althought I don't understand why canon use aperture instead of a generic "sensitive levels" to classify these points. If I use a fast lens in a dark scene, it gives the focus points less light than a slow lens in a bright scene. So why does the AF points even care what kind of lens is it, except to help Canon sell more 2.8 lenses?

luxarific

Nork unification denier

luoapp

giga said:
Canon EOS-1D X

Full Frame
18.1MP
ISO 100-51200 Native
61 Point AF
12 Frames Per Second
Ethernet Connection
March Availability

http://www.canonrumors.com/2011/10/canon-eos-1d-x-possible-press-release/

What's the Ethernet for? Doesn't WIFI make more sense?

sarcastor

luoapp said:
What's the Ethernet for? Doesn't WIFI make more sense?

ethernet is faster? and wifi will come in an attachment they can sell. i just hope they release a 5dm3 with the DIGIC 5. and fix the god damn low light focusing problem.

luoapp

MultiCore said:
Studio use, sir. When the camera is permanently mounted, wired makes more sense.
I am thinking more along the line of tethered shooting. Isn't WIFI so much better? How about tethered to an iPad wirelessly? Like sarcastor said, they probly just want to sell you overpriced WIFI attachment.

MultiCore

luoapp said:
I am thinking more along the line of tethered shooting. Isn't WIFI so much better? How about tethered to an iPad wirelessly? Like sarcastor said, they probly just want to sell you overpriced WIFI attachment.
Didn't I describe a tethered setup? (scratches head, rereads post) *shrug*

I don't know what WiFi you're using, buy my ethernet gives me ~100 megabytes/second of sustained transfer. 18 megapixel RAW files at 12 frames per second, that's right around 100 MB/Second. Even with a Simultaneous dual-band N router, you're not going to get anywere near that throughput.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-charts/bar/65-5-ghz-up

At best, dual band, you're talking 90 megabits, combined. Not what I would describe as 'so much better', but your mileage may vary.

Edit:
For example, This Guy would like this wired connection. I doubt it will get him to step away from his Hasselblad, but hey, you never know.

luoapp

His Hasselblad most likely has a Firewire800 port, but I think you're right. Firewire is on its way out, but none of USB3 and thunderbolt is adopted by both PC and Mac platforms, Gigabit ethernet seems their only choice. But won't it be nice if they add the WIFI option, since wifi becomes so ubiquitous now? (Transfer jpeg over WIFI for viewing only.)

The biggest frustration I had with my 550D (and as I hear with the EOS line in general) is the audio in problems when using an external microphone, specifically in regards to the AGC. Canon have yet to acknowledge this, so people are now installing custom firmware to give you manual audio control. But I didn't want to install anything unofficial on the camera. Magic Lantern did seem very cool though. It's a such Canon offer such a half baked video system

345triangle said:
let me know how both of these are! i'm still waiting on the 50 1.8...

Didn't have a chance to shoot with it today since I got home late and the weather wasn't great, but the few test shots I snapped seem promising. Thankfully in the hand it feels a lot better balanced then it looks.

Yx0Xnl.jpg

Next on my list is a legacy MF lens. From what I've read the 40mm Konica Hexanon isn't very sharp or contrasty until you step it down into ranges where you might as well just use the NEX kit lens. The quality of the 50mm shots look awesome, but I'm not crazy about that focal lens on a crop camera.

Zyzyxxz

Ok I'll be in Hong Kong in a week or so, I want to buy a new lense while I'm there since I'm only carrying a D90 with a 35 f/1.8.

Need something wider and does anybody have a cheaper recommendation than the 24mm f/2.8? I don't want to go for the 18-55 VRII since it only goes to f/3.5 on the wide end as I will be in somewhat lowlight at some restaurants.

MRORANGE

Zyzyxxz said:
Ok I'll be in Hong Kong in a week or so, I want to buy a new lense while I'm there since I'm only carrying a D90 with a 35 f/1.8.

Need something wider and does anybody have a cheaper recommendation than the 24mm f/2.8? I don't want to go for the 18-55 VRII since it only goes to f/3.5 on the wide end as I will be in somewhat lowlight at some restaurants.

Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 ?

tino

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:

Wider and faster and cheaper than 24mm 2.8? I don't think so brother.

rdrr gnr

My parents want to purchase a Nikon DS3100 DSLR for $599 this week. I have a small photography background myself (few semesters worth of photography classes), but it's been a long time since I've touched a camera that isn't a point-and-shoot. Your thoughts? Be as technical as you'd like.

I hope this is the appropriate thread for something like this. If not, feel free to link me accordingly.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
MuseManMike said:
My parents want to purchase a Nikon DS3100 DSLR for $599 this week. I have a small photography background myself (few semesters worth of photography classes), but it's been a long time since I've touched a camera that isn't a point-and-shoot. Your thoughts? Be as technical as you'd like.

I hope this is the appropriate thread for something like this. If not, feel free to link me accordingly.

What Golem said. I'm currently shooting with a 6 year old DSLR (Rebel XT) and it provides me with IQ I'm happy with.

That Nikon will have better... everything and enough latitude as far as controls to grow into. Plus it has modern fixings like Live View and recording HD video.

rdrr gnr

golem said:
Cant go wrong really with entry level DSLRs
I'm sure, but I'd like slightly more elaboration/options. What about in comparison to the T2i? I'd be willing to make up the price difference if the value was there for me. I'll be using it as much as they are in the coming months.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I used a Nikon D3100 the other day, I was amazed at how small it was, the menus seemed nice, though confusing to me since i had never used a nikon before. Seemed to do pretty well, was shooting night time football with ISO 1600.

Radec

Valkyr Junkie said:
Didn't have a chance to shoot with it today since I got home late and the weather wasn't great, but the few test shots I snapped seem promising. Thankfully in the hand it feels a lot better balanced then it looks.

Yx0Xnl.jpg

Next on my list is a legacy MF lens. From what I've read the 40mm Konica Hexanon isn't very sharp or contrasty until you step it down into ranges where you might as well just use the NEX kit lens. The quality of the 50mm shots look awesome, but I'm not crazy about that focal lens on a crop camera.

Mother of God..

Is the lens heavy? Because I tried using a 70-200 on a D40x and it looks like that, but bigger, and heavier. It wasn't a joy to hold.

Quick question,

Was watching a video review earlier comparing the 600D with the 550D and they said the former's video performance wasn't that great but unfortunately never went into detail as to whether they meant 'not great in contrast to the 550D' or just not great in general. Haven't had the chance to browse written reviews of it but was wondering if anyone had used these two cameras and whether they could relate to this opinion?

Zoe

We just bought a Nikon D5100 a few weeks ago. Up until yesterday I had been using a 4GB Kingston (class 4) card, and the camera was always really quick in turning on the display. I switched to a 32GB Transcend (class 10) card last night, and it's noticeably slower.

Is that just because of the jump in capacity, or is the card slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom