• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Camera Equipment Megathread

Status
Not open for further replies.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
tino said:
If you are not sure, spend 60-70% of money on lens. New features on new bodies frankly don't matter. Whatever $700 body you want to buy this year will drop to $400 next year. Only lenses will keep their value.
this should really be like stickied to the top of each page of this thread.

Been looking for a camera rig for my T3i. What do you guys suggest? I need one under 200 bucks and I need to be able to place a mic on there.

Also been looking for 35mm lens for my Canon under 300. I guess I'm asking for a lot.

Flo_Evans

sfedai0 said:
Any of you guys ever use a flash diffuser? I dont want to get a external flash quite yet, and normally try not to take pics using flash. Does it help or is it a gimmick?

They help, but don't expect miracles...

I have one of these http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0011000R6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Like tino said the main problem is the light is still coming straight on, it is better than nothing IMHO, but still not as good as a dedicated flash you can aim/move off camera.

BlackGoku03 said:
Been looking for a camera rig for my T3i. What do you guys suggest? I need one under 200 bucks and I need to be able to place a mic on there.

Also been looking for 35mm lens for my Canon under 300. I guess I'm asking for a lot.
Any suggestions?

Radec

BlueTsunami said:
Steve Huff first look with the production NEX7 and Zeiss 24/1.8!

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/10/11/the-sony-nex-7-zeiss-24-has-arrived-my-1st-look-and-video/

Looks like a fantastic camera but I have to say the Olympus PEN3 definitely holds it own (unsurprisingly)!

Gonna read that on the office since stevehuffphoto and dpreview are the only photography sites that are not blocked in the office.

Sadly GAF is included in the block list, including the .net. :(

tino

Banned
EP-3 doesn't have build-in EVF, its not in the same class as the NEX7. Its in the NEX5 class, and I would pick the 5n over EP-3 even with non-functioning video on the 5n.

m43 system has better (and more expensive) collection of AF lenses. But for MF shooters a 1.5X system is clearly better. BTW I got nothing against Samsung's NX cameras but I hate their looks.

Zyzyxxz said:
Looks like the Olympus EP-2 is hitting the market for $299!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003E47XR2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Kinda want to jump in on it since I can get that with the new 45mm lens together for a relatively cheap combo.

Is it the same sensor from the EP-3 though?

Yes and no.

Basics are the same, but ep3 was tweated for AF (i think). Obviously image processing is completely different.

I think Olympus started to get it right with the E-PL1 (after the E-P2). I like the look and controls of the E-P2 though.

Zyzyxxz

Instigator said:
Yes and no.

Basics are the same, but ep3 was tweated for AF (i think). Obviously image processing is completely different.

I think Olympus started to get it right with the E-PL1 (after the E-P2). I like the look and controls of the E-P2 though.

Hmm I was only tempted because I don't want to carry a D90 all over Hong Kong for 3 weeks but then again its no Canon 5D sized beast so I'll deal with it.

I guess I'll be patient for the GF7/GX1 whatever it will be called.

Zyzyxxz said:
Looks like the Olympus EP-2 is hitting the market for $299!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003E47XR2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Kinda want to jump in on it since I can get that with the new 45mm lens together for a relatively cheap combo.

Is it the same sensor from the EP-3 though?
I say look for a used E-P1 body on eBay...a buddy of mine found one in great condition for $170, I'm trying to do the same =)

Edit: It'll get your feet wet into the 43 system without much cost and then you can upgrade to a future Panny GF4/5/6/7/Pro/etc or Oly E-P4/5/6/7/etc body later on if you decide to like and stick with it.

IDK, the AF is slow on the E-P1. I hope he shoots stationary subjects in broad daylight.

He could always use MF, but the LCD (and only the LCD, can't use a EVF on that camera) kinda limits you. And I'm not sure but I think the E-P1 doesn't have the easy magnification button of latter Pen cameras (to aid with MF).

While 'noobified', I think the E-PL2 and especially the E-PL1 are better camera deals in the
m43 world. And money aside, I think they're just plain better cameras overall.

But I agree he should buy a dirt cheap m43 camera now rather than wait for a (pricey) GF7/GX1 that might not meet his expectations.

VNZ

Anyone here using the Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM? I'm currently using the Sigma 30mm, which is nice and all, but I'm buying a 5D soonish and this is the only decent semi-wide prime I find in the more reasonably priced segment.

I'm also curious of the 17-40mm f/4L. It's quite affordable and seems like a good start as a wide angle zoom for a full frame camera. I'm hearing Canon's wide angle segment is up for a refresh so I don't want to invest in the more expensive L's right now… Anyone liking the 17-40 here?

golem

BlackGoku03 said:

Shoulder rig? Maybe the Cowboy Studio shoulder rig and a hot shoe mount for the mic?

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
VNZ said:
I'm also curious of the 17-40mm f/4L. It's quite affordable and seems like a good start as a wide angle zoom for a full frame camera. I'm hearing Canon's wide angle segment is up for a refresh so I don't want to invest in the more expensive L's right now… Anyone liking the 17-40 here?
I really like mine, although using it on a 5D2 exposes softness in the corners more than I ever saw on a crop (naturally). Stopping it down can help quite a bit in this respect. Other than that I don't have any complaints. My copy is sharper at 17mm than it is at 40mm, but maybe that's by design.

VNZ

XMonkey said:
I really like mine, although using it on a 5D2 exposes softness in the corners more than I ever saw on a crop (naturally). Stopping it down can help quite a bit in this respect. Other than that I don't have any complaints. My copy is sharper at 17mm than it is at 40mm, but maybe that's by design.
OK, yeah, I think this is the lens that will replace my current EF-S 10-22mm on a 1.6x crop body. The 16-35mm 2.8L II is just too expensive, and I think I can live without that extra millimeter. It's a shame it doesn't perform too well on the wide end though. How would you say it works as a general street photography lens? It does cover the classic focal lengths of 24 and 35mm which is real nice. Then again, so does the 16-35. Maybe I should go for that one after all…

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
I don't do a lot of street photography with mine so it's hard to say, but it does cover a lot of the classic wide focal lengths like you said. The 2.8 might be nice to have for night photos, but then again you're using it on a 5D so bumping the ISO a stop to compensate isn't too big a compromise.

I haven't used the 16-35 II to compare, but at almost $1,000 more, I find it hard to believe it's that much better than the 17-40 unless you really need that extra stop and (presumably) better sharpness in the corners wide open.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Guys (and girls), I have a question about NEX-3D EF lens adapters. Can someone recommend a good one? I'm eyeing this one. I need aperture control.

tino

Banned
The Kipon one has its own aperture ring inside the adapter. In other words its not using the EF lens aperture.

What EF lens you are trying to adapte? You might as well get a classic MF lens and a cheap adapter.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I've read the Kipon Adapters are a scam. The exit pupil of the aperture being behind the lens has no effect on the quality of the lens itself (by stopping down the adapter). What you get instead is bad vignetting since the aperture isn't perfectly aligned with the lenses glass elements. You do gain DOF though.

You'll have to wait for a powered EF adapter (on that draws its own power or draws it from the NEX body). Conurus in particular are in the process of making an EF adapter that actually works with the EF lens to change its own internal aperture.

tino

Banned
subversus said:
thanks for advice, guys. I'll wait for it then.

Also does anyone of you use a film?
So what EF lens you want to use on a NEX body, maybe I can suggest an alternative. I used to shoot film alot but getting film digitize is still a lot of trouble.

i shoot quite a lot of film; more than digital in terms of how long i spend with the camera in my hand, at least. basically if i want to either take hundreds of pictures of something or take a few pictures of it precisely (which is not that often) i'll use my a55, and if i want to do that without worrying about a big camera (which is less often) i'll use my NEX, and if i want to have fun taking pictures (which is most of the time) i'll use something like my natura classica or newly-acquired LC-A+. the latter is kind of marketed as a toy camera but i absolutely love it as a street camera for the combination of automatic exposure, great lens and manual focus. i just find the experience of shooting film a lot more enjoyable, from thinking about the photo before i take it all the way to waiting for the results in the cafe next to my local camera shop.

like, i went to korea from friday-tuesday and only took film cameras with me - came back with 10 rolls and a lot more satisfying results than if i'd shot 400+ digital pictures. i don't think getting film digitised is much trouble at all? i just go to the one hour photo lab and ask for scans on a CD instead of prints, and it costs me about 500 yen (dedicated negative scanners are super-cheap these days too, if you want to go that route). obviously digital is objectively a thousand times more convenient than film for 99% of people and i'd never want to be without a DSLR-type camera, but i figure i make back a fair bit of the time by taking far less "wasted" shots and almost never having to do any PP at all for the look i like.

Zyzyxxz

345triangle said:
i shoot quite a lot of film; more than digital in terms of how long i spend with the camera in my hand, at least. basically if i want to either take hundreds of pictures of something or take a few pictures of it precisely (which is not that often) i'll use my a55, and if i want to do that without worrying about a big camera (which is less often) i'll use my NEX, and if i want to have fun taking pictures (which is most of the time) i'll use something like my natura classica or newly-acquired LC-A+. the latter is kind of marketed as a toy camera but i absolutely love it as a street camera for the combination of automatic exposure, great lens and manual focus. i just find the experience of shooting film a lot more enjoyable, from thinking about the photo before i take it all the way to waiting for the results in the cafe next to my local camera shop.

like, i went to korea from friday-tuesday and only took film cameras with me - came back with 10 rolls and a lot more satisfying results than if i'd shot 400+ digital pictures. i don't think getting film digitised is much trouble at all? i just go to the one hour photo lab and ask for scans on a CD instead of prints, and it costs me about 500 yen (dedicated negative scanners are super-cheap these days too, if you want to go that route). obviously digital is objectively a thousand times more convenient than film for 99% of people and i'd never want to be without a DSLR-type camera, but i figure i make back a fair bit of the time by taking far less "wasted" shots and almost never having to do any PP at all for the look i like.

wow that LC-A+ looks cool, but $280? I guess I should learn how to properly use that Nikon FG which I already have.

yeah the lomography company is kind of like the apple of ten years ago of the camera industry; the LC-A+ comes in a huge extravagant wooden storage box with a big hardback book (which is really nice), two rolls of film in metal canisters, a shutter release and other stuff that all make the unpacking experience very nice but do make you feel a little like you just bought the night vision goggles edition of call of duty. the camera itself can't cost over $100 for them to produce, so they're definitely price-gouging a bit, but on the other hand i probably couldn't find another new camera that i like as much for $280, so there you go!

nikon FG is a great camera, and shouldn't be difficult to use with all those exposure modes - if you can use a DSLR, i doubt you'd have any trouble. the thing i like about the LC-A is that it doesn't work like a DSLR, though - like, i can manually focus in a nanosecond just by flipping a little zone lever, which is obviously a less "advanced" feature than an autofocus motor or mirror prism, but changes the experience of shooting and is specifically great for street photography (especially as the camera itself is pretty tiny).

Ember128

Got my hands on an NEX-7 to try it out today. Here are my impressions;

1. Bigger. This is a good thing. I've handled the other NEX series cameras, and they were small and awkward to hold.

2. Up to 10 FPS. Very good. However, you can only hit 10 by using first shot focus mode, so after the first shot, auto focus stops. No AF Tracking during 10 FPS.

3. Functions and dials are more numerous, and easier to get to. Easier to change settings.

4. OLED Electronic Viewfinder. Not quite as good as the Fuji X100 Electronic Viewfinder (which is amazing) and one or two odd things here and there (mostly just bug type things) but by far one of the better ones out there.

5. More lenses coming out soon as well. Tried them out, not bad. They'll probably be staggering lenses for release.

6. Focuses SUPER Fast.

Conclusion; If you ever wanted one of the earlier ones, or a similar type of camera, or have an older one and was thinking about an upgrade, get this one.

And as for the Sony Alpha 77;

1. 12 FPS. Holy crap. I thought 8FPS on my 7D was fast. This feels noticeably different.

2. A well designed, if unusual to hold vertical grip. The grip feels very nice, but is weighted differently. I'm sure it would be fine after getting used to it.

3. User friendly, easy to pick up and use without learning much about menus.

Limited selection of Sony Lenses. However, A-Mount goes on these guys.

Don't know how I feel about this guy yet.

If I get to peek at any super new toys, I'll let you guys know. Next on my list though is testing out the MR-EX14 Macro Ring Flash for Canon.

when you say the viewfinder isn't as good as the x100's, are you talking about that camera's straight-up EVF mode or the OVF information overlay? i don't think the former is even as good as the a55's, really, but the latter mode is pretty amazing. man i still want an x100.

tino

Banned
I have been reading high ISO samples of the NEX7 from early owners. Even at 1600 is pretty unusable. Its a shame really. Both this and the 5n has problems (clickerly click.) Lets see what Fuji has up the sleeve come next Spring.

Ember128

345triangle said:
when you say the viewfinder isn't as good as the x100's, are you talking about that camera's straight-up EVF mode or the OVF information overlay? i don't think the former is even as good as the a55's, really, but the latter mode is pretty amazing. man i still want an x100.
The EVF itself, really. The First time I tried an X100 I couldn't tell that it was an EVF at first.

The new Panasonic Mirrorless guys do decently as well, most impressive being how well it focuses during video recoding.

Radec

tino said:
I have been reading high ISO samples of the NEX7 from early owners. Even at 1600 is pretty unusable. Its a shame really. Both this and the 5n has problems (clickerly click.) Lets see what Fuji has up the sleeve come next Spring.

link ?

BlueTsunami

tino said:

Here's a link to a direct comparison between the X100 and NEX7 @ ISO6400: http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2011/...-7-e-p3-and-x100-high-iso-examples-and-crops/

*Disregard the first batch of photos, not sure why Steve Huff thought the variance in metering would be great to lead off in a ISO comparison

I'd say they both perform well with the X100 having tighter more appealing grain. This is all in engine JPEG processing though and Sony are notorious for being heavy handed with NR.

I definitely cannot wait to see what Fuji have up their sleeve though in regards to the ILC X100. The sensor in the X100 certainly performs very well.

tino

Banned
I ll wait for more reviews. Isn't Steve Huff the camera world eqivalent of IGN exclusive review?

The samples I see on xitek are not so hot. I am on a tablet right now, can't link.

BlueTsunami

tino said:
I ll wait for more reviews. Isn't Steve Huff the camera world eqivalent of IGN exclusive review?

The samples I see on xitek are not so hot. I am on a tablet right now, can't link.

His typed reviews are overly gushy non-critical but I don't see how that would effect actual high ISO crop comparisons from him

tokkun

tino said:

Once the firmware is mature it should be 1/3 stop better than the A77. ISO1600 on the A77 is not great, but I don't think I would call it unusable unless you are going for a billboard sized print or 100% crop.

EF lenses probably aren't the best to use on NEX bodies. You won't have AF and the manual focus, especially on the nifty fifty, will not be very usable. You would do well to pick up a 35mm f/2 or f/2.8 manual focus lens for Nikon, Canon FD, or pretty much any other MF SLR system.

subversus said:
I heard that high-ISO film can be killed with x-ray in an airport. Is it true?
If the film is 800 ISO or higher, there's a chance it may be fogged by the security check X-rays.

If you leave any film in a checked bag, it's likely that it will be severely fogged.

subversus

jiji said:
If the film is 800 ISO or higher, there's a chance it may be fogged by the security check X-rays.

If you leave any film in a checked bag, it's likely that it will be severely fogged.

If it take it with me it will be checked with x-rays anyway. Or is it less harmful for them?

also I think there is no use for me to buy FD lense since it won't be automatic on my Canon and they are working on EF adapter anyway.

i shot lots of high speed film at night in korea last week, so this was an issue for me. film below 1600 speed is generally considered safe in the x-ray machines for carry-on baggage, but i always hand all of mine to a staff member and ask them to hand-check it regardless of the speed just to be safe - and never ever fly with film in checked baggage! no-one should give you any trouble over this.

tino

Banned
subversus said:
this one -

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00007E7JU/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I use it with my Canon EOS33V.

I heard that high-ISO film can be killed with x-ray in an airport. Is it true?

The problem with Canon EF mount is that they are auto focus lenses with no aperture control. So when you use the lens with another system you first of all has crappy manual focus, second it is very hard to change aperture. You either have to set it on a Canon body before you use the lens or get a very expensive and big adapter.

If you have invested decent money in the EF system, for example, if you have a 5D Mark I or II body, I would suggest Nikon or Pentax manual lenses. Why these two? Both of them have long flange distance so any model DSLR can use these lenses with a cheap adapter. So all your Canon and Sony NEX bodies can use these lenses. One of the reason I switched from Pentax K mount to Nikon was that its easy to find good condition manual lens due to Nikon's dominance in the pro and amateur SLR market back in the MF days. Canon switched to EF mount too early so there is no alot of manual FD lenses.

Now if you just want a 50mm lens to used on the NEX there is a system I discovered recently that is very good. Its the Konica AR system (not the Konica-Minolta system which is the predecessor of the Sony A mount.) Due to the short flange distance, none of the DSLR shooters was able to use these lenses until the mirrorless guys showed up. So most of the AR lens you see on ebay are very new. You can get a very good Konica AR 50mm 1.7 on ebay for 15 bux. I guarantee this lens has better sharpness than the Canon 50mm 1.8.

For comparison a Nikon 50mm 1.8 would cost you 30-40 and a better non-E version is a little bit more. Pentax used to have a very cheap and good 50mm 1.7 A lens. However the used price has gone way up because all the modern Pentax cameras can meter with old lenses correctly. In fact with AR lenses so cheap you can afford to have a better lens. I got a EX- condition 57mm 1.4 for $65 shipped. There is also a newer 50mm 1.4 you can get for cheap. A NEX to Konica AR adapter is what, 25 bux? you can easily collect a whole set of manual lens for under $200.

Anyway I get done preaching the AR mount. The moral of the story? Never be royal to any mount. The Japanese brands are all band together to con your money.

tino

Banned
Radec said:

I went back to that thread and it turned out the samples I was looking at were NEX-5 raw photos. So I take back what I said about NEX7 high ISO, for now. I didn't know Stephen Huff has a monopoly on NEX7 but apparently he does.

subversus

tino said:
Anyway I get done preaching the AR mount. The moral of the story? Never be royal to any mount. The Japanese brands are all band together to con your money.

wow, thanks for such detailed post. I'm a bit tired now to ask questions but I have tons of them. I never tried any lens adapter so I'm a bit cautious about the whole thing.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
subversus said:
If it take it with me it will be checked with x-rays anyway. Or is it less harmful for them?
the xray they use for your checked bags is much more powerful than the one they use for your carry-on bags. If its ISO 800 or higher ask for a hand check, as long as you don't get a douche power nazi they will be cool with it.

I had my 50 velvia hand checked on the way back from Belize just to see if the Belizean security would do it, but on the way there is went through 2 seperate xrays and turned out fine.

cbox

Question:

I've never done fashion catwalk photography before, i'll be in the Pit area. I have a 7d, renting the 70-200mm IS mk II , enough to get them in frame?

dyonPT

This arrived today:

DSC03445.JPG

Hope it takes good shots :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom