• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

Can you give me some suggestions on a good monitor? I'm not sure if the one I have is up to snuff (it's a Samsung monitor that came my Dell PC). If you can suggest a high/mid/bottom tier monitor, I'd greatly appreciate it.

the_log_ride said:
Hey everyone,

Can you give me some suggestions on a good monitor? I'm not sure if the one I have is up to snuff (it's a Samsung monitor that came my Dell PC). If you can suggest a high/mid/bottom tier monitor, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Maybe try the pc thread instead of the camera thread? lol

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
opticalmace said:
Since more people here are more likely to care about IPS, color accuracy and wide gamut, its not a bad idea to ask here. I've been looking my self but don't have the funds at the moment.

@ the log ride, what's your budget.

East Lake

Damaged said:
Thanks for the advice, looks like all in it shouldn't cost more than £100 for everything I need. Considering I would be getting charged that just for developing ten films I guess it should start to pay off fairly quickly, plus I remember it being fun to do :)

Good call on the garment hanger by the way, hadn't even thought about where I was going to dry the negatives lol

Edit: found a slightly better looking Kit

http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/paterson-film-processing-kit-2562-p.asp
I have that Peterson tank, works pretty well. To add to what hasn't been mentioned I use a Photoflex film changing room. It can be folded up and stored easily when you're not using it.

opticalmace said:

wtf? I figured there would people here who are knowledgeable about photos and the process associated with them.

edit: what captive said

I've got $500 to spare

the_log_ride said:
wtf? I figured there would people here who are knowledgeable about photos and the process associated with them.

I've got $500 to spare
OK, it didn't come across to me in your post that you wanted something that would be good for photos etc. To me it looked like a pc thread post in the wrong place.

That said, I think the Dell IPS monitors are great (U series?).

Stalfos

the_log_ride said:

I've got $500 to spare
I just switched from using a laptop to using a PC and I got the relatively new Dell U2412M which I'm definitely planning on using for my photography and I'm really liking it so far. The reviews that I saw on it were positive and its price is nicer than the U2410.

Damaged

Antimatter said:
I have that Peterson tank, works pretty well. To add to what hasn't been mentioned I use a Photoflex film changing room. It can be folded up and stored easily when you're not using it.

Thanks, was looking at changing bags but a little box room would make more sense

nubbe

The on that uses this kit is by default the best photographer ever.

giZsc.jpg

Stalfos

Radec said:
Haha, looks like just a bit ago they posted an apology in the comments

We know some of you took offense to this post, and we apologize, as it was not our aim to insult any of our friends. Our statement was meant to be interpreted that the right equipment can help you capture amazing images. We appreciate the passion you have for photography and your gear, and know that a great picture is possible anytime and anywhere.

tino

Banned
Just got my Konica Hexanon 40mm 1.8 and the Konica-NEX adapter.

I am glad I went for the best condition copy I could find on ebay and the all-black adapter. The combo looks extremely handsome. The build quality is very good as well. I know what I will be doing this weekend.

tino

Banned
I am guessing its the plus version of the X100 sensor.

Althought if its a 1.5X sensor, it will most like cost more than the NEX7. Than I rather get the NEX7.

If its a FF sensor, it will cost more than a refeb D700, so I rather have the D700.

However if its a 1.3X sensor with a $1500 price tag, I would be like takemymoneydamnit.gif

Did you guys read the rumor of the 36mp D800?

CameraGAF, my wife is thinking about getting the following camera:
Canon 1100D T3

Quite simply, are there any downsides to this camera at all that you are fine folks are aware of? Have you ever seen a bad review for the thing? We can't seem to find any.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
tino said:
I am guessing its the plus version of the X100 sensor.

Althought if its a 1.5X sensor, it will most like cost more than the NEX7. Than I rather get the NEX7.

If its a FF sensor, it will cost more than a refeb D700, so I rather have the D700.

However if its a 1.3X sensor with a $1500 price tag, I would be like takemymoneydamnit.gif

Did you guys read the rumor of the 36mp D800?

Seems like the same sensor will be used by Sony's new FF entry. Interesting times ahead if they're as serious about Mirrorless cameras as the seem to be. Pure out there speculation but it would be pretty crazy if they model their current NEX-7/A77 duality (discrete and sports) with Full Frame. So maybe a Full Frame NEX like camera with a A77 Full Frame camera. The NEX-7 already is geared towards studio shooting (works with strobes) so its not that far a stretch to give it that final full professional push.

tokkun

BlueTsunami said:
Seems like the same sensor will be used by Sony's new FF entry. Interesting times ahead if they're as serious about Mirrorless cameras as the seem to be. Pure out there speculation but it would be pretty crazy if they model their current NEX-7/A77 duality (discrete and sports) with Full Frame. So maybe a Full Frame NEX like camera with a A77 Full Frame camera. The NEX-7 already is geared towards studio shooting (works with strobes) so its not that far a stretch to give it that final full professional push.

FF Mirrorless is a possibility down the line once there is PDAF in-sensor and we can get the benefits seen on the SLTs without the light loss. But I don't know about putting it in the NEX form factor. I doubt Sony wants to create another new mount, and the lens size issue would be even worse than it is now.

sfedai0

Banned
Any of you guys ever use a flash diffuser? I dont want to get a external flash quite yet, and normally try not to take pics using flash. Does it help or is it a gimmick?

sfedai0 said:
Any of you guys ever use a flash diffuser? I dont want to get a external flash quite yet, and normally try not to take pics using flash. Does it help or is it a gimmick?
I am told they help, but you're still stuck with the light coming from so close to the lens. You might as well get an external flash with a movable head so you can bounce the light.

tino

Banned
Regarding the Fuji EVIL, its not a FF sensor. According to their press, the sensor's "resolution and low noice will surpass the FF sensors." that right off the bat tell you that 1) its not a FF sensor; 2) the resolution is in the 20mp range, at least.

And the fujiguy has already twitted that its not a 4/3 sensor, its a "premium product." So the only possibility is either a 1.5x or a 1.3x sensor.

I read up on all the information of the origin of the X100 sensor last night, including the original Taiwanese article where the fuji suit said "It is made by Fuji." I still can't decide if the the sensor is a highly customized version of the Sony 12mp sensor. So I still don't know if fuji have the capacity to fab their own 1.3x sensor. worse case scenerio the X mirrorless will use Sony's 24mp NEX7 sensor. Best case scenerio is a Fuji's own 1.2x or 1.3x 25mp sensor. Make it SuperCCD please!!

tino

Banned
sfedai0 said:
I tried a couple. IMO they don't do anything. The problem is it is still too close to the lens and you don't have manual control of the build in flash.

If you have to go small, I suggest a small manual flash and a diffuser. If you are going to use diffuser you don't need to spend money on auto features. I suggest a reflecting type diffuser.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
tokkun said:
FF Mirrorless is a possibility down the line once there is PDAF in-sensor and we can get the benefits seen on the SLTs without the light loss. But I don't know about putting it in the NEX form factor. I doubt Sony wants to create another new mount, and the lens size issue would be even worse than it is now.

I think the size will definitely expand a bit but I think they'll keep the form slimmer than the Leica M9. The mount issue is definitely the biggest hurdle though. I wonder if they would just try to use the Alpha mount which will compromise the depth of the body but is the only viable choice (obviously can't use the E-Mount and as you said they won't create a new mount for FF Mirrorless). It definitely won't be as small as an APS-C mirrorless but I think the weight and size differences between a DSLR with a mirrorbox and prism and this theoretical FF mirrorless would be worthwhile.

If the M9 is any indication though the extreme angles from a closer than the average DSLR flange distance will need some in camera correction for corner issues they may run into. They've seemingly worked out this issue on the C3 and 5N though, albeit being crop cameras.

tino said:
Regarding the Fuji EVIL, its not a FF sensor. According to their press, the sensor's "resolution and low noice will surpass the FF sensors." that right off the bat tell you that 1) its not a FF sensor; 2) the resolution is in the 20mp range, at least.

And the fujiguy has already twitted that its not a 4/3 sensor, its a "premium product." So the only possibility is either a 1.5x or a 1.3x sensor.

I read up on all the information of the origin of the X100 sensor last night, including the original Taiwanese article where the fuji suit said "It is made by Fuji." I still can't decide if the the sensor is a highly customized version of the Sony 12mp sensor. So I still don't know if fuji have the capacity to fab their own 1.3x sensor. worse case scenerio the X mirrorless will use Sony's 24mp NEX7 sensor. Best case scenerio is a Fuji's own 1.2x or 1.3x 25mp sensor. Make it SuperCCD please!!

Definitely agree with your read on the press release. I'm hoping for 1.3x crop.

All this mirroless hubbub is great though and one shouldn't forget Leica is planning on releasing their own mirrorless (non-rangefinder) body next year.

tino said:
Best case scenerio is a Fuji's own 1.2x or 1.3x 25mp sensor. Make it SuperCCD please!!

Personally I think the last thing the mirrorless arena needs right now is yet another mount standard and sensor size. Isn't NEX an open format? I think best case scenario would be Fuji joining up with Sony- release a X100-like NEX mount camera with the hybrid VF swapped out for a good EVF, along with a line of NEX pancake primes.

tino

Banned
chaostrophy said:
Personally I think the last thing the mirrorless arena needs right now is yet another mount standard and sensor size. Isn't NEX an open format? I think best case scenario would be Fuji joining up with Sony- release a X100-like NEX mount camera with the hybrid VF swapped out for a good EVF, along with a line of NEX pancake primes.

Multiple companies sharing the same mount is a bad idea. When Fuji did it with the S series DSLR, it didn't work out for them. Right now its not working so well for Panasonic and Olympus either. O keep getting the older sensors from Panasonic. And they have different anti shake technology. There is no synergy. Ultimately O need to be purchased by Panasonic and start making good stuff. Right now they have two drivers driving one car.

If Fuji uses E mount and Sony's sensor, there is no competitive edge. There is nothing Fuji can do to compete with Sony on body price. So why would any one buy a E mount Fuji camera? Making a system with a physically different sensor size, is a different story. You control your own destiny.

That's the same reason Nikon made their mirrorless cameras in a different sensor size. There is a cap between the 1/1.7" P&S and the 2X m4/3 system, so Nikon decided to fill the gap. Now there is a gap beyond the 1.5X mirrorless cameras dominated by Sony and Samsung. If Fuji choose to fill it, they can immidiatedly attract most of the traditional MF and Leica shooters. They just need to have access to enough sensor technology to design competitve sensors. That makes perfect sense to me.

Actually, now that I think about it, they can still use E mount if they want to. They just need to put a 1.3X sensor in it to make sure people will also buy the 1.3X Fuji lenses.

Vinsanity

Wanted to get an SLR for my fiancee who has never owned an SLR before (but is technical enough to use one). Anyway, she wants a "Canon", and the budget is ~$500, but I'm willing to go a bit higher if the upgrade is worth it. Kindly requesting any suggestions?

tino

Banned
liposome said:
Wanted to get an SLR for my fiancee who has never owned an SLR before (but is technical enough to use one). Anyway, she wants a "Canon", and the budget is ~$500, but I'm willing to go a bit higher if the upgrade is worth it. Kindly requesting any suggestions?
If you are not sure, spend 60-70% of money on lens. New features on new bodies frankly don't matter. Whatever $700 body you want to buy this year will drop to $400 next year. Only lenses will keep their value.

Vinsanity

tino said:
If you are not sure, spend 60-70% of money on lens. New features on new bodies frankly don't matter. Whatever $700 body you want to buy this year will drop to $400 next year. Only lenses will keep their value.
Thanks for the reply! I'm totally ignorant about this stuff. Do you have any recommendations for a body/lens combo? Can a decent set be put together from stuff from Amazon?

Futureman

anyone here have the Canon 100mm macro f2.8 L lens?

I'm strongly considering it. I do a lot of video and I can't get close enough for shots at times (currently have a Canon 17-40 and Sigma 50). But I would also use it for photography.

I did own the 135L at one point. They are basically the same price. Had to sell the 135L because I was strapped for cash at one point.

so yea I'm considering these two.

Borman

I had the 100mm macro, non-L (nearly identical glass). My only complaint was that it had slow focus at times. Had to sell it to finance the 5d2, but I plan on getting another one.

Futureman

hmmmm, so what is the big deal with the L? Just the IS?

Since I mainly do video, I shouldn't even worry about IS? Maybe I should just get the non-L version for ~$400 cheaper?

tino

Banned
liposome said:
Thanks for the reply! I'm totally ignorant about this stuff. Do you have any recommendations for a body/lens combo? Can a decent set be put together from stuff from Amazon?

You can start out with a mid tier lens first, and then use the rest of the money to buy whatever Canon body you can afford. 350D, 400D,....all the way the 550D 600D. Non of them are turkeys.

That Tamron 17-70mm 2.8-4 is pretty popular in this thread. There is also a comparable Sigma version. You can also go straight to top tier constant 2.8 zoom. The Tokina 16-50mm 2.8 for example. Both Tamron and Sigma have a lens in this class. Read up on the reviews.

For similar money of a top tier 3rd party lens, you can also buy a Canon mid tier zoom. 15-85mm 3.5-5.6 for example. Or the 17-85, or the 18-135mm. Personally I think they are too slow for the price they charge. But then is a brand name lens, so you have to pay for the Canon tax. I am not a Canon shooter so I can't tell you which one offer better IQ for the money.

That's enough options for you to think about for now.

Borman

Futureman said:
hmmmm, so what is the big deal with the L? Just the IS?

Since I mainly do video, I shouldn't even worry about IS? Maybe I should just get the non-L version for ~$400 cheaper?

Weather sealing and general build quality. That's not to say the non-L is poorly built, it was one of my favorite lenses to hold, incredibly solid. Check out photography-on-the.net for all the differences, but those are the general things that I remember.

Vinsanity

tino said:
You can start out with a mid tier lens first, and then use the rest of the money to buy whatever Canon body you can afford. 350D, 400D,....all the way the 550D 600D. Non of them are turkeys.

That Tamron 17-70mm 2.8-4 is pretty popular in this thread. There is also a comparable Sigma version. You can also go straight to top tier constant 2.8 zoom. The Tokina 16-50mm 2.8 for example. Both Tamron and Sigma have a lens in this class. Read up on the reviews.

For similar money of a top tier 3rd party lens, you can also buy a Canon mid tier zoom. 15-85mm 3.5-5.6 for example. Or the 17-85, or the 18-135mm. Personally I think they are too slow for the price they charge. But then is a brand name lens, so you have to pay for the Canon tax. I am not a Canon shooter so I can't tell you which one offer better IQ for the money.

That's enough options for you to think about for now.
Thanks again! I will seriously look into this. Just to clarify: from what you're saying, the body of the camera is more secondary to the lens. What is the minimum megapixel size you would recommend 8, 10, 12 MP--or is this even an issue? Thanks for your patience with me.

EDIT: sent you a PM, tino. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom