• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
tino said:
You probably can get a Canon EOS3 for cheap. It has awesome eye control!

Yeah, it's cheap, but reparing it seems to be cheaper. I'll know for sure tommorow.

by the way does anybody scan film photos? Do you use a scanner or go to some studio?

Damaged

subversus said:
Yeah, it's cheap, but reparing it seems to be cheaper. I'll know for sure tommorow.

by the way does anybody scan film photos? Do you use a scanner or go to some studio?

I use a place that will develop and scan photos in at the time, saves me getting dust all over the negatives :) I do think a few people here do scan at home tho

subversus

Damaged said:
I use a place that will develop and scan photos in at the time, saves me getting dust all over the negatives :) I do think a few people here do scan at home tho

yes, I'm doing the same. Makes sense... I look through photos and tell which one I want and they just print it. The trick is that I'll need to go there to develop photos anyway.

edit: yeah, but printing isn't the same as scanning... and it costs additional price.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
subversus said:
I scan my own. After sending my Velvia off to 2 different labs in Houston and an out of state lab I was A) disgusted by the lack of quality even from people using an Imacon scanner B) ripped off by the price.

For a 3200 ppi scan they charge $65 for one 6x17. I felt like I could get better results than they were getting, and I would control the whole process. And at just 50 scans for that price I could have already paid for my own scanner, so thats what I did. I have an imacon 343 and the quality is insane. My two most recent picks were scanned with it. And I have a lot more on the way.

It really didn't take long at all to learn the scanner and software, a few configuration things with input and output profiles and I was getting stunning images right off the scanner. My gulf light pic i posted last week, that had very minor brightness and selective color adjustments done in PS otherwise it was straight off the scanner.

I would be more than happy to scan for any gaffer, I can do 35mm, medium format 6x6, 6x9, 6x12 and 6x17. Shoot me a PM and we can work something out.

the only downside is dusting my own images, but its worth it to me to do it myself. Its been a learning process but its good and not all images are super dusty, it seems to vary by how dirty the labs chemicals were.

Chairhome

Suggestions for a good Canon FD to EF adapter? The one that I bought from my camera store sucks, and I'm outside the return window. I'm pretty sure its the adapter that sucks (Kiwi brand?), cause it makes the picture look like it was taken with a plastic lens... the colors are washed out and there is little to no sharpness. When I "freelens" with the lens, the pictures look great, just really magnified cause the adapter is missing. I'm hoping to pay less than $50 for a good adapter...

sturmdogg

I'm thinking of getting either a 35mm or 50mm AF-S lens and a 50-200mm AF-S lens for my d3100. The problem is I can't justify it to myself as most of my photographic needs are currently being met by the kit lens.

Is there really a big difference if I use the lenses I want to buy vs. the kit lens? It's either I get the lens or get a SB-700. Any comments for/against would be greatly appreciated.

Damaged

sturmdogg said:
I'm thinking of getting either a 35mm or 50mm AF-S lens and a 50-200mm AF-S lens for my d3100. The problem is I can't justify it to myself as most of my photographic needs are currently being met by the kit lens.

Is there really a big difference if I use the lenses I want to buy vs. the kit lens? It's either I get the lens or get a SB-700. Any comments for/against would be greatly appreciated.
I have the 55 to 200mm and the only improvement over the d3100 kit lens really is the increased focal length. I just ordered the 35mm after hearing so many glowing reviews, the image quality for the cost is supposed to be too good to be missed.

subversus

captive said:
I would be more than happy to scan for any gaffer, I can do 35mm, medium format 6x6, 6x9, 6x12 and 6x17. Shoot me a PM and we can work something out.

Thanks for the offer, I would gladly accept if I didn't live 5921 miles away from you (assuming you're in Houston). While I have no funds for Imacon 343 I'm eyeing this one - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003G8KRJC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

is it decent?

Flo_Evans

Damaged said:
I have the 55 to 200mm and the only improvement over the d3100 kit lens really is the increased focal length. I just ordered the 35mm after hearing so many glowing reviews, the image quality for the cost is supposed to be too good to be missed.

I love the 35mm 1.8dx.

It can't really hang with any of my more exotic nikon glass but the price/performance/weight makes it a really, really great little lens to always have in the camera bag.

Damaged

Flo_Evans said:
I love the 35mm 1.8dx.

It can't really hang with any of my more exotic nikon glass but the price/performance/weight makes it a really, really great little lens to always have in the camera bag.

Good to hear :) cant wait till mine arrives! thinking ill leave it on the body instead of my 18 to 55 kit lens.

subversus

Damaged said:
Good to hear :) cant wait till mine arrives! thinking ill leave it on the body instead of my 18 to 55 kit lens.

Is it Nikon one? I heard it was not good.

subversus

Damaged said:
Yeah its the nikon one, where did you hear that? Every review I read was very positive unless you were using it on a full frame sensor. For £160 I'm willing to take chance that most reviews are right :)

no, I was talking about 18-55.

35mm 1.8 is badass.

subversus said:
no, I was talking about 18-55.

35mm 1.8 is badass.

The 18-55 is a good lens, too. Of course you're not gonna get the same kind of performance in low light situations with it.

Have fun with the 35mm, damaged! It's fun to shoot with.

Stalfos

Chairhome said:
Suggestions for a good Canon FD to EF adapter? The one that I bought from my camera store sucks, and I'm outside the return window. I'm pretty sure its the adapter that sucks (Kiwi brand?), cause it makes the picture look like it was taken with a plastic lens... the colors are washed out and there is little to no sharpness. When I "freelens" with the lens, the pictures look great, just really magnified cause the adapter is missing. I'm hoping to pay less than $50 for a good adapter...
I've looked around some but reviews on the adapters always seem to be pretty mixed.

Damaged

the_log_ride said:
The 18-55 is a good lens, too. Of course you're not gonna get the same kind of performance in low light situations with it.

Have fun with the 35mm, damaged! It's fun to shoot with.
Thanks :) taking it to a halloween party this weekend so looking forward to seeing how it does in low light

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Chairhome said:

I don't think there's a real proverbial magic bullet adapter for FD to EOS. All of them will come with the glass that will magnify the image a bit or, if you take the glass out, you won't have infinity focus. I may be wrong but I seem to remember reading that the only way to get this to work is to remove the mount from the FD lens, shave it down so it hits the correct register distance of the EOS mount.

tino

Banned
Yeah, try to use a Pentax/Nikon/M42 manual lens on a canon body or try to use the FD lens on a mirrorless body.

Chairhome

Stalfos said:
I've looked around some but reviews on the adapters always seem to be pretty mixed.
BlueTsunami said:
I don't think there's a real proverbial magic bullet adapter for FD to EOS. All of them will come with the glass that will magnify the image a bit or, if you take the glass out, you won't have infinity focus. I may be wrong but I seem to remember reading that the only way to get this to work is to remove the mount from the FD lens, shave it down so it hits the correct register distance of the EOS mount.
Yeah, I just did some research, I guess all adapters have flaws since they're using extra glass. I'm going to try to remove the glass from the adapter and remove the aperture and locking rings from the lens and put em together as you mentioned, BlueTsunami.

Thanks guys.

iamcenok

Can anybody help clear things up for me?
I just bought a Nikon D5100. It takes F mount lenses.

Now, I'm looking for some old manual primes.. but a lot of the time I see for example __mm F/1.4 Ai or Ai-s. Doesn't state the lens mount type whenever I search. Or is Ai the actual lens mount type?

Are there any D5100 compatible vintage lenses?

Thanks!

iamcenok said:

Now, I'm looking for some old manual primes.. but a lot of the time I see for example __mm F/1.4 Ai or Ai-s. Doesn't state the lens mount type whenever I search. Or is Ai the actual lens mount type?

Thanks!

The D5100 will mount any manual focus Nikon lenses, but the camera will not meter with them. You're good with non-AI, AI, and AIS. Nikon AF (not AF-S) lenses will not autofocus on the D5100, but they will meter. All of those are Nikon F mount. AI/AIS is the aperture indexing system that they introduced in the 70s, and the lenses have a rubber-coated focusing ring (generally) instead of a metal scalloped one.

a176

Banned
iamcenok said:

Thanks!

they are all f mount. the subtext just illustrates specific features. wiki has good listing of it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikon_F-mount#Nikkor

however, the 5100 cannot autofocus these lenses. you need to use newer lenses for autofocus or get a higher end body

Zyzyxxz

iamcenok said:

Thanks!

Ai and Ai-S came before AF lenses so they will not autofocus or memter with your D5100. AF-D and D will not autofocus but will meter. Only AF-S and G lenses will autofocus.

All will mount on your Nikon.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
iamcenok said:

Thanks!

Nikon designation glossary

Lens compatibility chart (scroll down)

Almost anything really, but autofocus and metering options will differ depending on the lens:

AF-S Lens Required for Autofocus

Compatible Lenses
AF-S, AF-I: All Functions Supported
AI-P NIKKOR: All Functions Supported Except 3D Color Matrix Metering II
IX NIKKOR Lenses Cannot be Used
Non-CPU: Can be used in mode M, but Exposure Meter does not Function; Electronic Rangefinder can be used if Maximum Aperture is f/5.6 or Faster
Other AF NIKKOR (Excluding lenses for F3AF): All Functions Supported Except 3D Color Matrix Metering II
Type G or D AF NIKKOR: All Functions Supported Except Autofocus
Type D PC NIKKOR: All Functions Supported Except Autofocus and some Shooting Modes

iamcenok

Aahhh thanks fellas, I appreciate the help..

I don't mind no Auto Focus, when I had my Pentax I shot exclusively with 55mm manual lens.

So same applies, I just want a nice manual 50mm lens.
Thats after I get a 40mm Macro AF-S lens on friday. I can't wait!

Flo_Evans

jiji said:
The D5100 will mount any manual focus Nikon lenses, but the camera will not meter with them. You're good with non-AI, AI, and AIS. Nikon AF (not AF-S) lenses will not autofocus on the D5100, but they will meter. All of those are Nikon F mount. AI/AIS is the aperture indexing system that they introduced in the 70s, and the lenses have a rubber-coated focusing ring (generally) instead of a metal scalloped one.
Slight correction, a non-ai lens will not fit unless it has been modified. The bayonet lugs are the same but there is a small lip on there (that some people dremel off) that prevents them from fitting the newer f-mounts

These are usually referred to as "Ai'D" lenses on eBay.

BlueTsunami

iamcenok said:

I don't mind no Auto Focus, when I had my Pentax I shot exclusively with 55mm manual lens.

There's so many good Nikkors to choose from. One thats interesting and relatively cheap is the 105mm f/2.5 AI or AIS. Legendary portraiture lens and obviously great for when you need reach.

giga

A77 review out on dpreview. They really shouldn't have crammed all those pixels if it was going to sacrifice high iso quality that much.

East Lake

subversus said:
Thanks for the offer, I would gladly accept if I didn't live 5921 miles away from you (assuming you're in Houston). While I have no funds for Imacon 343 I'm eyeing this one - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003G8KRJC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

is it decent?
Might be worth considering a flatbed for medium format, or even large format if you get real ballsy. You may ask yourself why medium format? My answer to that would be how else could you take pictures of your pets with this much detail?

Scaled.
WQ3ZD.jpg

6KA6S.jpg

^100% crop of area behind left ear.

and to be clear you won't get that sharp with an Epson flatbed or whatever but they're good enough for most purposes.

tino

Banned
iamcenok said:

Well here is the thing, any Pentax DSLR you buy can meter correctly with manual Pentax lens and auto focus any Pentax AF lens.

For Nikon, if you buy entry level D60 D3000 D3100 bodies, you can't meter with MF lenses and you can't AF with AF-D lenses.
If you buy mid level D80 D90 bodies, you can use all AF lenses you still can't meter with old MF lenses.
You have to go to prosumer bodies D200 D300 (I think D7000 too) in order to get all these functions.
Nikon takes out very simple components off the bodies so you have to buy new lenses.

iamcenok

Once again, thanks for all the help!! :)

BlueTsunami said:
There's so many good Nikkors to choose from. One thats interesting and relatively cheap is the 105mm f/2.5 AI or AIS. Legendary portraiture lens and obviously great for when you need reach.

Looked into the lens, and I'm intrigued. Damn it! You suck, I was supposed to be saving for a car soon after.

AVclub

Zyzyxxz said:
Yes its called a Canon S95 or even a Canon S90 if you can find one refurbished or used. Same sensor but S90 lacks HD video, while S95 records only at 720p IIRC, for photos they should all be the same quality wise.
Thanks, but no thanks. If I'm going to pay that much for a point and shoot, I'd rather it have modern features on it, like a GPS, higher resolution video and photos, better lens, better buttons, and more comfortable grip. As much as I've heard about the S90, the S100 is the same camera but with much of the problems it had, fixed.

Still hoping someone actually has an answer to my query.

Flo_Evans said:
Slight correction, a non-ai lens will not fit unless it has been modified. The bayonet lugs are the same but there is a small lip on there (that some people dremel off) that prevents them from fitting the newer f-mounts

These are usually referred to as "Ai'D" lenses on eBay.
Nikon's entry-level DSLRs, since the D40, will mount non-AI lenses, because those bodies do not have an aperture indexing tab, which is what would otherwise get in the way. I don't believe this is officially acknowledge by Nikon, though (the official word is that they're not compatible).

Zyzyxxz

AVclub said:
Thanks, but no thanks. If I'm going to pay that much for a point and shoot, I'd rather it have modern features on it, like a GPS, higher resolution video and photos, better lens, better buttons, and more comfortable grip. As much as I've heard about the S90, the S100 is the same camera but with much of the problems it had, fixed.

Still hoping someone actually has an answer to my query.

Well if you must have those features then it can't be helped, also where are you located as we can't assume you can buy from Euroland or USA equally.

Flo_Evans

jiji said:
Nikon's entry-level DSLRs, since the D40, will mount non-AI lenses, because those bodies do not have an aperture indexing tab, which is what would otherwise get in the way. I don't believe this is officially acknowledge by Nikon, though (the official word is that they're not compatible).
Well I must admit, I did not know that!

I have a d7000.

subversus

Antimatter said:
Might be worth considering a flatbed for medium format, or even large format if you get real ballsy. You may ask yourself why medium format? My answer to that would be how else could you take pictures of your pets with this much detail?

and to be clear you won't get that sharp with an Epson flatbed or whatever but they're good enough for most purposes.

Looks crazy. But I'm short on funds.

I also need to buy a photo printer. Any suggestions in 200-250$ range?

iamcenok

One more question for you all.

I'll be picking up the 40mm 1.8 macro lens on friday, so it'll be the fastest lens I own.
Later in the day I'll be shooting a music venue.

Hopefully it will be just fast enough to get some decent shots without too much noise.

However, that's not the point of the post. Any tips for a first time venue shooter?
Muchly Appreciated.

Futureman

so is a macro lens called a macro lens because it makes small stuff LOOK macro?

I was just thinking, "Why is it not called a micro lens?"

iamcenok

Actually.. Nikon call their macro lenses, Micro..

But yes, It makes small things appear bigger.. so Macro makes sense... I guess.. Goes either way really.

tino

Banned
Gabyskra said:
Anyone has experience with the Samyang 14mm on a crop sensor?

According to Ken Rockwell, "Optically the worst 14mm FX lens sold today, but much better than nothing at all.

I wouldn't bother with this on a DX camera. I'd use any DX ultrawide lens, like the Tokina 11-16mm, instead. "

What do you know I agree with Ken Rockwell for a change.

BlueTsunami

tino said:
According to Ken Rockwell, "Optically the worst 14mm FX lens sold today, but much better than nothing at all.

I wouldn't bother with this on a DX camera. I'd use any DX ultrawide lens, like the Tokina 11-16mm, instead. "

That's odd though since the Samyang 14 is said to be one of the sharpest 14mm lenses, as sharp as the Nikon 14-24/2.8G at all apertures. The only bad thing about it is the strong mustache distortion and build quality that is not up to the levels of Nikon and Canon.

Just read his review and I think he just got a lemon lens. But I can't blame him for his scathing review of the lens, this is just how it is with a lens that probably has extremely low QC to make up for the low price and great optics you're getting.

tino

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
That's odd though since the Samyang 14 is said to be one of the sharpest 14mm lenses, as sharp as the Nikon 14-24/2.8G at all apertures. The only bad thing about it is the strong mustache distortion and build quality that is not up to the levels of Nikon and Canon.

Just read his review and I think he just got a lemon lens. But I can't blame him for his scathing review of the lens, this is just how it is with a lens that probably has extremely low QC to make up for the low price and great optics you're getting.
The 14-24G is sharper than Canon/Nikon's fixed lenses in that range. The Samyang would have to beat a lot of 14mm lenses from the major mounts before it face off the final boss, 14-24mm.

Any way the part I agreed with was that there are better options for APSC bodies.

Zyzyxxz

tino said:

The thing I hate about him is that each lens he reviews is either the best or the worst but it seems he likes to say a good majority of Nikon lenses are the best blah blah blah.

Seems the guy knows no mediocrity.

subversus

So I just learned that you can control aperture on your lense if it is manual. I feel stupid because I knew it 5 years ago when I was using Canon which my granddad bought in 78.

Now a very important question - if I buy any manual lense and put it on my Nex-3 with adapter will I be able to control aperture? As I understood I can safely buy Pentax, Konica and Nikon manual lenses?

also the second question - will I be able to use these lenses on Canon eos33v with adapter and with no losses in quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom